ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

F*n St. has shown everyone the blueprint for recruiting. Go all in on 5 or 6 hammers and just fill in the other 4 or 5 weights with cheap to no scholly type guys. That builds a tournament winning team. They won easily this year with six guys scoring 95% of their points. The other 4 weights could have not qualified and it wouldn't have mattered. Holes are fine if they are surrounded by studs.

Iowa follows the same strategy already, it's just that their hammers don't score as much as PSU's hammers. Collectively, Iowa's bottom 5 point scores in their years tournament only scored 12% of Iowa's total team points. Nearly 1/3 of their lineup failed to score more than 1.5 points and 40% of their lineup scored 2.5 points or less.

Iowa follows the same strategy already, it's just that their hammers don't score as much as PSU's hammers. Collectively, Iowa's bottom 5 point scores in their years tournament only scored 12% of Iowa's total team points. Nearly 1/3 of their lineup failed to score more than 1.5 points and 40% of their lineup scored 2.5 points or less.
But…. they made it to the tourney. We like our guys.

CY2axHbUoAAlJql

The F*** st guys reported they received a commitment from a 9th grader? Apparently a stud state champion who trains at Dave taylors M2 club. They also said more big news coming today?
No. Penn Stste guys did not announce a commitment from a 9th grader. The kid and his family with an assist from Willie announced on Twitter the kid was verbally committing to PSU.
Carry on.

PS
I was impressed you managed to not disparage the 9th grader.

Where can I find a list of schools recruiting classes, or even previous years recruiting rankings?
FLASHBACK: I have done my own recruiting rankings for a few years. Certainly not as long as Willie......he is the Gold Standard....but I tried injecting a little mathematics into it. I believe this was my first attempt. I did tweak it in later years. I think it turned out pretty good. Hey......IT'S FREE:
Obviously this was Pre-Iowa State De-commitments.....Pre-Lee Injury and before I saw Daton wrestle a few more times :)....trying to locate my updated version

Since I haven't seen any site ranking the 2017 NCAA Wrestling recruits......and I can't sleep.....I thought I would take a stab at it. I am certain mine will be different than most sites. I put a premium on guys who are projected to be high All Americans over a team that got a lot of guys ranked 40-80. So my scale is weighted towards the top 10...then 10-20...then 30-40....etc with a bigger drop off between 4 and 5 than between 44 and 45. Last year Ohio State had two guys that were in the top 10....first in their weight class but were rated behind Purdue and Iowa State who had zero top 20 guys and Nebraska, and Purdue that had only 1 top 10. I would have had Ohio State 4th....not 8th. Anyway....here is what I came up with...........Cornell and Iowa were pretty much deadlocked with Iowa State as far as overall points ....but Cornell got the #2 and #4 ranked wrestlers while Iowa got #1 and #8. I go with Iowa because they got Spencer Lee. If there is such a thing as a "Sure Thing"....he gets my vote. So call them 1 and 1A if you want. Iowa State got #9 and #14...plus two other top 50 guys so they get my #3. After these 3 there is a pretty big drop off. I give Penn State the #4 spot for landing #5 Nick Lee and #7 Brady Berge. That is their only incoming recruits this year....but they are good ones. This rating is conditional on Berge....who is the top rated 160 lb wrestler entering his senior year.....says he will red-shirt and wrestle at 149lb in 2018-2019. Wow. Just remember Mason Manville was top rated at 152lbs. last year and over the summer wrestled at 80 Kg ( 176lbs. ) Where is he going to fit in? Anyway..I digress. I have Ok. State at #5 because they got #3 rated Daton Fix as well as another top 30. Ohio State I slot in at #6 for getting #6 and #23. Now comes Oklahoma at #7. I am sure others will have them higher because they got 7 wrestlers in the top 90....more than anyone. But their highest rated is #28....so while this makes them a much tougher dual meet team......will it transfer to NCAA points? I am guessing not as much. After #7 there is another drop-off to the next 5. Here is my top 12. I should Mention Navy had a good year recruiting and would probably break the top 10....but I kinda focused on the "National Powers" that will be in the running for Championships. Keep in mind that schools like NC State don't even show in the top 12 ...but they had the #1 ranked class last year and had few scholarships this year....still a great team. I am guessing that 5 of the top six in next year's recruiting will be the top 5 schools this year.....so the good keep getting better. I am not certain Cornell will be a top 5 team this year but they certainly will continue to be strong in the years to come........It will be interesting to see how this compares to the experts:

1. Iowa.........................#1, 8, 51, 87
2. Cornell.....................#2, 4, 68, 81
3. Iowa State................#9, 14, 30, 48
4. Penn State................#5, 7
5 Oklahoma State........#3, 31
6. Ohio State.................#6, 23
7. Oklahoma..................#28, 33, 41, 54, 56, 70, 89
8. Michigan....................#24, 43, 45, 52
9. Nebraska...................#10, 20, 85
10.North Carolina..........#25, 37, 69, 74, 82
11.Virginia Tech.............#21, 49, 61, 88
12.Missouri.....................#34, 57

UPDATED VERSION: Before McKenna and Lugo announced Sorry its so long.

Last November I took a stab at rating the top wrestling recruiting classes for 2017. Since then there have been numerous de-commitments and transfers with a few more likely in the near future. Some wrestlers moved up the rankings and others dropped So I decided to update my rankings. To review I had listed them as such: ( Can you tell I am bored and still awake?
Since I posted that Iowa State has had 3 top recruits de-commit. One went to Minnesota...One to Ohio State and the other to Penn State. DII Champion at 165 Isaiah White transferred to Nebraska. Te'shan Campbell ( 165 ) transferred from Pitt to Ohio State and Cory Keener ( 133 ) came to Penn State. So....my new ratings are as such:
1. Iowa...still Anytime you get a lifetime 125 lb. wrestler who happens to be one of the best to ever step on a Pa. mat AND the #1 197lber and a solid heavyweight ( The 3 hardest weights to fill with quality ) plus a local Pa. guy....you win.
2. Cornell For all the same reasons as before
3. Ohio State Close call with Penn State but the kicker for me is Te'Shan Campbell. His record as a sophomore was 22-4. Yes he lost to Joseph 9-5 but he is one of the most athletically gifted 165 lbers in the country and fills a dead spot in Ohio State's lineup. Big get. If they also get Joey McKenna.....all holes are filled.
4. Penn State. They added Verkleeren and Keener since November. Not exactly sure where Verleeren fits in yet. Keener is a 133 that has graduated.....never scored more than 2.5 points at NCAAs Not an Earth Shattering addition but helpful.
5. Oklahoma State....they got FIX ....a top 4 ( or higher ) threat as soon as he steps on the mat plus a couple others
6. Nebraska.....Big move up after getting Isaiah White....very talented. Every dual meet in the Big 10 will have a Marquee match-up at 165 next year. Can't wait
7. Oklahoma and everyone else moves up one spot as Iowa State plummets.

It looks like the best will stay the best for a while. Should be exciting to watch. Also...keep an eye on where McKenna and Lugo end up if they decide to transfer. That could decide who the NCAA favorite will be next year.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017

Ok. Reply with your number. This will be a quick trip.
Before we go there, I just need to understand. Why, exactly, are we having this wrestling match? Because I have offended your beloved Hawks? Because I have hurt your little feelings? Because your emotional intelligence is that of an eight year old? Because you haven't scored with an octogenarian recently, and you need to let your frustration out?

Secondly, what is it that this wrestling match is supposed to accomplish?

Before we go there, I just need to understand. Why, exactly, are we having this wrestling match? Because I have offended your beloved Hawks? Because I have hurt your little feelings? Because your emotional intelligence is that of an eight year old? Because you haven't scored with an octogenarian recently, and you need to let your frustration out?

Secondly, what is it that this wrestling match is supposed to accomplish?
None of the above. I just want to embarrass you and film it. It’s going to teach you a lesson about how being a keyboard warrior has consequences. Also, I would like to put a $10k wager in play. Respect your elders boy.

None of the above. I just want to embarrass you and film it. It’s going to teach you a lesson about how being a keyboard warrior has consequences. Also, I would like to put a $10k wager in play. Respect your elders boy.
How, exactly, have I been a keyboard warrior?

You came to BWI. You started shit. Your inferior brain couldn't keep up with the banter without going personal. You got booted.

I come over here, make a comment 100% unrelated to you, and you immediately went personal again. And, now, you are the one challenging me to something on a mat, though no one is sure of what.

So, please, which one of us is the keyboard warrior?

And, I'll respect my elders when they deserve respect. Nothing about our interaction indicates that you deserve anything but derision. Boy.

Well, back in the day, rich folk just sent surrogates to do their fighting. So there’s that. Lol
He’s shown his true colors. Wise decision on his part considering my background, this would not have ended well.

He’s shown his true colors. Wise decision on his part considering my background, this would not have ended well.
Well, if your background was that impressive, shouldn’t things end well for all involved? Or is this the rock-em/sock-em, alternate universe?

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Well, if your background was that impressive, shouldn’t things end well for all involved? Or is this the rock-em/sock-em, alternate universe.
I wouldn’t hurt him, but he would be embarrassed. Nothing worse than an old man putting a whooping on you on the mat.

I mean, obviously, you have money. Couldn’t you just stop on the drive down and pick up a six-er? And then shake hands, clink bottles together and have a mutual laugh at the expense of the universe?
I’d buy him a beer. Wrestling is wrestling and a new fan is always welcome. I’m just tired of him coming on here to troll.

I’d buy him a beer. Wrestling is wrestling and a new fan is always welcome. I’m just tired of him coming on here to troll.
Ah….. dude. Just hit ignore if he’s getting to you. That’s peasy.

Everyone knows the real reason Iowa, Okla St, Minn, tOSU and everyone fails is because only Cael develops average high school wrestlers into elite collegiate AA's and champions.
Seriously? You just went there? Get ready for the inevitable: "My name is Inigo Montoya.... prepare to die" :)

• Haha
Reactions: pml_dad
I mean, obviously, you have money. Couldn’t you just stop on the drive down and pick up a six-er? And then shake hands, clink bottles together and have a mutual laugh at the expense of the universe?
Repeat of the Iowa/Missouri Honey War

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT