ADVERTISEMENT

Samuel Adams Utopias beer will be illegal in 15 states

Probably won’t be selling that at Kinnick. Hell, the best beer I could find at Kinnick last Saturday was freaking Boomtown. If their goal was to keep me sober, it worked.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
But don't bother looking for it in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont or West Virginia. Utopias are illegal in those states because they contain 28% alcohol by volume, more than five times the potency of typical US brews.

Oregon shows up on some odd lists.
I guess Montana is a surprise but not the Bible Belt.

Reactions: runkpanole
28% ABV...

WTF?

That sounds ridiculous.

Probably way too bourbon-y.

I've got some Goose Island Bourbon County that's 15-16%, and even that is a little too heavy. I'll stick with the Prairie Ales. John's Grocery usually has a stash of them in IC.

WTF, why is it so expensive? They think just because it’s 28% it’s some sort of novelty and they can charge >$200? Not Your Father’s Root Beer has a 19.5% ABV for about $4 a bottle.

Reactions: TennNole17

Sam-Jackson.gif

Probably way too bourbon-y.

I've got some Goose Island Bourbon County that's 15-16%, and even that is a little too heavy. I'll stick with the Prairie Ales. John's Grocery usually has a stash of them in IC.

Jesus Christ, you sound like you work for Prairie.

Any idea on the cost?
A bottle is just north of $200, typically.

The beer is pretty tasty, but you certainly wouldn't make a steady diet of it. It's still, so it's no problem to have a sip and recap the bottle for another day. It saves for years. I'd think of it more like a cognac than a beer in terms of how it's typically drank - a couple fingers after dinner.

Why would it be illegal for having a much higher alcohol content than other beers?
Stupid beer laws in many states prohibit beers above a certain ABV. They must be sold as hard liquor, which has a different tax rate. Iowa had a limit of something like 8% until relatively recently. That said, it's not that uncommon for brewers to mislabel the ABV on beers to avoid such laws.

Stupid beer laws in many states prohibit beers above a certain ABV. They must be sold as hard liquor, which has a different tax rate. Iowa had a limit of something like 8% until relatively recently. That said, it's not that uncommon for brewers to mislabel the ABV on beers to avoid such laws.

So just label it as hard liquor than??

The beer is pretty tasty, but you certainly wouldn't make a steady diet of it. It's still, so it's no problem to have a sip and recap the bottle for another day. It saves for years. I'd think of it more like a cognac than a beer in terms of how it's typically drank - a couple fingers after dinner.
I was really looking for the cost of a 5 ouncer. It's somewhere north of $50, I assume. I've paid that for a scotch and that's generally about 2 oz so not really as bad as it sounds...if the beer is outstanding.

I was really looking for the cost of a 5 ouncer. It's somewhere north of $50, I assume. I've paid that for a scotch and that's generally about 2 oz so not really as bad as it sounds...if the beer is outstanding.
I don't know that I've ever seen it sold at a bar, so it's hard to say. But there's about 5 pours in a bottle (750mL), so $50 per would be near retail. I'd guess a bar would likely close to double that.

The beer is pretty tasty, but you certainly wouldn't make a steady diet of it. It's still, so it's no problem to have a sip and recap the bottle for another day. It saves for years.
It won't "save for years" once you let air/oxygen into the bottle.

It won't "save for years" once you let air/oxygen into the bottle.
I've drank from a bottle that was months old and it didn't oxidize like beer. There's no hoppy character to fade or get skunky...it's more like a super barleywine. It really acts more like a weak liquor than a beer.

I've drank from a bottle that was months old and it didn't oxidize like beer. There's no hoppy character to fade or get skunky...it's more like a super barleywine. It really acts more like a weak liquor than a beer.
Maybe the high alcohol content lowers the level of change, but it's not going to taste the same months later.

Kept sealed "in bottle" most BA stouts age best for about a year or two, then they start losing some of the flavors and smoothness. Not like 10 yr old scotch or something. That's what the beer nerds tell me, anyway.

I've always found the prohibition-lite laws (dry counties, Sunday restrictions, etc) to be such a head scratcher. We advertise alcohol in every corner of 50 states, but put these odd hurdles in the way that does nothing but make it a pain in the ass for grown ass adults in many areas of the country to buy something that's 100% legal. If they somehow prevented alcoholism or drunk driving, that'd at least be something. But I'm pretty sure they do nothing except having the opposite effect (e.g. people driving from "dry" places to "wet" places). I think it's still true in Illinois that you can't buy alcohol until noon on Sunday, as if everyone needs to be in church and not thinking about alcohol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT