ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule says a good QB costs ….

Another reason I like Rhule, at least he's transparent. The CFB world will only get more brutal from here.
Amen!
Be careful what you wish for.....you just might get it! The rich will continue to get richer and the poorer will get poorer.
This “NIL” is college sports equivalent to the Bush and Trump “tax cuts”...the wealthy benefit the most and it is no way “across the board” equal.

That is a lot of money for a quarterback. Thanks for sharing this.
I remember hearing a story that back in the early 1960’s Forest Evashevski, as AD wanted the University to put a dome over the football stadium. What held him back was “Where could I get a million dollars to do this?”
Times change....but then Bob Dylan warned us they would!

Thanks NIL, we are now the semi-pros and only half the teams can afford to compete. Make the move now to separete $$$$$NIL from $NIL.
So do you think scholarships will become a thing of the past in the future since NIL is like going semi-pro

Remember when the idea behind NIL was to allow Athlete X to receive some money when somebody bought his collegiate gear?
Remember when a player, Drew Tate maybe?, won a car at a fundraiser golf event and had to give it away to avoid breaking NCAA rules?

Rhule could offer to contribute part of his 9 million dollar salary to help with Pay for Play. He won't. Do you think that Alberts is complaining that he paid Rhule 9 mil for that shitshow of a season? See how that works Rhule?

Coaches that complain about what it takes to attract valuable talent is just hypocritical. Coaches sign 5 year contracts, get extensions before they expire and if they get fired they receive generational wealth from the buyout. If the market dictates what the coaches and players make annually, then so be it.
The issue is with the universities, athletic departments and donors spending money like drunken sailors. Texas A&M paid Jimbo stupid money to not coach. Scott Frost, Tom Allen.............
From what I gathered is Ruhle knows how much these players cost but doesn't really like or agree with the system. But he does understand if you want to win the game you have to have skin in the game.

Reactions: Iron Doc
I’ll keep preaching, players should be ineligible for NIL money until after second semester on campus.
Eliminate recruiting pay and poaching and support compensation for performance.
Great.
What does your unicorn eat?

Not surprising that a coach is acknowledging reality out loud to the media.

Once the NIL decision came down it was clear this is the path that things would take. For the high end teams they have become even more like the distorted reflection of the NFL, on a lesser financial scale. Player payroll is another operating cost supported directly by donors.

I see Iowa going more the bargain bin route for future qbs.
It's not as if Iowa has shown they can recruit and develop them. There is no position more emblematic of Iowa's offensive struggles than failures at QB. It's been 7 years since Iowa recruited a QB that played well. Since Stanley it's been Petras, Mansell, Hogan, Padilla, May, and Labas. The jury is still out on Lainez of course, but he's playing behind McNamara, Hill, and Labas today. If this trend continues, Iowa should just stop recruiting QB's altogether and focus solely on the portal for that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
So do you think scholarships will become a thing of the past in the future since NIL is like going semi-pro
They should, I believe it will come down to large NIL schools will be in their own league, and the rest will go to a D1AA model where the student is an athlete and vice versa. D1AA still gets some NIL, but nowhere near D1 top 25 teams do.

I also believe if students are going to be getting crazy NIL deals then it should certainly fall in line with the DEI standards where they ALL share the nest egg (you know, equal outcomes regardless of ability)...let's see how long that lasts...

Reactions: Hendy hawk
It's not as if Iowa has shown they can recruit and develop them. There is no position more emblematic of Iowa's offensive struggles than failures at QB. It's been 7 years since Iowa recruited a QB that played well. Since Stanley it's been Petras, Mansell, Hogan, Padilla, May, and Labas. The jury is still out on Lainez of course, but he's playing behind McNamara, Hill, and Labas today. If this trend continues, Iowa should just stop recruiting QB's altogether and focus solely on the portal for that position.
As long as KF is still here that might not be a bad idea. Although, cement shoed pocket passers will have no takers among the rest of P5 so any high schoolers with big arms and big bodies who can't run will be there for the taking and should not cost anything in NIL money.

As long as KF is still here that might not be a bad idea. Although, cement shoed pocket passers will have no takers among the rest of P5 so any high schoolers with big arms and big bodies who can't run will be there for the taking and should not cost anything in NIL money.
Maybe a new QB/OC will help. It's a very low bar today.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Amen!
Be careful what you wish for.....you just might get it! The rich will continue to get richer and the poorer will get poorer.
This “NIL” is college sports equivalent to the Bush and Trump “tax cuts”...the wealthy benefit the most and it is no way “across the board” equal.
Weak sauce. Get that political garbage out of here.

Reactions: Mcdog1998
Remember Troy Davis from clown college? He was proven illiterate on the NFL wonderlic.
He scored high enough to prove he can spell his own name. His brother Darren scored a 4. You usually don't see that because he wasn't drafted and didn't play in the NFL so it basically became a meaningless number that rarely shows up any lists of worst scores. But dude had a 4. I've never googled him to see where he is now because it makes me sad to know what I might find.

A good friend of mine was at ISU at the time. They did a pretty piss poor job of covering that up for them. The entire campus knew they couldn't even read yet passed college classes.

He scored high enough to prove he can spell his own name. His brother Darren scored a 4. You usually don't see that because he wasn't drafted and didn't play in the NFL so it basically became a meaningless number that rarely shows up any lists of worst scores. But dude had a 4. I've never googled him to see where he is now because it makes me sad to know what I might find.

A good friend of mine was at ISU at the time. They did a pretty piss poor job of covering that up for them. The entire campus knew they couldn't even read yet passed college classes.
Well, Iowa has Connie Hawkins....be careful where you start throwing stones...every school has a few. What Iowa did to Hawkins is one of the great crimes committed in college sports. This incident is one reason why the UI administration has firm control,over the activities of the Athletic Department, to this very day.

Rhule could offer to contribute part of his 9 million dollar salary to help with Pay for Play. He won't. Do you think that Alberts is complaining that he paid Rhule 9 mil for that shitshow of a season? See how that works Rhule?

Coaches that complain about what it takes to attract valuable talent is just hypocritical. Coaches sign 5 year contracts, get extensions before they expire and if they get fired they receive generational wealth from the buyout. If the market dictates what the coaches and players make annually, then so be it.
The issue is with the universities, athletic departments and donors spending money like drunken sailors. Texas A&M paid Jimbo stupid money to not coach. Scott Frost, Tom Allen.............
I don't see it as Rhule complaining. He's responding to question regarding whether he'll be chasing a QB in the portal and listing one of the hurdles in doing so.

I don't see it as Rhule complaining. He's responding to question regarding whether he'll be chasing a QB in the portal and listing one of the hurdles in doing so.
I never stated Rhule was complaining.
I could be an ass and throw the go to "reading comprehension" diatribe at you. I'll pass and agree with your assesment of Rhule's answer.
Maybe it is because I am crushing cans and getting ready to watch Iowa in a B1G title game.
Either way, here is to Nebby winning the off-season National Championship!

It's funny these guys are considered student athletes. Think they give 2 shites about a degree? And if they are getting paid millions, would a professor have the nerve to give them an F? Crazy world we live in.
Hey Coach, save the scholly for someone who’ll actually use it …I’ll just take the cash.

We don’t have an average QB. At least until McNamara can prove himself healthy.
I don't think anyone thinks Deacon is a star.

Hopefully they didn't give him a million, but he does appear to have plenty of money for McDonalds. :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT