ADVERTISEMENT

Second Transfer Portal Opens April 15

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2017
What do you feel are Iowa’s biggest needs at this point?

Here is what Athlon Sports thinks:

Iowa: More Help on Offense/Defensive Back
It's no secret coordinator Brian Ferentz has to jumpstart the offense in order to save his job for '24. The Hawkeyes already made a splash in the portal by landing quarterback Cade McNamara (Michigan), tight end Erick All (Michigan) and two transfer receivers. Adding more playmakers at receiver or options along the line to push the starters could be a focal point in this window. The addition of Virginia transfer Nick Jackson checked off a need at linebacker. But coach Kirk Ferentz could still add help in the secondary when the portal opens on April 15.

It's no secret coordinator Brian Ferentz has to jumpstart the offense in order to save his job for '24. The Hawkeyes already made a splash in the portal by landing quarterback Cade McNamara (Michigan), tight end Erick All (Michigan) and two transfer receivers. Adding more playmakers at receiver or options along the line to push the starters could be a focal point in this window. The addition of Virginia transfer Nick Jackson checked off a need at linebacker. But coach Kirk Ferentz could still add help in the secondary when the portal opens on April 15.
We have very few offensive linemen on the roster - so OL is a "pain spot."

We have high quality DBs ... however, we have very little proven depth at corner past the starters.

One of the biggest problems at WR is just having guys injured. Obviously, we all want depth at WR. However, having Bostick and Anderson injured hurt matters. Thus, given the uncertainty in recovery time - bolstering WR depth might be something we need to continue to do.

Of course, all this being done with an eye on scholarship numbers.

We should take all the best players from all the best teams and form a super team so we can win a national championship.

Those other teams can have their players back after the season........

We have high quality DBs ... however, we have very little proven depth at corner past the starters.

One of the biggest problems at WR is just having guys injured. Obviously, we all want depth at WR. However, having Bostick and Anderson injured hurt matters. Thus, given the uncertainty in recovery time - bolstering WR depth might be something we need to continue to do.

Is SP still on scholarship?

Reactions: BAE94
Is SP still on scholarship?
He's a "player-coach". I have heard, from a pretty good source, that the emphasis is on "coach". He's spending a lot of time one on one with Cade. I previously opined that true irony would see Spencer Petras become a kind of QB guru type coach.

I suppose he could play if the three guys on the depth chart were all injured at the same time. Probably just our luck.

Reactions: cmhawks99

Even if all WRs were healthy that's still a serious need.

I seriously hope they focus on OL ...if nothing else, depth seems to be a concern.

I agree that a WR stud would be nice to have in this round of the portal, but doubt they'll be many.

Tried to find but couldn’t…. How many scholarships available?
Also, does anyone think we will lose more guys to the portal? If so. Who?

OL, Receiver, then defense

i hope KF has done his homework and the the NIL account is full. this needs to happen.
Grading Blue Collar GIF by JC Property Professionals

Back up the money truck and go for broke!

OL, Receiver, then defense

i hope KF has done his homework and the the NIL account is full. this needs to happen.
1000% percent, which isn’t even a thing… :)

All the same, of all the failings on offense the last couple years , the offensive line is 100% on Kirk Ferentz and it’s almost unforgivable and for the most part I’m a fan of this Iowa program!

But that is crazy stupid bullshit… Even a horrific Spencer Petras could’ve completed a few more passes with a better, even average offensive line!

Tried to find but couldn’t…. How many scholarships available?
Also, does anyone think we will lose more guys to the portal? If so. Who?

Actually, yes, but in my humble opinion, it will be on the defensive side… I’ve been saying for years, and there are plenty of people that could back me up on this if they wanted to. But Iowa has an embarrassment of riches on defense! Yes, we had some struggles in a couple games, especially Nebraska but let’s remember yes Cooper DeJean is a stud but coming in to the year he wasn’t going to be a cornerback. Jamari Harris is a super stud, the kid, the transfer, Terry ?! & for the life of me I can’t remember his name was very good he just couldn’t stay healthy…

The point of the conversation is Iowa has D backs all over the place, just like they have defensive lineman & seemingly TEs!

We used to be similar to that on the offensive line, but we are nowhere close anymore!!

And that to me, boys, is where the rubber hits the highway!!

Reactions: GHawk
He's a "player-coach". I have heard, from a pretty good source, that the emphasis is on "coach". He's spending a lot of time one on one with Cade. I previously opined that true irony would see Spencer Petras become a kind of QB guru type coach.

I suppose he could play if the three guys on the depth chart were all injured at the same time. Probably just our luck.

Touche on ALL of the above. But with that said, you’re still more fatalistic than I am, I think your right to a degree… In all likelihood, Spencer could become a hell of a quarterback coach we don’t know yet, but he couldn’t play it that way, that is for sure!

Wide receivers need to be the portal priority. Maybe linemen but counting all three freshmen we will still have only 7 schollie receivers, and all young other than Ragaini. I mean, Anderson will have the second most snaps in the group. We probably need 2 but have to get that group up to Bostick + 8 more because we cannot count on Bostick to be on the field. So really should be trying to sign two.

Need to overpay from NIL to get a serviceable WR to transfer to Iowa— that’s how it is now, and Iowa needs to pay more because of how the Hawkeye offense is perceived in 2023.
Back up the Brincks truck to a proven, B10 quality WR. It really is the biggest component this fall as I'm confident the OL will be better. RB is A level talent, TE is A level talent, now is the time, let's go get a WR!

Watch out for TR Fresh Washington, more of RB/WR combo however his film was nuts, excited to see him Sat

It's pretty great. A little tired but every day is exciting. Shouldn't have watched the birth. Went out like a light. Thanks for asking pistachio.
Birth is the weirdest "I want to look away but I can't" thing I've ever witnessed. I told my wife there's no need to see what's going on down there.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Ours were C section. No way was I watching that. If I could watch something like that I would have been a doctor myself.
My bro thought it was cool. "Like gutting a deer". He's director of athletic training at uni so he's used to gross stuff. Not me and definitely not that. Glad they had a stool for me. I really didn't want to be in there.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Back up the Brincks truck to a proven, B10 quality WR. It really is the biggest component this fall as I'm confident the OL will be better. RB is A level talent, TE is A level talent, now is the time, let's go get a WR!

Watch out for TR Fresh Washington, more of RB/WR combo however his film was nuts, excited to see him Sat
OK, this might be destiny, and Uhtred says destiny is all. I've been out in a meeting for the last several hours. One of the guys is 5 digit donor and has always had good information about the football team. He brought up this Washington kid. Then, literally talking to my brother (a/k/a "the Silverback"), another big donor with a lot of insider connections and he brought up the same guy. I must confess I didn't know who it was. I get home and out of the gate I see this post.

All three say the same thing about T Dubya, an absolute flier. Can't even remember his recruiting profile. I'm just guessing but he must have had a good week in practice. Pretty deep at RB, 4 schollie receivers on roster and two of them are injured. Copeland better have poached this guy from Ladell if any of that smoke is actually over a fire.​

Last edited:
Texas A&M had 26 players enter the portal this year. Maybe more this spring. What the h is going on there?

OK, this might be destiny, and Uhtred says destiny is all. I've been out in a meeting for the last several hours. One of the guys is 5 digit donor and has always had good information about the football team. He brought up this Washington kid. Then, literally talking to my brother (a/k/a "the Silverback"), another big donor with a lot of insider connections and he brought up the same guy. I must confess I didn't know who it was. I get home and out of the gate I see this post.

All three say the same thing about T Dubya, an absolute flier. Can't even remember his recruiting profile. I'm just guessing but he must have had a good week in practice. Pretty deep at RB, 4 schollie receivers on roster and two of them are injured. Copeland better have poached this guy from Ladell if any of that smoke is actually over the fire.​
Very cool thanks for sharing Purdue really wanted him and I immediately thought of Rondale Moore watching his film.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT