ADVERTISEMENT

S. Lee looks like a better J. McGinness.

After watching all the matches again, Lee must have freakish strength in the glutes. Tomasello had the leg fully twice and Lee put the foot down obliterating the grip.

Also, even better than McG he somehow stays off his back. Suriano almost whipped him over, and Spencer was in real danger, but he powered out of that, too.

After watching all the matches again, Lee must have freakish strength in the glutes. Tomasello had the leg fully twice and Lee put the foot down obliterating the grip.

Also, even better than McG he somehow stays off his back. Suriano almost whipped him over, and Spencer was in real danger, but he powered out of that, too.
He’s a generational talent. Kid is unbelievable.

I have no doubt if Mater and Lee wrestled again he would tech fall or stick him. He said he was giving his opponents too much respect. Brands told him he could turn Mater. Stop giving these guys respect.
Look at second matchups vs Piccinni and Rivera vs first match, and third match Mater.
Took him two matches to figure out Mater then he completely destroyed all three.
Even without the fall he was up 13-2 on Mater with riding time.
When is the last time you saw Mater down 13-2?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this meet, fun to watch. Love Bobby D's fanny pack....Also, I'd love to know what Bono was complaining to the ref about (in the 2nd period vs Lincoln Mac), where the ref replies to Bono that "there isn't really much I can do about it"?? It was maybe that he thought Lincoln's skin was too oily, as there was a complaint against Joe Williams in the following match about that, and the commentator said that that had been a re-occurring theme that night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dagboi
Aure at 142 was lucky this was a home meet because there was no way Gable was letting him on the bus afterwards! I don't think I ever saw this kid wrestle again after this meet! Everyone rags on the Brands intensity but watch Gable this meet!

Reactions: Dagboi
I will say that Spencer is unbelievable but as fans we get a little overboard and put a lot of pressure on the kid to bring Iowa back to relevance. I for one am one of those guys. I just hope he doesn't hear the noise and feel that pressure from Iowa fans and just wrestles like Spencer can and does
I don't think Spencer knows what pressure is on the mat.

Reactions: Sett1997 and Dagboi
I will say that Spencer is unbelievable but as fans we get a little overboard and put a lot of pressure on the kid to bring Iowa back to relevance. I for one am one of those guys. I just hope he doesn't hear the noise and feel that pressure from Iowa fans and just wrestles like Spencer can and does

Just guessing of course............

But I think Lee sets Goals to achieve. Our goals for him can't be any higher than what he sets for himself.

Self imposed pressure if anything.

He Good.............

Just guessing of course............

But I think Lee sets Goals to achieve. Our goals for him can't be any higher than what he sets for himself.

Self imposed pressure if anything.

He Good.............

Only pressure he will have is explaining to Gilman how he got tech'd in one period in the world team finals! No disrespect to Gilman but Lee will be coming!

Only pressure he will have is explaining to Gilman how he got tech'd in one period in the world team finals! No disrespect to Gilman but Lee will be coming!
I have a feeling that sudden growth spurts and "a desire to put on some bulk" are going to be rampant wherever Mr. Lee decides to ply his wares. I love me some Gillie, but he may be Cory's problem now.

Went down a wormhole, when did they change the requirements for a pin? Seems a lot of the older matches that they needed a lot more time for the shoulders to be flat than they do nowadays.

What good do you think a post like this serves?
It is called competition I thrived for it. You think Gilman is going to read this and hang his head hell no he isn't he is going to bust his ass, he will know Lee better than anyone in the country by the time they actually wrestle. What good did it serve bringing Dennis in with Ramos? You have to wrestle the best to be the best.

Reactions: McCulloughd
What a terrible comparison.
I could see a little of it in the flow and creativity of his chain-wrestling. But Jeff got out of position waaay more than Spencer ever would, and I didn't see the kind of dominant core strength that allows Spencer to fend off like every shot in the world. Good freshman wrestler, though! I'd take him right now at that second weight class.....

Pic of freakish glutes??
no-country-for-old-men-tommy-lee-jones.jpg

If HR were around back then I wonder what the reaction would have been after that meet. 3 gaping holes in the lineup, 134, 142, and hvy. McGuiness and Williams fading at the end of their matches, and the team only ranked 3rd. Only beating the 7th ranked team by 3. Not to mention a guy getting DQed for stalling. Did that Gable guy know what he was doing?
Then we realize that he had a freshman/sophomore base built that would bring a string of titles in the near future. Seems similar to our current situation maybe? ;)

I don't think it was a horrible comparison. He said Spencer was better. I don't think it's wrong to look for comparisons, but you just can't compare Lee to anyone and I think he said that. Hip strength, all position dominance and his presence alone are incomparable.

Tom's thing on him saying Spencer drives extremely safe so he doesn't get killed and can't wrestle haunt me everyday. He's just too good to be true. I suffer from superstition and irrational worries

Reactions: Dagboi and Hunter78
Enjoy the moment

I don't think it was a horrible comparison. He said Spencer was better. I don't think it's wrong to look for comparisons, but you just can't compare Lee to anyone and I think he said that. Hip strength, all position dominance and his presence alone are incomparable.

Tom's thing on him saying Spencer drives extremely safe so he doesn't get killed and can't wrestle haunt me everyday. He's just too good to be true. I suffer from superstition and irrational worries
Their styles are nothing alike.
Does not surprise me that you suffer from irrational thoughts about a college athlete.

He'll be fine, and we'll be fine....it's great to be coming into another great era of Hawkeye dominance! Give yourself permission to enjoy yourself!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT