ADVERTISEMENT

Rest in Hell Pat Robertson

Pat Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93.
Robertson's death Thursday was announced by his broadcasting network. No cause was given.
Keep scrolling for a collection of photos from Robertson's life
Robertson's enterprises also included Regent University, an evangelical Christian school in Virginia Beach; the American Center for Law and Justice, which defends the First Amendment rights of religious people; and Operation Blessing, an international humanitarian organization.

FILE - Rev. Pat Robertson listens as Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Va., Feb. 24, 2016. Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93. Robertson's death Thursday, June 8, 2023 was announced by his broadcasting network. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)

But for more than a half-century, Robertson was a familiar presence in American living rooms, known for his "700 Club" television show, and in later years, his televised pronouncements of God's judgment on America for everything from homosexuality to the teaching of evolution.

\​

The money poured in as he solicited donations, his influence soared, and when he moved directly into politics by seeking the GOP presidential nomination in 1988, he brought a huge following with him.

Robertson pioneered a now-common strategy of courting Iowa's network of evangelical Christian churches, and finished in second place in the Iowa caucuses, ahead of Vice President George H.W. Bush.

At the time, Jeffrey K. Hadden, a University of Virginia sociologist and a Robertson biographer, said Robertson's masterstroke was insisting that three million followers across the U.S. sign petitions before he would decide to run. The tactic gave him an army.
"He asked people to pledge that they'd work for him, pray for him and give him money," Hadden told The Associated Press in 1988. "Political historians may view it as one of the most ingenious things a candidate ever did."

Robertson later endorsed Bush, who won the presidency. Pursuit of Iowa's evangelicals is now a ritual for Republican hopefuls, including those currently seeking the White House in 2024.

Robertson started the Christian Coalition in Chesapeake in 1989, saying it would further his campaign's ideals. The coalition became a major force in Republican politics in the 1990s, mobilizing conservative voters through grass-roots activities.

FILE - Pat Robertson, stands in front of stacks of signatures as he announced his intentions to collect a total of 7 million signatures during a news conference on Sept. 15, 1987 in Chesapeake, Va. Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93. Robertson's death Thursday, June 8, 2023 was announced by his broadcasting network. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, file)

By the time of his resignation as the coalition's president in 2001 — Robertson said he wanted to concentrate on ministerial work — his impact on both religion and politics in the U.S. was "enormous," according to John C. Green, an emeritus political science professor at The University of Akron.
Many followed the path Robertson cut in religious broadcasting, Green told the AP in 2021. In American politics, Robertson helped "cement the alliance between conservative Christians and the Republican Party."

Marion Gordon "Pat" Robertson was born March 22, 1930, in Lexington, Virginia, to Absalom Willis Robertson and Gladys Churchill Robertson. His father served for 36 years as a U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator from Virginia.

After graduating from Washington and Lee University, he served as assistant adjutant of the 1st Marine Division in Korea.

He received a law degree from Yale University Law School, but failed the bar exam and chose not to pursue a law career.
Robertson met his wife, Adelia "Dede" Elmer, at Yale in 1952. He was a Southern Baptist, she was a Catholic, earning a master's in nursing. Eighteen months later, they ran off to be married by a justice of the peace, knowing neither family would approve.
Robertson was interested in politics until he found religion, Dede Robertson told the AP in 1987. He stunned her by pouring out their liquor, tearing a nude print off the wall and declaring he had found the Lord.

They moved into a commune in New York City's Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood because Robertson said God told him to sell all his possessions and minister to the poor. She was tempted to return home to Ohio, "but I realized that was not what the Lord would have me do ... I had promised to stay, so I did," she told the AP.

FILE - Rev. Pat Robertson poses a question to a Republican presidential candidate during a forum at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Va., Oct. 23, 2015. Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93. Robertson's death Thursday, June 8, 2023 was announced by his broadcasting network. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)

Robertson received a master's in divinity from New York Theological Seminary in 1959, then drove south with his family to buy a bankrupt UHF television station in Portsmouth, Va. He said he had just $70 in his pocket, but soon found investors, and CBN went on the air on Oct. 1, 1961. Established as a tax-exempt religious nonprofit, CBN brought in hundreds of millions, disclosing $321 million in "ministry support" in 2022 alone.
I can’t say I’m a huge Pat Robertson fan, but your thread title is pretty horrible. Geesh.

Reactions: abby97
Why is it always on the Democrats to take the damn high road?
Honestly, because right now many Republicans/conservative “Christians” are lost. I have been a lifelong Republican but all of the Trump/evangelical crap has bothered me a lot. I’m just shocked this is where were at as a country. I’ve never held liberals in too high of esteem but many on the right are now acting worse than they usually do.

@alaskanseminole is right. Something has to change.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
He was a grifter and an asshole who perverted Christianity for his own financial gain.
This. Between Pat and the Trump campaign, my grandpa with dementia donated roughly 75% of his life savings that he had left before he died(without anyone knowing it until after death), leaving my grandma with barely anything. **** Pat Robertson.

Remember when he said hurricane on New Orleans was God's punishment for accepting gays. Posters are only following the Bible and treating him as he treated others.
So when they die people can say rest in hell and they'll be just doing the same right?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Sure u can do that. If it makes u feel better go for it. Pat was a huckster selling miracles and figurines to desperately sick and old people. Not going to admonish anyone for giving their two cents on his epitaph
Yup. This. Like I said, **** Pat Robertson.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Pat Robertson Is Dead, Hell Plans Massive Welcome Party

Thumbnail

Thumbnail

He wasn't a "christian conservative." He was a scam artist that used religion to take people's money. He's a piece of shit and the world is better off without him.
What if giving to his church gave comfort to the donor?

I mean, it is their money.

You might think it's a "scam" but maybe not to them.

Not trying to argue, once again I've heard of the guy and that's it. Know nothing of him or his doings.

"I'd love to see that in a political debate" <----------that's not directed to either side, but someone has to go first. Since this board is 75%+ left leaning then most will think it's directed towards them and naturally so since most threads are started by the left pointing fingers at the right. (usually warranted too)

Honestly, I don't care which side goes first. I'm just tired of the vitriol.
You should be mad as hell at Newt, Rush and Pat then since they ushered us into this era.

What if giving to his church gave comfort to the donor?

I mean, it is their money.

You might think it's a "scam" but maybe not to them.

Not trying to argue, once again I've heard of the guy and that's it. Know nothing of him or his doings.
He has a net worth of around $100 million dollars. It was a scam disguised as "giving to his church." I don't believe in hell, but if it is real, he's rotting in it and that makes me very happy.

You should be mad as hell at Newt, Rush and Pat then since they ushered us into this era.
I don't recall there being too much disdain for Newt back in the 90s--but I was in my 20s and probably drunk in Alaska somewhere. I realize in hindsight, though, he was part of the new era of political polarization.

Rush morphed into a true fear-mongering loon and I tend to avoid the religion for profit types like Pat, Joel, Hinn, etc. Billy Graham was the last true evangelist. I had the pleasure of seeing him in Orlando back in the day.

This is the reason I have always known, many democrats are pure evil. When you celebrate the death of anyone simply because you don't agree with them politically, you are evil. When your entire self-worth is tied up in your political leanings, you are a sad, deplorable slug. As much as I have disagreed with many people regarding the economy and the role of government, I have never celebrated anyone's death as a result of our differences.

This. Between Pat and the Trump campaign, my grandpa with dementia donated roughly 75% of his life savings that he had left before he died(without anyone knowing it until after death), leaving my grandma with barely anything. **** Pat Robertson.
Maybe you're really upset that Pat took your inheritance.

I wasn't getting any of it. Everything was going to a local school district.

Nice try though. I thoroughly enjoyed your clutching of the pearls post above. It's a thing of beauty.
The one thing you said that I truly understand, is that your family has no interest in leaving you anything.

This is the reason I have always known, many democrats are pure evil. When you celebrate the death of anyone simply because you don't agree with them politically, you are evil. When your entire self-worth is tied up in your political leanings, you are a sad, deplorable slug. As much as I have disagreed with many people regarding the economy and the role of government, I have never celebrated anyone's death as a result of our differences.

If it makes you feel any better about humanity, you could get hit by a bus in the next 15 minutes and I wouldn’t care or celebrate it. And it has nothing to do with your political leanings.

Another guy right here who loves himself corrupt, grifting, scam artists. You’re mad at Dems because they’re happy to see a man leave this earth who made hundreds of millions, using Jesus’ name, to con elderly out of their retirements. How in the AF do you not comprehend how ridiculous you’re being??? Seriously, dude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT