ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Kaleb Brown OWI

I'd say leadership and responsibility. When you're the leader of a shallow and underdeveloped unit that's critical to the team, you should know better than to do something like this. Sets a bad example, let's the team down, etc.
Makes sense. I was thinking all the guys need to be responsible but yes, the upperclassmen and especially a guy the team is depending on as a starter. Probably blew his chance to score a TD against the clones in Kinnick.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyes4sandusky
Sounds like KB in trouble, start out the season in the doghouse...probably running Kinnick steps as we speak.
He’s a college kid… I know I did it and didn’t get caught but he’s a young man going out and having fun but making shit decisions unfortunately … but I think most of us have been there before

I find it hard to believe the servers in Iowa city bars don't know who the FB players are.
Besides anyone who starts to get that drunk they should have stopped serving earlier.
I agree with your second sentence as I tended bar many years ago and you can easily tell who has had enough.

As far as your first statement, I have only seen closeups of a few of the current hawks faces and KBrown not until just recently. Maybe living in Iowa City, which I did for many years a long time ago, is different but most times you dont see the players without their helmets on.

The amount of puritans on this board is comical.
The average personal vehicle on the road weighs two tons, which would generate 120,000 pounds of force at just 30mph. Mr. Brown, a fully grown adult, operated such a vehicle while in a state of nullified cognitive ability. You are implying we should shrug this action off as, "kids will be kids?"

The average personal vehicle on the road weighs two tons, which would generate 120,000 pounds of force at just 30mph. Mr. Brown, a fully grown adult, operated such a vehicle while in a state of nullified cognitive ability. You are implying we should shrug this action off as, "kids will be kids?"
Couple things; 1) I'm not attempting to defend drinking and driving. 2) he's only 20, I'd hardly say that's a fully grown adult. 3) no one is saying this should be shrugged off but rather there's plenty of judgment coming from glass house folks.

Should there be consequences? Absolutely. It was a dumb dumb thing to do. But the average 20 year old is a dumb dumb creature in certain situations.

Reactions: SI_NYC
he's from chi town so I hope it was old style that he was drinking. is that stuff even still around? never see it any longer in iowa when I go home....

Reactions: IACub
he's from chi town so I hope it was old style that he was drinking. is that stuff even still around? never see it any longer in iowa when I go home....
Best deal at Dirty John's grocery. Our house was a couple blocks from there and we lived on the stuff (maybe lived is the wrong word). It had more nicknames than any beer I ever heard of. Cold smile, Dog pile, Old Bile, So Vile, etc etc.

Yes, if it becomes a pattern, then there is an issue. However, for a one-time mistake, I am inclined to give the benefit of the doubt, assuming they messed up and won't repeat it.

Reactions: Madman_1
Anyone trying to downplay the severity should consider asking Ava Jones and her family how they feel about the topic.

Do I expect a college kid to fully grasp that concept…probably not. Should any “adults” on this board? Absolutely.

I think you’re vastly overestimating those who drink and drive but maybe we run in different crowds.
Perhaps you don’t get out much but where ever I’ve been, I spot drunk drivers all over. A some years ago I talked to an off duty police officer while in a line to get into our local osteria. He was bringing 2 bottles of wine to dinner for two people. He drove over 30 miles to the restaurant. Like this cop, I’m guessing most don’t think their drunk but they wouldn’t pass a breathalyzer if tested. Two or three pale ales and you aren’t legal, let alone a bottle of wine. Do you think all those Hawkeye fans at Kinnick are sober after drinking for 7 straight hours?

Reactions: Iafootballfan
Perhaps you don’t get out much but where ever I’ve been, I spot drunk drivers all over. A some years ago I talked to an off duty police officer while in a line to get into our local osteria. He was bringing 2 bottles of wine to dinner for two people. He drove over 30 miles to the restaurant. Like this cop, I’m guessing most don’t think their drunk but they wouldn’t pass a breathalyzer if tested. Two or three pale ales and you aren’t legal, let alone a bottle of wine. Do you think all those Hawkeye fans at Kinnick are sober after drinking for 7 straight hours?

If it’s as bad as you say we really need to step up enforcement and penalties. That’s pretty grim to be honest.

Reactions: pistachio1999
I do believe most have a DD for each vehicle or they have stopped drinking in plenty of time to be back under the limit. Iowa City / University Heights is no place to think you are gonna get away with drinking and driving.

Drunk drivers are not all over. What city do you live in?

I actually disagree with this. After 9pm tonight you will have hundreds of people leaving golf leagues, softball leagues, bowling leagues where they just spent 2+ hours drinking. Now combine them with people leaving the 50+ bars in a metro area - that's a lot of drivers under the influence on the road. I'm not saying all these people are blasted drunk, I'm talking buzzed driving bordering on .08 limits.

Reactions: kkhawk
I do believe most have a DD for each vehicle or they have stopped drinking in plenty of time to be back under the limit. Iowa City / University Heights is no place to think you are gonna get away with drinking and driving.

I've been totalled twice by drunk drivers in different cities. Neither was late at night when the majority of drunk driving occurs. If they are not all over, then I must be the unluckiest person on the planet.

I've been totalled twice by drunk drivers in different cities. Neither was late at night when the majority of drunk driving occurs. If they are not all over, then I must be the unluckiest person on the planet.
Funny as I never have been and most everyone else I know also the same.

I actually disagree with this. After 9pm tonight you will have hundreds of people leaving golf leagues, softball leagues, bowling leagues where they just spent 2+ hours drinking. Now combine them with people leaving the 50+ bars in a metro area - that's a lot of drivers under the influence on the road. I'm not saying all these people are blasted drunk, I'm talking buzzed driving bordering on .08 limits.
They better hope their license plate light isn't out.

If there are so many wasted drivers on game day, the whole county should be one massive demo derby after the game.

If there are so many wasted drivers on game day, the whole county should be one massive demo derby after the game.
When you have 100k people in Iowa City for a game in September - how many of those people end up on the road with a BAC over .08? Give me your estimate.

So he was drunk enough to hit something hard enough to bend a rim and tire, think that the car was still okay to drive, back up on to someone's lawn, and then spin the tires in a futile attempt to leave the scene. He hit for the cycle on that one. I imagine at 2:30 in the morning that caused quite a stir and noise in the neighborhood, that it prompted someone to call the police. Only fortunate thing is that it was 2:30 in the morning so no one was out (on the road or on a lawn).
I applaud your use of the baseball metaphor to a football issue. Nice turn of phrase.

When you have 100k people in Iowa City for a game in September - how many of those people end up on the road with a BAC over .08? Give me your estimate.

Depends on the game. That Ohio State game in 2006, I think the toddlers were even drunk in the stands

giphy.webp

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT