ADVERTISEMENT

Remineds me of Connie Hawkins.....

RomanHawk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2019
For those of you too young or with poor memories, in 1960 Iowa recruited a kid off the NYC
playgrounds who would have become one of the top 5 basketball players of all time. Freshmen were not eligible, but in Freshman/Varsity scrimmages and games, he made the varsity look silly.

Near the end of, or shortly after that freshman year, rumors circulated that he had agree with gamblers approaching him on the NYC playgrounds to fix games in the upcoming season.

He was too naive to defend himself. His coach was a very young ex-player (Sharm Scheueman)
with no experience or backbone who should never have been given the job. So Iowa buckled and expelled Hawkins without due process. In the process, they ruined the life of a great player and put the BB program on the skids. The NBA blackballed Hawkins so he played for the globetrotters for many years, then for a new league, and finally a couple of years in the NBA (not sure about that) but by that time he was approaching 40.

There was never any proof or even strong indication of wrong doing. It seems likely that he was
approached, but nothing beyond that.

Chris Doyle had an exemplary and documented record of achievement over a 21 year period. He and Norm Parker were responsible for 80% of KF's success. It can be argued that Doyle's job was the toughest--getting kids to persist at what is basically an unpleasant task. Did he step over the line a few times? Probably. Did he earn the right to fix his mistakes? Yes. Doyle will do as well without Iowa. Will Iowa do as well without Doyle? The answer won't be apparent immediately, but take a close look 2 years from now.

But without due process, his treatment was paramount to termination. It implied guilt. With no one on campus, what was the practical reason for acting before investigation? Iowa simply buckled again. Who made the suspension decision? KF? Barta?

Those who are hanging their hat on the investigation will be disappointed. Since there is no time urgency, if It's ever released, it will be a stack of nothingness. It will be a generalized mix of negatives and positives with enough negatives to supposedly support the separation. I

We are just lil ol' Iowa and we buckled again.

You’re wrong as usual. Do your homework please. Yes, he missed some key NBA years but still joined the league at 27 years old and made 4 straight all teams. But carry on with your Doyle crusade. Iowa will be fine without him.

One of the many great what ifs of Iowa sports. Imagine a sophomore Hawkins with a senior Nelson. You’re talking about a final four caliber team just from those two players. Could have rivaled Lucas and Havlicek for the Big Ten title.

Difference in this situation is that there was just bad circumstance and conjecture against Hawkins and no evidence. There are a lot of outright complaints against Doyle, we shall see if there is evidence more than the those.

Chris Doyle had an exemplary and documented record of achievement over a 21 year period. He and Norm Parker were responsible for 80% of KF's success. It can be argued that Doyle's job was the toughest--getting kids to persist at what is basically an unpleasant task. Did he step over the line a few times? Probably. Did he earn the right to fix his mistakes? Yes. Doyle will do as well without Iowa. Will Iowa do as well without Doyle? The answer won't be apparent immediately, but take a close look 2 years from now.

But without due process, his treatment was paramount to termination. It implied guilt. With no one on campus, what was the practical reason for acting before investigation? Iowa simply buckled again. Who made the suspension decision? KF? Barta?

Those who are hanging their hat on the investigation will be disappointed. Since there is no time urgency, if It's ever released, it will be a stack of nothingness. It will be a generalized mix of negatives and positives with enough negatives to supposedly support the separation. I

We are just lil ol' Iowa and we buckled again.

You don't know what the full charges against Doyle were...you can guess all you want but that's meaningless. Doyle received due process, but terminated that process by accepting a separation agreement. He didn't have to do that. People sometimes accept those agreements to keep testimony quiet...sometimes the offer is too good to refuse. I don't know the reason and neither do you. But he's gone and Ferentz felt it was best for the program. That's what we pay him for. Good enough for me

Reactions: hawkbirch
Disagree.

The investigation will give the football program a basis and a road map to make any changes going forward. The report will almost certainly be presented before the start of the football season. A preliminary summary of findings will probably be made available to Barta a couple weeks beforehand. More importantly, the investigation will provide the University with a clearer picture regarding any legal exposure they may have - minimal IMO based on what has been reported so far.

I don’t know that Coach Doyle is the only person that could be a great strength coach. I am sure if Coach Kirk Ferentz could find him he can find another coach that will be very good. Either internally or externally. Plus they have absorbed much of his traditional training. I doubt they abandon it.

Connie Hawkins on the other hand. We’ll never see the likes of him in an Iowa uniform again. What a shame the university did not fight for him.

I don’t know that Coach Doyle is the only person that could be a great strength coach. I am sure if Coach Kirk Ferentz could find him he can find another coach that will be very good. Either internally or externally. Plus they have absorbed much of his traditional training. I doubt they abandon it.

Connie Hawkins on the other hand. We’ll never see the likes of him in an Iowa uniform again. What a shame the university did not fight for him.
Original poster is wrong on both Doyle and The Hawk. While he was innocent, he left Iowa because he flunked out and was under investigation in New York

519OSZa8FCL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Great read if you can every get your hands on a copy.

Uh, huh - sure, Doyle and Norm Parker (who hasn't coached a game since 2011) are 80% responsible for KF's success. :rolleyes: Are you sure it isn't 90%? 95%?

I like what Doyle has done for the program - he is a pillar to be sure. But, I will not shed a tear for a guy that is going to land very, very softly on a $1 million pillow along with many job offers.

I thought HAwkins got booted because his brother got money from some crooks and loaned/gave $500 or 600 to Connie for expenses.
A sidenote - didn't he dunk 3 basketballs at once - his hands were huge, like 12 inches or something.

Original poster is wrong on both Doyle and The Hawk. While he was innocent, he left Iowa because he flunked out and was under investigation in New York
The only source I have on his departure is Wikipedia. The entry says he was expelled, but not why.
I’ve always been intrigued by this episode of Iowa basketball but it was a little before my time. I became a fan during Ralph Millers era.

My dad saw Connie Hawkins at practice one time. Told us that he was the best basketball player he had ever seen anywhere and maintained that stance until he died several years ago. He was sure Iowa would win a championship. Then Connie was gone..............

Did he step over the line a few times? Probably. Did he earn the right to fix his mistakes? Yes.
First is what got him fired. Plus, wasn't it up to nearly 50 players speaking out? That's more than a few times. He had 21 years to correct the first. Kind a reap what you sew deal, right? Don't want to be fired for being inappropriate and possibly racist, then don't be inappropriate and possibly racist.

He'll be fine with his separation agreement.

Reactions: littlez
I thought HAwkins got booted because his brother got money from some crooks and loaned/gave $500 or 600 to Connie for expenses.
A sidenote - didn't he dunk 3 basketballs at once - his hands were huge, like 12 inches or something.
I got to see Hawk play against the Kings in Omaha and I swear his hands went 2/3 of the way around the basketball. Plus his vertical had to be well over 40. His hands may have also been his Achilles heel as he was not a very good jump shooter probably because of their size.

I got to see Hawk play against the Kings in Omaha and I swear his hands went 2/3 of the way around the basketball. Plus his vertical had to be well over 40. His hands may have also been his Achilles heel as he was not a very good jump shooter probably because of their size.
I read that book in junior high and he was a men among boys. His hand were huge and he was said to be Dr J before Julius was ever heard of. He did a lot of finger rolls like George Gervin and blocked shots like Russel. I'm going to find that book and read it again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT