ADVERTISEMENT

Returning next year vs. who won't return

the_hermanator

HR Heisman
Jan 22, 2002
So at this point, we know most of our team will be returning. Lee's injury...he'll be back. We are still awaiting official word from Young and Kemerer, correct?

But what about other teams? Obviously, you have Yianni coming back at 141 for Cornell. I assume Lee will be back at 141 for psu..along with JE, that weight is loaded. That is assuming no return of Rivera for Rutgers....is he coming back, too?

Then we have Suriano back at 133 to join Fix, RBY and Desanto. Another loaded weight.

Who are some other big names that I am missing that we can expect to see play a much more pivotal role next year at nationals? As well as possibly some guys who won't be back. And while we're at it, the Stanford transfers and where they are going.

One big name from this year that I would be surprised to see next year would be Stevenson at HWT. I think he has done all he can.

THE HERMENATOR

Reactions: chuck285
So at this point, we know most of our team will be returning. Lee's injury...he'll be back. We are still awaiting official word from Young and Kemerer, correct?

But what about other teams? Obviously, you have Yianni coming back at 141 for Cornell. I assume Lee will be back at 141 for psu..along with JE, that weight is loaded. That is assuming no return of Rivera for Rutgers....is he coming back, too?

Then we have Suriano back at 133 to join Fix, RBY and Desanto. Another loaded weight.

Who are some other big names that I am missing that we can expect to see play a much more pivotal role next year at nationals? As well as possibly some guys who won't be back. And while we're at it, the Stanford transfers and where they are going.

One big name from this year that I would be surprised to see next year would be Stevenson at HWT. I think he has done all he can.

THE HERMENATOR
Both are coming back. As far as other teams, I expect the Mich seniors to not come back. Anthony Valencia not to come back. If Suriano makes the Olympic team he won’t come back. Like you said I don’t think Gable will come back. I think Cornell will roll out Yiannis brother at 125 and Vito at 133 (these may be swapped) Josh Saunders 141 and Yianni 149. The biggest surprises will be the Stanford transfers.

Reactions: hawkeyejr
Both are coming back. As far as other teams, I expect the Mich seniors to not come back. Anthony Valencia not to come back. If Suriano makes the Olympic team he won’t come back. Like you said I don’t think Gable will come back. I think Cornell will roll out Yiannis brother at 125 and Vito at 133 (these may be swapped) Josh Saunders 141 and Yianni 149. The biggest surprises will be the Stanford transfers.

RE Stanford transfers, surprises as in know one knows how that will shake out or you know something and the rest of us will be surprised?

I can't see the Michigan guys returning. Micic has already been in school for 7 years. Logan Massa turns 24 in a month and isn't even a graduate student. So if he comes back as a Grad Student, he needs to stay at an extra year or two finishing his masters.

I know Amine will push for it because it's in Detroit and that family is Blue through-and-through, but I don't see it.

Did Valencia ever announce what his injury was?

He wasn’t injured IMO. He lost in the quarters, cared enough to place, then mailed it in.

I won’t speculate on injured, but he was clearly hurt. I was watching that match and saw his knee and knew he was hurt before he reacted. And then could barely walk.

He was on one leg with his opponent grabbing the other one. He was shoved and his foot was stuck planted in the mat and there was a hyperextension and a bad looking rotation.

I won’t speculate on injured, but he was clearly hurt. I was watching that match and saw his knee and knew he was hurt before he reacted. And then could barely walk.

He was on one leg with his opponent grabbing the other one. He was shoved and his foot was stuck planted in the mat and there was a hyperextension and a bad looking rotation.
See I didn’t watch the match against OToole. I just assumed he mailed it in

Yeah it didn't look good, I assumed he was going to forfeit out, but he beat Hall pretty good in his next match, then got whooped by Sneakers O'Toole.

Gotta think Lee may need knee surgery after the trials. Despite the spirit and desire, it may need to happen for his long term health and goals. Who knows, since he's the baddest toughest mofo alive he may still qualify but at some point it's going to need to get fixed and he has an actual redshirt left.

He needs surgery before the trials. They were considering forfeiting out due to the pain he was in and his skills were obviously diminished. He can't train and practice properly. Trials would just open him up to more severe injury and as great as he is winning trials in that condition is unlikely and winning olympics even more unlikely.

He needs surgery before the trials. They were considering forfeiting out due to the pain he was in and his skills were obviously diminished. He can't train and practice properly. Trials would just open him up to more severe injury and as great as he is winning trials in that condition is unlikely and winning olympics even more unlikely.
Smart move.

Who is "they".

How are backups/alternates determined for the Olympics? I’m assuming there are people training in case of injury.

Just wondering if Spencer goes to WTT, and gets 2nd. Then can’t get surgery right away and doesn’t get to compete.

If Michigan wanted to put a title contending team out there for Detroit next year they could. Especially if they nabbed Woods from Stanford. He has a couple Hs teammates at Michigan.
125 Ragusin
133 Micic
141 Woods
149 Storr
157 Lewan
165 Amine
174 Massa
184 Amine
197 Brucki
285 Parris
I’m not saying this would happen but they could field a damn good team for Detroit.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT