ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting?

Iowa staff should utilize guys like Marinelli, Cassioppi, and Young to reach out to recruits through social media or even text if they can get numbers. What's stopping Marinelli to text a current prospect that Iowa is interested in and just touch base. Nothing stopping that. Imagine Marinelli reach out to some of the top current 8th-10th graders to let them know Iowa is watching. That would do nothing but help. From what I hear that's was Sammy Sasso does at tOSU, Yianni at Cornell also.

Iowa staff should utilize guys like Marinelli, Cassioppi, and Young to reach out to recruits through social media or even text if they can get numbers. What's stopping Marinelli to text a current prospect that Iowa is interested in and just touch base. Nothing stopping that. Imagine Marinelli reach out to some of the top current 8th-10th graders to let them know Iowa is watching. That would do nothing but help. From what I hear that's was Sammy Sasso does at tOSU, Yianni at Cornell also.
Except in your scenario, most people that don't identify as Hawk fans would ask..."Who is Alex Marinelli and what did he accomplish as a collegian"?

Except in your scenario, most people that don't identify as Hawk fans would ask..."Who is Alex Marinelli and what did he accomplish as a collegian"?
If anyone from the school lets an 8th grader know they are watching him, it matters. They check out the school and feel good about being important. The coaches have to close the deal, but any bit of interest makes most kids feel goos about themselves.

They were already buddies. Plus he was on the team. Much different than a booster calling up a HS kid he doesn’t know.
Ok. I chimed in because I thought you were saying wrestler on teams cannot help recruit.

If anyone from the school lets an 8th grader know they are watching him, it matters. They check out the school and feel good about being important. The coaches have to close the deal, but any bit of interest makes most kids feel goos about themselves.
Wouldn’t it be better to have a coach or former wrestler go to that school and give a 90 minute instruction? Build personal relationships with the kids and the coaches.

We have/do.
oh-right-hows-that-going-for-you-so-far-tom-ellis.gif

Both are hammers from St. Ed's Ohio. They are a package deal wherever they go. Both very skilled wrestlers.
I see Jarrell is # 21 in his class, but I didn’t see Ty in the top 100 on flo. Is there a big talent difference? Anyone know is they are leaning towards tOSU?

I see Jarrell is # 21 in his class, but I didn’t see Ty in the top 100 on flo. Is there a big talent difference? Anyone know is they are leaning towards tOSU?
From what I have heard, one is better than the other, but they are both good talents. I watched them at Powerade Tournament last year. I heard rumors of Virginia Tech, Iowa State, and NC State being some of their choices. @smalls103 would know.

Willie had Ty #10 at 175. He will be behind Angelo or Gabe if he commits to Iowa.

From what I have heard, one is better than the other, but they are both good talents. I watched them at Powerade Tournament last year. I heard rumors of Virginia Tech, Iowa State, and NC State being some of their choices. @smalls103 would know.
He said in the comments of his post that his top 3 is Iowa, Iowa St., and tOSU.

He said in the comments of his post that his top 3 is Iowa, Iowa St., and tOSU.
I think they would fit in good. I heard they were at Iowa in April training when couple recruits were there and they looked solid. That was the weekend Deluca, Estrada, Black, Verrette, and the Jr. High PA kid Hutcherson was there. St. Ed's crew came out. One of them would most likely sit behind Arnold and Ferrari though.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
I think they would fit in good. I heard they were at Iowa in April training when couple recruits were there and they looked solid. That was the weekend Deluca, Estrada, Black, Verrette, and the Jr. High PA kid Hutcherson was there. St. Ed's crew came out. One of them would most likely sit behind Arnold and Ferrari though.

Which would be fine for the lesser/smaller of the two as he isn’t a high end recruit. He’s 1-2 years behind them as well so it would open up for him eventually.

JR, the bigger one, is better but both continue to get better. Both runner ups in Ohio this year, JR won it last year. Pretty solid on their feet and offensive, good builds too. Solid on top for being from Ohio but room for improvement there. Good fits and seem to be good kids, would be a nice pick up

Reactions: FUMBLE-ROOSKY
JR, the bigger one, is better but both continue to get better. Both runner ups in Ohio this year, JR won it last year. Pretty solid on their feet and offensive, good builds too. Solid on top for being from Ohio but room for improvement there. Good fits and seem to be good kids, would be a nice pick up
They both are athletic from what I seen. I wonder when they will make their decision. Both are high character kids also from what I have heard.

Last edited:
really good kids and the father is a good dude too.

i've long wanted to link them to Iowa and i almost put them in my target article but the path to starting would be crowded for Ty.

There was a time when i thought JR was the next big thing. he made fargo and state finals as a frosh and showed good ability on top. i don't want to say he leveled off, but he hasn't made the jump i expected him to although that could certainly still come. he's been 2-2-2 in ohio big school (toughest) division and, really, was a massive favorite over his finals opponent (Kowalski, also a Junior). JR was 4th at Ironman in the same bracket where he majored kids that beat Kowalski (who took 8th).

Ty was 7th at Ironman in a really loaded bracket and 2nd and 5th at state tourney. don't worry about that state finals loss - it was to Carson Thomas who is going to be real high on JR big board. he was 3rd at Vegas losing only to Dreshaun and giving up a bunch of weight.

i think you'd love them at iowa and really think they are in play for ya.

i've long wanted to link them to Iowa and i almost put them in my target article but the path to starting would be crowded for Ty.

There was a time when i thought JR was the next big thing. he made fargo and state finals as a frosh and showed good ability on top. i don't want to say he leveled off, but he hasn't made the jump i expected him to although that could certainly still come. he's been 2-2-2 in ohio big school (toughest) division and, really, was a massive favorite over his finals opponent (Kowalski, also a Junior). JR was 4th at Ironman in the same bracket where he majored kids that beat Kowalski (who took 8th).

Ty was 7th at Ironman in a really loaded bracket and 2nd and 5th at state tourney. don't worry about that state finals loss - it was to Carson Thomas who is going to be real high on JR big board. he was 3rd at Vegas losing only to Dreshaun and giving up a bunch of weight.

Sounds similar to the Brands, probably better, when they were twins coming out of high school. Tom was the lesser recruit, who achieved more. Both look long and athletic, and we said we want to try to develop guys who are athletic. Would be a great get for the right price.

Good info Willie Smalls.

RE Jarrell Miller, I like that he seems athletic, I like that he has a longer body type with long arms. Someone had him in the low 20s in his class which is better than Franklin was ranked. With the AJ situation up in the air they need someone. You can't say he is elite blue chip level at this time but I am at least encouraged he has some physical attributes to potentially get to that level. Ty is not considered as good but would be good value for a guy who is more of a project.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT