ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers up next

Well it will be fun for one team anyway. I'll say this. This will be a totally different game then the one Iowa played in Friday against Michigan. Excellent game with great pace and flow. Even mentioned by many of the national talking heads as a great game of college bball, the way it should be played. Wednesday will be different. This will be a scrappy ugly game, If Iowa lets Rutgers make it like that. If Iowa can push the pace, and keep their flow they win by 15 to 20 points. If not it will go down to the wire. Either way, it will be a good test to prepare the Hawks for Wisconsin, who is another team that needs to muddy the game up to win on the road.....
Rutgers fan here. Rutgers likes to run and thrives in transition. Our half court O is mediocre. And RU is much deeper than most teams. We substitute lines of players like hockey. IMO the keys to victory for Iowa are to have a couple of hot shooters from outside so we can't key on one guy, have the refs call a lot of fouls generally, or get Myles Johnson in early foul trouble.

On the other side, if Rutgers dominates the paint and gets a lot of second chance points. if Myles Johnson has a strong game and is on the floor 25 minutes or more, and if the refs let them play, those are good signs for RU.

I was there... as soon as we saw the RU player tip it toward the Iowa guy set up for 3, we panicked.
On a different note, I saw Baker with the cast/splint on his thumb during the Minny game. He must be a tough kid to play with that. Hurts to look at it.
On the other hand, we have Garza who has been through the wars. I can see a game late in the season where we're in a tie game with 5 seconds to go. After a timeout, Garza comes in with his leg in a splint, on crutches, both nostrils stuffed with cotton, and two stitched lips. All the while this is going on, his dad Frank is screaming, "Let the peacock fly!!!!!"

I believe they started to cheer just before Weezy let it go, thinking it would be a miss. ;) After it was made a deafening silence came over the crowd.
Still the best shot EVER in a basketball game. Gotta tip your hat to a play like that!

Looking forward to the game! We won’t have the revenge factor like last year, though.

Strength on Strength and though defense does travel, there isn’t much of an answer to Garza. Lottery pick! Our best chance is to keep throwing fresh bodies at him and wearing him down, if possible.

We play a nine man rotation so hopefully that’s more than y’all?

On a different note, I saw Baker with the cast/splint on his thumb during the Minny game. He must be a tough kid to play with that. Hurts to look at it.
On the other hand, we have Garza who has been through the wars. I can see a game late in the season where we're in a tie game with 5 seconds to go. After a timeout, Garza comes in with his leg in a splint, on crutches, both nostrils stuffed with cotton, and two stitched lips. All the while this is going on, his dad Frank is screaming, "Let the peacock fly!!!!!"
Easy to root for a guy like that.

Hawks need to go zone-heavy and make them beat us with perimeter shots...but guard Harper closely. Rebound as a team and make free throws. go hawks.

I did add the caveat, IF Iowa is able to get into their flow, and this doesn't turn into a slow down wrestling match like some BIG games do. Iowa has been one the top 5 efficency teams all season, in fact #1 for good part of the year. Rutgers like most of the BIG schools has struggled on the road. If Iowa gets this game going to their pace they'll be in the 75 to 85 point range and they'll run Rutgers or anybody out of Carver. If Rutgers is able to muddy the game like Wisky does, and they keep Iowa under 70, then it will be a close one.
I understand the caveats. The reason for my comment is the only team that has won by the numbers you are talking about in the last 2 years is Rutgers. Based in recent history it seems far likelier that Rutgers will dictate the style than Iowa.
I understand the caveats. Most understand the likelihood of them coming true is very very small.

I guess I am not sure where you are getting this info? KenPom has Iowas SOS at 8, Rutgers at 50. Non Conference KenPom has Iowa at 63 and Rutgers at 282.
I think hes looking at the NET Team Sheets the committee will use for seeding. They have:

Iowa Overall SOS: 100
OOC SOS: 164

Rutgers Overall SOS:16
OOC SOS: 29

I don't know why there is such a discrepancy with kenpom and other metrics but these are the numbers the committee will see

I am hoping the RU players aren’t thinking that. Their youth concerns me a bit for this one.
Our youth concerns us, too, except, oddly enough, this crew doesn't let the environment rattle them. It's almost unnerving that four sophs and a Freshman don't seem phased by much...yet.

Anyway, if you ask me, patterning our programs after Iowa's in most sports (only because I know nothing of your sports outside Football, Hoops, and of course, Wrestling) isn't a bad thing.

Plus, I'm still digging the props y'all provided our Punter for his performance against you this past fall! :D

(Just realized you might be from RU :rolleyes:)

Reactions: MrsScrew
Our youth concerns us, too, except, oddly enough, this crew doesn't let the environment rattle them. It's almost unnerving that four sophs and a Freshman don't seem phased by much...yet.

Anyway, if you ask me, patterning our programs after Iowa's in most sports (only because I know nothing of your sports outside Football, Hoops, and of course, Wrestling) isn't a bad thing.

Plus, I'm still digging the props y'all provided our Punter for his performance against you this past fall! :D

(Just realized you might be from RU :rolleyes:)

I thought it would be more obvious than it was.

“Everything sucks!

Bon Jovi forever!

Schiano deserves a shrine!”

There.

Reactions: RUHouston
Hawks need to go zone-heavy and make them beat us with perimeter shots...but guard Harper closely. Rebound as a team and make free throws. go hawks.

Interestingly, Rutgers has done a superb job against zone of getting shots in the paint. A 2-3 zone makes it pretty easy to get the ball into the high post around the foul line, and we've been using 6-6 playmaker Paul Mulcahy in that spot, and he has such good vision and passing ability that he's able to find guys for shots from that perch, or, if the bigs down low aren't open, he has a knack for driving down the lane to get his own shot.

Still, I find it curious that more teams haven't tried playing zone against us, as we're only shooting around 29-30% from deep, whereas our 2-pt FG percentage is over 50% (one of the best in the conference).

With your injury issues and 8-man rotation, I suspect Fran will try some zone, and we'll see whether that high-post game is working for us.

I understand the caveats. The reason for my comment is the only team that has won by the numbers you are talking about in the last 2 years is Rutgers. Based in recent history it seems far likelier that Rutgers will dictate the style than Iowa.
I understand the caveats. Most understand the likelihood of them coming true is very very small.
Thats all good, but if your boys can slow down Garzilla, you'll be the first ones this season. You don't average 28 points a game in conference by accident. Even then you'll have the bomb squad to deal with Wieskamp and Fredrick drop three bombs. Rutgers hasn't been as good on the road, just like most of the league, and we've beaten better teams at home and on the road, but we'll see on wednesday......

I guess I am not sure where you are getting this info? KenPom has Iowas SOS at 8, Rutgers at 50. Non Conference KenPom has Iowa at 63 and Rutgers at 282.
I'm sure you read bac2theRac response to your post on the Rutgers site? Below is his posted after your first response.

yet the NET is what the committee is using for selection process. I do think that KenPom overall number is on there at the top. Here is the official team sheet they use as an example. I know people personally love KenPom, I do bracket projections here and for that purpose I find it generally worthless. I use the methodology that the NCAA has explained

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-selections

The committee often refers to "team sheets" when comparing team performance. The team sheets contain in-depth team information about strength of schedule, performance against teams sorted by quadrants and results.

Starting with the 2017-18 season, the team sheets took on a new look. They now not only include each team’s NET, but also include a team’s ranking in five other metrics: the ESPN strength of record and BPI rankings, as well as the KPI, KenPom and Sagarin rankings

here is an example of a team sheet

MU_MBB_Team_Sheet_1_15.png

Interestingly, Rutgers has done a superb job against zone of getting shots in the paint. A 2-3 zone makes it pretty easy to get the ball into the high post around the foul line, and we've been using 6-6 playmaker Paul Mulcahy in that spot, and he has such good vision and passing ability that he's able to find guys for shots from that perch, or, if the bigs down low aren't open, he has a knack for driving down the lane to get his own shot.

Still, I find it curious that more teams haven't tried playing zone against us, as we're only shooting around 29-30% from deep, whereas our 2-pt FG percentage is over 50% (one of the best in the conference).

With your injury issues and 8-man rotation, I suspect Fran will try some zone, and we'll see whether that high-post game is working for us.

This made me chuckle.

Playmaker Paul is averaging 19 MPG, 3.8 PPG and 2.5 APG this season.

I think hes looking at the NET Team Sheets the committee will use for seeding. They have:

I don't know why there is such a discrepancy with kenpom and other metrics but these are the numbers the committee will see

Thanks for posting this... All I can say is

'WTF NCAA? What type of ass backwards mathematics did you use to calculate SOS? Rutgers is 5-3 in Quad 1 and 2 games; Iowa is 8-4. Do the sub 300 teams really hurt IA's SOS that much?

This made me chuckle.

Mulcahy is a reserve, but he will almost certainly see heavier minutes if we see a 2-3 zone. The few times teams threw that defense out there, we carved it up for a few plays with Mulcahy at the foul line and they've bailed out of it quickly.

Adjusted per 40 min, Baker has 5.3 assists to 2.5 tov, while Mulcahy has 5.2 assists to 2.0 tov. But while he's an efficient scorer (.635 eFG%), he generally doesn't look for his shot (just 5.6 FGA per 40 min).

Reactions: Scangg
This made me chuckle.

I mean, if you haven't watched any of our games, I'm not really sure how you can comment (or chuckle for that matter). Teams haven't played a lot of zone against us, but when they do, I'm telling you exactly what we've done. Not understanding the snark here.

That aside, how many other players in the conference average 2.5 assists in just 19 minutes per game off the bench? (as a true freshman)? I'd venture a guess, not many (if any). The kid AVERAGED a triple-double as a high school senior last year, the first player to do that in NJ in something like 20 years.

I mean, if you haven't watched any of our games, I'm not really sure how you can comment (or chuckle for that matter). Teams haven't played a lot of zone against us, but when they do, I'm telling you exactly what we've done. Not understanding the snark here.

That aside, how many other players in the conference average 2.5 assists in just 19 minutes per game off the bench? (as a true freshman)? I'd venture a guess, not many (if any). The kid AVERAGED a triple-double as a high school senior last year, the first player to do that in NJ in something like 20 years.

So why doesnt he play more?

Which schedule do you think is better? I didn't include road/home/neutral locations or scores. But we are all smart here. Look it up.
Rutgers-

Bryant W
Niagra W
Drexel W
St Bonaventure L
S.F. Austin W
NJIT W
Umass W
Pitt L
Seton Hall W
Lafayette W
Cadwell W

Iowa-

SIU Edwardsville W
DePaul L
Oral Roberts W
North Florida W
Cal Poly W
Texas Tech W
San Diego St L
Syracuse W
Iowa State W
Cincinnati W
Kennesaw State W

So why doesnt he play more?

Largely because we have a lot of depth at guard, and he doesn't have to. If this were two years ago, he'd have been relied on much more heavily in the guard rotation, and thankfully we don't have to throw a true freshman to the wolves this year like we did with Baker. He thrives against a zone, though.

Right now, he's still working on his man defense, and while he is good at protecting the ball and finding open men, he doesn't look for his own shot that often.

Our guard depth right now only has Baker with more than 23 min:
Baker (6-4, Jr) - 29.3 min, 10.7 pts, 2.5 rb, 3.9 ast, 1.9 tov
McConnell (6-6, So) - 22.7 min, 7.4 pts, 4.5 rb, 1.9 ast, 1.6 tov
Mathis (6-4, So) - 22.3 min, 6.9 pts, 3.4 rb, 1.4 ast, 1.1 tov
Young (6-1, RS Jr) - 21.2 min, 8.9 pts, 2.8 rb, 2.0 ast, 2.3 tov
Mulcahy (6-6, Fr) - 19.2 min, 3.8 pts, 2.8 rb, 2.5 ast, 0.9 tov

I would make Rutgers beat me from 3 and pack in the paint. If we have a hot night so be it.

Agreed. Teams haven't played much zone which is odd since we aren't good from 3. We are very good at attacking the offensive glass and it's hard to defensive rebound out of a zone so that might have something to do with it.

Paul has done phenomenal against the 2-3 zone at the foul line. He finds the right pass. Takes it in occasionally. Looks to dump it down low. Iowa doesn't have great athletes he would struggle with so I expect a good game from him here.

This made me chuckle.

No one on the team has amazing stats. It's spread around. He's also a true freshman off the bench. You clearly haven't seen him play. His court vision and passing are elite. This reminds me of the Minnesota board not thinking Young would be the quickest fastest player on the court and laughing at me for saying so. He clearly was. You'll see Paul's game. He is a true pass first play maker

Which schedule do you think is better? I didn't include road/home/neutral locations or scores. But we are all smart here. Look it up.
Rutgers-

Bryant W
Niagra W
Drexel W
St Bonaventure L
S.F. Austin W
NJIT W
Umass W
Pitt L
Seton Hall W
Lafayette W
Cadwell W

Iowa-

SIU Edwardsville W
DePaul L
Oral Roberts W
North Florida W
Cal Poly W
Texas Tech W
San Diego St L
Syracuse W
Iowa State W
Cincinnati W
Kennesaw State W

I think NET is bringing your SOS down because of your three lowest games (312 Cal Poly, 343 SIUE, 349 Kennesaw St) vs. our three lowest (231 Bryant, 279 Niagara, and 301 NJIT). But, imo, all Q4 wins are pretty much created equal - who cares if it's a team ranked 280 or 350?

Looking only at the Q1-Q3 games on our schedules, I'd say you have had a bit of a tougher road so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT