ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa (W) vs Maryland Game Thread*****

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
7pm FOX

Iowa (20-2, 9-1) travels to Maryland (12-9 ,4-6) to take on a scuffling Terps team that has lost 3 games in a row (Mich, PSU and IND).

This isn’t a great Maryland team but they did stay close with OSU last month and is 9-2 at home. Iowa is 0-6 at Maryland since they’ve joined the league, including a 96-68 butt kicking last year. Tonight will be another packed house and white out.

At the end of the day though CC proves to be too much and Hawks win 88-79

Last edited:
Here are Iowa's results at Maryland since Maryland joined the Big Ten:

2015: Lost 93-88
2017: Lost 100-81
2018: Lost 80-64
2020: Lost 93-59
2021: Lost 111-93
2023: Lost 96-68

That said, this is by far Maryland's worst team since joining the conference, and its best player, Shyanne Sellers, might be out. If ever there was a time to win at Maryland, it's now. Here's the rest of my preview: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/preview-no-3-iowa-wbb-at-maryland

Great results, but overall Clark didn't have her best 3pt shooting game vs. Northwestern. With various motivations, I'm thinking tonight clicks. Maybe a CC22 "wow" game? I'd love to see it anyway. Should be a good one for prime time Saturday night.

Maryland might like to play uptempo like us, but when I've watched them this year I've been underwhelmed by their offensive strategy, if there is any. Our D is improved this year as well. I'm pretty conservative on predictions, but I see us winning by double digits.

Great results, but overall Clark didn't have her best 3pt shooting game vs. Northwestern. With various motivations, I'm thinking tonight clicks. Maybe a CC22 "wow" game? I'd love to see it anyway. Should be a good one for prime time Saturday night.
This. Each game is different, BUT the last couple of seasons when the lights are the brightest she ups her game even more. National game on FOX. I'm betting she shows up, and shows out......

This. Each game is different, BUT the last couple of seasons when the lights are the brightest she ups her game even more. National game on FOX. I'm betting she shows up, and shows out......
I don’t know if USC’s Juju Watson’s 51 points against 4th ranked Stanford last night will motivate Clark, but she does typically respond to challenges.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Very tough game, we can definitely lose this one. 11.5 is a lot of points. I’d guess we start cold like normal and get rolling in the 2nd half..

95-81

Anticipating a tough game, love her or hate her Brenda Frese is a great coach.

A lot is going on in College Park. Yes, Frese has rebuilt well year after year, but this latest year saw a big drop in talent.

Diamond Miller was the #2 overall pick for the W. That’s Caitlin Clark good. She alone being on that team was a gamechanger for them. Like Clark, she could do things very few others can, including putting the team on her back. Then Abby Meyers was also a first round pick — she was a veteran player with a solid mid range game who could create shots very well for the numerous shooters on their team. I knew it was gonna be a lot harder to replace two senior leaders with great attitudes over the likes of Angel Reese and Ashley Owusu, who clearly had some chemistry / effort issues — and also will not be Top 2 W picks.

On top of losing those two, they lost another 5th year starter in Pinzan. They mostly have replaced them with a couple transfers from mid-majors who, while talented, simply aren’t 1st round picks. G Jakia Brown Turner — NC State txfr — is an exception, but she hasn’t been performing to expectations. Which should be fine tbh bc it takes most transfers awhile to settle in. It arguably took Molly Davis an entire season plus. But JBT also isn’t rly what they need on a talented, guard-heavy roster tho.

So there’s been a lot of turnover on the MD roster and this last year hit them unexpectedly hard (I think 5 of their 7 rotation players are transfers). Frese said she rly struggled to find anyone else in the portal this season. Some fans say it’s NIL. Other less forgiving parties might say that the constant revolving door of transfers has cast an unflattering reputation over the program.

On top of that, injuries have made the situation worse. 5th year W Faith Masonius tore her ACL 2 seasons ago and really has never recovered. F Allie Kubek tore hers last year and isn’t the same this year. C Emma Chardon tore hers earlier this year, and so did freshman 5 star guard Riley Nelson. So they’re short handed.

This roster chaos has left them without a true PG and without a true C. They’ve got 6’1 girls defending under the basket. Shyanne Sellers, their best all around player and passer, had filled in at PG this season (even tho she is a SF). But just two games ago, she suffered a knee injury and is now day to day. She missed the Indiana game of course.

Their offense has rly stagnated as a result. Theres a lot of hero ball / ISO play going on which is v uncharacteristic of a Brenda frese led squad. And bc of their (lack of) depth they can’t press, their signature defense. Theyre having a rough go.

One important thing I left out is that Maryland still has a LOT of very athletic players. Like, anyone would take their 6 top players over basically any of our players not named Clark. Brinae Alexander, Lavender Briggs, Bri McDaniel, Shyanne Sellers, Jakia Brown Turner?? Like damn that’s a lot of talent. I mean really. They could definitely beat us Saturday on paper. Those are tough, fast, long, highly ranked kids with game. They’d all start for us without a doubt. Any coach would kill to have even one of them. It’s really crazy to see them losing so many games with that talent.

But the positional distribution is anything but ideal (all shooters/Wings) and the roster turnover element, IMO, is undeniable. And Frese doesn’t want to play small ball. She wants a strong Center — and they have one on the bench! They have a 6’7 (!!!) freshman who has barely played — their fans have been begging her to just try her out. I guess she’s not ready tho.

Anyway, IMHO it’s hard to sustain culture / a system when you have 5 or 6 impact players coming and going each year. I’ve long thought their revolving door would catch up with them and now I believe it has. Idk if a single starter from last year besides Sellers is back (and again, she just suffered an ugly knee injury). Theyre also turning the ball over a lot without a true PG.

The player who has stepped up in the face of all this adversity is Bri McDaniel. But she is just a sophomore and her current role is far from the role she practiced for all off-season. Despite that, expect her to make some very impressive shots against us in any case. Expect the same from Alexander and Briggs.

Do the Maryland women play with the different brand of basketball? I remember something like that when the men played there. But maybe not anymore.

How long have they had a officer following her around. Seen it after the last game and in this video.

What other women's team gets this when they travel?

GFc3JGFWwAAC_py

GFc3JpjW4AAL_V2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT