ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers up next

The way I see this game is similar to last season. Rutgers has some elite defenders with speed and quickness (Young), strength (Mathis), length (Caleb) that can really bother Iowa. Stay home and defend the 3. Make them beat you off the dribble. Opposing teams best perimeter players have struggled B1G against Rutgers D. Garza likely gets his but still may have a below average performance. Myles has size and he's long. If Garza gets him in foul trouble that would be a major key to their success. Carter has played much better of late off the bench but he's no Myles.

On the flip side, Iowa will struggle to contain Young and his quickness will lead to easy buckets. The rest of the perimeter players should take it hard to the rim and pound the offensive glass. Relentless bully ball. Mulcahy could be the key if they go zone. He will find open looks. Just need a couple guys to be on from 3. Harper caleb yeboah Geo Mathis and even paul capable of hitting a couple.

Always a threat of Iowa being lights out from 3 but they will need it to get the W. Otherwise, I see this as similar to last year where Rutgers length athleticism and toughness wear Iowa down.

Depth has been a major key for us all season and should continue tomorrow night

Interestingly, Rutgers has done a superb job against zone of getting shots in the paint. A 2-3 zone makes it pretty easy to get the ball into the high post around the foul line, and we've been using 6-6 playmaker Paul Mulcahy in that spot, and he has such good vision and passing ability that he's able to find guys for shots from that perch, or, if the bigs down low aren't open, he has a knack for driving down the lane to get his own shot.

Still, I find it curious that more teams haven't tried playing zone against us, as we're only shooting around 29-30% from deep, whereas our 2-pt FG percentage is over 50% (one of the best in the conference).

With your injury issues and 8-man rotation, I suspect Fran will try some zone, and we'll see whether that high-post game is working for us.

The problem with playing zone against a bad shooting team like RU is that they are a bad shooting team but a strong rebounding team. When a defender plays an area and not a man it becomes more difficult to locate all 5 offensive players to block out for rebounding purposes. RU makes up for the poor shooting with strong rebounding and that is exponentially harder to keep them off the offensive glass when the defense of choice is a zone. If you’re not the superior rebounding team it is difficult to be effective in a zone defense.

The problem with playing zone against a bad shooting team like RU is that they are a bad shooting team but a strong rebounding team. When a defender plays an area and not a man it becomes more difficult to locate all 5 offensive players to block out for rebounding purposes. RU makes up for the poor shooting with strong rebounding and that is exponentially harder to keep them off the offensive glass when the defense of choice is a zone. If you’re not the superior rebounding team it is difficult to be effective in a zone defense.
It is for the reasons mentioned above that I'm very concerned about this game. We will have to play our very best in all phases of the game. No fall off in anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg

This is an excellent point. It is absolutely more difficult to rebound from zone than man. And Rutgers is one of the best rebounding teams in the B1G.

Really looking forward to the conference’s best offense going up against its best defense. Strength versus strength.

You Rutgers Basketball fans are 12,000% more tolerable than Nebraska football fans....

OGC.6213b674778f7253da1f31874be79eae

Holy shit, where did all these Rutgers fans come from?? Who knew? Just think if they become really good in football and basketball, which appears to be happening.

Who are the worst fans in the B1G from Iowa's perspective?

Wisconsin followed by Nebraska. At least Wisconsin is relevant, so they can be annoying. Huskers are completely irrelevant, which makes them comical an pathetic.

Holy shit, where did all these Rutgers fans come from?? Who knew? Just think if they become really good in football and basketball, which appears to be happening.

Wisconsin followed by Nebraska. At least Wisconsin is relevant, so they can be annoying. Huskers are completely irrelevant, which makes them comical an pathetic.
We have one of the largest online fan bases in college athletics. I know, weird considering our history.

I believe we are one of the largest in the rivals network.

Once Schiano gets football back to a decent level, you guys will be shocked at what happens in the northeast. We had a stretch where our Big East games were becoming a red carpet type event. Can only imagine what will happen when RU is good and Ohio State, Michigan, etc come to town. The B1G will finally understand what Delaney saw in us.

Good luck tomorrow.

I've been around over on the football board since last August. I made the trip to IC for the game in September and had such a great time Iowa moved up to a tie with Arkansas for my favorite away game location. Already looking forward to 2022 for the next game.
When our AD didn't hire Schiano the first time I temporarily became a full time Iowa fan.. Even bought myself an Iowa hat and wore it out in public, much to the confusion of my friends who know my Rutgers allegiance.
@Farleyhawk met my friends and I when we were out there @Franisdaman has awarded me honorary Hawkeye status.

Also, a NJ state Senator tweeted out about this message board and over on the Rutgers MBB board there's a thread about Iowa fans on Twitter and elsewhere being not so nice, I posted the link to here pointing out that you all were rational, intelligent and pleasant to interact with.

Last edited:
Pretty sure we have one of the most active boards on rivals
(Feeling a little dickish this morning...) And what's the most active forum, women's volleyball or men's gymnastics?

Sorry shouldn't give you guys a hard time -it seems to me that the Rutgers posters that have come over here are polite and knowledgeable (unlike fans from the west of Iowa City)

Here's to good game...

Reactions: miketd1
I mean, if you haven't watched any of our games, I'm not really sure how you can comment (or chuckle for that matter). Teams haven't played a lot of zone against us, but when they do, I'm telling you exactly what we've done. Not understanding the snark here.

That aside, how many other players in the conference average 2.5 assists in just 19 minutes per game off the bench? (as a true freshman)? I'd venture a guess, not many (if any). The kid AVERAGED a triple-double as a high school senior last year, the first player to do that in NJ in something like 20 years.
Different game. Joe T, Iowa's freshman point guard was the leading career scorer at Cardinal Mooney in Brooklyn NY, where they have had future pro's play, and to this point his offense hasn't jelled in college. Our forward CMac is 2nd in the nation with a 4.5 to 1 assist to turnover margin and his numbers were similar last year as a non starter.....

(Feeling a little dickish this morning...) And what's the most active forum, women's volleyball or men's gymnastics?

Sorry shouldn't give you guys a hard time -it seems to me that the Rutgers posters that have come over here are polite and knowledgeable (unlike fans from the west of Iowa City)

Here's to good game...

:)

We generally have a ton of off topic threads throughout the off-season, so there's always activity in the Rutgers online community even when there's no game to talk about. A lot of our talk is on the free board too, rather than premium. We've also picked up a few fans from other teams that have become almost regulars, usually after meeting Mrs Screw or others when they travel to away games.

Have to say, though, the posting had gotten much much leaner on the football side the last couple of years. The return of Schiano has definitely caused more of a flurry of activity.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa

Here's to good game...
Jokes on you. Rutgers doesn't have men's gymnastics

I would love to take in a Hawkeye game at the Louis Brown AC some day. That place looks like a real snake pit for visiting teams.

Reactions: Scangg and MrsScrew
I would love to take in a Hawkeye game at the Louis Brown AC some day. That place looks like a real snake pit for visiting teams.
Great atmosphere. You couldn't build an arena like the RAC today as the stands are too steep and don't meet modern code. But that steepness means the fans are right on top of the game and it's loud as hell.

Reactions: MrsScrew
This game worries me because defense travels.

RU’s speed will bother our guards, and they are every bit our match on the glass. If we don’t get back in transition, it will be a long night.

This game worries me because defense travels.

RU’s speed will bother our guards, and they are every bit our match on the glass. If we don’t get back in transition, it will be a long night.

RU is 1-3 on the road this year with the only win at Nebraska.

They have lost road games to MSU, Illinois and Pittsburgh. Its really really tough to win on the road in conference this year.

Really tough to win on the road. I don't expect to beat you guys, but it would be awesome.

We will play defense and we will rebound. That is all I know. In our last 8 games nobody has scored more than 62 points against us. I recognize that might change given how talented a team Iowa is on offense but I am sure we will make the offensive experience much less fun than usual for Iowa. Us scoring enough to beat you, however, seems very difficult.

What the Weiskamp/the Backboard did to us last year left me with such disgust. I hope we get some lucky breaks. Looking forward to a good game in which both teams stay healthy!

They have lost road games to MSU, Illinois and Pittsburgh. Its really really tough to win on the road in conference this year.
IL was close loss without Baker’s steadying influence on the floor

If you're looking at Rutgers season so far, everything changed at the Caldwell game. Jacob Young is an elite defender and his speed will jump out at you when you see him tonight. He was terribleeee on offense before this game. Driving out of control causing TOs. Since that game, he has been excellent and adds a dimension this team didn't have before

What/who would you Iowa fans say is the wild card factor in this game for your team?

Great question.

Toussaint, imo. He has the ability to really stress defenses because of his quickness and aggression. While not a great shooter he can take a game over by getting to the rim and creating for others, but he is also young, inconsistent and turnover prone.

we’ll see who shows up tonight.

What/who would you Iowa fans say is the wild card factor in this game for your team?

CJ Fredrick

We need to hit from 3 this game to keep things open for Garza down low. He is shooting over 50% from 3 this year as a freshman.

Looking at our road losses:

Pitt was tough because their guards were very athletic and put a lot of aggressive ball pressure, which it made it difficult to get clean looks to get the ball into the post. 20 turnovers that game, and we struggled mightily from three (4-23, frequently settling for long or contested shots after not being able to get the ball inside the arc).

MSU was a 2 point game with under 8 to play, before the game got away from us with Johnson on the bench. Johnson really struggled with fouls (5 fouls in just 15 min). Just one of three games we were outrebounded (@MSU, @Illinois, vs. Indiana).

Illinois was close down to the wire. It also saw Johnson limited by fouls (4 fouls in just 13 game minutes) and us outrebounded.

Getting Johnson in foul trouble to keep him off the glass would be a key to the game if you guys can pull it off - we're a much better team with him on the floor, and our biggest depth dropoff is when he's off the floor.

Great question.

Toussaint, imo. He has the ability to really stress defenses because of his quickness and aggression. While not a great shooter he can take a game over by getting to the rim and creating for others, but he is also young, inconsistent and turnover prone.

we’ll see who shows up tonight.
This sounds like a good wildcard pick. It will be interesting to see how he handles the constant in your face defense Rutgers will bring

CJ Fredrick

We need to hit from 3 this game to keep things open for Garza down low. He is shooting over 50% from 3 this year as a freshman.
Wow over 50% is insane. Does he not take too many 3's?

Rutgers fans can only dream of someday having a legit lethal 3 point shooter *sigh* We would lose our minds if we had someone at 40%

I would throw Illinois in the mix

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT