ADVERTISEMENT

Robert E. Lee Day

double-dutch-fail.gif
I can tell you are a product of public education. Lol 😂

Prior to slavery becoming an issue wealthy industrialists in the north were plotting to undermine the wealth of the south. The winds of a conflict were brewing well before slavery became an issue.
What do you in mean before slavery became an issue? Slavery was an issue at the founding of the nation. The time before slavery was an issue doesn't exist in American history.

Lived in VA for a number of years and they celebrated MLK with REL/Jefferson Davis day. Thought that was an absolute embarrassment of epic proportions.

Also, the statue of REL on Monument Ave in Richmond used to point north before it was removed, rightfully so (removal, not pointing north but the southerners took his signing the papers of surrender at Appomattox Courthouse as the reason his horse and statue pointed north).

Last edited:
Rebels shouldn’t have holidays in the US.

That said I think Robert E. Lee might be the best general produced in the United States….even if he was a major leader of a rebellion.

Chancellorsville might be the best victory by any American general in any war…outnumbered almost 2 to 1…splits his forces. Routs the Union army…only thing that save the Army of the Potomac from getting completely annihilated was darkness…
There was nothing united about the States back then due in large part to scum like Robert E Lee and the rest of the southern traitors. You seem to have adapted well to to being one of the modern confederates down there in the redneck riviera but Lee should have been hung and put on display like the rest of those treasonous pieces of shit for all the real Americans they murdered in order to preserve slavery

What's truly sad and scary is how much things are similar all these years later in those same shithole states

Chancellorsville was a tactical success but Lee has been glorified as part of the lost cause narrative. Lee lost nearly 20% of his forces at Chancellorsville which was proportionately worse than Union forces. The south could never afford these costs for what ultimately were limited gains.

His overall approach was flawed. His aggressive tactics has no chance of being successful as a long term strategy. His victories were always costly. He was mostly absent at Gettysburg compared to Meade and he didn't listen to his officers who told him that continuing the battle would be a disaster. He had limited consideration for logistics. He couldn't see the big picture and was too willing to sacrifice his men.
Hooker had 130k troops and Lee 60k at Chancellorsville. Lee’s army was numerically inferior in pretty much every major engagement of the war…

Agree Gettysburg was his worst battle…

Considering the numerical and material disparities Lee confronted it’s pretty amazing the Army of Northern Virginia lasted as long as it did…

Hooker had 130k troops and Lee 60k at Chancellorsville. Lee’s army was numerically inferior in pretty much every major engagement of the war…

Agree Gettysburg was his worst battle…

Considering the numerical and material disparities Lee confronted it’s pretty amazing the Army of Northern Virginia lasted as long as it did…
Lee ignored Longstreet, who had a plan to win the war that was 50 years ahead of its time.

Lee was a loser.

Lee attacked the North and engaged them on open battlefields. Longstreet wanted to force the North to attack the South and he wanted to use trench warfare to control the battlefield.

It probably would have worked.
Pretty interesting

Have any articles or books on the subject you’d like to recommend?

The major hole in that philosophy as I see it….the north would always have the numbers to outflank any defensive line. Not all union commanders were like Burnside at Fredericksburg. And the confederates didn’t have the numbers to man 1500 miles or so of fortifications….there was always going to be maneuver in the civil war. Too vast and sparsely populated compared to the WW1 western front

Anyway, interesting subject.

I will say Lee should have taken Longstreets advice at Gettysburg. Pick better ground to fight on and make Meade attack them...on ground of their choosing. Meade had to...he had to kick them out of Pennsylvania....

Last edited:
“Leadership 101”?

Also, check out the rest of this thread.

It's a great scene about leadership. The handling of discipline, firmly making your point clear, not accepting excuses, letting them down softly and building them back up. And just as important, once done...moving on.

It's a great scene about leadership. The handling of discipline, firmly making your point clear, not accepting excuses, letting them down softly and building them back up. And just as important, once done...moving on.
You can certainly take snippets from anyone’s out leadership. Sorry if I took your post for something it wasn’t.

Why don't you save me time and quote the part that says he was a United States of America leader?

Mexican–American War​

Robert E. Lee around age 43, when he was a brevet lieutenant-colonel of engineers, c. 1850
Lee distinguished himself in the Mexican–American War (1846–1848). He was one of Winfield Scott's chief aides in the march from Veracruz to Mexico City.[37] He was instrumental in several American victories through his personal reconnaissance as a staff officer; he found routes of attack that the Mexicans had not defended because they thought the terrain was impassable.

He was promoted to brevet major after the Battle of Cerro Gordo on April 18, 1847.[38] He also fought at Contreras, Churubusco, and Chapultepec and was wounded at the last. By the end of the war, he had received additional brevet promotions to lieutenant colonel and colonel, but his permanent rank was still captain of engineers, and he would remain a captain until his transfer to the cavalry in 1855.

For the first time, Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant met and worked with each other during the Mexican–American War. Close observations of their commanders constituted a learning process for both Lee and Grant.[39] The Mexican–American War concluded on February 2, 1848.

There you go you ****ing idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
My very uneducated view of Lee is that I sure as hell would not have wanted to be him. State loyalty meant something different then than it does now.

I suspect that there was a large part of Lee that did not want the south to be successful with session. . Any existing descendents of Lee are also descendents of Martha Washington.

His first son was named George Washington Curis Lee..

Anything I know about Lee tells me he was stuck in a southern system he did not morally agree with, but was not willing to go to kill his neighbors to break from it. It was an era of state before country.

Lee, obviously, does not help his case by being a slave holder.

Weirdly, Oliver Howard graduated West Point under Lee. He was present as one of the commanding officers when Sherman accepted the final surrender and then went on to found Howard University. No question that Lee knew who Howard was, as Howard and Lee's oldest son did not get along. George Washington Curtis Lee finished first in their class while Howard finished fourth.

Anything I know about Lee tells me he was stuck in a southern system he did not morally agree with, but was not willing to go to kill his neighbors to break from it. It was an era of state before country.

The man ordered his plantation overseer to salt the wounds of slaves after they were lashed. He was also the only slave owner in his area to break up families.

Mexican–American War​

Robert E. Lee around age 43, when he was a brevet lieutenant-colonel of engineers, c. 1850
Lee distinguished himself in the Mexican–American War (1846–1848). He was one of Winfield Scott's chief aides in the march from Veracruz to Mexico City.[37] He was instrumental in several American victories through his personal reconnaissance as a staff officer; he found routes of attack that the Mexicans had not defended because they thought the terrain was impassable.

He was promoted to brevet major after the Battle of Cerro Gordo on April 18, 1847.[38] He also fought at Contreras, Churubusco, and Chapultepec and was wounded at the last. By the end of the war, he had received additional brevet promotions to lieutenant colonel and colonel, but his permanent rank was still captain of engineers, and he would remain a captain until his transfer to the cavalry in 1855.

For the first time, Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant met and worked with each other during the Mexican–American War. Close observations of their commanders constituted a learning process for both Lee and Grant.[39] The Mexican–American War concluded on February 2, 1848.

There you go you ****ing idiot.
I refer you to post #112.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT