ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Till earns scholarship for 2019-20 season

So you dont disagree with me that Fran will not bring in 3 transfers this offseason but you dont think he should have given it to Till? The only other option would be to leave it open if he isnt going to fill it with a transfer or put Till on scholly.

That doesnt make any sense.
leave it open . fran will never take it away from him if he finds someone better .

The problem is not that Till gets an unused scholly. The problem is yet again the failure of the coach to put together a better balanced roster. If Fran could manage that, the scholly would be used for a player more likely to contribute useful minutes on a regular basis.

The problem is not that Till gets an unused scholly. The problem is yet again the failure of the coach to put together a better balanced roster. If Fran could manage that, the scholly would be used for a player more likely to contribute useful minutes on a regular basis.
He's trying to even out the roster. Did he know Moss, Cook and Dailey would all leave? He can't recruit for positions that aren't open. By the time they left the better players had already made good relationships with other teams who knew what they had. Too many posters think it's easy and that the coaching staff aren't doing their jobs. Without cheating it's hard to the best to come to Iowa. Iowa isn't going to allow the cheating others do.

Reactions: onionman1
He's trying to even out the roster. Did he know Moss, Cook and Dailey would all leave? He can't recruit for positions that aren't open. By the time they left the better players had already made good relationships with other teams who knew what they had. Too many posters think it's easy and that the coaching staff aren't doing their jobs. Without cheating it's hard to the best to come to Iowa. Iowa isn't going to allow the cheating others do.

Many coaches have to deal with the same thing, even more so in some instances.
Cook leaving should have been anticipated at the beginning of the year.
Dailey leaving was like a gift to have that scholly opened up. It was a potential net positive to have a guy who contributed very little leave of his own accord.
Only Moss leaving is somewhat odd or unexpected.

He is paid a tremendous amount of money to manage that roster. From my perspective he has not done it well.

If he gets to the sweet 16 of the tourney with the roster he's put together then that would be great and he should receive praise for it.

If the roster that he's put together fails to make the tourney, then whatever criticism he receives will have been earned.

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
Many coaches have to deal with the same thing, even more so in some instances.
Cook leaving should have been anticipated at the beginning of the year.
Dailey leaving was like a gift to have that scholly opened up. It was a potential net positive to have a guy who contributed very little leave of his own accord.
Only Moss leaving is somewhat odd or unexpected.

He is paid a tremendous amount of money to manage that roster. From my perspective he has not done it well.

If he gets to the sweet 16 of the tourney with the roster he's put together then that would be great and he should receive praise for it.

If the roster that he's put together fails to make the tourney, then whatever criticism he receives will have been earned.
So if Iowa makes the tourney and wins a game, you won't raise the bar again?

I can't imagine for the life of me whe Lute left.
o_O

He doesn’t get paid to be classy. God knows he isn’t when he screams like a maniac, throws chairs, kicks tables, etc.
I thought Fran had better self-control last year than the prior season. With some of the poor officiating that we're seeing in college hoops, I think it wold be difficult for any coach to remain calm.

Haha....good point. We"ll call this one the "cheating ref, f'ing disgrace!!!" (with the game already over) suspension.

It's AMAZING how proud and vocal fans are about Kirk's character in the fall (while absolutely ridiculing guys like Bo Pelini), then turnaround and completely defend and justify Frans meltdowns and tantrums in the winter. The double standard is jaw dropping, even for the biggest homers on here.
Really kind of comparing apples & oranges here as very seldom see a football coach reprimanded (certainly no technicals called) for yelling at refs. Kirk and his staff certainly jaw at the officials, but when Fran does it, he gets crucified by some.

You really think scholly #11 should go to a player that is going to contribute useful minutes on a regular basis?

LOL!

You really think scholly #11 should go to a player that is going to contribute useful minutes on a regular basis?

LOL!
I didn't know that scholarships were numbered and that a player's minutes were based on the scholly number they got. :cool:

Another point, Fran has had two schollies available in his back pocket for some time.
Regardless of whether or not they should get one, as a purely strategic matter he could have used either or both of his son's ships to bring in another player or players. It's potentially an incredible advantage that so far he's failed to use.

One of Fran’s biggest weaknesses, according to many fans, is distribution of minutes. Do you think it would be wise to have 15 players, all scholarship worthy, on Iowa’s roster?

Exactly right. The people complaining about this are the same ones who complain about him playing to many guys. It’s based on a hatred for Fran.

Exactly right. The people complaining about this are the same ones who complain about him playing to many guys. It’s based on a hatred for Fran.
And/or just outright trolling. They'll either never be happy if Iowa is actually their favorite team or they are tickled pink because we are responding to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT