ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question: Optimism about any Hawkeye sports this coming year?

tweeterhawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2010
Football: New OC but still the same head coach who has the same worn out playbook. Pre-season has Deacon Hill as No. 1 QB and little obvious upgrade to the offensive line. Little pass protection, fewer holes for running backs.

Men’s Basketball: Projections of bottom or near bottom of the expanded B1G are spot on. Beyond Sandfort there’s no there there. Fran needs to plug holes from the portal but seems incapable of doing so.

Women’s Basketball: The leading scorer and engineer of the offense will be gone. Who picks up the slack. Expect Iowa to compete but slide to the middle of the pack.

Wrestling: Meh.

Baseball: Don’t follow.

So what’s to get excited about, folks?

The defense should be outstanding. The offensive scheme seems as though it will change, and maybe drastically, and I’m willing to wait and see if the starting QB doesn’t get injured. They should be pretty good, but sure, there is no reason for optimism.:rolleyes:

Men’s basketball almost always exceeds expectations, then ruins it in March. I wouldn’t count them out, but Lucy will probably pull that football.

Women’s, I don’t know what to tell you if you expect them to be a perennial Final Four team.

Wrestling will undoubtedly be better, but they won’t win it, so that will be a disappointment.

Football: New OC but still the same head coach who has the same worn out playbook. Pre-season has Deacon Hill as No. 1 QB and little obvious upgrade to the offensive line. Little pass protection, fewer holes for running backs.

Men’s Basketball: Projections of bottom or near bottom of the expanded B1G are spot on. Beyond Sandfort there’s no there there. Fran needs to plug holes from the portal but seems incapable of doing so.

Women’s Basketball: The leading scorer and engineer of the offense will be gone. Who picks up the slack. Expect Iowa to compete but slide to the middle of the pack.

We will have a good football team this fall. Basketball, will depend somewhat on portal additions but your comment that after Sandfort there is no there there is ridiculous. We have one of the best young big men in the entire conference and a good shooting guard in Dix. Brock Harding has potential, plus we have two excellent recruits coming in.
Women's Basketball: We have two excellent starters in Affolter and Hannah Stuelke , some good returning contributers like Addie O'Grady, Kylie Fuerbach and Taylor McCabe. We also have a Top 10 recruiting class coming in and possibly a good portal addition , So yeah, we will be pretty darn good.
WRESTLING : Wrestling definitely looks like it will be on the upswing next year.
Baseball: As usual, should be good. There is a lot to be excited about.

With your optimistic outlook on everything, nothing at all. But someone needs to fill that niche so have at it.

• Love
Reactions: cmhawks99
Men’s basketball almost always exceeds expectations, then ruins it in March. I wouldn’t count them out, but Lucy will probably pull that football.

Women’s, I don’t know what to tell you if you expect them to be a perennial Final Four team.

Wrestling will undoubtedly be better, but they won’t win it, so that will be a disappointment.
What?!? When the hell has men’s basketball exceeded expectations?!?!? I expected the same ol’ 13+ dog shit this season and that’s what I got. 15+ losses next season. It’s absolute garbage.

On basketball, there is young talent there for sure, but the same staff is the same staff. Not much for excitement/optimism.

The gals will be fun to watch and still have a few games where we wonder what the deal is. Plus losing who we are losing will obviously be a gaping hole. Still more exciting than Frans.

Football I think dropped a large turd on the lawn for any optimism there was this week with the news of Hill taking most of the reps. That alone will turn folks away and hang heads.

Wrestling is a big disappointment but is what it is.

Baseball can’t hold leads.

Reactions: intrepodor

If, and this is a big if, the quarterback situation gets figured out, namely a serviceable quarterback transfers in to backup Cade or start if Cade can’t go, then I think football could be pretty good. The offense is going to get better simply by virtue of Brian not running it. I also am not buying the theory Kirk is purposely trying to tank the offense or that he’s going to completely shackle TL. Yes, Kirk will still believe what he does, like Deacon Hill is the best option at quarterback right now, but, again, Tim Lester is at least competent and will actually coach the quarterbacks—something Brian couldn’t begin to do.

So, yes, at the very least, the offense won’t be as ****ed up as a screen door on a submarine or a hooker with dysentery. Plus, the defense should be lights out again, especially if the offense can actually sustain some drives and keep them off the field.

If that happens, the Iowa football team will be pretty good.

Men’s basketball is going nowhere with Fran and doesn’t have the NIL support.

I don’t know about the other sports, but I’m guessing Lisa Bluder will continue to put out good teams. Obviously not at the level they were at with Caitlin Clark, but it seems likely, especially with the recruits I hear they are landing, that the women’s program will continue to be good.

Hope springs eternal. I’m concerned that NIL will continue to be a weak point for our AD programs moving forward as we slip further behind teams not only in our conference but also nationally.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
What?!? When the hell has men’s basketball exceeded expectations?!?!? I expected the same ol’ 13+ dog shit this season and that’s what I got. 15+ losses next season. It’s absolute garbage.
It seems nearly every year they are expected to be a bottom half team in the B1G. Nearly every year they are a top half team.

I suspect their post season failure clouds what they do in the regular season. It is almost always better than expected.

They exceeded expectations in 23-24, but it sure doesn’t feel like it, does it?

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Not to beat a dead horse but of Proctor would have stayed and moved Dunker to left guard that would have been neat. But alas I see nothing exciting next year or any time soon.

If it weren't for the new OC and the excitement of the new B1G (Edit - and expanded CFP), this would probably be the least excited I've been about an upcoming football season since '00; as it is I'd say maybe since the '12-14 period. That is truly amazing, considering how good our defense is and the fact that we're coming off a 10-win season. It's just unreal how unfun KF has made Iowa football overall. But, like most of us, I'll be at Kinnick on game days and away games will be must see TV. It's just part of who I am.

Last edited:
So you googled “CNN” and landed here ? Better luck next time… if you don’t care, why bother?
What? The question was:

Optimism about any Hawkeye sports this coming year?​

I responded and all you could do is not respond to op's question and make some snarky reply that makes zero sense. Good luck improving your reading comprehension.

This may be the season the wheels fall off the program.
Yeah, while there's certainly reason for hope with the right amount of reserved expectations sprinkled in, I don't think people realize just how much most of our sports are teetering on falling off the map within the next few years if things don't change..................

I won't speak to sports like track and golf, etc, as they have pretty much been what they are for decades.

The only sports that are really in a healthy place right now are the big 4 women's sports at Iowa:

Basketball, wrestling, field hockey and soccer

All 4 are competitive and have won numerous championships or made deep runs in the NCAA Tournament in recent years and show no signs of slowing down.

Wrestling- just won the national championship and are only getting started

Basketball- will take a step back this year because apparently nobody wants to transfer to play for Iowa @shikreto who I am certain has me on ignore at this point...... ;)
But we have already seen and will continue to see the effects of Caitlin Clark bringing an uptick in recruiting for Iowa. It's just gonna take some time for these next few classes to arrive and develop.

Field hockey- consistently among the tops in the B10 and any given year, if things fall together, they can make a run to the Final Four.

Soccer- have seen a massive uptick in recent years and will continue to be competitive in the Big Ten for the next several years.
@Menace Sockeyes would have to speak more to that, though.

As for the men's sports, most of them will still be competitive for their respective place within the hierarchy of each sport, but for most fans at this point, it's no different than perpetually circling the drains.

Football is in a more precarious position than people realize. 2024 is gonna be a challenging schedule, and while we have a very good, veteran group returning, staying healthy is a massive key to prevent the wheels from completely falling off.

But after this year is when things could get scary. We lose a F**K ton of seniors from 2024 and Kirk (and consequently Phil) aren't gonna be around for much longer. So we will be going through the growing pains of a coaching change in the garbage new landscape of the expanded B10 and CFB sooner than later.............

Men's basketball is becoming about as much of a punchline as Brian Ferentz's offense were. No young black men who are high level D1 basketball players want to come play for Iowa, at least while Fran McCaffrey is still here, and that's a problem. Fran is not long for staying in Iowa City though, so we could be seeing changes again sooner than later.

In keeping with the changes theme, Tom Brands' time at Iowa may be coming to a close as well if Iowa continues to spin its tires on the national scene, being a perennial second fiddle to Penn State with the occasional face plant like this past year...........

While on the surface, finishing 2nd every year seems nice.......wrestling fans are getting more and more fed up with it each year, and the ones making excuses for Tom are getting fewer and far between.

I also had a nice write-up on baseball and the sh** show that's going to ensue once the Pac 12 schools arrive in the Fall, but for whatever reason the post decided to not go through and cut out everything I had written about baseball, so I say f*** it, this will be good enough for now........... 🫠

What? The question was:

Optimism about any Hawkeye sports this coming year?​

I responded and all you could do is not respond to op's question and make some snarky reply that makes zero sense. Good luck improving your reading comprehension.
My error- forgot to quote response above that he/she was not a Hawkeye fan and did not follows sports.

Women's hoops will slide much harder than you think. Book it.
I agree with you. I’ve seen a lot of posters believing that the women’s basketball program is now among the elite programs due to the CC effect. They are delusional. We were lucky to have had a generational talent on our roster. There is no doubt in my mind we will come back down to earth and be what we were pre CC. Also, and no offense to the women, but I could not care less about women’s basketball. Sorry, not sorry.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Will they slide probably? Not a bunch, They have great incoming class and a GOOD coach. To your post... You're a GD genius Gump!!
lol, we had back to back NC game appearances. We will slide considerably from that. And let’s be honest, to lose two years in a row with CC on the roster is a complete failure. No sugar coating that.

Fran just stated that Tony Perkins' NIL value was $500k. Wrap your head around that. I would have expected $100k or less.

lol, we had back to back NC game appearances. We will slide considerably from that. And let’s be honest, to lose two years in a row with CC on the roster is a complete failure. No sugar coating that.
You must be a really happy person! How many programs would love to go Back to back NC games? They showed up better than football in B1G CC last two tries.

If it weren't for the new OC and the excitement of the new B1G, this would probably be the least excited I've been about an upcoming football season since '00; as it is I'd say maybe since the '12-14 period. That is truly amazing, considering how good our defense is and the fact that we're coming off a 10-win season. It's just unreal how unfun KF has made Iowa football overall. But, like most of us, I'll be at Kinnick on game days and away games will be must see TV. It's just part of who I am.
every week it was listening to how Iowa and Kirk just don’t care about offense. They know they’re dead last. They know they don’t score. They just do what they do and win with defense and sheer madness

Then seeing stats that defy all logic and reason. Like 4 series of offense and 3 total yards.
Six straight 3&outs
2 yards for an entire half

I believe Kirk has beaten the fun out of the offense that they gave Stockholm syndrome. They admire his “awww shucks we suck” and it’s used to rally the players against all the negativity from fans and press. Yet it was him and his son that forced them into the very crap

Reactions: Randall Stanhope
You must be a really happy person! How many programs would love to go Back to back NC games? They showed up better than football in B1G CC last two tries.
I’m a very content person. Sports has nothing to do with my level of happiness. Why don’t you ask a Bills fan how they feel about going to 4 straight super bowls and losing lol.

Typical --says" any" then proceeds to talk about just a few.

Reactions: savage84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT