ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP...Utah nurse arrested for obeying the law....

Lets say there is. Lets say her supervisor, co-workers, and hospital officials were all lying about what they heard and witnessed. Lets say officer's body camera picking up the events weren't accurate. What else could there be to this story that the officer was remotely correct?

The patient gave him consent to draw and the nurse refused access to the patient. That's the only thing that would the only thing that would justify this. Note that I realize that didn't happen in this case. I'm just saying.

The problem with this BS is that taxpayers end up footing the bill.
I've stated it here many many times: make the penalties for officer misconduct SEVERE. Make the penalties for "covering for your buddy" SEVERE. Cops will think twice if they question what they see their fellow officers doing and realize they can be just as guilty by being complicit and not stepping in. The OTHER officers with the guy need to be in jail, too. They easily could have stepped in and told their superior or partner to STAND DOWN. Call the main office and tell the chief they have a fellow officer who is 'losing it' and get him on the phone.

Give the guy 20 years in prison, NO PAROLE. Make the penalties for the police chiefs SEVERE - LOSE 50% of your salary, NO BONUSES when you employ officers who engage in misconduct.

The only people who lose here are the taxpayers, who will shell out more $$ either directly, or per the city insurance policies that cover this, for years to come.

Bad officers give departments a bad name - hold them accountable all the way to the top.

Not that I disagree something has to be done. . . But 20 years in prison seems excessive for the harm caused. Yeah he's an idoit, he arrested her for no reason hauled her to jail where he probably quickly found out that his interpretation of the law was wrong and she was taken back to work or home.

Guy needs to be fired. More then that his supervisor needs to be fired.

Maybe if they announced that lawsuits like this will be taken from the officer's pay collectively things would change. If a guy knew he was likely to lose pay for this, he might stand up to his stupid co-worker.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I think it's not so much a "power" thing as it is an "ignorance" thing

No, it is not. They KNEW they needed the warrant.

Penalties for willful abuse of power need to hold some bite.
None of this "suspended, with pay" bullshit.

You have clear evidence of misconduct, you get suspended WITHOUT pay. Pay is 'accrued' and you get it back in full, with interest, if you are found to have not acted inappropriately. But if misconduct is determined, you lose: all 'accrued back pay' during the investigation that was withheld, you lose ALL pension (100% of it), you lose you job and you are listed as NEVER HIRE for any police precinct in America.

Oh, AND you're not eligible for unemployment benefits or ANY local/federal benefits for 5 years.

Stop making taxpayers financially accountable for this crap.

Not that I disagree something has to be done. . . But 20 years in prison seems excessive for the harm caused.

It's not about 'harm caused' in this case. It is about 'harm caused' when this type of misconduct becomes 'normal'. Make the penalties severe enough, and both police and supervisors will pay attention to training and proper conduct.

It's a 'deterrent'. These are people who are sworn to UPHOLD the law, not ABUSE the law, and the loss of public trust in police forces should never be tolerated with wrist slaps.

The patient gave him consent to draw and the nurse refused access to the patient. That's the only thing that would the only thing that would justify this. Note that I realize that didn't happen in this case. I'm just saying.
yes and I think being knocked out in a coma is pretty much the same as being blasted out on drugs and alcohol as far as giving consent goes

It's not about 'harm caused' in this case. It is about 'harm caused' when this type of misconduct becomes 'normal'. Make the penalties severe enough, and both police and supervisors will pay attention to training and proper conduct.

It's a 'deterrent'. These are people who are sworn to UPHOLD the law, not ABUSE the law, and the loss of public trust in police forces should never be tolerated with wrist slaps.

I would say there are other ways to prevent these things then to go draconian and put someone in prison for 20 years for this kind of thing. Like I said, collectively take the lawsuits out of the officer's pay.

Not only are they going to stand up to each other out in the field. But when they know one of their co-workers is an idoit they are going to be doing everything they can, begging their superiors to please get rid of the idiot now. . . or at least assign him to a job where his idiocy is going to cause the least amount of damage.

no I am talking about the constitutional law, not state and local laws. and the ignorance I speak of is ignorance of the constitution. sorry I was not specific.

Either
A) they didn't know they needed a warrant to draw blood or consent (which is inexcusable for veteran officers)

OR

B) They knew it (I think they did) and decided to use their power to try and obtain it. Which also is inexcusable from any officer.

Either
A) they didn't know they needed a warrant to draw blood or consent (which is inexcusable for veteran officers)

OR

B) They knew it (I think they did) and decided to use their power to try and obtain it. Which also is inexcusable from any officer.
I said they ignorant of the constitution

I would say there are other ways to prevent these things then to go draconian and put someone in prison for 20 years for this kind of thing.

I'm fine with the 'draconian' thing, because in 1 of 10 or 20 instances, somebody innocent is going to get shot or killed by an out of control officer.

If you cannot control yourself, get training or get on the job counseling. The other officers in that video need to be held accountable as well, for not standing up and saying something. Stand up to the guy; call the police chief and get the chief to weigh in. Something.

Properly trained officers DO NOT ENGAGE in this type of behavior.

The officer and his supervisor should both be fired for misconduct. Unemployment would be denied and it would be difficult to get a job as a cop again. They both knew or should have reasonably known that a warrant was required in this case.

Perhaps a really slick union attorney could argue the case to an arbitrator and get it reduced to a 30-90 day suspension without pay. The ONLY argument is whether they knew there was a rule that required them to have a warrant in this case. Since the one officer was trained to draw blood, it seems reasonable that he would know the law regarding this type of circumstance.

The fact that the place was filled with other Leo's that did nothing is the bigger story. Cops need to police their own if they want people to start trusting them again.

This.

If it's truly the occasional bad apple ruining the bunch, why don't we see stories of cops arresting those bad apples? You know there are cops who knew this Utah jackass for years who wouldn't put it past this guy to screw up like this. I can link stories where whistle blower cops are subsequently fired for dubious reasons, but have trouble finding those Serpico stories.

And getting a little off topic, why aren't 95% of police proud BLM members? Wouldn't the good cops be all over this - treating the public fairly, giving it the benefit of the doubt, working tirelessly to ensure that everyone's Constitutional rights are treasured and upheld? Why do cops have an adversarial relationship with BLM? Maybe it isn't just the occasional bad apple in the bunch, but mindless thug cops who can't wait to crack someone's head open are the norm? That Georgia cop flat out told the white lady he pulled over that cops "only kill black people." I saw the Trumpsters saying the cop was "being sarcastic" on that one, but with the lack of truly good cops coming forward to call out their fellow officers, I think his comments can be taken at face value. /rant

Since we know it didn't happen, why bring it up to support his ignorance?

well, as I posted above, maybe Utah has some sort of "no refusal" deal, like texas?
But the person they were trying to draw blood from wasn't the guy who caused the accident. The unconscious guy was the victim, not the suspect. The suspect was killed in the crash.
This nurse is going to get paid. The police officer needs to be terminated. He needs to have his pension revoked and his benefits cancelled. Let him try to find a job working mall security.

Reactions: Raglefant
I've given blood to the ME's office (medical examiner) many times. I've also given lab results and testified if court. They need to get a court order. Once the local authorities know the contact people usually the court orders are faxed. The blood would be picked up while lab results were faxed.

I've had impostures ask for blood and results but they are each to spot if you look. The impostures were never lucky fortunately.

This.

If it's truly the occasional bad apple ruining the bunch, why don't we see stories of cops arresting those bad apples? You know there are cops who knew this Utah jackass for years who wouldn't put it past this guy to screw up like this. I can link stories where whistle blower cops are subsequently fired for dubious reasons, but have trouble finding those Serpico stories.

And getting a little off topic, why aren't 95% of police proud BLM members? Wouldn't the good cops be all over this - treating the public fairly, giving it the benefit of the doubt, working tirelessly to ensure that everyone's Constitutional rights are treasured and upheld? Why do cops have an adversarial relationship with BLM? Maybe it isn't just the occasional bad apple in the bunch, but mindless thug cops who can't wait to crack someone's head open are the norm? That Georgia cop flat out told the white lady he pulled over that cops "only kill black people." I saw the Trumpsters saying the cop was "being sarcastic" on that one, but with the lack of truly good cops coming forward to call out their fellow officers, I think his comments can be taken at face value. /rant

Pensions need to be 'on the block' as well.

Get convicted of misconduct, and the FIRST $$ paid out in compensation comes from YOUR pension AND fractional amounts of pensions of superiors or anyone else involved. You want to protect YOUR pension as a police chief or sheriff, then you'd damned well better have control of your department....and be ready to get rid of the 'problems' before they cost YOU money.

I've given blood to the ME's office (medical examiner) many times. I've also given lab results and testified if court. They need to get a court order. Once the local authorities know the contact people usually the court orders are faxed. The blood would be picked up while lab results were faxed.

I've had impostures ask for blood and results but they are each to spot if you look. The impostures were never lucky fortunately.

i thought one must be a corpse to "donate" blood at the coroners office?

Pensions need to be 'on the block' as well.

Get convicted of misconduct, and the FIRST $$ paid out in compensation comes from YOUR pension AND fractional amounts of pensions of superiors or anyone else involved. You want to protect YOUR pension as a police chief or sheriff, then you'd damned well better have control of your department....and be ready to get rid of the 'problems' before they cost YOU money.

100% agreed.

It's time police officers and departments are finally held accountable.

This dude should be fired along with his supv.

I do have question. Was he trying to get the blood from the guy in the truck? I know those rules and regulations are different and handled by the feds.

If a truck driver is in an accident are they required by law to give blood sample?

This dude should be fired along with his supv.

I do have question. Was he trying to get the blood from the guy in the truck? I know those rules and regulations are different and handled by the feds.

If a truck driver is in an accident are they required by law to give blood sample?

I'm not fully clear on the background details, but it's implied that the other driver in the accident died on scene and was suspected of the DUI; the truck driver was not suspected, and the LEO may have been wanting to verify he was not also drinking.

Whatever his motivations, the LEO was WAY out of bounds on this, and judging by the reactions of the other officers, he was the senior guy and they were intimidated and trying to stay out of the way. It's apparent this officer probably acts belligerently most of the time and others just tolerate it.

No, it is not. They KNEW they needed the warrant.

Penalties for willful abuse of power need to hold some bite.
None of this "suspended, with pay" bullshit.

You have clear evidence of misconduct, you get suspended WITHOUT pay. Pay is 'accrued' and you get it back in full, with interest, if you are found to have not acted inappropriately. But if misconduct is determined, you lose: all 'accrued back pay' during the investigation that was withheld, you lose ALL pension (100% of it), you lose you job and you are listed as NEVER HIRE for any police precinct in America.

Oh, AND you're not eligible for unemployment benefits or ANY local/federal benefits for 5 years.

Stop making taxpayers financially accountable for this crap.

I'd go even farther and charge him with a crime. To that point, why did security just stand around and let this dirtbag cop bully their employee? Aren't they there to protect hospital employees from criminal harm?

I'd go even farther and charge him with a crime. To that point, why did security just stand around and let this dirtbag cop bully their employee? Aren't they there to protect hospital employees from criminal harm?
My answer to the question you posed is that at some point in time in this country the police and a large percentage of our citizens have came to believe that the police can tell you to anything they want and you have to obey. If you don't obey, you face arrest, incarceration or even worse death. If being a police officer is too hard or dangerous for you find a new profession. The power that we as a society have given police is needed but at the same time with that power should come strict and powerful oversight.

My answer to the question you posed is that at some point in time in this country the police and a large percentage of our citizens have came to believe that the police can tell you to anything they want and you have to obey. If you don't obey, you face arrest, incarceration or even worse death. If being a police officer is too hard or dangerous for you find a new profession. The power that we as a society have given police is needed but at the same time with that power should come strict and powerful oversight.

Exactly. From 2014, but relevant as ever in the same week we see this Utah video, the Georgia cop telling the white lady cops "only kill black people," and Jeff Sessions and President Stupid call for the re-militarization of local polices forces.

Bill Maher asks the question: When did the police go from this:

rAL8P-1481737023-104-show-940x370-App-AndyGriffith.jpg

to this:

armored%20cops.jpg

"In the 90's, Conservatives used to warn about 'jack booted government thugs' coming to take away our freedom. But where are those Conservatives today when we need them?"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT