ADVERTISEMENT

Shirts vs Skins game

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
Fran did away with this a year or two ago. And really, it's football season. So it did not create too many headlines. But it did feed the basketball junkie a few threads each year.

Since he has abandoned PTL as well, the basketball junkie in me is starving even more!

Yes, it was just PTL & shirts vs skins games. However that gave insight to some players. And at the very least provided numerous threads to talk about bball. Lots of good chatter.

Anyone want to lobby for a couple of Shirts vs Skins games this fall?? Just a couple games would satisfy me greatly.

How is Joe playing against college talent? Let's see what Dailey has developed into. Not to forget about a skinny Pemsl(that doesn't sound right) and a bulked up Kriener. Is Moss playing consistent? Can Cook rebound & defend to match his physical talent? Not to mention Connor, CJ, Baer, Nunge? That Garza guy?

There are several late football games this year. Perfect timing for a player organized pickup game! What do you say JBo...?

The other thing that did way with it was expanding the time the players get to practice with coaches during the "off-season", and having the practice facility. So now they can run closed practices instead of a pick up game of shirts v. skins

Reactions: mick82
Fran did away with this a year or two ago. And really, it's football season. So it did not create too many headlines. But it did feed the basketball junkie a few threads each year.

Since he has abandoned PTL as well, the basketball junkie in me is starving even more!

Yes, it was just PTL & shirts vs skins games. However that gave insight to some players. And at the very least provided numerous threads to talk about bball. Lots of good chatter.

Anyone want to lobby for a couple of Shirts vs Skins games this fall?? Just a couple games would satisfy me greatly.

How is Joe playing against college talent? Let's see what Dailey has developed into. Not to forget about a skinny Pemsl(that doesn't sound right) and a bulked up Kriener. Is Moss playing consistent? Can Cook rebound & defend to match his physical talent? Not to mention Connor, CJ, Baer, Nunge? That Garza guy?

There are several late football games this year. Perfect timing for a player organized pickup game! What do you say JBo...?

It wouldn't be a bad idea for Fran to have an open practice or controlled scrimmage on a Saturday morning. I get why they did away with Shirts/Skins and the PTL based on different rules for coaches working with players, but it would create some goodwill if there were opportunities for fans to see the team (for free).

While I rarely missed a shirts & skins, thanks for the entertainment Legend, I understand it’s demise. In addition to everything else, Carver-Hawkeye was dark & not inviting on a Saturday morning. Quiet like a mausoleum; a total downer compared to the tailgating outside. Huge, impersonable, not air conditioned, no food or drink & four flights of stairs down to a good view. At the end, the 25 of us that came every time looked pathetic sprinkled around CH.

I actually think they do still scrimmage but it is in the practice arena.

Given the preseason mood surrounding what this team won't be this year, these game/games would likely be the subject for two months of full on negative posts before the season even get's started if these games came back.

Personally I'llI'd love to watch and get feedback from a lot of you, but I don't see the benefit for the team. The PTL and the skins game were a breeding ground for bad habits and we fans couldn't wait to watch and set unrealistic expectations for the players.

Like most of us I'm ready to start the season today, and I think we have the potential to surprise some teams. I kind of like the low expectations, but I'd like to see the guys start proving people wrong yesterday.

damn kids. now you're making me feel old.

I just remember when the Iowa Seniors with Moe came to Spirit Lake during the game he had to run to the locker room to throw up, he was playing pretty much still drunk.

I was with the guys one year on the NE Iowa part of the trip...they made a TON of $$$ and I think 50% of it went to bar tabs that week.

I remember going into the old Fieldhouse prior to kickoff and watching both B-ball and wrestling going on at the same time, since wrestling didn't need much space
That was great.
But, I was a kid.
Now, I don't really care.

When Lute Olson was coach he would schedule scrimages in high school gyms....went to one in at Clinton High School in the early 80's....place was packed.

Iowa had a wrestling meet against Northwestern at Clinton high as well....probably just a scrimmage but I thought it was an actual meet at the time....not sure.

Anyway, was great outreach and grew the fan base.

When Lute Olson was coach he would schedule scrimages in high school gyms....went to one in at Clinton High School in the early 80's....place was packed.

Iowa had a wrestling meet against Northwestern at Clinton high as well....probably just a scrimmage but I thought it was an actual meet at the time....not sure.

Anyway, was great outreach and grew the fan base.
I remember this as well. Went to one in Ft. Dodge. It was a great PR move, as I look back on it. My Mom was forever a Steve Carfino fan, at least in part because of that.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I remember this as well. Went to one in Ft. Dodge. It was a great PR move, as I look back on it. My Mom was forever a Steve Carfino fan, at least in part because of that.
Yep, it was great, especially for young kid like me. Up close and personal with your "hero's" in that setting was fantastic. Wish they still did that....

With the PTL gone I think it is high time to revive the (once) annual Black & Gold blowout and give everyone a look at the freshmen. Let it be a fundraiser for the Children's Hospital. Have a Pre-game dunk contest and a 3pt shooting contest. Maybe it could be a double header with the women. Let's raise some money for the kids! And would be a good venue to showcase the team. Prizes for the students, give away some student ticket packages....get the students involved. It sure couldn't hurt.

You really think you're going to figure any of thae bolded out watching a pick up game??

If they had some structure to the game.yes we would learn some things. At the very least we would get a glimpse of what is to come...

We have essentially seen nothing but a couple of photoshoots and a few interviews since March 1st. Nothing

Make sure it isn't just a pickup game from the Fieldhouse. Which would be easy to do...
Show me this extra work on defense that several have mentioned. Show me the changes in our physical makeup of the team Show me the freshmen. Show me anything... I want to see it!

You really think you're going to figure any of thae bolded out watching a pick up game??

With the PTL gone I think it is high time to revive the (once) annual Black & Gold blowout and give everyone a look at the freshmen. Let it be a fundraiser for the Children's Hospital. Have a Pre-game dunk contest and a 3pt shooting contest. Maybe it could be a double header with the women. Let's raise some money for the kids! And would be a good venue to showcase the team. Prizes for the students, give away some student ticket packages....get the students involved. It sure couldn't hurt.

:)

It would be perfect for a 2:30 game (like tomorrow). Maybe the Wisky game. I think this is a great idea, and I don't see a lot of downside.

It would be fun! So ... it will never happen. :(o_O

I'm sure one main reason the coaches don't mind the prime time league being gone is now they can TEACH defense. In the prime time league it was just a run and slam contest. If you don't preach and practice defense all the time, you won't learn crap...Just like my golf game. If I just go to smash the ball it doesn't help sh_t. If you play golf you know what I'm preaching:rolleyes:

Fran seems hellbent on doing everything possible to make it impossible for the ever shrinking Iowa hoops fan base to see the kids play. Can't do PTL because his veteran staff that couldn't coach any D last year needs more time with the kids. Can't do shirts & skins for apparently the same reason. We are on year 9 of irrelevance under Fran and he doesn't understand public relations and throwing us fans a bone. Fran sure as hell better turn things around this season with all this "extra time" he and the staff will have the team. I do not want to hear any references to not being connected, guys not knowing roles, trusting each other, or being sideways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT