ADVERTISEMENT

Shatel: Modern college football is no country for old coaches — and that may include Kirk Ferentz

Longevity helps and created this the legendary status. 25 years and what has really been legendary about this a career. Drubbing OhioSt at home, once. TCU has even won a Rose Bowl, Kirk hasn't. Gene Cheeseik won a national title ! Kirk hasn't sniffed one.
Shatel is right. It was tolerable before. In today's game, it has become laughable. Imagine playing in the new conference, with basically a walk on secondary. Kirk and Barta are not even taking football seriously. Illin, Minny, Purdue and of course the blue bloods take football very seriously.
End it.

A Shatel cliche is that Nebraska lives rent-free in the minds of Iowa fans. The reverse is true.
Shatel should similarly analyze a UNL coach or AD -- while they have their jobs. How about Alberts' handling of the Frost contract, as in wasting $7.5 mill?
The Omaha-Lincoln media are famous foe ripping UNL coaches -- after they have left. While they have their jobs, those reporters/columnists are as gentle as heel hounds.

Longevity helps and created this the legendary status. 25 years and what has really been legendary about this a career. Drubbing OhioSt at home, once. TCU has even won a Rose Bowl, Kirk hasn't. Gene Cheeseik won a national title ! Kirk hasn't sniffed one.
Shatel is right. It was tolerable before. In today's game, it has become laughable. Imagine playing in the new conference, with basically a walk on secondary. Kirk and Barta are not even taking football seriously. Illin, Minny, Purdue and of course the blue bloods take football very seriously.
End it.
How's Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Miami (FL) doing? Blue bloods. I will give Texas and Oklahoma a pass for this one year, but not next year.

A Shatel cliche is that Nebraska lives rent-free in the minds of Iowa fans. The reverse is true.
Shatel should similarly analyze a UNL coach or AD -- while they have their jobs. How about Alberts' handling of the Frost contract, as in wasting $7.5 mill?
The Omaha-Lincoln media are famous foe ripping UNL coaches -- after they have left. While they have their jobs, those reporters/columnists are as gentle as heel hounds.
They cannot lose their credentials. Same as the Iowa reporters.

How's Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Miami (FL) doing? Blue bloods. I will give Texas and Oklahoma a pass for this one year, but not next year.
Texas A&M is a blue blood?

Did you exclude teams that are doing better after making a coaching change, or, do those not count and go against your narrative?

Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
Texas A&M is a blue blood?

Did you exclude teams that are doing better after making a coaching change, or, do those not count and go against your narrative?
No man, I was hitting on blue bloods that made changes recently and how well they are going. I bet their fans are pleased. Texas A&M had the top rated recruit class in the country. Most would consider them a top tier team for football, yes.

Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
I want to know what "Modern Football" means. The only descriptive criteria in that article was using the portal and NIL. My main problem with that is lets say you use the portal, what do you then do with the extra players on your team? Do you kick them out the door, revoke their scholarship? Then with NIL, how would you feel if you were a player, say like Arland Bruce who signed up to play for Iowa on a scholarship with no NIL guarantee and then you find out that Iowa goes out and pays a receiver out of the portal or in recruiting a million dollars? Its real easy here to completely lose your team and lose everything you stand for.

Now, that methodology may work for a team like Alabama or Ohio State that is much like the NFL in that it is all about "what have you done for me lately?" They can replace talent with talent and have no problem getting it. But that is not Iowa.

So to me all of this "modern football" stuff is bullshit. Did anyone rip Ryan Day last Saturday when they scored their first touchdown on 3rd and goal from the 2 when they lined up with a fullback? Where was all the "the fullback is a dinosaur and has no place in modern football" drivel that we hear all the time. We didn't hear shit because it worked. What also worked for CJ Stroud is play-action. And Stroud didn't take off and run up and down the field either. Football is still all about blocking, passing, running, etc., the basic fundamentals. And no matter if you run the wishbone or the air raid, both can work with enough talent and execution and neither will work without it.

Decent, firm but fair take but coming from Shatel and from living here there is jealously with an axe to grind too. The dislike and disdain along with Iowa envy is very obvious and comes from multiple media members in Omaha, not so much from Lincoln from what I can gather.

That said, the coach he is blasting and raking over the coals has quite a few wins vs. Lil Red and Neb is making its way through a coaching mess and many coaches and wasted $$$ since Kirk took over. I'd wager between buyouts and other payments they were on the hook for about $50 mil since Kirk arrived at Iowa.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Modern football = offense. Almost 7 on 7. The rules protect the offense. Spread Os everywhere, the targeting, to numerous PI calls, to allowing block downfield on pass plays, few holding calls etc. etc.
It is not. Long developing run plays, running play clock to 1 second while playing back peddle D in fear of the big play. Trying to run out the clock, hoping the other team's O make mistakes is long gone. Long gone.

Decent, firm but fair take but coming from Shatel and from living here there is jealously with an axe to grind too. The dislike and disdain along with Iowa envy is very obvious and comes from multiple media members in Omaha, not so much from Lincoln from what I can gather.

That said, the coach he is blasting and raking over the coals has quite a few wins vs. Lil Red and Neb is making its way through a coaching mess and many coaches and wasted $$$ since Kirk took over. I'd wager between buyouts and other payments they were on the hook for about $50 mil since Kirk arrived at Iowa.
Lol they were paying 3 head coaches to win FOUR games a year for 2-3 years. It was like $2M per win. 😆 🤣 😂

Reactions: cigaretteman
Modern football = offense. Almost 7 on 7. The rules protect the offense. Spread Os everywhere, the targeting, to numerous PI calls, to allowing block downfield on pass plays, few holding calls etc. etc.
It is not. Long developing run plays, running play clock to 1 second while playing back peddle D in fear of the big play. Trying to run out the clock, hoping the other team's O make mistakes is long gone. Long gone.
So you saying our defense sucks, lol? I defense still locks other teams down even with the rules favoring offense.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
No because they have high standards. Unlike you and a lot of other Iowa fans where average is accepted and rewarded.
Like Braska fans have high standards. Just keep cycling through coaches. We have 1/3 of the team that is struggling and needs help, not all of the team.

And let's make a trophy to give to those better fans. Complaining on free boards and not attending games, probably not even in the past either. You mean so much to the program.

That is exactly how it works over in Omaha. There is nary a word ever about coaches or how things are run. Once the guy goes, it becomes open season with things that were "widely known." But the first priority is always to protect the program, never be critical when they guy is actually employed. They did with with Pelini, did it with Callahan, did it with Riley and then did it with Frost.

It doesn't make Shatel's any column and more or less true. I would generally agree with what he is saying.

Sad that the OHIO reporter had to call FERENTZ out and not an IOWA reporter:

from article:

After Iowa’s 54-10 loss to Ohio State last Saturday, Cleveland columnist Doug Lesmerises peppered Ferentz with questions about his offense and having his son, Brian, as offensive coordinator.

The questions were pointed but fair. So, too, was the column Lesmerises wrote, calling out Kirk Ferentz and calling for Brian to be fired.

Sad that the OHIO reporter had to call FERENTZ out and not an IOWA reporter:

from article:

After Iowa’s 54-10 loss to Ohio State last Saturday, Cleveland columnist Doug Lesmerises peppered Ferentz with questions about his offense and having his son, Brian, as offensive coordinator.

The questions were pointed but fair. So, too, was the column Lesmerises wrote, calling out Kirk Ferentz and calling for Brian to be fired.
I don't understand what some of these people are wanting and expecting here. Does it really matter that somebody calls out KF? What is the point, do they think that KF doesn't know that the offense is not very good and the obvious obstacle to why this team is losing games? Do they expect KF to say, yeah, BF is going to be fired at the end of the year? If he did that he may as well fire him now. And what good is that going to do? If for nothing else it means that somebody else on the staff has to handle those duties, and, on top of the duties they already have. All while there are still some things to play for. And when they ask him about the nepotism, do they really expect him to say "yeah, I hired Brian because he was my son and so we could milk some more money out of this deal." Or do they want him to say that he regrets ever hiring Brian in the first place?

There is no answer that these people want to hear. KF says the right things like, we are just looking at the next game and everyone is working as hard as we can and at the end of the season we will go back and evaluate everything and make some decisions then. What is wrong with that? By calling players and coaches out right now is just unprofessional and tacky.

I don't understand what some of these people are wanting and expecting here. Does it really matter that somebody calls out KF? What is the point, do they think that KF doesn't know that the offense is not very good and the obvious obstacle to why this team is losing games? Do they expect KF to say, yeah, BF is going to be fired at the end of the year? If he did that he may as well fire him now. And what good is that going to do? If for nothing else it means that somebody else on the staff has to handle those duties, and, on top of the duties they already have. All while there are still some things to play for. And when they ask him about the nepotism, do they really expect him to say "yeah, I hired Brian because he was my son and so we could milk some more money out of this deal." Or do they want him to say that he regrets ever hiring Brian in the first place?

There is no answer that these people want to hear. KF says the right things like, we are just looking at the next game and everyone is working as hard as we can and at the end of the season we will go back and evaluate everything and make some decisions then. What is wrong with that? By calling players and coaches out right now is just unprofessional and tacky.
Yes, it matters.

Kirk needs to know that his offense isn't only "not very good," it's DEAD LAST in almost every category. It's a historically bad situation, a situation he should attempt to explain as the man in charge.

Using the word nepotism in a statement directed at KF makes it known people are thinking about it - The nepotism he has in place is being noticed and he can no longer sit idly by, chewing his gum and getting away with "that's football." Nepotism is a very, very bad thing hence the importance of him knowing what he's gotten into.

KF has been allowed to be very comfortable in his role for many many years, which he needs to know is rapidly changing (insert situations where Kirky is finally being called out).

Yes, it matters.

Kirk needs to know that his offense isn't only "not very good," it's DEAD LAST in almost every category. It's a historically bad situation, a situation he should attempt to explain as the man in charge.

Using the word nepotism in a statement directed at KF makes it known people are thinking about it - The nepotism he has in place is being noticed and he can no longer sit idly by, chewing his gum and getting awa with "that's football." Nepotism is a very, very bad thing hence the importance of him knowing what he's gotten into.

KF has been allowed to be very comfortable in his role for many many years, which he needs to know is rapidly changing (insert situations where Kirky is finally being called out).
I get what you're saying. But let's remember, the fans and media and administration have allowed KF to get to be a "fat cat" of sorts. This is why he is as he is now. Everything has revolved around him for many years now.

But the good news is I do believe now he will be much more scrutinized. Safe to say there won't be another family member hired.

I want to know what "Modern Football" means. The only descriptive criteria in that article was using the portal and NIL. My main problem with that is lets say you use the portal, what do you then do with the extra players on your team? Do you kick them out the door, revoke their scholarship?
Uuuuh yeah, it’s been that way for like a decade now, lol. It’s not 1920. Players shouldn’t just be given free spots. You go, sorry it didn’t work out Petras, we will help you find a scholarship at Drake.

Reactions: coorsoriginal02

I don't understand what you want and are expecting here. This is the time of year when Hawkeyes should be enjoying their team. Instead, we're suffering through it and all of it's distractions caused by the making of one man. We should be Iowa nice, huh? Be friendly, agreeable, patient, trusting and wait 2, 3, 4 months or longer for the King to come down from the mountain and give his decisions to the mortals. I say, not in a New York minute.

Reactions: dadster and frydaze
Yes, it matters.

Using the word nepotism in a statement directed at KF makes it known people are thinking about it - The nepotism he has in place is being noticed and he can no longer sit idly by, chewing his gum and getting away with "that's football." Nepotism is a very, very bad thing hence the importance of him knowing what he's gotten into.

So you don't think KF knows his offense is DEAD LAST? He needs to hear it from a reporter? And how exactly should he explain it that satisfies you? Do you want him to go all Scott Frost and start throwing players and coaches under the bus? Because him taking the high road by saying that he is ultimately accountable for the performance of his football team and he will evaluate his team at the end of the season seems to not be good enough for you.

On your second point, lets say BF is not KF's son and just some random coach. Do you think that KF would have fired him during the season? Maybe you do, but I don't. He has never done that and I don't ever see him doing that. There are a lot of ramifications of that and it could be an indication to his team that he is throwing in the towel. Plus, even the most novice Iowa football fan knows that there are a lot of problems with the offense aside from the OC. But, because BF is his son, everyone wants to jump on the nepotism thing and I think that irrelevant because AT THIS POINT he is not treating his son differently than an unrelated coach. I also personally don't think KF hired BF just because he was his son and wanted to give him a job, I think KF hired BF because he believed in his coaching ability, he could trust him and because he knew his character very well because he was his son. A lot of sons have worked for their dad's in sports over the years. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but to just say it shouldn't happen at all because of nepotism is lazy.

For your third paragraph, you don't think KF knows this is a fickle business and it is all about what you have done lately? He knows it better than anyone, I promise. He knows that it all comes down to whether you win games or not.

Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
So you don't think KF knows his offense is DEAD LAST? He needs to hear it from a reporter? And how exactly should he explain it that satisfies you? Do you want him to go all Scott Frost and start throwing players and coaches under the bus? Because him taking the high road by saying that he is ultimately accountable for the performance of his football team and he will evaluate his team at the end of the season seems to not be good enough for you.

On your second point, lets say BF is not KF's son and just some random coach. Do you think that KF would have fired him during the season? Maybe you do, but I don't. He has never done that and I don't ever see him doing that. There are a lot of ramifications of that and it could be an indication to his team that he is throwing in the towel. Plus, even the most novice Iowa football fan knows that there are a lot of problems with the offense aside from the OC. But, because BF is his son, everyone wants to jump on the nepotism thing and I think that irrelevant because AT THIS POINT he is not treating his son differently than an unrelated coach. I also personally don't think KF hired BF just because he was his son and wanted to give him a job, I think KF hired BF because he believed in his coaching ability, he could trust him and because he knew his character very well because he was his son. A lot of sons have worked for their dad's in sports over the years. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but to just say it shouldn't happen at all because of nepotism is lazy.

For your third paragraph, you don't think KF knows this is a fickle business and it is all about what you have done lately? He knows it better than anyone, I promise. He knows that it all comes down to whether you win games or not.
Holy shit dude, pull your head out of Kirk's ass and come up for some air. We get it. You don't agree with the other side of it. That's OK. Just warning you that you're now looking like a fanboy.

Reactions: radicalhawk
I don't understand what you want and are expecting here. This is the time of year when Hawkeyes should be enjoying their team. Instead, we're suffering through it and all of it's distractions caused by the making of one man. We should be Iowa nice, huh? Be friendly, agreeable, patient, trusting and wait 2, 3, 4 months or longer for the King to come down from the mountain and give his decisions to the mortals. I say, not in a New York minute.
I don't expect anything and KF, the players and the university doesn't owe me shit just because I love the Hawkeyes. Of course I want to enjoy winning, but, I also understand that you cannot win them all and losing is just part of it. Everybody loses, there is nobody that is perfect. There are different levels, for instance, if Alabama loses to another game and doesn't make it to the CFP believe it or not there will be some people that will say all the same things about Saban; he is too old, hasn't adapted, doesn't care, blah, blah, blah. It goes on in every program. But know that the coaches and the players are suffering far more than you are, they are the ones dedicating their lives and busting their asses to try to win games and it is not coming together for them. I think they deserve our support throughout the season then when it is all done and over lets see what changes are going to be made.

You know it was not that long ago that the one man you are describing built a program that played in a game last year with 2 top 5 teams, won, and took us to #2 in the nation. And if you didn't have tears in your eyes when Ragaini scored that touchdown I have to question your love for this team. And now when they are struggling you want to give up on them and start blaming and pointing fingers. If I was KF I would want to tell all of you to go f**k off too.

Holy shit dude, pull your head out of Kirk's ass and come up for some air. We get it. You don't agree with the other side of it. That's OK. Just warning you that you're now looking like a fanboy.
Arent we all supposed to be fans? Or am I the only one here? I just don't have the attitude that just because I spend a few hours a week watching a game and a few more arguing with a bunch of dipshits on this message board that KF owes me. It is pretty simple here dude, if you don't want to be a fan, then don't be. There are a lot of teams to root for and a lot of bandwagons to jump on. Just make sure that you go and buy a retro shirt and wash it about 50 times so that you can tell everyone that you have been a fan all of your life.

Reactions: NorHawk16
Arent we all supposed to be fans? Or am I the only one here? I just don't have the attitude that just because I spend a few hours a week watching a game and a few more arguing with a bunch of dipshits on this message board that KF owes me. It is pretty simple here dude, if you don't want to be a fan, then don't be. There are a lot of teams to root for and a lot of bandwagons to jump on. Just make sure that you go and buy a retro shirt and wash it about 50 times so that you can tell everyone that you have been a fan all of your life.
You're a fanatic, and you glory worship casches who are embarrassed you do. Get over yourself and grow up Tavern Hawk!

Reactions: radicalhawk
I will give you credit, at least you proclaim to the a Superfan. Yes, you are the only fan of Iowa football.
to summarize, I am a great fan, be like me or go find another team

I will give you credit, at least you proclaim to the a Superfan. Yes, you are the only fan of Iowa football.
to summarize, I am a great fan, be like me or go find another team
He’s a Kirk jock sniffer.

I don't expect anything and KF, the players and the university doesn't owe me shit just because I love the Hawkeyes. Of course I want to enjoy winning, but, I also understand that you cannot win them all and losing is just part of it. Everybody loses, there is nobody that is perfect. There are different levels, for instance, if Alabama loses to another game and doesn't make it to the CFP believe it or not there will be some people that will say all the same things about Saban; he is too old, hasn't adapted, doesn't care, blah, blah, blah. It goes on in every program. But know that the coaches and the players are suffering far more than you are, they are the ones dedicating their lives and busting their asses to try to win games and it is not coming together for them. I think they deserve our support throughout the season then when it is all done and over lets see what changes are going to be made.

You know it was not that long ago that the one man you are describing built a program that played in a game last year with 2 top 5 teams, won, and took us to #2 in the nation. And if you didn't have tears in your eyes when Ragaini scored that touchdown I have to question your love for this team. And now when they are struggling you want to give up on them and start blaming and pointing fingers. If I was KF I would want to tell all of you to go f**k off too.
I don’t agree with your super fandom. None of it.

Carry on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT