ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Kaleb Brown OWI

Kirk's been doing this for 25 years. Anytime this happens, it's a 1 game suspension. Whether it was Bob Sanders, ISM, Tristan Wirfs, or Jermari Harris. Each one of those guys got 1 game. I'll be shocked if it's anything more than 1 game. For the underage drinking and fake ID, it's wind sprints and Kinnick stairs til he pukes, but he ain't gonna lose game time for that stuff.

Drinking underage, driving under the influence, and a fake id. How are there not teammates to drive these guys around to avoid these issue.
It's been my experience that when young folks get drunk....it doesn't matter what options you give them they still end doing stupid shit like this.

Saw it many times during my military career.

Agree -- college kids make mistakes, especially when alcohol is involved. I made those mistakes as a student at Iowa in the early 1980s, but was never arrested.

One game suspension is fine for a first offense.
College kids have done, do, and will continue to do stupid things involving alcohol. But compared to current days, the attitude about drinking and driving in the early 80s was much different. Awareness of the danger and risk is much greater - for good reason. Uber is $10. It’s on their phones. Use it. Not Ubering a ride home is worthy of a 1 game suspension alone. That’s the punishment he should receive.

On the bright side, he’ll be in a lot better shape after his intimate tour of the steps at Kinnick.

College kids have done, do, and will continue to do stupid things involving alcohol. But compared to current days, the attitude about drinking and driving in the early 80s was much different. Awareness of the danger and risk is much greater - for good reason. Uber is $10. It’s on their phones. Use it. Not Ubering a ride home is worthy of a 1 game suspension alone. That’s the punishment he should receive.

On the bright side, he’ll be in a lot better shape after his intimate tour of the steps at Kinnick.
Didn't we have a player a few years ago get busted because he climbed in the back of a cop car thinking it was his Uber ride?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyes4sandusky
Harris got a 1 game suspension last year. Only difference is Harris was of legal age to drink. A 4 game suspension would way overboard based on what I’ve read/ heard. I could see a two game suspension since he was underage as well.
I don't know why he should be suspended from any game. He will serve his punishment from the legal system. Why is more punishment needed?

I was always partial to walking.

Iowa = my team
200w.gif

• Haha
This isn't a standard OWI - there clearly was more going on including property damage and fake ID. That said I highly doubt the staff holds him out for the Iowa State game.

Harris got a 1 game suspension last year. Only difference is Harris was of legal age to drink. A 4 game suspension would way overboard based on what I’ve read/ heard. I could see a two game suspension since he was underage as well.
8 (or 9) game suspension to preserve the redshirt that O$U burned for no apparent reason.

The clip I just read said his vehicle was crashed when caught. Anybody know who or what he hit? Definitely could be more than a one game suspension depending on the details.

Major damage to his vehicle. Fake ID, too.

University of Iowa wide receiver Kaleb Brown charged with OWI after damaging vehicle

June 24, 2024
jhunter
Local News

A University of Iowa wide receiver faces OWI charges after damaging his vehicle overnight Sunday.

20-year-old Kaleb Brown of South Van Buren was near his residence just before 2:30 am and reportedly observed with heavy front-end damage to his 2023 Dodge Durango, including a front wheel completely turned sideways. Brown then allegedly backed the vehicle onto a lawn and began spinning his tires.

Upon contact, he reportedly had bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, unsteady balance and the strong odor of ingested alcohol. He refused all field and chemical tests. Brown was also reportedly found with a fictitious driver’s license making him appear to be of legal drinking age.

Brown was charged with OWI first offense and possession of a fictitious ID. He could be sentenced to up to two years in jail if convicted on both counts.

The Chicago native transferred to the University of Iowa from Ohio State in 2023 and played in 11 games, starting at wide receiver four times. He had 22 catches for 215 yards and one touchdown. Brown also rushed nine times for 54 yards. He earned the offensive Next Man In award for the Hawkeyes.

Drinking underage, driving under the influence, and a fake id. How are there not teammates to drive these guys around to avoid these issue.
People who are impaired do not think clearly and he thought he could get home. Many or sometimes times that decision is a terrible one.

• Haha
Major damage to his vehicle. Fake ID, too.

University of Iowa wide receiver Kaleb Brown charged with OWI after damaging vehicle

June 24, 2024
jhunter
Local News

A University of Iowa wide receiver faces OWI charges after damaging his vehicle overnight Sunday.

20-year-old Kaleb Brown of South Van Buren was near his residence just before 2:30 am and reportedly observed with heavy front-end damage to his 2023 Dodge Durango, including a front wheel completely turned sideways. Brown then allegedly backed the vehicle onto a lawn and began spinning his tires.

Upon contact, he reportedly had bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, unsteady balance and the strong odor of ingested alcohol. He refused all field and chemical tests. Brown was also reportedly found with a fictitious driver’s license making him appear to be of legal drinking age.

Brown was charged with OWI first offense and possession of a fictitious ID. He could be sentenced to up to two years in jail if convicted on both counts.

The Chicago native transferred to the University of Iowa from Ohio State in 2023 and played in 11 games, starting at wide receiver four times. He had 22 catches for 215 yards and one touchdown. Brown also rushed nine times for 54 yards. He earned the offensive Next Man In award for the Hawkeyes.

I know he is looked upon poorly by most, but Rob Howe mentioned there having been an issue with Kaleb last season, but he viewed it as minor. Wasn't sure what he was referring to. Any idea?

One would think there is an unwritten ride service available 24/7 for these athletes, but some may partake in the activities and then not want to call it because word may get back to the Godfather.

Agree -- college kids make mistakes, especially when alcohol is involved. I made those mistakes as a student at Iowa in the early 1980s, but was never arrested.

One game suspension is fine for a first offense.
Maybe so, BUT in the late 70's for me and probably the early 80's the legal drinking age was 18. Being stupid is one thing. Breaking several laws is another.....Just sayin

So he was drunk enough to hit something hard enough to bend a rim and tire, think that the car was still okay to drive, back up on to someone's lawn, and then spin the tires in a futile attempt to leave the scene. He hit for the cycle on that one. I imagine at 2:30 in the morning that caused quite a stir and noise in the neighborhood, that it prompted someone to call the police. Only fortunate thing is that it was 2:30 in the morning so no one was out (on the road or on a lawn).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT