ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Wallace the next head coach?

Would Phil even want the job? KF mentioned Phil really wasn't open to taking the DC job when it was initially offered to him. Stated, Phil was "hesitant" to accept it..wanted to stay simply coaching the defensive backfield.
In all frankness ... possibly not. Friends of mine who've been on the Hawkeye cruises and have chatted a lot with him ... and one of the key deals with Phil is that he's a football purist. He just wants to be 100% about football. He likes the scheming and he loves coaching his guys. However, he hates the recruiting side of things (with the exception of when he works with guys at camps/clinics) ... and he doesn't like all the politicking either (the sort of stuff that could/would go along with a head-coaching gig). So yeah ... I can see that.

I agree... he would be my #2 choice behind Brian Ferentz.
but I would prefer Wallace took over for Phil Parker as the D Coordinator when Phil and Kirk retire in 10+ years.

right now.. I'm just happy he is on the staff... I completely agree.. he's one of those guys that would be a very good Head Coach.
I expect Brian Ferentz to be the next Head Coach at Alabama.

Seth won't be next HC at Iowa. PP isn't going any where anytime soon and next step I'm sure for Seth is to follow in PP's footsteps and wait his time here at Iowa or go somewhere else to be a DC. The knock against Woods is he's "only a Special teams coach" which I disagree with. But with Wood's stellar rep if they go in house he's your guy. No disrespect to Seth but he's only been a position coach on D1 level. Iowa isn't making a huge jump like that. To play devils advocate with the argument for Seth you could make same case if not better for Bell as he's been a fantastic recruiter for us and a players coach. Lastly with the walking PR nightmare Barta retiring I think we can put to rest the idea of BF ever becoming HC.

• Haha
Reactions: HypocriteHawkeyes
Wallace was the one Kallenberger, who was diagnosed with ADHD, said referred to him as "Simple Jack" and openly mocked him by calling him stupid regularly. I'd hope we could do better for our next HC than a guy who makes fun of student-athletes for having diagnosed learning disabilities.
Wallace is an ass and should have been demoted for that incident.

Wallace is an ass and should have been demoted for that incident.
I don't know about demotion ... but you don't think that he didn't experience some form of formal reprimand (that is on his record)?

The thing about an event like that is that they look for a pattern of behavior too. From what I remember hearing internally ... Jack Kallenberger was REALLY DUMB ... the name-calling, while inappropriate, was clearly initiated as a selective pressure so that Jack would take more accountability to learn the D and get down his positional responsibilities.

I'm not condoning it ... but constantly berating players who are perceived as not doing their jobs is VERY common in football culture.

I don't know about demotion ... but you don't think that he didn't experience some form of formal reprimand (that is on his record)?

The thing about an event like that is that they look for a pattern of behavior too. From what I remember hearing internally ... Jack Kallenberger was REALLY DUMB ... the name-calling, while inappropriate, was clearly initiated as a selective pressure so that Jack would take more accountability to learn the D and get down his positional responsibilities.

I'm not condoning it ... but constantly berating players who are perceived as not doing their jobs is VERY common in football culture.
Lol, yes you are.

Lol, yes you are.
Not really ... at a lot of places, the culture of football can be pretty toxic. Lots of toxic masculinity, etc. When you're in the weight room ... you're often goaded on by the strength staff to continue to improve your performances. The language that is often used in weight rooms might even make a pirate blush.

Even Phil Parker, who is known as a terrific coach ... a guy who pushes his guys to be their very best ... a guy who truly loves his players ... he's known as a bad-ass yeller.

Does Iowa have that sort of toxic culture? Overall, I highly doubt it. Given that the program continues to garner refrains about the family environment it fosters ... I doubt that the program maintains any sort of toxic culture. Furthermore, I'd surmise Seth's actions were not representative of how he generally treats or interacts with his players.

Anyhow, in what way did I condone any such behavior?

Not really ... at a lot of places, the culture of football can be pretty toxic. Lots of toxic masculinity, etc. When you're in the weight room ... you're often goaded on by the strength staff to continue to improve your performances. The language that is often used in weight rooms might even make a pirate blush.

Even Phil Parker, who is known as a terrific coach ... a guy who pushes his guys to be their very best ... a guy who truly loves his players ... he's known as a bad-ass yeller.

Does Iowa have that sort of toxic culture? Overall, I highly doubt it. Given that the program continues to garner refrains about the family environment it fosters ... I doubt that the program maintains any sort of toxic culture. Furthermore, I'd surmise Seth's actions were not representative of how he generally treats or interacts with his players.

Anyhow, in what way did I condone any such behavior?
Well you basically expressed excuse A, excuse B, excuse C... for said behavior. Then said you don't condone it. That's a pretty tried and true way of trying to have it both ways... condoning the behavior but then closing with "but I don't condone it."

Also, you simplifying a kid who struggles with very real learning disabilities as just being "REALLY DUMB" only further backs up what Wallace did. Not to mention is just a stupid and gross thing to say.

Well you basically expressed excuse A, excuse B, excuse C... for said behavior. Then said you don't condone it. That's a pretty tried and true way of trying to have it both ways... condoning the behavior but then closing with "but I don't condone it."

Also, you simplifying a kid who struggles with very real learning disabilities as just being "REALLY DUMB" only further backs up what Wallace did. Not to mention is just a stupid and gross thing to say.
If you want to be honest, how many who played high school football have been called worse for messing up in practice ? I know I have. IF we scrutinized every word Levar has ever said in practice to a player do you think we could come up with something just as objectionable ? I’m sure we could.

these coaches aren’t perfect saints, theyare just flawed humans like every teacher or coach. Cancel culture is hypocrisy.

If you want to be honest, how many who played high school football have been called worse for messing up in practice ? I know I have. IF we scrutinized every word Levar has ever said in practice to a player do you think we could come up with something just as objectionable ? I’m sure we could.

these coaches aren’t perfect saints, theyare just flawed humans like every teacher or coach. Cancel culture is hypocrisy.
Not really the point. Of course all of us had coaches that treated us like shit at times. And like @ghostOfHomer777 said football at this level is not for the faint of heart. And I’m not saying that it would disqualify Wallace as a head coach. But it’s clearly shitty how he treated a guy who did have somewhat of a learning disability. And most people don’t truly get better being bullied. I think we all know that. And yes Homer, you are kind of making excuses for him treating Kallenberger like shit.

Not really the point. Of course all of us had coaches that treated us like shit at times. And like @ghostOfHomer777 said football at this level is not for the faint of heart. And I’m not saying that it would disqualify Wallace as a head coach. But it’s clearly shitty how he treated a guy who did have somewhat of a learning disability. And most people don’t truly get better being bullied. I think we all know that. And yes Homer, you are kind of making excuses for him treating Kallenberger like shit.
No getting called dumb for screwing up a play in practice is pretty damn routine. What’s the context and how many times did he say it ? has Levar ever ripped a guy unfairly ? Damn right he has. That’s football, that’s life.

to say other wise is just PC gotcha hypocrisy

As an educator, the crutch of the term "learning disability" is grossly overused. The brain is a fascinating and tremendous thing ... often it just requires individuals to approach things in different ways to be successful. For some folks, like a nephew of mine who had a long-term, undiagnosed encephalitis condition ... the brain has been so damaged, that he's fundamentally limited on what he can do.

As for your initial comment, you mention 3 excuses. First off ... I initially indicated that Wallace likely was already punished. This was in direct response to someone who thought that he should have been demoted. The implication of my comment was essentially ... how do people actually know that he didn't already experience any sort of internal demotion/punishment? Anyhow, how is that an excuse?

The second comment ... was highlighting context. The very livelihood of a coach is reliant on his players demonstrating improvement to the point where it helps you win games. If you lose ... then you can lose your job. We don't know how patiently Seth had been with the guy beforehand ... however, I think that many of us have said snarky and/or mean things to someone when we're frustrated with someone. Hell ... we might even be cruel enough to think that what we said is funny/clever ... particularly when it's propped up by a pop-culture meme. That's the sort of thing that can lead mean nicknames to stick. Anyhow, with that second comment ... I still emphasized that such name-calling was inappropriate. Just because I indicated that the name-calling may have not been without cause ... I didn't indicate that the ends justified the means.

Lastly, my final comment was simply remarking about a common state in the culture of football. I have derisive feelings about this culture of football. I wasn't condoning it. However, I find the affronted reaction of some posters equally contemptible. This "bad behavior" is nothing new ... rather than feigning outrage, folks should actually do something to change it.

No getting called dumb for screwing up a play in practice is pretty damn routine. What’s the context and how many times did he say it ? has Levar ever ripped a guy unfairly ? Damn right he has. That’s football, that’s life.

to say other wise is just PC gotcha hypocrisy
Kallenberger was ridden ... by being branded with the nickname "simple Jack" (from Tropic Thunder). The implication certainly is offensive to folks who are neuro-diverse. From that angle, Wallace's comments were certainly insensitive and lacking reflection.

However, I think that folks also need to exercise a little common sense and NOT attempt to read patterns in the cloud where there aren't any. The intent of Wallace pretty clear. The intent was NOT to disparage neuro-diverse folks (even though IT DID) ... but rather, it was more an instance of run-of-the-mill football assholery.

My points was that 1) SURE Wallace did something wrong, 2) he also likely got punished for it, and 3) the intent wasn't nearly as malicious as some folks have made it out to be. I just don't think folks need to be making mountains out of mole-hills. If that is making excuses for Wallace ... then I suppose it is.

basically Agree, but reality of football 7th grade on.....you run the wrong,pattern, hit the wrong hole, miss your assignment on defense, you are going to get ripped

is the coach an insensitive asshole ? Not necessarily. Context. You and I weren’t there. Nature of the game, human nature. Obviously some are playing political correct games here. Coach called me dumb because I messed up in practice, well that’s happened to just about anybody who played football.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Kallenberger was ridden ... by being branded with the nickname "simple Jack" (from Tropic Thunder). The implication certainly is offensive to folks who are neuro-diverse. From that angle, Wallace's comments were certainly insensitive and lacking reflection.

However, I think that folks also need to exercise a little common sense and NOT attempt to read patterns in the cloud where there aren't any. The intent of Wallace pretty clear. The intent was NOT to disparage neuro-diverse folks (even though IT DID) ... but rather, it was more an instance of run-of-the-mill football assholery.

My points was that 1) SURE Wallace did something wrong, 2) he also likely got punished for it, and 3) the intent wasn't nearly as malicious as some folks have made it out to be. I just don't think folks need to be making mountains out of mole-hills. If that is making excuses for Wallace ... then I suppose it is.
Doubt he got any kind of punishment.

• Haha
Doubt he got any kind of punishment.
I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't receive some sort of reprimand that went on his record ... and had to do some of the requisite HR-advocated training.

I wouldn't deny, that it probably amounts to little more than a slap on his wrist. However, the trail of documentation serves a purpose should he repeat any such behavior. Future reprimands can escalate in severity (as they should).

As an educator, the crutch of the term "learning disability" is grossly overused. The brain is a fascinating and tremendous thing ... often it just requires individuals to approach things in different ways to be successful. For some folks, like a nephew of mine who had a long-term, undiagnosed encephalitis condition ... the brain has been so damaged, that he's fundamentally limited on what he can do.

As for your initial comment, you mention 3 excuses. First off ... I initially indicated that Wallace likely was already punished. This was in direct response to someone who thought that he should have been demoted. The implication of my comment was essentially ... how do people actually know that he didn't already experience any sort of internal demotion/punishment? Anyhow, how is that an excuse?

The second comment ... was highlighting context. The very livelihood of a coach is reliant on his players demonstrating improvement to the point where it helps you win games. If you lose ... then you can lose your job. We don't know how patiently Seth had been with the guy beforehand ... however, I think that many of us have said snarky and/or mean things to someone when we're frustrated with someone. Hell ... we might even be cruel enough to think that what we said is funny/clever ... particularly when it's propped up by a pop-culture meme. That's the sort of thing that can lead mean nicknames to stick. Anyhow, with that second comment ... I still emphasized that such name-calling was inappropriate. Just because I indicated that the name-calling may have not been without cause ... I didn't indicate that the ends justified the means.

Lastly, my final comment was simply remarking about a common state in the culture of football. I have derisive feelings about this culture of football. I wasn't condoning it. However, I find the affronted reaction of some posters equally contemptible. This "bad behavior" is nothing new ... rather than feigning outrage, folks should actually do something to change it.
I guess it's a little jarring to me to hear someone who calls himself an educator refer to JK as "REALLY DUMB".

As a parent of kids who've dealt with ADHD and anxiety, I can tell you firsthand it's not a "crutch." Maybe you're right and there are more accurate ways to label it other than "learning disability." But I can tell you it's 100% real, it absolutely impacts the classroom/learning experience, and just because a kid has serious struggles with being able to focus in a learning atmosphere doesn't render him "REALLY DUMB".

I guess it's a little jarring to me to hear someone who calls himself an educator refer to JK as "REALLY DUMB".

As a parent of kids who've dealt with ADHD and anxiety, I can tell you firsthand it's not a "crutch." Maybe you're right and there are more accurate ways to label it other than "learning disability." But I can tell you it's 100% real, it absolutely impacts the classroom/learning experience, and just because a kid has serious struggles with being able to focus in a learning atmosphere doesn't render him "REALLY DUMB".

I’m going to attack this differently, I’m about as high strung as they come & I raised 6 kids with a mother who also, if nothing else is as intense as hell.

I assure you if I was 12 instead of 53 I’d most assuredly be diagnosed with ADHD, and most of my kids would be. Because at least 4 of them take medication as do I and my wife I wish would! But of course there is nothing wrong with her and yes I’m bitter….😊

With that said, Seth Wallace was a prickl!!! And should be admonished because what he did was berating!

But from a guy who at least battles anxiety, self doubt And likely ADHD….it’s a real deal but you can’t allow it to have the power.

It’s not the same as Autusm and people now over use it. Do you know how man 60 years old I run into that blame ADHA?!

The real deep moral of the story is, mental health, mental difficulties is WILDLY Underreported, and we all struggle with it….quit labeling it and embrace the struggle!!

• Haha
Hope we do a real deep search. I’m rooting for the best candidate. If the best candidate is on staff I’m cool with that. If not then you have to look at your assistants at that point and be thinking “who is at danger of leaving”.

Certainly the new AD will be making the biggest hire they will probably ever make. The pressure will be fairly intense. I love what LeVar brings to the table. Does he have enough experience to take on the job?? Don’t know…not smart enough to know that but man I just feel like he is a winner. I do hope the next coach is good enough to be there 20 years. While sometimes we get frustrated, stability is our friend. If we can get the stability and win an average of 10 a year you have a home run. Lastly…..no 10 year deals please. Give the coach a runway to not have issues recruiting but don’t go nuts after a couple of good seasons.

It will be an interesting time whenever it happens.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I see none of you guys have ever been in army boot camp and having a drill sergeant in your face a lot of time.
I have, so, I get it. Many players can be a bit soft and sensitive and unfortunately a coach may not pick up how to ridicule certain players until it’s too late.

Not an easy job for Wallace and company.

Reactions: littlez
I’m going to attack this differently, I’m about as high strung as they come & I raised 6 kids with a mother who also, if nothing else is as intense as hell.

I assure you if I was 12 instead of 53 I’d most assuredly be diagnosed with ADHD, and most of my kids would be. Because at least 4 of them take medication as do I and my wife I wish would! But of course there is nothing wrong with her and yes I’m bitter….😊

With that said, Seth Wallace was a prickl!!! And should be admonished because what he did was berating!

But from a guy who at least battles anxiety, self doubt And likely ADHD….it’s a real deal but you can’t allow it to have the power.

It’s not the same as Autusm and people now over use it. Do you know how man 60 years old I run into that blame ADHA?!

The real deep moral of the story is, mental health, mental difficulties is WILDLY Underreported, and we all struggle with it….quit labeling it and embrace the struggle!!
What do you mean quit labeling it? You just said mental health and mental difficulties are wildly under reported but then you want us to quit labeling it. You’re rambling brother.

🧐

Aside from Phil, the best potential candidate is not in house. I’d prefer they go through a complete interview process with an external candidates, even with Phil. I think Levar would be worthy of an interview as well, but he would have to be considered a longshot.
Just curious, who do you think the best candidate not with the program currently is? In house, i think it's LeVar and no one else is even close. Phil is turning 60 this year, has given zero inclination he WANTS to be a HC, or even a DC elsewhere. Seth maybe, but I'd like to see him be a coordinator first.
Being able to relate to potential players and current players without being a complete and total douchebag is part of being a "coach".... My hope is he has finally learned a valuable lesson by being forced to take a paycut and maybe that humiliation will be enough for him to maybe tone down his attitude.
I agree, that he is not terrible at the X and O part of things. He would be a solid position coach based simply on that fact. With his well earned and well known rep...time will tell where he ends up. I don't want him to fail, that means a less of a chance at an Iowa victory. Plus, if he strings together 2-3 solid years on the field and off of it, someone might be willing to take a chance on him and he can leave. Win-win, for everyone involved.

IF BF truly has head coaching ambitions, he'd have been well served to break his teeth as a coordinator elsewhere as opposed to doing so for his dad first. All other faults aside, idk that we've really, consistently seen him run the offense HE wants to run, due in large part to being constrained by directions coming from Kirk.

• Wow
I hope you know enough about me to know I love the humor and wit, but I do have to ask, you do realize in general the things that have irritated the hell of out of me hasn’t been geez….”I wish Brian Ferentz was better.””

It’s been a lot more definitive than that… Life is full of nuances and you could easily make the case. His dad put him in a shit ball position even though he’s an entitled prick!

He handcuffed KOK ( you do know KOK won a D3 national championship with the spread, right) he handcuffed GD & he has handcuffed his son!

KF did BF no favors by hiring him, and then placing him in a system that constrained what he wanted to do!
Tomorrow is Sunday. Which church do you preach in. I need saved and just might show up:) I'll bring along the Ferentz family so you can help ALL of them...

I know folks who have PhDs who had ADHD, dyslexia, etc.

The comment isn't that it's not real ... it's just a myth that such a factor implies that an individual cannot achieve, or achieve at a high level.

Also, we live in overmedication-nation. So the diagnosis of things like ADHD are far from exact science. Folks want a diagnosis so that they can then can start shoveling pills to these kids. This isn't to say that some form of medication isn't (or may not be) necessary. However, there are a lot of strategies that can also complement such things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT