ADVERTISEMENT

Same old Same old

I'm the third or fourth most consistent critic and I agree. We're having a decent tournament relative to expectations. There's a bigger question there, as always, but we're having a decent tournament, which is this week's only topic.

who's 1 and 2?

We look really good right now. tonight will tell the tale

How’s being 37 points away from 1st place being premature. I’m not sure we can get to 80 pets when all the dust settles. You honestly think we have more than 4 going in the morning? When can I talk about the same old excuses? Yes I understand the competition but the program has been in a downward spiral for 6 plus years.

You keep showing your ignorance OVER AND OVER again.

If Iowa just wins 1 more match per wrestler they are GUARANTEED 30 pts.

Lee can score up to 15 more points.

DeSanto has Parker in the R12 and should be fired up to avenge that loss. That win alone guarantees 3.5 more points. After that it is a minimum of .5 for each advancement and then 1 more pt. for 7th, 3 for 6th, 4 for 5th, 6 for 4th and 7 for 3rd. None of that includes any points for bonus wins.

Murin has Red and then McKee or Moran(whom he already beat). Both are winnable matches.

Lugo has Thorn and then the winner of Finesilver and Prince. Both are VERY winnable matches.

Young has Berger to make the Finals. The way he is wrestling, this is doable.

Marinelli has a tough draw, but that is no sudden surprise. He can score a dozen more points if he wrestles to 3rd.

Wilcke is out after losing to the 4th and 5th seeds. Tough draw for a 12 seed.

Warner has looked solid after taking a hard upset. Also, the guy he lost to almost beat a 1 loss Brucki in the quarterfinals.

Stoll is wrestling on ONE leg and still has a guy he beat on 1 leg in the R12 match to make the podium.

This team will score right around 100 pts when all is said and done and that should be good enough for 2nd place!

Spoiled.

Dont know how lucky you are for a team like Iowa and TnT as coaches. Each year in the top 5 or 6 but that just doesnt seem to be enough. You want to be PSU, annual champs. Well, theres only one of them, just like there was only one Iowa in the Gable years.

Now look at Rutgers, clawing to one day make the top 10 for first time ever. Have their first national champ..ever

Better thank your lucky stars for what you have

Remind me the last time Iowa was relevant, I could care less about excuses but your the expert. When was the last time we had multiple national champs in a year? Last team champs at any tournament besides Midlands? You can settle for 3-5 place finishes but I’m sick of it. I was born and raised and watched Gable dominate so my expectations are high and I understand the culture shift but these were all winnable matches we lost. Call me all names in the world, but something has to change drastically for Iowa to ever be back to the gold standard.
You can hope and wish and pine for the past, but the Gable years are over. Enjoy the memories. The reality is that a run like that will probably never happen again. That's not to say that Iowa shouldn't strive to win championships but everyone knew they didn't have the horses this year. I'm mostly interested in the guys performing to the best of their ability not really concerned what other teams do.

If the Bull wins today we leave this round better than I thought we would. Too bad he won't get the title this year, seeding committee made sure he would be beat down if he ever made the finals, would have been nice to see him get through that and prove he's the best.

I'll get blasted for this but wtf...
All this "we weren't expected to win bc we weren't favored so its okay" garbage has got to stop. Eff that sheet. Not expected to win according to who? The NCAA seeding committee? Who cares. If we are doing what we should from start to finish , starting with recruiting all the way thru how guys perform on the big stage, using all the advantages we have as a program, we should be expected to win the bulk of these types of matches. That was the Gable magic and I know Gables gone but damnit we should still have the formula and use it.
But unfortunately I think this not expected to win crap has infected the program to an extent to and that's a damn shame. And it's a fricking bailout.

What have you personally done to improve Iowa Wrestling?
Attended meets and bought gear for last 25 years, so I guess I can’t expect more unless I donate 100k a year or should I be happy that we are out of the meet before Friday Evening.

Team Scores
1 Penn State 80.0
2 Ohio State 66.5
3 Oklahoma State 56.0
4 Iowa 43.5
5 Michigan 40.0
6 Missouri 37.0
7 Minnesota 32.0

Here I got lucky and found them. Man my apologies, it’s been a great tourney. If we wrestle well in the consolations we can get 4th. Yeah... Heck of a year. Ooh but wait til next.....or the year after or maybe the year after.

What is your snizzling crying and bitching accomplishing ?

I'll get blasted for this but wtf...
All this "we weren't expected to win bc we weren't favored so its okay" garbage has got to stop. Eff that sheet. Not expected to win according to who? The NCAA seeding committee? Who cares. If we are doing what we should from start to finish , starting with recruiting all the way thru how guys perform on the big stage, using all the advantages we have as a program, we should be expected to win the bulk of these types of matches. That was the Gable magic and I know Gables gone but damnit we should still have the formula and use it.
But unfortunately I think this not expected to win crap has infected the program to an extent to and that's a damn shame. And it's a fricking bailout.
Can I get an Amen brother!

Reactions: Kozisek and Mattski
If the Bull wins today we leave this round better than I thought we would. Too bad he won't get the title this year, seeding committee made sure he would be beat down if he ever made the finals, would have been nice to see him get through that and prove he's the best.
Oh bull shit. He had to beat the 8 seed in the qtrs, not some fricking returning champ or something. Quit making excuses. He lost and shouldn't have and it sucks. Especially for Alex and the team. They need to get better period.

Oh bull shit. He had to beat the 8 seed in the qtrs, not some fricking returning champ or something. Quit making excuses. He lost and shouldn't have and it sucks. Especially for Alex and the team. They need to get better period.
Lewis was 1-0 against Marinelli heading into that match and hasn't lost since November. Not your typical 8 seed which is why people who follow the sport closely made a big deal about the draw.

Before you tell me how much smarter you are than me, get it right brother. Desanto wrestles Gomez smarty pants.

Used the wrong ISU wrestler’s name, but that was inevitably due to Parker being from Michigan. Still, it doesn’t make my points any less valid.

Lewis was 1-0 against Marinelli heading into that match and hasn't lost since November. Not your typical 8 seed which is why people who follow the sport closely made a big deal about the draw.
Lol, good dig but I follow it plenty close. Who should Lewis have been seeded above or behind and how would it have made a difference?

Damn theres alot of trolls and roaches coming out of the wood work. Amazing never hear from any of them until today.
I'll be honest, the guy I wanted to win most was Marinelli and it sucks, not for me but for everything he has gone thru and the emotions he must be feeli g.
His whole world changed last year and he dedicated his entire being for Eli. Somehow for some reason it just didn't go his way and for people to take great joy in the pleasure of seeing him get beat because hes a Hawkeye is unbelievable .

Reactions: MVPFAN and HawkFT
Marinelli loss was disheartening, he was the aggressor the whole match but couldn't finish his shot on a very athletic guy that was basically stalling the whole match. Tough one. The only match that really bothered me was Warners loss in the 2nd round, that was ugly.

Losing Kem and having Stoll in the shape he's in all year made us a non contender from the start, anybody upset had way too high of expectations.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Lol, good dig but I follow it plenty close. Who should Lewis have been seeded above or behind and how would it have made a difference?
It's not about whether he was seeded correctly or not. It's about the fact that he was a way more dangerous 8 seed than an 8 seed typically is. He took early losses to Flynn and White in November which hurt his seed, but he hasnt lost since. He also already had a win over Marinelli. I'm not complaining about the seed, just pointing out that if you just look at the 1 v. 8 seeds, you miss most of the story.

How’s being 37 points away from 1st place being premature. I’m not sure we can get to 80 pets when all the dust settles. You honestly think we have more than 4 going in the morning? When can I talk about the same old excuses? Yes I understand the competition but the program has been in a downward spiral for 6 plus years.

If you truly believe this, you are not a close follower of Iowa Wrestling and know nothing about the program.

Did you know who Mekhi Lewis was before today?

Reactions: Twoooooooo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT