ADVERTISEMENT

Should I Be Getting my Hopes up

Maybe a little bit……. I thought Freeman couldn’t even look at a player from Minnesota or it was a foul. With him we are decent so I will wait to see how the Purdue game goes to see how he gets treated against a real beast.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Both Nebraska and Minnesota shot under 20% from 3. These weren't difficult shots either. This team does look better without Patrick and I love the youth on this team.

I had low expectations coming in, honestly thought an NIT bid might be their ceiling so their improved play as of late is a nice sign that they may have more juice than expected.

OIP.AmnHcoaxGhMB6Egkr0H5oQHaD-

Well once the Purdue game is gone. It should be interesting. Especially if they play less to no Patrick.

The last two games have me excited that the team has a competitive spirit, good chemistry, and have some great shooters.

Getting to 3-3 in conference is huge compared to where I thought they’d be now, after starting 0-3.
Agree....It has been a tough watch at times but MAYBE getting better?? I just don't know. Jaws and company coming to town next.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Both Nebraska and Minnesota shot under 20% from 3. These weren't difficult shots either. This team does look better without Patrick and I love the youth on this team.

Unfortunately this is a huge part of it. The last two teams shot terrible. What have me hope is that we didn't shoot a ton of threes (or make them) and still won a road game.

Still hoping for a NIT bid at minimum. Sneaking in the tournament would be icing on the cake.

Defense seems to be turning the corner. And if you can’t appreciate the way they are passing the ball right now, then I don’t know why you’d bother to watch. Just beautiful and unselfish.

Interesting, the last 3 years we’ve been driven by our stars. I said earlier that this team didn’t have an identity. But I like what I see now. Many guys stepping up. Krikke, Perkins and Sandy giving us some leadership. But this is a TEAM.

It's shooting, as always. Hawks are 11-1 when shooting +44%. 0-5 shooting less than that.

Of course, a good shooting % can the direct result of passing well. Averaging 22+ assists in the 12 games they shot +44%. Only 14 in the 0-5 games.

We know the Hawks will be poor on defense, Ok on the boards, and average about 10 TO's per game. The variables seem to be shooting and assists.

Unfortunately this is a huge part of it. The last two teams shot terrible. What have me hope is that we didn't shoot a ton of threes (or make them) and still won a road game.

Still hoping for a NIT bid at minimum. Sneaking in the tournament would be icing on the cake.

Iowa was 3/13 from 3 vs Minny so we won because we converted 2 pt shots at high efficiency...being able to win without the 3 ball going down is a positive. I also think Iowa got a very bad whistle in defending Dawson Garcia---11 combined fouls in 36 min for Freeman, Dimbele, and Braun.

Fran has to come up with a better defensive plan vs Purdue's giant than 1st game and keep Freeman in the game. They shouldn't be fouling Eddy once he has the ball in position. The goal should be making it hard to getting the ball into Eddy and not letting Purdue go off from 3pt line again. Last time it was both Eddey going off and the purdue 3pt shooters going off.

My take is this is a 10-10 B1G record type Iowa team but not much of a threat for any NCAA tourney run unless the defense improves, especially post defense.

At one point the announcer said the look like the most cohesive group in the big ten. That would a huge asset in winning many more game.
They did last night making the extra pass and gang rebounding on defense

Iowa was 3/13 from 3 vs Minny so we won because we converted 2 pt shots at high efficiency...being able to win without the 3 ball going down is a positive. I also think Iowa got a very bad whistle in defending Dawson Garcia---11 combined fouls in 36 min for Freeman, Dimbele, and Braun.

Fran has to come up with a better defensive plan vs Purdue's giant than 1st game and keep Freeman in the game. They shouldn't be fouling Eddy once he has the ball in position. The goal should be making it hard to getting the ball into Eddy and not letting Purdue go off from 3pt line again. Last time it was both Eddey going off and the purdue 3pt shooters going off.

My take is this is a 10-10 B1G record type Iowa team but not much of a threat for any NCAA tourney run unless the defense improves, especially post defense.
So take away Edey and also take away the 3 for Purdue? Sure, sounds easy!

Iowa can play some beautiful basketball at the offensive end. Hit shots and keep turnovers low is the formula.

We all know the formula on defense, if it doesn't work we switch to something else that we don't do particularly well. If the opponent hits a high enough percentage we are doomed.

My optimistic hope is they get to 10 or maybe 11 wins in the BIG.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Iowa can play some beautiful basketball at the offensive end. Hit shots and keep turnovers low is the formula.

We all know the formula on defense, if it doesn't work we switch to something else that we don't do particularly well. If the opponent hits a high enough percentage we are doomed.

My optimistic hope is they get to 10 or maybe 11 wins in the BIG.
Our D is infinitely better without Patrick.

Good kid who has had some tough breaks but he's healthy, which is all that matters.

That being said this team plays much, much, better on both ends of the court without him.

Reactions: littlez
Before the season started I said this was a .500 in conference team,.. I'll stick with that prediction.

A big part of that is WHY Iowa was leaving open too. 9 of Minnesota's misses came from guys who are shooting less than 21% on the season. Another 4 misses came from a guy who is shooting less than 33%.
Sure, Mitchell and Christie had off shooting nights for being good shooters--but the rest of Minnesota isn't some juggernaut 3 point shooting team to be honest, which is why Iowa was perfectly fine letting a 17% 3 point shooter heave up 5 open ones.

Nebraska was a little bit of variance, but I also think Iowa did a good job of running Tominaga and Wilcher (Nebraska's 2 best shooters) off the line and not letting them get much space. It's part of the reason why Iowa was an absolute turnstile on defense in the first half though because they were really selling out to defend the 3. It's kind of similar to what Minnesota did last night--they were playing Payton and Tony really tight on the perimeter which allowed those guys to back cut and get some open layups at times last night.

Conference is way down, we certainly have a chance to win out at home. Probably be favored in every home game moving forward except Purdue. We stole one on the road last night. We obviously don’t have many (or really any) big wins. Purdue would be huge. We really need a signature win. Is 11-9 with a win over Purdue good enough plus maybe 2 ok wins in the Big Ten tournament? I don’t know this year.

Conference is way down, we certainly have a chance to win out at home. Probably be favored in every home game moving forward except Purdue. We stole one on the road last night. We obviously don’t have many (or really any) big wins. Purdue would be huge. We really need a signature win. Is 11-9 with a win over Purdue good enough plus maybe 2 ok wins in the Big Ten tournament? I don’t know this year.
They would have stolen that game had they won.
We took last night's game.

I feel like at 11-9, they will be in good position heading into the BTT if you look at what the schedule is for the last 14 games of the regular season. At that record, Iowa either A) wins every single current Q2 and Q3 game remaining or B) picks up at least 1 or more current Q1 win(s).

Even in scenario (A), that would make Iowa's resume really unique where Iowa is 8-0 in Q2 but 0-11 in Q1 (assuming every team stays in their current quadrant which is unlikely). It would be a very similar resume to the one that NC State had last year where they received one of the 11 seeds that did not play in Dayton with only a single Q1 win all year. They would likely be firmly on the bubble heading into the BTT and likely needing to win at least 1 game in Minneapolis to get in.

But the most likely scenario is that if Iowa were to get to 11-9 on the conference, they pick up at least 1 or 2 of the Q1 games remaining on the schedule/a team that is currently Q2 climbs into Q1.

The last two games have me excited that the team has a competitive spirit, good chemistry, and have some great shooters.

Getting to 3-3 in conference is huge compared to where I thought they’d be now, after starting 0-3.
What's been the difference the last 2 games? He's sitting on the bench and not playing.

I feel like at 11-9, they will be in good position heading into the BTT if you look at what the schedule is for the last 14 games of the regular season. At that record, Iowa either A) wins every single current Q2 and Q3 game remaining or B) picks up at least 1 or more current Q1 win(s).

Even in scenario (A), that would make Iowa's resume really unique where Iowa is 8-0 in Q2 but 0-11 in Q1 (assuming every team stays in their current quadrant which is unlikely). It would be a very similar resume to the one that NC State had last year where they received one of the 11 seeds that did not play in Dayton with only a single Q1 win all year. They would likely be firmly on the bubble heading into the BTT and likely needing to win at least 1 game in Minneapolis to get in.

But the most likely scenario is that if Iowa were to get to 11-9 on the conference, they pick up at least 1 or 2 of the Q1 games remaining on the schedule/a team that is currently Q2 climbs into Q1.
You've got too much time on your hands.

Yes and No.

It's better than expected this year, but in the end it will likely be the same old flaws that get them.

A big part of that is WHY Iowa was leaving open too. 9 of Minnesota's misses came from guys who are shooting less than 21% on the season. Another 4 misses came from a guy who is shooting less than 33%.
Sure, Mitchell and Christie had off shooting nights for being good shooters--but the rest of Minnesota isn't some juggernaut 3 point shooting team to be honest, which is why Iowa was perfectly fine letting a 17% 3 point shooter heave up 5 open ones.

Nebraska was a little bit of variance, but I also think Iowa did a good job of running Tominaga and Wilcher (Nebraska's 2 best shooters) off the line and not letting them get much space. It's part of the reason why Iowa was an absolute turnstile on defense in the first half though because they were really selling out to defend the 3. It's kind of similar to what Minnesota did last night--they were playing Payton and Tony really tight on the perimeter which allowed those guys to back cut and get some open layups at times last night.
I haven't watched the Minnesota game but against Nebraska, Iowa switched to a zone in the second half which ended up being quite effective. Nebraska got corner 3s against it but didn't hit them. I don't think Tominaga/Wilcher were the ones getting those shots.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT