ADVERTISEMENT

Seydou Traore Commits to IOWA

Again, while it seems that most on this board have Fran fatigue, he is finally putting together a roster of guys that are athletes. While I'm still very concerned about pt guard, the rest of the roster looks pretty good. Give him credit at least for this.
Agree. This is a win for Fran and Iowa basketball. Trade Traore for either PM or Krikke, move in the right direction. If he can somehow play the 3 spot, now you have really won the trade. People complaining about this move just need something to bitch about and/or just gunning for Fran.

Could be one of our most athletic rosters ever?
star trek sarcastic laugh GIF

I think we're gonna like the toughness & athleticism of these 3:

6'8" PF Chris Tadjo
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele
6’7” PF Seydou Traore
Dix also brings it on both ends every game. Not the quickest guard, but his length and effort make up for it on the defensive end. A few players have tried to post him up, but didn't try a second time. I hope Freeman is in the weight room regularly, because he could become even better with some added muscle.

Yes, sir. Seydou Traore was born in New York, NY; not sure, however, where his parents (Abraham Traore & Mariam Sylla) are originally from. I am going to guess West Africa.

Incoming freshman Nogbou Chris Tadjo was born in Montreal Canada but I believe his parents are from Ivory Coast (southern West Africa).

Sophomore Ladji Dembele is originally from Mali in West Africa.

If these West African players find success at Iowa, that could be a very valuable recruiting pipeline for Iowa for years to come.

Speaking of those West Africa roots, Ladji is back home and helping lead the ASAB basketball camp.

And he's handing out Iowa gear, too!

GNtWSj2X0AA5FMP

GNtWSj3W8AEMoF_

GNtWSj4XgAAVhAb

GNtWSj1W0AEwKOz

And these 5 coming off the bench?

6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" F Cooper Koch
6'7" F Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

Other 2 scholarship players looking for PT:
6'11" C Riley Mulvey
6'9" F/C Even Brauns
I had no idea Pryce was 6’7, wow. What are everyone’s thoughts on him? Tia

Starting lineup at least based on experience
Thelwell
Dix
Sandafort
Traore
Freeman
If Payton returns, I think 3 players are a lock to start--Payton, Freeman, and Dix. I don't think any of us, even Fran, can predict the other two positions without some competition in practice. I think Harding and Thelwell both will play at least 20 min, with Thelwell maybe playing some at SG and PG. I think Dembele will play both C and PF. Traore, Tadjo, and Koch are 4s, with maybe some minutes at 3, especially if Payton doesn't return. Pryce is a 3, who might play some back up minutes at 2. Who knows how or if the two back up centers fit in. Should be some intense competition in practice, which will only make the team better.

If Payton returns, I think 3 players are a lock to start--Payton, Freeman, and Dix. I don't think any of us, even Fran, can predict the other two positions without some competition in practice. I think Harding and Thelwell both will play at least 20 min, with Thelwell maybe playing some at SG and PG. I think Dembele will play both C and PF. Traore, Tadjo, and Koch are 4s, with maybe some minutes at 3, especially if Payton doesn't return. Pryce is a 3, who might play some back up minutes at 2. Who knows how or if the two back up centers fit in. Should be some intense competition in practice, which will only make the team better.
Will be shocked if Thelwell doesn't also start. Why else would he come to Iowa if not to be the starting PG?

My way too early depth chart:

1 - Thelwell, Harding
2 - Dix, Pryce S
3 - Payton S, Koch, Traore
4 - Dembele, Tadjo
5 - Freeman, Brauns, Mulvey

I sure wish we had another guard because we're an injury away from being in deep trouble. Solid athleticism and ball handling at the 1-4 spots in just about any scenario. Gone are the days of Patrick, Krikke and Freeman on the floor at the same time.

Traore played on the block in the first half with middling results. But then second half he was out on the wing more often (he also looked more comfortable out on the wing against UConn too) and that's where he really started to make hay. He also had to deal with tough matchups against KJ Adams and Hunter Dickinson much of the game. I saw mistakes this game in the first half from him that I didn't see as much of later against UConn. He looks to be a very good free throw shooter so I'd like to think his floor shooting will improve this season under Fran with better looks.

Some timestamps:
8:30-9:15 - Active around the rim getting rebounds and passing
26:20 - Nice entry pass to the block
34:50 - The drive we've all seen
42:40 - Late on a closeout, but then makes up for it by drawing a foul on a cut. Draws another foul off a spin move and hits his free throws
54:35-57:20 - Very active here. Steal and transition bucket with an and 1. Looks for transition again of a defensive rebound. Hits jumper top of the key. Flashes a crisp pass on what should have been a layup. And then later gets another and 1. This sequence is great and what I'd love to see at Iowa.

Last edited:
Slow down speed racer. We won’t surprise anyone. Still have one of the weaker rosters in the league. Still staring down the barrel of 15 total losses and lower division finish in the conference. I’d still rather put my prick in a Veg-O-matic than watch the garbage we keep putting out on the floor year after year.

IMG-0239.gif
Do it!

Do It GIF

And these 5 coming off the bench?

6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" F Cooper Koch
6'7" F Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

Other 2 scholarship players looking for PT:
6'11" C Riley Mulvey
6'9" F/C Even Brauns
Well they're certainly not coming out of the stands or off the street.. They answer to your question is YES. lol

I have hoped that Fran would tap into African recruits to secure the athleticism we need since we struggle to land out of state African- Americans we pursue.
Africans do not usually grow up wanting to go to Mich or IU...we have a fighting chance with these guys.
Hmmm, All these guys were African American from out of state.

Tyler Cook
Joe T.
Uhlis
Bowen
Josh O

Josh O is the only African American of this group I believe. The rest are Americans who happen to be black.

There's actually a great interview with Idris Elba about him being referred to as African American in the US. He's pretty much like "I'm neither African nor American. It's so strange"

Hmmm, All these guys were African American from out of state.

Tyler Cook
Joe T.
Uhlis
Bowen
Josh O
So, what's the point of this post? Iowa must have one of the smaller African American populations in America.

Are you kidding me….i wish all these players called out fans 🤷‍♂️ then we’d really have some fun.

Quite frankly why not…. We get to watch them in a microscope and comment on everything they do… They should be able to do the same to us.
Do I get paid as well as them too?

1. That's not many over a 6-7 year period.
2. None of these guys stuck for 4 years.
3 I think Josh O is African.
4. Let's compare ISU vs Iowa over that stretch in this category.
since we struggle to land out of state African- Americans we pursue.

This is what I was reacting to. I was under the belief that often the term African American is synonymous with the black population. Which I do understand is not actually true. thanks.

And who cares what ISU is doing...

since we struggle to land out of state African- Americans we pursue.

This is what I was reacting to. I was under the belief that often the term African American is synonymous with the black population. Which I do understand is not actually true. thanks.

And who cares what ISU is doing...
Amen on your last sentence!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT