ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Wallace the next head coach?

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
A lot of praise has been heaped on Special Teams Coordinator Levar Woods, and deservedly so. He has helped develop special teams that consistently rank highly in national statistics. Iowa’s special teams have been responsible for more wins than I can count. He, more than any assistant coach on Iowa, has been talked about as the preferred successor for the time that Kirk hangs it up. But what about Seth Wallace? He is the co-defensive coordinator of one of the top college defenses in the country. He is responsible for annually developing All-Big Ten and All-American linebackers, including last year’s Butkus Award winner. He’s been a regular member of the staff since 2014 and has worked under the tutelage of Kirk and defensive savant Phil Parker. To hear him talk, you can sense his breadth of knowledge and his passion for the game and for developing successful players. I think he deserves the opportunity.

I agree... he would be my #2 choice behind Brian Ferentz.
but I would prefer Wallace took over for Phil Parker as the D Coordinator when Phil and Kirk retire in 10+ years.

right now.. I'm just happy he is on the staff... I completely agree.. he's one of those guys that would be a very good Head Coach.

but I would prefer Wallace took over for Phil Parker as the D Coordinator when Phil and Kirk retire in 10+ years.

right now.. I'm just happy he is on the staff... I completely agree.. he's one of those guys that would be a very good Head Coach.
Nepali What You Mean GIF by Satish Gaire

A lot of praise has been heaped on Special Teams Coordinator Levar Woods, and deservedly so. He has helped develop special teams that consistently rank highly in national statistics. Iowa’s special teams have been responsible for more wins than I can count. He, more than any assistant coach on Iowa, has been talked about as the preferred successor for the time that Kirk hangs it up. But what about Seth Wallace? He is the co-defensive coordinator of one of the top college defenses in the country. He is responsible for annually developing All-Big Ten and All-American linebackers, including last year’s Butkus Award winner. He’s been a regular member of the staff since 2014 and has worked under the tutelage of Kirk and defensive savant Phil Parker. To hear him talk, you can sense his breadth of knowledge and his passion for the game and for developing successful players. I think he deserves the opportunity.
Levar has the NFL cred also. Knows what it takes and probably still has connections like Kirk does.

After the events of the last 3 or 4 years. I'd say its highly unlikely that BF will EVER be the head coach at Iowa, especially with Barta hitting the door. Now if Iowa were to win the B1G, (the whole thing, not the west), and at least play for a natty, AND we have a top 20 to 30 offense for a couple of years, then maybe his name goes back in the hat. Barring ALL of that happening I doubt the next AD if its Goetz or whomever, is going to hook their wagon to the Ferentz family train.....

Wasn't he part of the racial stuff along with BF?, or was his "issue" something to do with razzing/degrading a few players?
Wallace was the one Kallenberger, who was diagnosed with ADHD, said referred to him as "Simple Jack" and openly mocked him by calling him stupid regularly. I'd hope we could do better for our next HC than a guy who makes fun of student-athletes for having diagnosed learning disabilities.

100% not an actual fan of Iowa Football.

There isn't a single high school in Iowa that would hire BF as a HC, let alone a D1 program.

R u kidding me? You honestly believe that? Or should I say, if you honestly believe that, then dude, your opinion is pretty much meaningless from here forward.

And I am no Brian F apologist even my nemesis’ on here would back me up on that for the most part. But have you seen the level of high school coaching? Some of it is absolutely Heinous.

You’re just being dramatic!

As an example, Bob Cummings left Ohio as a legendary high school coach came to Iowa and went 13–27 and then went back to Ohio and kicked ass again!

Dumb comment!

Wallace was the one Kallenberger, who was diagnosed with ADHD, said referred to him as "Simple Jack" and openly mocked him by calling him stupid regularly. I'd hope we could do better for our next HC than a guy who makes fun of student-athletes for having diagnosed learning disabilities.

Here’s the deal, and if nothing else, I would hope this is what people remember about me…

I’ve committed so many mistakes, so many sins & said so many shitty things in my life that I don’t spend too much time placing judgment on other people…

Yes, it was a shitty thing for Seth Wallace to do but I would literally be shocked. If not most every single person on this board hasn’t done some similarly shitty things. This just happened to be publicized. Thank God my mistakes have not been publicized nationally!!

PS… I’m not challenging you by the way I think you’re a pretty solid poster but I will add who the hell doesn’t have ADHD right now?!

The amount of technology and distractions in the world. It’s amazing any of us can stay focused and yes, it’s still was a shitty thing for Seth Wallace to do.

In fact, even though it has no racial connotation, so the rest of the world doesn’t give a shit I think it’s equally as shitty as some of the supposedly racial things that happened!

But honestly, Ive said a lot of dumb shit in my life!

R u kidding me? You honestly believe that? Or should I say, if you honestly believe that, then dude, your opinion is pretty much meaningless from here forward.

And I am no Brian F apologist even my nemesis’ on here would back me up on that for the most part. But have you seen the level of high school coaching? Some of it is absolutely Heinous.

As an example, Bob Cummings left Ohio as a legendary high school coach came to Iowa and went 13–27 and then went back to Ohio and kicked ass again!

Dumb comment!
Potential PR nightmare...for any school/team..NFL/college/high school/Juco/prep school/CFL/USFL/AFL...etc...Maybe in a couple of years all the racial stuff will fade away. Fair or unfair,right now...the settlement will be immediately brought up within any admin/front office.

Dumb comment!
I was being somewhat facetious, but you can't deny that he's a bit of a pariah in the coaching world. He probably belongs back in the NFL as a TE coach, but his reputation has been sullied so much (it's not just the offense either) that outside of changing careers altogether, he's got nowhere else to go as a coach.

Here’s the deal, and if nothing else, I would hope this is what people remember about me…

I’ve committed so many mistakes, so many sins & said so many shitty things in my life that I don’t spend too much time placing judgment on other people…

Yes, it was a shitty thing for Seth Wallace to do but I would literally be shocked. If not most every single person on this board hasn’t done some similarly shitty things. This just happened to be publicized. Thank God my mistakes have not been publicized nationally!!
If Wallace did this kind of thing when he was 16, yeah I get it. He wasn't. He was a grown adult, 40+ years old with his own kids when he did this. Giving the kid a degrading nickname, calling him stupid every day, writing his GPA on the whiteboard for the entire defense to see. So you want to give Wallace a pass on all that... why, because his brain wasn't fully developed?

Whatever. Not excusable IMO.

Potential PR nightmare...for any school/team..NFL/college/high school/Juco/prep school/CFL/USFL/AFL...etc...Maybe in a couple of years all the racial stuff will fade away. Fair or unfair,right now...the settlement will be immediately brought up within any admin/front office.

High school coach in Iowa, no way. Your point has merit, but not down to the high school level in most states.

In Fact, I would suggest the storyline would be different. Oh, how the mighty have fallen to a lowly high school coach!

Some of us have a serious hard on for Brian Ferentz, and wish bad things to happen to him. Quite frankly, I like his dad, and Brian literally….I have some backside information that I’m not gonna get into and I do think he’s a whiny, entitled bitch, but his dad screwed him seriously by handcuffing the hell out of him.

He is NOT a bad coach. If I had my way, I would’ve never wanted KOK fired but you guys that are complaining now complained then… Be careful what you wish for boys!

PS… I’m not challenging you by the way I think you’re a pretty solid poster but I will add who the hell doesn’t have ADHD right now?!

The amount of technology and distractions in the world. It’s amazing any of us can stay focused and yes, it’s still was a shitty thing for Seth Wallace to do.

In fact, even though it has no racial connotation, so the rest of the world doesn’t give a shit I think it’s equally as shitty as some of the supposedly racial things that happened!

But honestly, Ive said a lot of dumb shit in my life!
I have too. And done a lot of dumb sh*t. Mostly when I was a teenager. I get the idea of "ah well everyone says something stupid every now and then" but with Wallace and JK it wasn't some one-off comment. It was daily, repeated comments and treatment.

• Haha
Reactions: HypocriteHawkeyes
I was being somewhat facetious, but you can't deny that he's a bit of a pariah in the coaching world. He probably belongs back in the NFL as a TE coach, but his reputation has been sullied so much (it's not just the offense either) that outside of changing careers altogether, he's got nowhere else to go as a coach.

I’m with you one that…I’m also prone to hyperbole at times!

• Haha
High school coach in Iowa, no way. Your point has merit, but not down to the high school level in most states.

In Fact, I would suggest the storyline would be different. Oh, how the mighty have fallen to a lowly high school coach!

Some of us have a serious hard on for Brian Ferentz, and wish bad things to happen to him. Quite frankly, I like his dad, and Brian literally….I have some backside information that I’m not gonna get into and I do think he’s a whiny, entitled bitch, but his dad screwed him seriously by handcuffing the hell out of him.

He is NOT a bad coach. If I had my way, I would’ve never wanted KOK fired but you guys that are complaining now complained then… Be careful what you wish for boys!
Being able to relate to potential players and current players without being a complete and total douchebag is part of being a "coach".... My hope is he has finally learned a valuable lesson by being forced to take a paycut and maybe that humiliation will be enough for him to maybe tone down his attitude.
I agree, that he is not terrible at the X and O part of things. He would be a solid position coach based simply on that fact. With his well earned and well known rep...time will tell where he ends up. I don't want him to fail, that means a less of a chance at an Iowa victory. Plus, if he strings together 2-3 solid years on the field and off of it, someone might be willing to take a chance on him and he can leave. Win-win, for everyone involved.

I have too. And done a lot of dumb sh*t. Mostly when I was a teenager. I get the idea of "ah well everyone says something stupid every now and then" but with Wallace and JK it wasn't some one-off comment. It was daily, repeated comments and treatment.

Ok, I’ll give you that & I would hope eventually something would kick into his brain and say hey, you’re being a dick. I do know that happens with me.

You may have even seen it happen on here because prick that I can be, I care a lot about how I come off and whether I’m lifting people up, but keep in mind it’s a daily battle for me. I’d love to tell you I quit saying stupid shit 10 years ago, but that would be a lie..!

Get my point…. maybe you don’t say or do stupid shit anymore and no I’m not being condescending, but I care deeply for humanity and I understand humanity.

The good and the bad, I really do. At least it’s failings, and you’re gonna probably find this stupid, but every time there is a mass shooting in the world. My immediate thought is what in the hell happened to this guy or woman that sent him off the deep end to shoot five, 10, 20 people.

To me, the biggest problem with the world is the people that stand in righteous indignation and I am a child of the Lord and many of my fellow brethren, are part of the problem.

Just my opinion…But in short, I can deal with your sin and your failures, but not your isolated, righteous bullshit!

And yes, I understand. There are plenty of unrepentant people that’s a whole different deal!

Last edited:
Being able to relate to potential players and current players without being a complete and total douchebag is part of being a "coach".... My hope is he has finally learned a valuable lesson by being forced to take a paycut and maybe that humiliation will be enough for him to maybe tone down his attitude.
I agree, that he is not terrible at the X and O part of things. He would be a solid position coach based simply on that fact. With his well earned and well known rep...time will tell where he ends up. I don't want him to fail, that means a less of a chance at an Iowa victory. Plus, if he strings together 2-3 solid years on the field and off of it, someone might be willing to take a chance on him and he can leave. Win-win, for everyone involved.

Good follow up post and I agree, honestly, he really has been an entitled prick, and I shouldn’t say this on a message board, although I already have, I’ve been led to believe it comes from his mother… I guess we’ll see!

• Haha
I admit my idiocy right up front, I’m not quite sure how to ignore him if he hasn’t posted. I apologize if that brandishes me as a complete idiot, but I am most definitely not an IT person!

He is now Hawkeye hypocrite, he is extremely desperate….I’m telling you he is scary!

• Haha

I hope you know enough about me to know I love the humor and wit, but I do have to ask, you do realize in general the things that have irritated the hell of out of me hasn’t been geez….”I wish Brian Ferentz was better.””

It’s been a lot more definitive than that… Life is full of nuances and you could easily make the case. His dad put him in a shit ball position even though he’s an entitled prick!

He handcuffed KOK ( you do know KOK won a D3 national championship with the spread, right) he handcuffed GD & he has handcuffed his son!

KF did BF no favors by hiring him, and then placing him in a system that constrained what he wanted to do!

• Haha
Certainly the Jack Kallenberger episode is a blemish on Seth's record ... but not a damning one. Life is full of learning moments ... and that was one for him.

I imagine that Seth will develop into a fine head coach some day ... if Iowa remains a place where promotions mainly occur internally ... I see him someday becoming a DC for us.

A few highlights from Seth's resume:
  • Was a graduate assistant under Norm Parker. That's learning from one of the absolute bests right there. The wild thing ... quite a contrast to Phil's style. Norm was all about brilliantly simplifying things for his guys ... so they could then play super-fast.
  • At Seth's prior gig ... he was a DC at Valdosta State. Although at a lower-level ... it's never bad to have the taste of a high-responsibility position.
  • Upon returning to Iowa, while his initial responsibility was as a recruiting coordinator, he also then helped on the DL and then later in the secondary. On the DL, he worked with Morgan ... a great guy to get mentored from. Of course, working in the DB room ... he learned from Phil.
  • By being in the defensive room for 2 of the 3 years that Jim Reid was there ... he also was influenced by Jim. Coach Reid thought so highly of Seth, that he tried to poach him and bring out to Boston College when he left.
  • Obviously, coaching Jack Campbell is one hell of a feather in his cap ... Iowa's first Butkus Award winner. Obviously, Campbell is one hell of a lump of clay to mold ... but still, it's a signature of a fine coach to get him to realize all that potential. We saw similar flashes by the growth of Jacobs too.
If the next Iowa coach is an internal hire ... I'd go with Phil first. No questions asked.

He is now Hawkeye hypocrite, he isn’t Getting enough love so he switched it up. After 22ish years on this board I’ve never seen anyone like this chap….he is mad as hell!

• Haha
Certainly the Jack Kallenberger episode is a blemish on Seth's record ... but not a damning one. Life is full of learning moments ... and that was one for him.

I imagine that Seth will develop into a fine head coach some day ... if Iowa remains a place where promotions mainly occur internally ... I see him someday becoming a DC for us.

A few highlights from Seth's resume:
  • Was a graduate assistant under Norm Parker. That's learning from one of the absolute bests right there. The wild thing ... quite a contrast to Phil's style. Norm was all about brilliantly simplifying things for his guys ... so they could then play super-fast.
  • At Seth's prior gig ... he was a DC at Valdosta State. Although at a lower-level ... it's never bad to have the taste of a high-responsibility position.
  • Upon returning to Iowa, while his initial responsibility was as a recruiting coordinator, he also then helped on the DL and then later in the secondary. On the DL, he worked with Morgan ... a great guy to get mentored from. Of course, working in the DB room ... he learned from Phil.
  • By being in the defensive room for 2 of the 3 years that Jim Reid was there ... he also was influenced by Jim. Coach Reid thought so highly of Seth, that he tried to poach him and bring out to Boston College when he left.
  • Obviously, coaching Jack Campbell is one hell of a feather in his cap ... Iowa's first Butkus Award winner. Obviously, Campbell is one hell of a lump of clay to mold ... but still, it's a signature of a fine coach to get him to realize all that potential. We saw similar flashes by the growth of Jacobs too.
If the next Iowa coach is an internal hire ... I'd go with Phil first. No questions asked.
Would Phil even want the job? KF mentioned Phil really wasn't open to taking the DC job when it was initially offered to him. Stated, Phil was "hesitant" to accept it..wanted to stay simply coaching the defensive backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT