ADVERTISEMENT

RPI Watch

Indiana is hopefully going to break into the top 100 and be a positive RPI bump just by taking 2/3 at the end of the year. They have a game with Louisville this week that would be fun if they won.
Remember it’s their record that gives Iowa the RPI bump, not where they are ranked. Where they are ranked determines if it’s a Q1, 2, 3, or 4 game on the team sheet.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Remember it’s their record that gives Iowa the RPI bump, not where they are ranked. Where they are ranked determines if it’s a Q1, 2, 3, or 4 game on the team sheet.
Yeah, I wasn’t necessarily saying them getting into the top 100 meant something specific. Just giving a frame of reference for where they currently sit.

Updated 5-9

Iowa needs to do better than 2-2 going forward but they didn't hurt themselves as bad as we might have thought with the ISU loss although those 73ish points would be nice to have back and would put Iowa just behind Pitt at 60.

MSU trying to avoid the sweep at PSU this morning. Was really hoping they could get to .500. MSU has 2 midweek games this week as well. Could pitching be a little thin for the Spartans this weekend? Iowa could gain 10 points with a series win and around 55 with a sweep.

UIC could be a 15-20 point win as they were able to get to .500. Indiana was able to do their part this week and took 2 of 3 from Michigan. They also knocked the Wolverines out of the top tier of the B1G leaving 4 teams clearly atop the conference. A likely sweep of the Gophers next week could have the Hoosiers right at .500 when they come to Iowa City. The series finale against Indiana could be -45 points with a series win and 10-20 points with a sweep.

Unfortunately, Iowa is 142 points out of 50th in the RPI. If Iowa can finish:

2-1 at MSU +10
1-0 at UIC +20
3-0 vs Indiana +15

Iowa 33-16 (17-7) +45 puts them into the lower 60s range. With a little help, Iowa could push their way into the 50s which would be huge. Iowa can move into 2nd in the B1G with a Rutger win this afternoon.

Updated 5-9

Iowa needs to do better than 2-2 going forward but they didn't hurt themselves as bad as we might have thought with the ISU loss although those 73ish points would be nice to have back and would put Iowa just behind Pitt at 60.

MSU trying to avoid the sweep at PSU this morning. Was really hoping they could get to .500. MSU has 2 midweek games this week as well. Could pitching be a little thin for the Spartans this weekend? Iowa could gain 10 points with a series win and around 55 with a sweep.

UIC could be a 15-20 point win as they were able to get to .500. Indiana was able to do their part this week and took 2 of 3 from Michigan. They also knocked the Wolverines out of the top tier of the B1G leaving 4 teams clearly atop the conference. A likely sweep of the Gophers next week could have the Hoosiers right at .500 when they come to Iowa City. The series finale against Indiana could be -45 points with a series win and 10-20 points with a sweep.

2-1 at MSU +10
1-0 at UIC +20
3-0 vs Indiana +15

Iowa 33-16 (17-7) +45 puts them into the lower 60s range. With a little help, Iowa could push their way into the 50s which would be huge. Iowa can move into 2nd in the B1G with a Rutger win this afternoon.

I guess the only thing to do is win out.

Updated 5-9

2-1 at MSU +10
1-0 at UIC +20
3-0 vs Indiana +15

I think getting to the 58-62 area going to Omaha will be good. Should be able to get a couple wins there and hopefully sit mid 50s on selection Monday.

The current predictor has Iowa winning out and finishing 34-15 (18-6) and 54 in the RPI. That's a tourney team.

Iowa needs to take care of business and finish 2nd in the B1G. That's the biggest feather they can put in their cap right now.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
Updated 5-9

2-1 at MSU +10
1-0 at UIC +20
3-0 vs Indiana +15

I think a sweep of MSU would be more 60-70 point range. If UIC takes care of business in their games before Iowa, I could see it being 25 points.

The current predictor has Iowa winning out and finishing 34-15 (18-6) and 54 in the RPI. That's a tourney team.

Iowa needs to take care of business and finish 2nd in the B1G. That's the biggest feather they can put in their cap right now.

That's interesting because when I clicked on it, it had Iowa sweeping MSU, beating UIC, taking 2 of 3 against IU and finishing at 51 RPI. I guess it is nice to know that getting into the 50s is possible but that particular feature isn't my favorite.

Updated 5-9

What's the last thing that a team with 2 mid-week games wants?
Extra Innings!
MSU 9 PSU 9 ... heading to bottom of the 11th.

EDIT: PSU 10 MSU 9 (11) - Final

Last edited:

I’m not entirely sure a 5-2 finish does it, but Kendall seems to think so. That’s assuming no meltdown in Omaha.
Good to hear. A few years ago in Omaha ('18?) we went 2 and BBQ so time for some redemption! Win both upcoming series and the midweek game and 2-2 in Omaha gets us a regional bid? I'll take it, especially with Mazur throwing Game 1 in a regional...anything can happen.

Good to hear. A few years ago in Omaha ('18?) we went 2 and BBQ so time for some redemption! Win both upcoming series and the midweek game and 2-2 in Omaha gets us a regional bid? I'll take it, especially with Mazur throwing Game 1 in a regional...anything can happen.
My thought process is still 5-1 in remaining conference series plus a win over UIC is what Iowa needs.

This is relevant here I think. Texas AM is fighting for a host spot.

They canceled a home game against Incarnate Word who is 17-28. Luckily, Iowa will be in the road against a .500 UIC team. I get it though. We just saw Iowa lose to Illinois State.
However, Coach Heller is really big on midweek games and getting pitchers work because you will likely need them in Omaha for Big Ten Tournament and an NCAA regional. He was upset they did not get a game this week due to finals.

They canceled a home game against Incarnate Word who is 17-28. Luckily, Iowa will be in the road against a .500 UIC team. I get it though. We just saw Iowa lose to Illinois State.
However, Coach Heller is really big on midweek games and getting pitchers work because you will likely need them in Omaha for Big Ten Tournament and an NCAA regional. He was upset they did not get a game this week due to finals.
Western Illinois

+22 / -33 for first game today.
Iowa trails #62 Tulane by 60 RPI points.
Better than I had expected because 2 of 3 still gains you points. Now obviously that is not going to cut it for getting at an at large bid, but 2 of 3 would just tease us for another week.

That would be huge to be within striking distance of 50s next week.

Better than I had expected because 2 of 3 still gains you points. Now obviously that is not going to cut it for getting at an at large bid, but 2 of 3 would just tease us for another week.
Pretty much exactly what I predicted ; )

Looking ahead because I can…

Iowa might be able to get 25 points out of UIC if they have a good weekend this weekend.

USC is +15/-41 at home against 22-24 Washington. I figure it will be about the same for Iowa/Indiana.

If you sweep MSU, beat UIC and take 2/3 from Indiana you will likely be right around #60 in the RPI going to Omaha.

Which site/source do you use, Warren Nolan? Iowa bumped up a spot or two in past few days and then fell again due to other games. Not sure if midweek game would've helped all that much unless a quality opponent..

Which site/source do you use, Warren Nolan? Iowa bumped up a spot or two in past few days and then fell again due to other games. Not sure if midweek game would've helped all that much unless a quality opponent..
No. Maybe a spot or two if they were Illinois State level of team.

No. Maybe a spot or two if they were Illinois State level of team.
Thanks Kyle, congrats on the contract with Hawk sports as well! Appreciate and enjoy the coverage, great work! You will really enjoy the Big 10 tourney and Omaha, especially if and most likely Neb won't be there. If Iowa can win a few games, you'll see lots of Hawks in downtown Omaha, cue the 2016 championship vs OSU, I still can't believe almost 9,000 Iowa fans showed up that day, very cool.

Looking ahead because I can…

Iowa might be able to get 25 points out of UIC if they have a good weekend this weekend.

USC is +15/-41 at home against 22-24 Washington. I figure it will be about the same for Iowa/Indiana.

If you sweep MSU, beat UIC and take 2/3 from Indiana you will likely be right around #60 in the RPI going to Omaha.
That would be great to get in that 60 range going into Omaha. A little help and getting into the 50s would be better.

I could make a strong case against Rutgers period. They've played an incredible 25 games and counting against quad 4 teams. Another 16 against quad 3.

I use the "Impact Games" feature from the Warren Nolan website.

I think a sweep of MSU would be more 60-70 point range. If UIC takes care of business in their games before Iowa, I could see it being 25 points.

UIC split two home games with #237 Youngstown State yesterday. Day off today and they play two games against Oakland (on the road) tomorrow.

Rutgers/Bowling Green game two today rained out. They are canceling it, not even going to try tomorrow. My guess is RPI ultimately decided this.

Is it possible for us to cancel the UIC game, especially with a short week? Or is that even wise? I’m not sure what it does for us either way.

Is it possible for us to cancel the UIC game, especially with a short week? Or is that even wise? I’m not sure what it does for us either way.
Not without a mutual agreement. I know that Heller likes midweek games for younger development. It's a road game, so the RPI points will be similar to what we're seeing at Michigan State.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
If they play UIC, do you start Schultz and move Davitt into Friday’s starting role? Schultz cannot continue to put Iowa behind the eight ball early in B1G games with lousy outings and early exits.

Reactions: pmow38
G-g-cough.
G - go - Ne - gag.
Go Neb - wheeze.
Go Nebras - retch.
Go Nebraska …. excuse me, I need to run to the bathroom.

Reactions: ssckelley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT