ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle

I am SO SORRY for wanting to see us score points
DeSanto scored backpoints in every match at Midlands. Marinelli had RT against a returning AA in Shields. Also rode Wick enough that even when Wick rode him for a whole period, Wick didn't get RT. I'd venture a guess that the three Midlands matches (Viruet, Shields, and Wick) were the only matches this year that Alex didn't score back points. Not being able to ride cost Marinelli some big matches last year...he has improved on that and I believe it will pay dividends in the future.

he became a hawk fan on sunday, he probably doesn't know this.

I’m watching the Scuffle and I see Okie St and PSU scoring back points. I just don’t see us do that (minus one guy) unless we’ve got the vastly superior guy, such as DeSanto vs his opponents at Midlands.

I’d like to see us turn and pin good guys.

I’m watching the Scuffle and I see Okie St and PSU scoring back points. I just don’t see us do that (minus one guy) unless we’ve got the vastly superior guy, such as DeSanto vs his opponents at Midlands.

Quit saying "us". You're a troll. You are too obvious. gtfo

This round, Verk, Berge both lost. Neither scored back points.

I guess you’re a troll if you see an area that needs improvement and don’t just think everything is great.

Joe Smith looks great at 174, wonder if he can quiet Mark Hall a little bit tonight. Him and Fix both look like they have unlimited energy at their current weights, maybe there's something to be said for not cutting super hard. I am stoked for the Iowa/OSU dual in February, just wish (obviously) that Kem was healthy and going as I would love to see him and Smith go at it up at 174.

How can you possibly doubt cat fan after his Rivera call?
Dude stop riding this guys jock on HR. We get it, you feel simpatico because you both support other B1G teams and want to be the face of your school on HR.

Fact is, if I make enough reasonable predictions about my team, I'm bound to be right 30% of the time, which is what scat fan did. He's picking his home team and got one right, you seem to be really pushing the fact that we should be impressed.

Wow, number 2 beat number 1 on his 3rd attempt. Feel free to bow down. Want to be the face of your team, do what normal other team fans do, know your stuff, talk wrestling and don't start a "my team thread of the day" or try and name off as many NW wrestlers as you can in each and every post, we get it, you read the roster.

Do us a favor and make your new years resolution to stop gushing over scatfan in every thread.

I'd like to see us pin and turn good guys too. A lot of the pins and turns you are seeing from PSU are against lessor wrestlers, and we have quite a few of those too. Actually, on day 1 of the midlands I think we had 5 or 6 pins in a row. In our opening two duals at Kent State, we nearly pinned entire teams.

I think your perspective might be off a little bit. PSU is better at pins than we are for sure, but they have a better team right now. We out bonused them at nationals last year and from that point until today, I have seen more Hawk wrestlers working for turns that I have in the past 7 or 8 years, so I think you need a better sampling than just the finals at midlands.

It’s time to draw the line in the Sand! Lee vs Woods at the Scuffle?

Gents, it’s time to jump on the Real Woods bandwagon after he scared Brock from Okie State into a MFF. I say Nick Lee will be held to a close decision in the Scuffle finals. One way or another, I think Lee suffers his first lost of the year. What say you HR Board? Also, should Stanford burn Shane Griffith’s redshirt? He just gave Cenzo his closest match of the year and was giving Rogers all he wanted before he defaulted. He’s better than the starting 165! Whatcha think?

Gents, it’s time to jump on the Real Woods bandwagon after he scared Brock from Okie State into a MFF. I say Nick Lee will be held to a close decision in the Scuffle finals. One way or another, I think Lee suffers his first lost of the year. What say you HR Board? Also, should Stanford burn Shane Griffith’s redshirt? He just gave Cenzo his closest match of the year and was giving Rogers all he wanted before he defaulted. He’s better than the starting 165! Whatcha think?
That's kinda weak. Catfan goes all in on a win over the defending national champ. You follow with predicting your guy to lose - albeit closely - to a 5th place finisher. The bar has been set, you're not making it over.;)

I'd like to see us pin and turn good guys too. A lot of the pins and turns you are seeing from PSU are against lessor wrestlers, and we have quite a few of those too. Actually, on day 1 of the midlands I think we had 5 or 6 pins in a row. In our opening two duals at Kent State, we nearly pinned entire teams.

I think your perspective might be off a little bit. PSU is better at pins than we are for sure, but they have a better team right now. We out bonused them at nationals last year and from that point until today, I have seen more Hawk wrestlers working for turns that I have in the past 7 or 8 years, so I think you need a better sampling than just the finals at midlands.

Finally someone I can actually have a conversation with. I thought we wrestled a great NCAA tournament last year, probably the best I’ve seen out of Iowa in the past 10 years (in regards to expectations & talent level). And yes, PSU is a better team than we are right now.

My real complaint is we aren’t going after turns as hard as we should be and I think that’s from a lack of coaching it. For instance, watch the PSU guys look for a crossface cradle from anywhere. It’s obvious that has become a point of emphasis for their program. Oklahoma St has become great with the hammerlock series. It’s obvious that has become a point of emphasis for their program. We don’t have that.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk

Need more exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!

And a nifty nickname for yourself when referring to yourself in the 3rd person ("wrassler" is already taken).

OMG! The Real Woods is tough! You sound like my brudda from anudda mudda!

First let me correct you, you should have said, "someone I can actually have an intelligent conversation with" being newer to this board, you will find that pretty much everyone agrees that I am the most intelligent person here and because of this, new posters are required to send me $100 deposit for my knowledge, so if you could get on that, I would appreciate it.:D

Okay seriously now, before everyone calls me out for being an idiot, I agree with the type of moves our guys are doing vs. other teams. I think this is a reflection of the coaches and the guys in the room. We don't do a lot of cross face stuff or cow catcher / cement mixers, but we do a lot of arm bar work, work the wings half nelson type stuff, which is a different style but similarly effective.

On that same note, we do a lot of work off ties but not a lot from space, we do a lot of single leg and some (very little) high crotch stuff but not a lot of blast and not a lot of ankle pick stuff. So I guess it's just the type of wrestler and the style of coaching.

TNT are way better coaches than I can ever be, but I am really good at giving my opinion, so here's what I'd like to see: top level guys in the HWC that have different offensive styles. Firemans and single legs are good tools, but we can add more, especially when the single leg results in a turtle shell waiting for stalemate calls.

Dude stop riding this guys jock on HR. We get it, you feel simpatico because you both support other B1G teams and want to be the face of your school on HR.

Fact is, if I make enough reasonable predictions about my team, I'm bound to be right 30% of the time, which is what scat fan did. He's picking his home team and got one right, you seem to be really pushing the fact that we should be impressed.

Wow, number 2 beat number 1 on his 3rd attempt. Feel free to bow down. Want to be the face of your team, do what normal other team fans do, know your stuff, talk wrestling and don't start a "my team thread of the day" or try and name off as many NW wrestlers as you can in each and every post, we get it, you read the roster.

Do us a favor and make your new years resolution to stop gushing over scatfan in every thread.

Neo -- I understand your frustration, and you make fair points. FWIW, I assume most of us who are playing him up are only trying to enjoy the moment and have a laugh. I am sure everyone here has thought catfan is nuts by his posting behavior and style, and absolutely over-the-top bonkers with his Rivera and Deakin predictions vs. the defending national champions. Bottom line, he has been absolutely abused on this board, and he has always greeted it with more positivity. Given all those circumstances, I believe some are eager to celebrate his moment in the sun -- and we're just laughing at ourselves in the process.

He had better be wrong about Deakin-Nolf, though, or he will become an internet legend.

Anyway, that's just my perspective on it. But I respect your points about starting new threads having nothing to do with Iowa, or encouraging such behavior.

Meaningless against Valencia? Good grief dude. Get some reality. That's always a war between those two. It's called credibility which you just lost a ton. Meaningless. Smdh.

Keep up and follow the quote chain. I was replying to Hoythawk who criticized the shush gesture b/c it's a "meaningless tournament" win. I have no issues with the shush. The air guitar was pretty damn cheesy just like Steveson trying to imitate Ali in a wrestling match, but to each their own.

"Hall's air guitar at a meaninglessness dual". That only applies to ASU vs Penn State and Valencia vs Hall. No one needs to keep up. It was specific, very specific. The air guitar was awesome. And yeah, your calling the NCAA means you've never accused Penn State of anything, simply implied. You must really thing people are stupid.

Reactions: Ski
"Hall's air guitar at a meaninglessness dual". That only applies to ASU vs Penn State and Valencia vs Hall. No one needs to keep up. It was specific, very specific. The air guitar was awesome. And yeah, your calling the NCAA means you've never accused Penn State of anything, simply implied. You must really thing people are stupid.
I THING so.

Nice one. You are probably the snowflake that banned vodka from your site.

Iowa is plenty tough on top, though they do probably excel on their feet and bottom a bit more if I had to say (is there anything wrong with that?). Lee is an absolute animal on top, he reminds me of a smaller Logan Stieber but with tilts in addition to those arm bars. Desanto, Marinelli and Kem (healthy version) are all solid on top with Desanto looking highly improved in the position since coming to Iowa. When nearly half your lineup is solid in a given position can you really make a cart blanch statement that the team struggles there?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT