ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Jud Heathcote

I second that, Jud was quite a character. I will never forget the classic Lester/Magic match Ups. Lute and Jud on the sidelines. Two coaching greats.

Magic said "He turned a kid into a man", great respect for his coach.

actually his sideline antics is what made him who he was...his occasional doing a few knocks along side his temple was a classic...he was entertaining to watch.

after winning his National championship with Magic Johnson in 1979
1977–78 Michigan State 25–5 15–3 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1978–79 Michigan State 26–6 13–5 1st NCAA Champions

....the 80's were not the best for MichSt...only made NCAA Tourney twice.

1979–80 Michigan State 12–15 6–12 8th
1980–81 Michigan State 13–14 7–11 8th
1981–82 Michigan State 11–17 6–12 T–7th
1982–83 Michigan State 17–13 9–9 T–6th NIT Second Round
1983–84 Michigan State 16–12 9–9 5th
1984–85 Michigan State 19–10 10–8 T–5th NCAA First Round
1985–86 Michigan State 23–8 12–6 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1986–87 Michigan State 11–17 6–12 7th
1987–88 Michigan State 10–18 5–13 8th
1988–89 Michigan State 18–15 6–12 T–8th

... in todays world (internet & all) his record in the 80's probably would have got him fired.

things started to turn around in 90's ...in which assistant Tom Izzo is given alot of credit.

1989–90 Michigan State 28–6 15–3 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1990–91 Michigan State 19–11 11–7 T–3rd NCAA Second Round
1991–92 Michigan State 22–8 11–7 T–3rd NCAA Second Round
1992–93 Michigan State 15–13 7–11 T–8th NIT First Round
1993–94 Michigan State 20–12 10–8 T–4th NCAA Second Round
1994–95 Michigan State 22–6 14–4 2nd NCAA First Round

RIP George Melvin

A coach we loved to hate, but, he was a great coach. A crusty old character that the game is missing. R.I.P. Jud and thanks for the memories.

Loved everything about Jud. He even had a Trumpesque back to front comb over.
Yep! Back then it was the Jud Thud, and The Lou Do, for coach Henson with those god awful Orange jackets! Speaking of crazy Do's, how about Gene Keady? Or maybe you liked chair throwing Bobby Knight and his technicolor plaid jacket? Some colorful coaches back in those days!:)

What I remember most about Jud is that constant worried look he had as he paced the sidelines. He was a good coach. May he rest in peace and my condolences to his family.
I agree.met hin spokane,very nice.a real cool guy.fun to talk to. Hated hawks ect ect.hands large and thick.great handball player.
RIP Coach
Met jud in spokane.it was in SWINGING DOOR SPORTS BAR FOR MSU GAME.JEFF SMOKER qb.Yes jud trashed me and hawks.A gentleman 100% waay cool guy.a real treat.never forget that day.Safe journey for the COACH.

Reactions: FlintTown
I remember being in East Lansing area the years right before Jud came on board after the Spartan program had collapsed under the previous coach (Ganakas) in the years 74-76, when I was in high school in the area right before coming to Iowa in 76.

Even though Terry Furlow was setting scoring records on the team then in the year or so before Magic Johnson joined the team, the team chemistry was totally messed up in those days, especially when the team walked out right before playing Indiana where they got stomped on by around 50 points then as note here:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...015/01/07/msu-basketball-jeff-tropf/21407327/

I recall in those days when future MSU stars Magic Johnson and Jay Vincent were playing their high school days at the same time then, and had games where they played each other at Spartan's Jenison Fieldhouse where they got a bigger audience than the Spartans were then for their own basketball games.

Judd really helped also bring his own magic as well as Magic's magic to the Spartans when he started coaching there, and the atmosphere was like night and day when he took over. A great guy and really was someone that the home crowd loved coaching their team in those days.

I actually enjoyed a little when I had to take a semester off from Iowa and go back to East Lansing the year they won the championship then. Jay Vincent would come and say hi to his friends who worked alongside me at a store in those days then. They had a lot of fun then!

RIP Jud. You will always be well remembered there.

Reactions: cosmo90
He did that "dinner with coaches" thing they had on the B1G Network a couple years ago and was fabulous.

It doesn't seem like he has been 22 years since he retired.
My third post on JUD.He is worth it.1st my phone acted up.But anyway msu game with smoker qb. Jud sees my hat ATTACK! Bottomline was in spokane for 2 weeks.company paid motel.Why do you ask? He tells me if town stay at his place! Wait told him already paid for.THEN he said well it was basement and I had to pay 2 weeks in advance.HOF COACH IN MY FACE. JUD

Reactions: FlintTown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT