ADVERTISEMENT

Rest in Hell Pat Robertson

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Pat Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93.
Robertson's death Thursday was announced by his broadcasting network. No cause was given.
Keep scrolling for a collection of photos from Robertson's life
Robertson's enterprises also included Regent University, an evangelical Christian school in Virginia Beach; the American Center for Law and Justice, which defends the First Amendment rights of religious people; and Operation Blessing, an international humanitarian organization.

FILE - Rev. Pat Robertson listens as Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Va., Feb. 24, 2016. Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93. Robertson's death Thursday, June 8, 2023 was announced by his broadcasting network. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)

But for more than a half-century, Robertson was a familiar presence in American living rooms, known for his "700 Club" television show, and in later years, his televised pronouncements of God's judgment on America for everything from homosexuality to the teaching of evolution.

\​

The money poured in as he solicited donations, his influence soared, and when he moved directly into politics by seeking the GOP presidential nomination in 1988, he brought a huge following with him.

Robertson pioneered a now-common strategy of courting Iowa's network of evangelical Christian churches, and finished in second place in the Iowa caucuses, ahead of Vice President George H.W. Bush.

At the time, Jeffrey K. Hadden, a University of Virginia sociologist and a Robertson biographer, said Robertson's masterstroke was insisting that three million followers across the U.S. sign petitions before he would decide to run. The tactic gave him an army.
"He asked people to pledge that they'd work for him, pray for him and give him money," Hadden told The Associated Press in 1988. "Political historians may view it as one of the most ingenious things a candidate ever did."

Robertson later endorsed Bush, who won the presidency. Pursuit of Iowa's evangelicals is now a ritual for Republican hopefuls, including those currently seeking the White House in 2024.

Robertson started the Christian Coalition in Chesapeake in 1989, saying it would further his campaign's ideals. The coalition became a major force in Republican politics in the 1990s, mobilizing conservative voters through grass-roots activities.

FILE - Pat Robertson, stands in front of stacks of signatures as he announced his intentions to collect a total of 7 million signatures during a news conference on Sept. 15, 1987 in Chesapeake, Va. Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93. Robertson's death Thursday, June 8, 2023 was announced by his broadcasting network. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, file)

By the time of his resignation as the coalition's president in 2001 — Robertson said he wanted to concentrate on ministerial work — his impact on both religion and politics in the U.S. was "enormous," according to John C. Green, an emeritus political science professor at The University of Akron.
Many followed the path Robertson cut in religious broadcasting, Green told the AP in 2021. In American politics, Robertson helped "cement the alliance between conservative Christians and the Republican Party."

Marion Gordon "Pat" Robertson was born March 22, 1930, in Lexington, Virginia, to Absalom Willis Robertson and Gladys Churchill Robertson. His father served for 36 years as a U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator from Virginia.

After graduating from Washington and Lee University, he served as assistant adjutant of the 1st Marine Division in Korea.

He received a law degree from Yale University Law School, but failed the bar exam and chose not to pursue a law career.
Robertson met his wife, Adelia "Dede" Elmer, at Yale in 1952. He was a Southern Baptist, she was a Catholic, earning a master's in nursing. Eighteen months later, they ran off to be married by a justice of the peace, knowing neither family would approve.
Robertson was interested in politics until he found religion, Dede Robertson told the AP in 1987. He stunned her by pouring out their liquor, tearing a nude print off the wall and declaring he had found the Lord.

They moved into a commune in New York City's Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood because Robertson said God told him to sell all his possessions and minister to the poor. She was tempted to return home to Ohio, "but I realized that was not what the Lord would have me do ... I had promised to stay, so I did," she told the AP.

FILE - Rev. Pat Robertson poses a question to a Republican presidential candidate during a forum at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Va., Oct. 23, 2015. Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93. Robertson's death Thursday, June 8, 2023 was announced by his broadcasting network. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)

Robertson received a master's in divinity from New York Theological Seminary in 1959, then drove south with his family to buy a bankrupt UHF television station in Portsmouth, Va. He said he had just $70 in his pocket, but soon found investors, and CBN went on the air on Oct. 1, 1961. Established as a tax-exempt religious nonprofit, CBN brought in hundreds of millions, disclosing $321 million in "ministry support" in 2022 alone.

show host GIF by South Park

The thing about Pat, on top of being a despicable human being, he was a major influence on the current generation of mega church charlatans who make the likes of Robertson, Falwell, et al look like good, Jesus loving Christians. So, that's a second strike.

He isn't going to end up where he thinks he will...if you believe in that sort of thing.

He is “resting” just like the billions of other humans who have died before him. Fortunately, he is now unable to personally inflict any more suffering on the world.

BTW, anybody know wtf the “700” stood for? I should know that and too lazy to research.

He is “resting” just like the billions of other humans who have died before him. Fortunately, he is now unable to personally inflict any more suffering on the world.

BTW, anybody know wtf the “700” stood for? I should know that and too lazy to research.
What does The 700 Club stand for?

To keep the station on the air, WYAH produced a special telethon edition of the show. For the telethon, Robertson set a goal of 70 members each contributing $10 per month (equivalent to $97 in 2022), which was enough to support the station. Robertson referred to these members as the "700 Club" and the name stuck.

What does The 700 Club stand for?

To keep the station on the air, WYAH produced a special telethon edition of the show. For the telethon, Robertson set a goal of 70 members each contributing $10 per month (equivalent to $97 in 2022), which was enough to support the station. Robertson referred to these members as the "700 Club" and the name stuck.

It's like a streaming service subscription that is handing out the delusion of salvation.

I feel it happening. Repeal the estate tax, free Pat's money to his progeny without tax burden. Praise Jebus.
Use the money for Austin's homeless issue.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
He was an evil, despicable human being. I won’t dance - probably - but I’ll have a beer to celebrate.
You are certainly entitled to that. I just keep seeing opportunities for the left to take the high-road, showing the right how to "love thy neighbor"...because much (certainly not all) of the Evangelical right hasn't quite grasped the concept.

Remember that scene in Ted Lasso (s3) when he was asked to respond to Nick's insults? I absolutely loved how Ted handled it--he refused to stoop. I'd love to see that in a political debate. One side spews attacks, the other side refuses to respond in kind.

...anyway, I digress. sorry.

You are certainly entitled to that. I just keep seeing opportunities for the left to take the high-road, showing the right how to "love thy neighbor"...because much (certainly not all) of the Evangelical right hasn't quite grasped the concept.

Remember that scene in Ted Lasso (s3) when he was asked to respond to Nick's insults? I absolutely loved how Ted handled it--he refused to stoop. I'd love to see that in a political debate. One side spews attacks, the other side refuses to respond in kind.

Ok, now post about how the Christian right should be acting on every post where they are anything but loving Christian’s.

The high road allows Republicans to continue to win elections. The high road got us Donald Trump. Why is it always on the Democrats to take the damn high road?

Ted Lasso is not real. Ted is the creation of television writers who've done too much therapy

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
The high road allows Republicans to continue to win elections. The high road got us Donald Trump. Why is it always on the Democrats to take the damn high road?
"I'd love to see that in a political debate" <----------that's not directed to either side, but someone has to go first. Since this board is 75%+ left leaning then most will think it's directed towards them and naturally so since most threads are started by the left pointing fingers at the right. (usually warranted too)

Honestly, I don't care which side goes first. I'm just tired of the vitriol.

Last edited:
Ok, now post about how the Christian right should be acting on every post where they are anything but loving Christian’s.
I have ad nauseam and call it out every.single.opportunity I get. The Bible has been weaponized by people who have either:

A. Never read it
or
B. Cherry pick out of context scripture to support a pre-conceived narrative.

If the right won't listen, maybe the left (who's doing a better job of showing love and acceptance) might.

Reactions: 49Superman

When objectively evil people are removed from the human equation, I’m going to be happy. The world IS a better place when they go.

If the right won't listen, maybe the left (who's doing a better job of showing love and acceptance) might.
The “left” advocates for those without power every single day. The “left” practices acceptance of those without power every single day. They get it wrong sometimes but that doesn’t change what’s happening. And the right attacks them and those for whom they advocate. Every. Single. Day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT