ADVERTISEMENT

RPI Watch

IMO it would be hard to justify Iowa over Illinois if Illinois is 17-6 in conference, 1/2 game ahead of Iowa with a H2H series win at Iowa. Iowa's RPI would have to be significantly better. Lets root for Illinois to fall behind Iowa in the conference standings.

I highly doubt that 1 series will be the deciding factor. They are going to look at the teams entire body of work. Illinois has to have a strong finish to the season in order to get into at large consideration. They don't have any games remaining against opponents that will impress anyone. They cannot afford many more losses.

FWIW, d1 Baseball's "view" of the B1G's chances with one month left in the season:

Maryland #2 seed
Iowa #3 seed (#63 - second last team in)
Rutgers #3 seed (#64 - last team in)

Illinois - left out (#68)
Michigan - left out

Margin for error? About nil.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
If Illinois was in in that scenario, then Iowa would have to be in if they had what we have discussed.

I agree.

I'm really liking that Michigan, Maryland and Rutgers have to play each other. Even if one team "goes off," that means the other teams will get lots of Ls.

FWIW, d1 Baseball's "view" of the B1G's chances with one month left in the season:

Maryland #2 seed
Iowa #3 seed (#63 - second last team in)
Rutgers #3 seed (#64 - last team in)

Illinois - left out (#68)
Michigan - left out

Margin for error? About nil.
Lack of marquee OOC victories

Latest predictions have Iowa 35-14 (18-6) with a 51 RPI with the following conference standings:
Rutger 21-3 (33 RPI)
Iowa 18-6 (49)
Illinois 16-8 (93)
Maryland 15-9 (11)?!
Michigan 13-12 (100)

Lack of marquee OOC victories

Latest predictions have Iowa 35-14 (18-6) with a 51 RPI with the following conference standings:
Rutger 21-3 (33 RPI)
Iowa 18-6 (49)
Illinois 16-8 (93)
Maryland 15-9 (11)?!
Michigan 13-12 (100)
I don't see how Rutgers finishes 21-3. RPI is a pretty flawed tool at predicting outcomes, and baseball is much more susceptible to "upsets" due to the nature of the game. Just don't see Rutgers' pitching allowing them to sweep out. At Ohio State, at Michigan and home vs Maryland. No way they are winning 9 games. Similarly, 18-6 for Iowa is very optimistic. Very winnable series for Iowa coming up, but it's hard to go 10-2 over 4 series.

May come down to Iowa having to at least win a game or 2 in the BTT.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
So Iowa will lose points by taking 2/3 on the road. Awesome.

Even more awesome is the hard truth: for each remaining series, Iowa will lose RPI points if it doesn't end up sweeping the opponent. Not outside the realm of possibility that Iowa could lose RPI points even if it sweeps Purdue or Indiana at home.

Even more awesome is the hard truth: for each remaining series, Iowa will lose RPI points if it doesn't end up sweeping the opponent. Not outside the realm of possibility that Iowa could lose RPI points even if it sweeps Purdue or Indiana at home.
They absolutely will. That's why I've said if they're going to lose then have it be on the road.

(+17)/(-48)
You were darn close. Nice work!
Shoot, worse than I thought and I tried to be conservative in my prediction. Losing -14 to -18 points by winning a series in Lincoln is rough.

I think Purdue will be better against the RPI than your typical 150s RPI team because their record is good. I think that is 50% of the calculation so I am holding out some hope there that a series win may be RPI positive for Iowa.

Shoot, worse than I thought and I tried to be conservative in my prediction. Losing -14 to -18 points by winning a series in Lincoln is rough.

I think Purdue will be better against the RPI than your typical 150s RPI team because their record is good. I think that is 50% of the calculation so I am holding out some hope there that a series win may be RPI positive for Iowa.
Warren Nolan still says 17-7 in conference. Win both midweeks. This time losing once to Nebraska and twice to Purdue. RPI is 46 in this case.

Updated 4-29

Iowa will lose 26 points with a series win at Nebby and gain 36 points with a sweep

Next week Illinois State should be a 10 point victory. Purdue series could be 5-10 points with a series win. Maybe 65-75 points with a sweep?

The week after at MSU has some winnable games coming up and could be .500 by the time they play Iowa. MSU knocked off Notre Dame this week. Hopefully Iowa doesn't lose any points with a series win and maybe 50-60 points with a sweep.

The final week at UIC could be a 15 point win. Indiana can really help Iowa in the coming weeks. They face Illinois and go to Michigan and host Minnesota. They could get to .500 while knocking Illinois and Michigan down the conference standings. As it stands now, series finale against Indiana could be -45-55 points with a series win and 10-20 points with a sweep.

Iowa currently sits 95 points out of 50. IMO getting to that 50 line is going to be the benchmark to feel better about an at large bid. If Iowa can finish:
2-1 at Nebby -25
1-0 vs Illinois St +10
3-0 vs Purdue +65
2-1 at MSU +0
1-0 at UIC +20
3-0 vs Indiana +20

Iowa 35-14 (18-6) +90 puts them just under that 50 benchmark. A sweep of Nebby or MSU adds another 40ish points and gets them into the 40s.

The margin looks even slimmer now...

Today's comps I tried to find matchups with similar records/RPI and adjusted a bit for differences:
Iowa (+14/-48) at Nebby = Illinois (+28/-41) at Bradley
Ill St vs Iowa (+10) = Bradley vs Iowa +10 last week
Purdue vs Iowa (+25/-45) = Liberty vs UNC (+34/-41) Purdue was hard to judge because their RPI 158 and Record 23-13 are out of whack. Hopefully the numbers are better when the time comes.
Iowa (+20/-40) at MSU = Iowa (+14/-48) at Nebby (MSU could be .500 by this series)
Iowa (+15) at UIC = Iowa (+14/-48) at Nebby
Indiana vs Iowa (+5/-60) = UNCG at Campbell (0/-65) and PSU at WVU (+2/-73)

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraHawk
RPI really is strange. Maryland won 13-0 over Northwestern last night, but dropped 2 slots on Warren Nolan. Northwestern, meanwhile, jumped by double-digits.

I think it's another way of saying what is already said above. Nebraska benefits by getting to play Iowa, causing SOS jump. Iowa doesn't get to play Iowa; instead have to play Nebraska, taking a big hit in SOS / RPI even with a win.

RPI really is strange. Maryland won 13-0 over Northwestern last night, but dropped 2 slots on Warren Nolan. Northwestern, meanwhile, jumped by double-digits.

I think it's another way of saying what is already said above. Nebraska benefits by getting to play Iowa, causing SOS jump. Iowa doesn't get to play Iowa; instead have to play Nebraska, taking a big hit in SOS / RPI even with a win.
Yeah it takes a bit to get used to. Just by playing Northwestern, at home, Maryland has to win to basically stay afloat. They were impacted by teams they have already played losing yesterday. Just like Iowa dropped after winning on the road. Michigan, Illinois and many of Iowa's non-conference foes lost yesterday.

What Iowa needs to do:

Keep winning series (duh)
Hope some of the teams above them in the Big 10 standings lose (if Iowa can somehow finish 1 or 2 in the Big 10, that would put them in a great spot.
Hope that some of their non-con opponents win. Texas Tech dropping out of Top 50 has hurt Iowa. For a day, Iowa was 3-3 in Quad 1 games. Now at 2-2.

Those are the best. You're so terrible, you get swept, still gain RPI points. Other team that swept you is much better and drops. Makes plenty of sense.

To me it makes sense, schedule good teams and get rewarded even if you lose to them. Schedule crap teams and take a hit whether you win or not.

Time to be a wet blanket.

Iowa goes 3-1 on the week.
Wins a B1G series on the road against the pre-season favorite to win the B1G and makes it much harder for that team to qualify for the season-ending tournament.
Iowa gains ground on the team that started the weekend in second place and separated itself from the team it was tied with for 4th place.

And . . . they dropped from #57 on Monday to #70 in RPI right now. Dropped from #60 RPI before game 1 in Lincoln to #70 right now.

Such is RPI. (Sigh)

EDIT: Warren Nolan much have just updated. Iowa now at #66. However, he has the Illinois/Indiana score wrong. He has Illinois winning by same score as yesterday. That will likely cost Iowa 10 or so points which will have them falling to #68 or so.

Last edited:
On a more positive note, Warren Nolan now lists the B1G as the 8th best conference (RPI-wise). It was listed as 10th best conference entering the week.

Time to be a wet blanket.

Iowa goes 3-1 on the week.
Wins a B1G series on the road against the pre-season favorite to win the B1G and makes it much harder for that team to qualify for the season-ending tournament.
Iowa gains ground on the team that started the weekend in second place and separated itself from the team it was tied with for 4th place.

And . . . they dropped from #57 on Monday to #70 in RPI right now. Dropped from #60 RPI before game 1 in Lincoln to #70 right now.

Such is RPI. (Sigh)

EDIT: Warren Nolan much have just updated. Iowa now at #66. However, he has the Illinois/Indiana score wrong. He has Illinois winning by same score as yesterday. That will likely cost Iowa 10 or so points which will have them falling to #68 or so.
Yeah I’ve been waiting for the site to update too. I figured I’d just look at it in the morning. I’m going to go to bed tonight knowing the Hawks did what they needed to do in Lincoln or at least they didn’t blow it. I think the numbers ended up being better than predicted losing only ~13 points this weekend not ~25.

Updated 5-2

Iowa faired better against the RPI that originally projected in the Nebraska series with the series win going +14, -44, +17 on the weekend only losing 13 points.

This week Illinois State should be a 10 point victory. Purdue took 2 of 3 from Michigan this weekend keeping their record above .600. Iowa could gain 20 points with a series win. Maybe 55-65 points with a sweep?

Don't look now but MSU has won 8 of 10 and is .500 on the season. As long as they don't implode at PSU this weekend, this could be a much better than expected RPI series for Iowa. They could gain 10 points with a series win and around 60 with a sweep.

UIC could be a 15-20 point win as they are knocking on the door of a .500 record as well. Indiana was able to do their part this week and took 2 of 3 from Illinois. If they can do the same this weekend in Ann Arbor, it could knock the Wolverines out of the top tier of the B1G leaving 4 teams clearly atop the conference. A likely sweep of the Gophers next week could have the Hoosiers right at .500 when they come to Iowa City. As it stands now, series finale against Indiana could be -45-55 points with a series win and 10-20 points with a sweep.

Unfortunately, Iowa is now 155 points out of 50th in the RPI. IMO getting to that 50 line is going to be the benchmark to feel better about an at large bid even though this team feels like a regional team barring a late season collapse. (Where have we heard this before?) If Iowa can finish:

1-0 vs Illinois St +10
3-0 vs Purdue +60
2-1 at MSU +10
1-0 at UIC +20
3-0 vs Indiana +15

Iowa 35-14 (18-6) +120 puts them into the mid/lower 50s range.

CMU got swept in a 4 game set against Ball State this weekend which certainly didn't help Iowa's RPI. Minnesota winning a few games going down the stretch would really help Iowa as well. UC Irvine has a big week ahead of them as they make a push to make their case for a post season bid. They host SD (47) and a set against UC Santa Barbara (33). Texas Tech, Iowa's marquee win on the season, has now slipped to 51 in the RPI and out of Q1 territory on the Team Sheet. They have a monster series at #4 Oklahoma State (12) this weekend.

Comps I tried to find matchups with similar records/RPI and adjusted a bit for differences:
Purdue vs Iowa (+30/-40) = Michigan at Purdue (+38/-34)
Iowa (+20/-30) at MSU = TT (+21/-31) at Baylor
Iowa (+15) at UIC = TT (+21/-31) at Baylor
Indiana vs Iowa (+5/-60) = Washington at Gonzaga (+2/-61)

Updated 5-2

Iowa faired better against the RPI that originally projected in the Nebraska series with the series win going +14, -44, +17 on the weekend only losing 13 points.

This week Illinois State should be a 10 point victory. Purdue took 2 of 3 from Michigan this weekend keeping their record above .600. Iowa could gain 20 points with a series win. Maybe 55-65 points with a sweep?

Don't look now but MSU has won 8 of 10 and is .500 on the season. As long as they don't implode at PSU this weekend, this could be a much better than expected RPI series for Iowa. They could gain 10 points with a series win and around 60 with a sweep.

UIC could be a 15-20 point win as they are knocking on the door of a .500 record as well. Indiana was able to do their part this week and took 2 of 3 from Illinois. If they can do the same this weekend in Ann Arbor, it could knock the Wolverines out of the top tier of the B1G leaving 4 teams clearly atop the conference. A likely sweep of the Gophers next week could have the Hoosiers right at .500 when they come to Iowa City. As it stands now, series finale against Indiana could be -45-55 points with a series win and 10-20 points with a sweep.

Unfortunately, Iowa is now 155 points out of 50th in the RPI. IMO getting to that 50 line is going to be the benchmark to feel better about an at large bid even though this team feels like a regional team barring a late season collapse. (Where have we heard this before?) If Iowa can finish:

1-0 vs Illinois St +10
3-0 vs Purdue +60
2-1 at MSU +10
1-0 at UIC +20
3-0 vs Indiana +15

Iowa 35-14 (18-6) +120 puts them into the mid/lower 50s range.

CMU got swept in a 4 game set against Ball State this weekend which certainly didn't help Iowa's RPI. Minnesota winning a few games going down the stretch would really help Iowa as well. UC Irvine has a big week ahead of them as they make a push to make their case for a post season bid. They host SD (47) and a set against UC Santa Barbara (33). Texas Tech, Iowa's marquee win on the season, has now slipped to 51 in the RPI and out of Q1 territory on the Team Sheet. They have a monster series at #4 Oklahoma State (12) this weekend.

Comps I tried to find matchups with similar records/RPI and adjusted a bit for differences:
Purdue vs Iowa (+30/-40) = Michigan at Purdue (+38/-34)
Iowa (+20/-30) at MSU = TT (+21/-31) at Baylor
Iowa (+15) at UIC = TT (+21/-31) at Baylor
Indiana vs Iowa (+5/-60) = Washington at Gonzaga (+2/-61)
We may be looking at a case where Iowa hopefully positions themselves where one or two in the conference tournament gets them in. If you start 2-0 though, may as well win it all.

Thanks for all the work and info on this, very interesting! Good distraction from Iowa bball not being about to land a big in the portal, Kris now possibly going to the NBA and the arguments around Goodson being a mid round draft pick.

From an RPI perspective, Iowa simply cannot afford to lose at home to Illinois State or on the road to Illinois-Chicago. The margin for error for this team right now is very small.
You would think so, right? The current predictor has Iowa losing 1 to Purdue and at UIC finishing 34-15 (18-6) and 39 in the RPI. To get all the way down to 39, Iowa would need some serious help from its opponents.

You would think so, right? The current predictor has Iowa losing 1 to Purdue and at UIC finishing 34-15 (18-6) and 39 in the RPI. To get all the way down to 39, Iowa would need some serious help from its opponents.

Yeah the RPI predictor has been a real head scratcher.

Welp, Iowa’s home loss to Illinois State hurts but it is not a death sentence. Iowa needs to finish strong.

They literally have to win out.
Not necessarily. Right now the predictor has Iowa losing to UIC and losing 1 against Indiana, finishing 33-16 (18-6) with an RPI of 56. That’s likely good enough for 2nd in the B1G and an at large bid. Iowa’s margins are razor thin now tho…

Not necessarily. Right now the predictor has Iowa losing to UIC and losing 1 against Indiana, finishing 33-16 (18-6) with an RPI of 56. That’s likely good enough for 2nd in the B1G and an at large bid. Iowa’s margins are razor thin now tho…
You go 0-2 in the conference tournament then you're well into the 60's. Iowa can't afford to go 0-2 in Omaha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT