ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles

It's not limited to girls and it's not limited to gymnastics. It's the Olympics. They are on the world stage. Every single one of those athletes have pressure and face obstacles.

Did I say anything different?

I think women's gymnastics is a lot worse than any other Olympic sport.

Reactions: UI2390
She lost her focus and wasn’t mentally there. She withdrew from the competition.

Go try her uneven bars routine right now. I’ll watch.
This kind of argument is always so silly.

I don't want to bag on the girl but she was "stressed". You know who else was stressed? The Capitol Police on January 6.

Reactions: ghost80
This kind of argument is always so silly.

I don't want to bag on the girl but she was "stressed". You know who else was stressed? The Capitol Police on January 6.
My point was that it’s incredibly dangerous. Attempting it would be stupid for someone who isn’t 100% capable and into it. Gymnastics is an extreme sport masquerading as an artistic event.

Look, the only negative outcome is she let her teammates down, the question is if she could have regathered herself could have the USA won gold - I'm not sure. Chalk this up to another covid casualty. Her support system isn't there like every other tournament she has gone to. It is what it is. The question is will she participate in individuals or ride off into the sunset. Still the greatest american gymnast of all time. She had that wrapped up long before this olympics.

How many pitchers find themselves on the mound without their best stuff and how many find a way to battle through it? You can find countless examples of people competing and excelling in situations where they easily could have walked away. She may be the most decorated gymnast in history but this will tarnish her GOAT legacy quite a bit and, IMO, she will regret this decision for the rest of her life.

How many pitchers find themselves on the mound without their best stuff and how many find a way to battle through it? You can find countless examples of people competing and excelling in situations where they easily could have walked away. She may be the most decorated gymnast in history but this will tarnish her GOAT legacy quite a bit and, IMO, she will regret this decision for the rest of her life.
Pitchers can't cripple themselves or die if they throw a curveball wrong. How many times does this need to be repeated before it sinks in?

..and now she just piled even more pressure on herself for the individual.

Karma. The goat talked the talk....now she has to walk the walk.
You don't think she has already proven to be the goat. .
Pitchers skip starts when they don’t feel right all the time. Shit, I know MLB players that missed starts because they were up to their eye balls on coke and X. She had an alternate. She felt that the best way for the US to win gold was to withdraw and let the alternate take over. This entire thing is silly

Pitchers can't cripple themselves or die if they throw a curveball wrong. How many times does this need to be repeated before it sinks in?
Uhhhh..... yes they can..... I'mwilling to bet I can find more people that have been hurt/killed from an injury throwing a pitch or getting a line drive back in the face than that article you present of a handful of deaths over 40+ years. I would rather land wrong and break my ankle than shred the ligaments in my elbow/shoulder any ****ing day.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
One of my hobbies puts me in positions that are physically and mentally demanding. A slip up in either could result in injury up to and including death. Over the years I’ve had success and failures - a couple of the failures can be attributed to just not “feeling it” the day of the event. One in particular was after months of training and years of practicing certain skills - but I just couldn’t get my head in the right place that day.

My point is - even though my situation is not on a scale even remotely close to what SB is dealing with - I can 100% understand and empathize with her. I can’t imagine having the weight of the world hanging over you. My situation involved only a few friends and family members knowing what I was attempting and it was still a massive personal disappointment. What she did to make this call is probably the hardest thing she’s ever done in her life and I guarantee she’ll second guess (and probably regret it) forever. But it was the right call.

She did try, and she was off. How many pitchers are pulled when it’s obvious they don’t have their stuff?

Look the debate can be had, even still without being in her shoes it is difficult to judge what mentally she was going through. I am slightly surprised being as old and as decorated as she has been she did seem to crumbled, but this isn't normal circumstances or a normal Olympics. I am more than willing to give her a pass. Not sure how much it will tarnish her legacy still the greatest of all time. Michael Phelps had a DUI. So what. Now if she comes out and gets gold what will you say. The question will remain if she continued would the Americans have done better or worse than what they did? Its an open debate. She may have actually helped the team by stepping down. But I doubt you have considered that, there are just as many pitchers who didn't have their stuff and imploded as well - more so than those that fought through it - but don't forget those pitchers can always be relieved, be put on the disabled list or skip a start because they are having some arm fatigue.

Come on, the girl has been training non stop for 21 years and has pushed the sport further than anyone else in history and has been dominate for almost a decade. But she decides she's not in the right place to compete for one event and yahoos on the internet call her soft. It's comical
Well, the insanity of all that is all the training and competing and this moment, her final Olympics, after everything she's done and been through, she pulls the plug.

Gymnasts are tough as hell, so she's not soft. I don't know what the heck is going on with her.

Look the debate can be had, even still without being in her shoes it is difficult to judge what mentally she was going through. I am slightly surprised being as old and as decorated as she has been she did seem to crumbled, but this isn't normal circumstances or a normal Olympics. I am more than willing to give her a pass. Not sure how much it will tarnish her legacy still the greatest of all time. Michael Phelps had a DUI. So what. Now if she comes out and gets gold what will you say. The question will remain if she continued would the Americans have done better or worse than what they did? Its an open debate. She may have actually helped the team by stepping down. But I doubt you have considered that, there are just as many pitchers who didn't have their stuff and imploded as well - more so than those that fought through it - but don't forget those pitchers can always be relieved, be put on the disabled list or skip a start because they are having some arm fatigue.
She didn't have her best in qualifying either but she was still the best in the competition by a pretty large margin.

Well, the insanity of all that is all the training and competing and this moment, her final Olympics, after everything she's done and been through, she pulls the plug.

Gymnasts are tough as hell, so she's not soft. I don't know what the heck is going on with her.
That's the first smart thing I've seen posted here today.

Reactions: mnole03
Yeah, I said that because she has already demonstrated that she is tough as nails, delivers under pressure, and is the best. It's just crazy that she folds at that precise time. Elite athletes like her normally get to that level because they feed off the pressure. Hell, they need the pressure or have to make up crap to motivate them if there isn't enough motivation or pressure.

.....I feel sorry for her competitors......not at all for her. If she knew something was off and decided to just pull out and not have an off performance in some ways she stole a victory from her competitors.

It would have shown poise and grace to congratulate the winners and not make any excuses just like Ledecky did after losing the 400. That is one woman who knows how to win AND lose like a champion. People should be proud of her for how she carried herself in the loss of a race she was expected to win.

1) Ledecky was not expected to win the 400. She's expected to win the 800 and 1500 but the Australian was the world champion in 2019 in the 400 and favored again this year. Not exactly sure what Simone did today that shows a lack of sportsmanship or grace; she did what was best for her and the United States Women's Gymnastics team. I don't follow the logic in the idea of going out and losing a medal and risking injury to show respect to the competition. We're here to win.
2) Damned if you do, Damned if you don't for Simone. If she goes back out and lays an absolute egg it may cost the US a medal. She's earned the right to let the rest of us know when she doesn't have IT and we should show her the respect she's earned and accept it. She's unquestionably the most talented female gymnast of all time. What Simone can do has never been seen before and it may be awhile until we see another like her. I have fallen in love with the sport as my daughter was very active in it and was really saddened to hear of Simone pulling out, but she knows better than anyone what she can and can't do and she really shouldn't be questioned in it, again she's earned that.

Gymnastics is one of the toughest sports I've seen. It's right there with Wrestling in my eyes. It's just you. No one to rely on. The amount of work needed to be at the top is ridiculous. They have absolutely no life. My daughter finished 2nd in tumbling at Nationals in 2017 and the amount of work just that one skill set took was so hard on her body and mentally exhausting. To be at the top in all events amazes me. All they do is practice. Every single day, all day. My daughter quit in 2019 as it just became work.

Hope she kicks ass Thursday and quiets those who question her. She's a fuging beast.

Last edited:
From Amanda Goodwin's Facebook:

Dear Simone Biles,

Thank you.

Thank you for showing the world that it’s okay to walk away when things get too heavy.

Thank you for showing the world that taking care of ourselves is far more important than living up to other people’s expectations of us.

Thank you for admitting that life in the glass fish bowl is hard.

Thank you for showing the world that when it comes to doing what’s best for us...we don’t need to explain.

You’re one of the greats.

Both on the mat and off.

Signed,
A woman tired of the glass fish bowl

Pitchers can't cripple themselves or die if they throw a curveball wrong.
Zumaya1_medium.gif

But I doubt you have considered that, there are just as many pitchers who didn't have their stuff and imploded as well - more so than those that fought through it - but don't forget those pitchers can always be relieved, be put on the disabled list or skip a start because they are having some arm fatigue.
But few remvoe themselves from the competition. That's the difference. Simone just got up and walked off.

The truth of the matter is if this was any other event and the competitor decided that they weren't in the right place to risk their life people would applaud them. But because a large portion of Americans somehow feel that during the Olympics the athletes owe them something somehow this is going to be a big deal. More so because it's a woman. Say what you will but this is fact.
The truth is that this just a job and everyone has the right to take a day if they think it's not safe no matter who at home won't get to check another mark on their scorecards.

The truth of the matter is if this was any other event and the competitor decided that they weren't in the right place to risk their life people would applaud them. But because a large portion of Americans somehow feel that during the Olympics the athletes owe them something somehow this is going to be a big deal. More so because it's a woman. Say what you will but this is fact.
The truth is that this just a job and everyone has the right to take a day if they think it's not safe no matter who at home won't get to check another mark on their scorecards.
Wait you think if Lebron or Brady walked off after the first quarter people would be sticking up for them? Really?
The fact of the matter is Biles, who most(including herself) consider the greatest of all time quit in the middle of her sports most important competition. It is on the level of the someone quitting in the middle of the Finals or the Super Bowl. Not saying she was wrong for doing so, but you have to understand why she is getting criticism and it can’t be the silly, “it’s because she is a woman” routine that many like yourself are accustomed to saying whenever a person who you like gets criticized.

I know you’re a moron, but lebron can’t kill himself by being off with his timing by a fraction of a second.
That’s not what I said but good work with personal attacks. Typical for someone like you.
You said she is getting criticized because she is a woman. Do you think if a male athlete did the same thing she did that they would not be criticized?
And if that is your argument that she didn’t wAnt to risk her life because she got the yips then it’s fair to see she choked when the pressure was at its highest if she couldn’t perform when it mattered most.

That’s not what I said but good work with personal attacks. Typical for someone like you.
You said she is getting criticized because she is a woman. Do you think if a male athlete did the same thing she did that they would not be criticized?
I said if she was male and it wasn’t the Olympics. Try to read all the words. Sound them out if you have to. Ask a grown up to help you with the big ones.

Wait you think if Lebron or Brady walked off after the first quarter people would be sticking up for them? Really?
The fact of the matter is Biles, who most(including herself) consider the greatest of all time quit in the middle of her sports most important competition. It is on the level of the someone quitting in the middle of the Finals or the Super Bowl. Not saying she was wrong for doing so, but you have to understand why she is getting criticism and it can’t be the silly, “it’s because she is a woman” routine that many like yourself are accustomed to saying whenever a person who you like gets criticized.
LeBron did take the 4th quarter off in game 6 vs the Mavs in 2011 and some still make a case he's the greatest.

There's a big difference in having an off night on the court and having a mental block in gymnastics. She wasn't getting over it and may not by Thursday unfortunately. She did the unselfish thing and pulled herself. She stays out there they likely aren't getting a medal. I'll be pulling for her.

Reactions: 3boysmom
You can keep going back and adding more to your posts after I respond to them but you’re still a moron.

I said if she was male and it wasn’t the Olympics. Try to read all the words. Sound them out if you have to. Ask a grown up to help you with the big ones.
So the question stands Tom
Brady quits after quarter one of the Super Bowl because he is having a mental Issue of holding onto the ball to long and is getting decked by the the dline over and over again. He tells the coach to take him out because he mentally and physically can’t do it. You don’t think he would receive criticism?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
LeBron did take the 4th quarter off in game 6 vs the Mavs in 2011 and some still make a case he's the greatest.

There's a big difference in having an off night on the court and having a mental block in gymnastics. She wasn't getting over it and may not by Thursday unfortunately. She did the unselfish thing and pulled herself. She stays out there they likely aren't getting a medal. I'll be pulling for her.
Haha and you don’t think Lebron is criticized for his performance in that Finals?

I’m ok with Biles doing that if she felt unsafe but that’s not the point @Belem is making. He is saying a male athlete in another sport would be applauded for doing what she did but because she is a woman and it’s theOlympics she gets blasted. My argument is any athlete that claims to be GOAT is going to receive criticism when they don’t perform at GOAT levels no matter what the case may be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT