ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Moss: Signs 4 year, $5.4M Contract. Was Fastest player in Senior Bowl, hitting 21.55 MPH (top speed in-game). Projected 3rd Rounder per ESPN

Anytime a fan base has to denigrate the legitimate accomplishments of another team instead of simply standing on the accomplishments of the team they root for, they are butt hurt, poor sports. I have no idea of your profession or education, this is a message board, guess what? People embellish on message boards and there’s nothing in your posts that indicate you’re highly educated.

We act like fans of a top 8 all time team. We treat Iowa fans like Iowa fans treat ISU fans. Iowa is to Nebraska what ISU is to Iowa. You’ll get respect as soon as you show respect.
You're speaking of how Iowa fans denigrate the accomplishments of the Huskers circa the Tom Osborn era? Please explain the relevance of accomplishments that were last achieved back in 1997? How does past success in that regard legitimize current relevance?

I will not dispute that the era of Devaney and Osborn definitely put the Huskers on the map. That accomplishment is made all the more impressive given that Nebraska is a low-population state and had to overcome inherent recruiting challenges. Of course, back then, part of what helped Nebraska ... and many other of the storied programs ... was to build off an era where there were few if any scholarship limits.

Anyhow, it would be amusing that you're suggesting the Nebraska football fans might view Iowa as a little brother ... much like Iowa views ISU in that capacity. Usually when there is "little brother syndrome" ... the little-brother program is the one that has the poorer overall record ... despite the occasional victory over the "big brother." In the situation where there is a big/little-brother scenario ... there is usually a historically close-relationship between the programs (typically something that fuels a long-standing and heated rivalry).

Iowa State gets unfairly shat-upon by Iowa fans largely because their program has had little sustained success (overall). To make matters worse, the Hawks largely dominated the rivalry through much of the Hayden Fry era. It greatly irked many an Iowa fan when Iowa State "had Iowa's number" through much of the first 3rd of the Ferentz-era. However, since 2008, Iowa has been far more on the winning end of the rivalry.

Anyhow, you speak of pre-2015 ... however, in 2014 the Huskers barely eked out a victory over Iowa. In 2013, Iowa won. In 2012, Iowa sucked ... and still managed to play Nebraska close. In 2011, the Huskers were clearly the better team ... and yet still only won, 20-7.

Prior to that, there isn't much of any sustained history between our respective programs. Obviously, given the history of the Huskers ... they gave little thought to Iowa because Iowa was in a different conference and was rarely competing for a national championship. To Iowa fans ... we saw Nebraska as a team in the same conference as Iowa State. Consequently, we had very little respect for the Big 8 ... and then, the Big 12. What little respect we may have had for the conference was linked more to Kansas State and Oklahoma ... both programs with ties to Hayden Fry's storied coaching tree (Snyder and Stoops).

As for background, I'm a quantum field theorist whose specialty relates more directly to the renormalization group. Like most folks with my background, I'm fluent in representation theory, differential geometry, and differential topology ... among other mathematical sub-disciplines ... although I'm particularly attracted to operator algebras, K-theory, and the link between stable renormalization group fixed points and stable representations found in KK-theory (Greg Moore seemed to converge to some parallel ideas). I get a little irked when my physicist brethren get too attracted to silly physical interpretations of the underlying mathematics. The whole "collapse" of the wave-function business is so foolish ... folks who understand Caldeira and Leggett's work on modeling quantum measurements quickly realize that you actually have to consider how a quantum description of your classical measurement apparatus couples to the quantum system under investigation. The culmination boils down to understanding which quantum features decohere and which remain coherent. This DOES then have its own connections to the importance of quantum superposition ... the exploitation (and understanding) of which is very much at the current forefront of contemporary quantum theory. That's a whole other can of worms though ... (don't get me started on Susskind's view on space and time ...)

Last edited:
You're speaking of how Iowa fans denigrate the accomplishments of the Huskers circa the Tom Osborn era? Please explain the relevance of accomplishments that were last achieved back in 1997? How does past success in that regard legitimize current relevance?

I will not dispute that the era of Devaney and Osborn definitely put the Huskers on the map. That accomplishment is made all the more impressive given that Nebraska is a low-population state and had to overcome inherent recruiting challenges. Of course, back then, part of what helped Nebraska ... and many other of the storied programs ... was to build off an era where there were few to any scholarship limits.

Anyhow, it would be amusing that you're suggesting the Nebraska football fans might view Iowa as a little brother ... much like Iowa views ISU in that capacity. Usually when there is "little brother syndrome" ... the little-brother program is the one that has the poorer overall record ... despite the occasional victory over the "big brother." In the situation where there is a big/little-brother scenario ... there is usually a historically close-relationship between the programs (typically something that fuels a long-standing and heated rivalry).

Iowa State gets unfairly shat-upon by Iowa fans largely because their program has had little sustained success (overall). To make matters worse, the Hawks largely dominated the rivalry through much of the Hayden Fry era. It greatly irked many an Iowa fan when Iowa State "had Iowa's number" through much of the first 3rd of the Ferentz-era. However, since 2008, Iowa has been far more on the winning end of the rivalry.

Anyhow, you speak of pre-2015 ... however, in 2014 the Huskers barely eked out a victory over Iowa. In 2013, Iowa won. In 2012, Iowa sucked ... and still managed to play Nebraska close. In 2011, the Huskers were clearly the better team ... and yet still only won, 20-7.

Prior to that, there isn't much of any sustained history between our respective programs. Obviously, given the history of the Huskers ... they gave little thought to Iowa because Iowa was in a different conference and was rarely competing for a national championship. To Iowa fans ... we saw Nebraska as a team in the same conference as Iowa State. Consequently, we had very little respect for the Big 8 ... and then, the Big 12. What little respect we may have had for the conference was linked more to Kansas State and Oklahoma ... both programs with ties to Hayden Fry's storied coaching tree (Snyder and Stoops).

As for background, I'm a quantum field theorist whose specialty relates more directly to the renormalization group. Like most folks with my background, I'm fluent in representation theory, differential geometry, and differential topology ... among other mathematical sub-disciplines ... although I'm particularly attracted to operator algebras, K-theory, and the link between stable renormalization group fixed points and stable representations found in KK-theory (Greg Moore seemed to converge to some parallel ideas). I get a little irked when my physicist brethren get too attracted to silly physical interpretations of the underlying mathematics. The whole "collapse" of the wave-function business is so foolish ... folks who understand Caldeira and Leggett's work on modeling quantum measurements quickly realize that you actually have to consider how a quantum description of your classical measurement apparatus couples to the quantum system under investigation. The culmination boils down to understanding which quantum features decohere and which remain coherent. This DOES then have its own connections to the importance of quantum superposition ... the exploitation (and understanding) of which is very much at the current forefront of contemporary quantum theory. That's a whole other can of worms though ... (don't get me started on Susskind's view on space and time ...)
Yes, I agree with you, Iowa is to Nebraska what isu is to Iowa. Now, if Iowa gets over the hump and wins a conference title and finishes in the top 5 someday and Nebraska continues on the downward spiral, then we can discuss a change in who is little brother. I will only hold Iowa fans to the standard Iowa fans hold other fan bases. You guys give no credit and get no credit for “almost“ or “close to”……congrats on your personal successes.

A peek of a Nebraska fan's basement...

il_794xN.2704968820_i7o8.jpg

I have almost all of those on cassette.

Reactions: FatBrian4Prez
Yes, I agree with you, Iowa is to Nebraska what isu is to Iowa. Now, if Iowa gets over the hump and wins a conference title and finishes in the top 5 someday and Nebraska continues on the downward spiral, then we can discuss a change in who is little brother. I will only hold Iowa fans to the standard Iowa fans hold other fan bases. You guys give no credit and get no credit for “almost“ or “close to”……congrats on your personal successes.
Hanging your hat on years that start with’19’ solid approach…. For maybe the first decade of years that start with a ‘20’

• Haha

I will not dispute that the era of Devaney and Osborn definitely put the Huskers on the map. That accomplishment is made all the more impressive given that Nebraska is a low-population state and had to overcome inherent recruiting challenges. Of course, back then, part of what helped Nebraska ... and many other of the storied programs ... was to build off an era where there were few if any scholarship limits.

So ‘Sheldon with a sports interest’
Will the regurgitation of your credentials be an ongoing theme?

• Haha
No such agreement. I just don't think that Nebraska and Iowa have enough of a historical relationship to suggest that EITHER team could consider the other as a little brother.

I can understand Husker fans formerly not even having Iowa register on their radar ... largely because the teams were in different conferences.

So sure ... relative to Nebraska fans, Iowa was simply irrelevant.

However, similarly now ... an Iowa fan cannot view Nebraska as "little brother." However, based on the nature of the games played since Nebraska entered the B1G ... Nebraska is deserving of no more deference than any of our other opponents. Since entering the B1G, the Huskers have had 7 sub .500 seasons (through the regular season). During Ferentz's entire career, the Hawks have had just 3 of those ... 2 of which occurred in Ferentz's first 2 seasons as head man.

I drop 'em every so often. Especially when somebody misapplies quantitative reasoning.

If you've read enough of my posts ... you then know that I don't keep my background a secret. Similarly, since I'm an educator ... I play my "educator card" with some frequency too.

Also, for the record, most of the string theorist colleagues I had ... you could smell them coming. Those who did bathe often had some other grooming quirk ... like a wild beard or something like that. Of course ... some of that could be a strung-out grad-student thing ... more than a string-theorist thing.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I expect moss to play db although some have projected him to safety but he's showing he can definitely play db. It'll be fun to see what team he plays for. I don't follow a particular NFL team, just former Iowa players. Seems like there are so many more than there used to be. I used to love watching the colts with Clark on offense and Sanders on defense. Now it's every team. Makes the nfl more fun for me.

I expect moss to play db although some have projected him to safety but he's showing he can definitely play db. It'll be fun to see what team he plays for. I don't follow a particular NFL team, just former Iowa players. Seems like there are so many more than there used to be. I used to love watching the colts with Clark on offense and Sanders on defense. Now it's every team. Makes the nfl more fun for me.

who ya got in the Super Bowl?

who ya got in the Super Bowl?
I'd bet on the Eagles if i bet ever. Based on running game and least injured qb. Plus Hurts has some ridiculous numbers this year but I'm not a fool. My niece married a chiefs fan and they are hard to pick against. Plus the qb's ankle injury should be quite a bit better. According to the athletic trainer from uni that particular sprain can take forever to heal. How about you?

I'd bet on the Eagles if i bet ever. Based on running game and least injured qb. Plus Hurts has some ridiculous numbers this year but I'm not a fool. My niece married a chiefs fan and they are hard to pick against. Plus the qb's ankle injury should be quite a bit better. According to the athletic trainer from uni that particular sprain can take forever to heal. How about you?

i have a feeling the Chiefs win.

Reactions: Bishop1971
One of the big things that Moss knew he had to show pro-scouts was durability. In most of his prior seasons at Iowa, he missed significant time due to injury.

One of the biggest (and yet most understated) things he benefited from by sticking around for the '22 season was that he demonstrated some durability. He held up to a full season of hard, physical, and productive play.

From here on out ... he'll test well (he already knew that) ... he knows the game (b/c he's had Phil as a coach) ... and he has lots of good tape for scouts to see.

I don't know how high up he'll land ... but I think that Riley will land somewhere ... AND, more importantly, I think that he'll stick too!

Don't really understand your point with this post ... other than to potentially try to undermine Moss somehow. That's the nature of play at a high level ... competitors will get the better of another every so often. There's a reason why color-commentators always praise CBs when they fill-well against the run ... because it's understood that a talented, powerful back (like Brown) is tough to stop. There's a reason why LBs are usually around 230 lbs.

Don't really understand your point with this post ... other than to potentially try to undermine Moss somehow. That's the nature of play at a high level ... competitors will get the better of another every so often. There's a reason why color-commentators always praise CBs when they fill-well against the run ... because it's understood that a talented, powerful back (like Brown) is tough to stop. There's a reason why LBs are usually around 230 lbs.
Does anyone really think that Riley Moss or anybody else cares what some simple Nebraska fan thinks? Now I know he'll probably say you must because you responded to this. But I actually don't.

Fastest player at the Senior Bowl, Trey Palmer. 21.15 mph.
One of the big things that Moss knew he had to show pro-scouts was durability. In most of his prior seasons at Iowa, he missed significant time due to injury.

One of the biggest (and yet most understated) things he benefited from by sticking around for the '22 season was that he demonstrated some durability. He held up to a full season of hard, physical, and productive play.

From here on out ... he'll test well (he already knew that) ... he knows the game (b/c he's had Phil as a coach) ... and he has lots of good tape for scouts to see.

I don't know how high up he'll land ... but I think that Riley will land somewhere ... AND, more importantly, I think that he'll stick too!

Possible 3rd rounder?

Note the speed of 21.55 mph

Possible 3rd rounder?

Note the speed of 21.55 mph

Dunno ... lots of folks are still going to be looking at him as either a FS or a slot CB.

If they view him as a niche player, then that could hurt his draft-stock. Fighting the stereotype of a white CB is an uphill climb. Hopefully folks go off of BOTH his tangibles and intangibles ... they do that, he should land somewhere okay.

Dunno ... lots of folks are still going to be looking at him as either a FS or a slot CB.

If they view him as a niche player, then that could hurt his draft-stock. Fighting the stereotype of a white CB is an uphill climb. Hopefully folks go off of BOTH his tangibles and intangibles ... they do that, he should land somewhere okay.

i would think his combine #s would be pretty good

I think he's really improving his stock with the speed and play. His combine numbers will be great of course so i see him getting drafted around 3rd round and then playing and practicing his way onto a team. He's just to good not to. His vertical is excellent and he's just so solid in his fundamentals. Getting drafted that high will give him the assurance of a fair shot. I think that's all he needs.

I would be shocked if he got a legitimate shot at corner.

He should, he deserves to, but he could run in the 4.3’s and still be “sneaky athletic/gritty/coach-on-the-field” etc.

Homer you routinely bring something to the table that I absolutely did not consider… He did need to come back, improve his durability, that is an excellent point!

I personally think the kid will be a multi positional D back for many years in the league!

The white cornerback thing is a real concern, with that said, I don’t see him as a slot corner. I see him outside, and I think his physicality and long speed matches up with that. He is quick, in fact, I believe he’s run one of the best shuttles in Iowa history, and that’s a big damn deal…

I just think he’s too long to be terrific in the slot, but that’s just my opinion!!

Reactions: HawkeyeHypocrisy

2023 NFL draft: Louis Riddick's favorite prospects, sleepers

Louis Riddick
ESPN, NFL
April 10, 2023

MY FAVORITE SLEEPERS

Riley Moss, CB, Iowa​

Moss is a former standout in track and field, having run 13.85 seconds in the 110-meter high hurdles in high school -- a record for the state of Iowa. He also registered a 39-inch vertical and ran a 4.45 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. On the field, he is comfortable in press or off-coverage, with a super-fluid movement style, quick feet, very good short-area acceleration and the top-end long speed to run with the best receivers in the NFL in the deeper parts of the field. His instincts, pattern recognition and finishing skills are also all very good, helping him to 11 career interceptions and three pick-sixes.

Moss also shows absolutely no hesitation in run support or as a tackler when it comes to the physical side of the game. He will put big hits on receivers and running backs when the opportunities are there. I have no doubt he will make an immediate impact in sub-defenses or on special teams in his rookie season -- and that's just a starting point.

Anytime a fan base has to denigrate the legitimate accomplishments of another team instead of simply standing on the accomplishments of the team they root for, they are butt hurt, poor sports. I have no idea of your profession or education, this is a message board, guess what? People embellish on message boards and there’s nothing in your posts that indicate you’re highly educated.

We act like fans of a top 8 all time team. We treat Iowa fans like Iowa fans treat ISU fans. Iowa is to Nebraska what ISU is to Iowa. You’ll get respect as soon as you show respect.
<<You'll get respect as soon as you show respect>>

You don't "show" respect to those who are unworthy of it.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT