ADVERTISEMENT

relatives playing high level sports

My (nopic) wife’s cousin was a star volleyball player in the SEC back in the day (woman athlete of the year, HOF, etc.). She coaches HS volleyball now and has 7 or 8 state championships under her belt.

Her daughter was on some of those state championship teams and plays for FSU volleyball currently.

Reactions: BelemNole
Both brother in laws, one was in the NFL for 7 or 8 years, the other was a top motor cross racer. They are on opposite sides of the family. (one is my sister's husband the other my wife's brother)

Currently my nephew plays D1 football, and I have a niece that will play D1 soccer next year.
Damn that is very impressive.

i have enjoyed many meals, time feb /05 with Dave Wannstedt over the years, and was invited and accepted to a bar-b-q at Mike Singletary's place in Calif. That was a lively time with many of the 9er players, coaches. Both are just good down to earth family men. Mike would board an airplane every Sat night and fly to Chicago to preach at his church and fly back to SF or where the team was playing for the game.

Last edited:
My kid is in the top 10 for the 800, top 25 for 1600, top 30 for XC in the state across all classes. He should likely be D1 track material by senior year. He's a current junior.

My wife's cousin is married to Justin Tucker of Baltimore Ravens fame. I was at his wedding and hung out with him several times.

My cousin has played goalie for

Tampa Bay Lightning
New Jersey Devils
Columbus Blue Jackets
Arizona Coyotes
Dallas Stars
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers

All just as a fill-in when the starter is injured, but he is the all-time leader in AHL wins for American players. He did work as an analyst for Vegas Golden Knights.

My no-pic niece played D1 softball from 2008 to 2011. She holds school records for career batting avg, runs scored (single season and career), HRs (single season and career), and career RBI's. She got a nice mention in SI back in the day.

That's the best I've got but she was pretty good. Married with three kids now.

My cousin has played goalie for

Tampa Bay Lightning
New Jersey Devils
Columbus Blue Jackets
Arizona Coyotes
Dallas Stars
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers

All just as a fill-in when the starter is injured, but he is the all-time leader in AHL wins for American players. He did work as an analyst for Vegas Golden Knights.
goalies rule.

Reactions: lonestar50
My Dad was a golden glove champ in Minnesota, then Iowa.

Daughter pitched for the Hawk softball team. Multiple all conference awards.

Cousin won 5000+ races as a jockey.

BL played special teams for the Chiefs and Steelers.
Do you know if your cousin won any graded races? Did he ever jockey in or win any of the big races?

Do you know if your cousin won any graded races? Did he ever jockey in or win any of the big races?
I believe he won the Haskell Stakes, and other small stakes races. Only raced in one of the Triple crown races, but did not win.
Great memories of his days at Aksarben. He did very well there.

I have a distant cousin (share a great grandfather) that played hockey at North Dakota and is currently with the Vancouver Canucks

My Dad was a golden glove champ in Minnesota, then Iowa.

Daughter pitched for the Hawk softball team. Multiple all conference awards.

Cousin won 5000+ races as a jockey.

BL played special teams for the Chiefs and Steelers.
Probably not the same jockey, but the jockey with the most mounts in a season and second most wins in a season at Aksarben has Iowa roots. He now lives in Arkansas.
Initials T. D. Also over 5000 wins.

Niece played water polo for Santa Clara U
Other Niece on Equestrian team for SDSU.
Godson played Soccer for Sonoma State (I mean, if we're going as far as mom's brother's son's son, we can go godson)
Nephew Played football for SDSU (played against Iowa)

My father used to claim that we were related to Enos Slaughter, HOF player for a few teams (mainly the Cardinals).

We always thought he was full of crap until after he died when my nephew did one of those ancestry site things...sure enough, "Country" was indeed a VERY distant relative.

My father used to claim that we were related to Enos Slaughter, HOF player for a few teams (mainly the Cardinals).

We always thought he was full of crap until after he died when my nephew did one of those ancestry site things...sure enough, "Country" was indeed a VERY distant relative.
As a kid i had his baseball card, and remember that from the 50s.

I worked for a summer with a guy who got called up to the Montreal Expos, tore up his knee shagging balls pre-game & never made it into a game. Wish I could remember his name.

I have a ball with country, Lou Brock, and Bob Gibson on it!

Not higher level, but my son played football at NAIA Morningside University the last 3 years. 1st year played DE, made the travel roster, got 2nd half scrub minutes and ended the season with a National Championship. Switched to TE his Sophomore year and worked his way to 2nd string. Started his Junior year and was a situational player, usually in on running plays as he doesn’t have great hands, but is a fantastic blocker.

He’s now a Senior and decided to give up football which we fully support. He escaped injury free and is tired of the 10 months a year he has to give to the program. It’s nearly impossible to have a job, be a student and play football.

I hope he at least is recognized and gets a free schooner at Miles.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
I played football at UNI. Grew up in Eastern Iowa and was a huge hawk fan. Had an opportunity to walk on at Iowa but didn't like the way Reese Morgan communicated, and received scholarships from FCS which easily swayed my decision. My teammates still call me a "Hawk Head" to this day and give me crap for being a big Iowa fan in college.

Reactions: Wadukester
Rick Heller's grandpa and DH's grandma were siblings. So a cousin?

My niece played softball at Central.

I have a cousin that regularly runs 20 miles for breakfast. That’s all I have.

I have cousins that played D2 volleyball, another in D1 track & field, and another 2x JUCO all American wrestler. My brother also wrestled D3 for year before transferring to a D2 school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT