ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles

So the question stands Tom
Brady quits after quarter one of the Super Bowl because he is having a mental Issue of holding onto the ball to long and is getting decked by the the dline over and over again. He tells the coach to take him out because he mentally and physically can’t do it. You don’t think he would receive criticism?
If he was getting pummeled people would be screaming for the coach to pull him.

You can keep going back and adding more to your posts after I respond to them but you’re still a moron.
Again you have gone three consecutive posts with a junior high level personal attack without answering the question.

1) The US team finished in the same spot they were in after the qualifying rounds. So it’s not like they were dominating and her leaving meant they put up zeros in her place.
2) If she competed it’s not a guarantee she scores better than her replacement.
3) Her mental issue was a focus issue that endangered her well being. For all we know she may have been fighting this for days and it was worse today. If you watched the qualifying round you’d remember that she wasn’t sharp then.
4) no one has a right to be more upset than her teammates and they aren’t upset. And she does not owe her teammates a gold medal.

1) The US team finished in the same spot they were in after the qualifying rounds. So it’s not like they were dominating and her leaving meant they put up zeros in her place.
3) Her mental issue was a focus issue that endangered her well being. For all we know she may have been fighting this for days and it was worse today. If you watched the qualifying round you’d remember that she wasn’t sharp then.
4) no one has a right to be more upset than her teammates and they aren’t upset. And she does not owe her teammates a gold medal.
All good points.

She was supposed to do an Amanar on vault and got lost in the air but somehow managed to land an abbreviated vault. She left after that. If you don’t know where you are in the air you’re going to hurt yourself. Why she’s lost and how/when she sorts it out is something she has to figure out herself. But pressing on for our entertainment should not even be discussed.

Says the guy with 12,500+ posts on an internet message board. I kid, I kid. But it is a bit rich for any of us regular posters on this board to be condescending to others about productive use of time.
My bad, I’ll interrupt my vacation more next time to keep up with useless to me knowledge.

If Tom Brady was getting pummeled in the Super Bowl they’d criticize him for holding on too long.
Of course they would. Belem believes Biles is getting criticized only because she is a woman and it’s the Olympics. That is absurd.

“…. I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

"I can't feel my leg," Strug told Karolyi.

"We got to go one more time," Karolyi said. "Shake it out."

"Do I have to do this again?" Strug asked.

"Can you, can you?" Karolyi wanted to know.

"I don't know yet," said Strug. "I will do it. I will, I will."

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach, Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.

"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering:

*She shouldn't have jumped again*

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health.

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out."

The subtext here is: "Our gold medal is more important than your well-being."

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!
Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out."

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.”

“…. I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach, Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.

"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering:

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health.

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!
Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.”
What a feminist champion Belem is! This ol' boy really cares about women!

Belem we are still waiting for you to answer the question.

Belem we are still waiting for you to answer the question.
I answered it, you’re just too dumb to read. Btw, I don’t recall you calling out Kyrie Irving for taking time off for mental health.

This would be like Teen Wolf showing up to the championship game and deciding to only play as Michael J Fox! Whose gonna hit the big shot now? Francis from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure?

Reactions: RushProbst

In the words of Michael Jordan "they ain't won shit". Anybody listen to the disgust in Mia Hamms voice when we played for the draw against Australia? She ****ing hated that our side has lost the champions mentality.

Good gravy that is some revisionist shit.

A man can build 1000 houses in the town and screw 1 goat and everyone will call him a goat fuker.

in this situation, she will always be known as the athlete that quit. There will be a conversation 20 years from now in a bar in America where the Olympics are playing and some guy will ask his buddy who was that really good gymnast that quit that year.

A man can build 1000 houses in the town and screw 1 goat and everyone will call him a goat fuker.

in this situation, she will always be known as the athlete that quit. There will be a conversation 20 years from now in a bar in America where the Olympics are playing and some guy will ask his buddy who was that really good gymnast that quit that year.
Sheep is where it is at but understand in this case why you chose GOAT.

It is best that Biles pulled out of the individual too...an athlete who has lost their confidence is nothing. At least it is good that an alternate can take her place. The true shame would have been if her spot was wasted.

One only has to go to the top of this thread and read all the hype and idolization people dumped on her leading up to this shitshow. Congrats folk......you all had a hand in this epic failure that will effectively end her career and place a skidmark on her legacy. Hopefully there will be no more talk of calling people the GREATEST OF ALL TIME while they are still competing. Better to wait for them to finish so they don't start believing the hype and add more pressure onto themselves. Also prematurely calling someone the GOAT doesn't allow for their full career and actions to be taken into consideration. Gotta take the good along with the bad and this turd will be very much remembered... e$pecially when it comes to her marketing value.

Last edited:
I answered it, you’re just too dumb to read. Btw, I don’t recall you calling out Kyrie Irving for taking time off for mental health.
I didn’t call out Kyrie and I haven’t called out Simone. But people did criticize Kyrie(in fact way worse) just like they have Simone. That is something you said would not happen in other sports with a male. So thank you for proving yourself wrong.

Johnny cueto did it this year.
cureto.jpg

try agian

Anyone on a national stage who puts themselves over "us" is going to be criticized. But if you're criticizing Biles, remember that the next time you call in sick with a cold.

I am not calling out Simone Biles but it begs the question where do we draw the line. It's like the 2 employees who both wake up with a hangover. One calls in "sick". The other toughs it out. Is one mentally tougher than the other? Probably. Was one raised to "suck it up buttercup" the other received a participation ribbon so no ones feelings got hurt? When does your feelings override your "Nah I just do not feel like it".

How many pitchers find themselves on the mound without their best stuff and how many find a way to battle through it? You can find countless examples of people competing and excelling in situations where they easily could have walked away. She may be the most decorated gymnast in history but this will tarnish her GOAT legacy quite a bit and, IMO, she will regret this decision for the rest of her life.

It depends. If she comes back and wins multiple golds on individual events then we will craft a story about how she overcame adversity.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelbybirth
It depends. If she comes back and wins multiple golds on individual events then we will craft a story about how she overcame adversity.
This. She was way off the mark and it was getting worse. She had "crash and burn" written all over her performances. Hopefully, she can regain her focus and compete for her own sake. She doesn't owe me or anyone else a thing.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Anyone on a national stage who puts themselves over "us" is going to be criticized. But if you're criticizing Biles, remember that the next time you call in sick with a cold.
Horrible analogy.

it would be like the best Lawyer in the law firm, who has argued and won several cases in front of the Supreme court, is once again working on a huge case that is set to go in-front of the SCOTUS. The day of the hearing the lawyer calls his boss and says "sorry, I need a mental health day".

In my little meaningless work scenario, if my sales rep was set to handle a huge presentation for the branch and decided they couldnt handle it the day of the presentation, that would be the end of that person's reputation.

She quit the individual too

She pulled out of the individual "all-around." She still might participate in the competitions for single events (i.e. floor, bars, vault...).

But right now, I doubt it.

I have only sympathy for her. She's worked her ass off her whole life for this; I'm sure she is incredibly disappointed and will likely feel that way the rest of her life.

Sheep is where it is at but understand in this case why you chose GOAT.

It is best that Biles pulled out of the individual too...an athlete who has lost their confidence is nothing. At least it is good that an alternate can take her place. The true shame would have been if her spot was wasted.

One only has to go to the top of this thread and read all the hype and idolization people dumped on her leading up to this shitshow. Congrats folk......you all had a hand in this epic failure that will effectively end her career and place a skidmark on her legacy. Hopefully there will be no more talk of calling people the GREATEST OF ALL TIME while they are still competing. Better to wait for them to finish so they don't start believing the hype and add more pressure onto themselves. Also prematurely calling someone the GOAT doesn't allow for their full career and actions to be taken into consideration. Gotta take the good along with the bad and this turd will be very much remembered... e$pecially when it comes to her marketing value.

She is the GOAT
She's also not a disgrace like you called her earlier in this thread

Reactions: BelemNole
This whole issue goes back to the lack of acceptance for mental health.

everyone has had a sprained ankle so they can easily understand when an athletes drops out due to injury. Dealing with the pain is nearing impossible until the swelling has gone down, and even then you are unsure of trusting your body.

however not everyone has had to deal with anxiety or depression so when someone says they can’t compete due to their mental health their brain doesn’t have any understanding what that means.

everyone has had a sprained ankle so they can easily understand when an athletes drops out due to injury. Dealing with the pain is nearing impossible until the swelling has gone down, and even then you are unsure of trusting your body.

however not everyone has had to deal with anxiety or depression so when someone says they can’t compete due to their mental health their brain doesn’t have any understanding what that means.

Exactly this.

Reactions: nelly02

I would assume that the level of competition at the Olympics would weed out the folks that are not mentally strong enough to handle the pressure. If an athlete is experiencing those issues they should not be taking the spot on the Olympic team that another athlete will fill.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I just hope she isn't making the situation worse for herself by dropping out of the individual all-around and probably the individual events. She'll have to find a way to live with that decision for the rest of her life.

I just hope she isn't making the situation worse for herself by dropping out of the individual all-around and probably the individual events. She'll have to find a way to live with that decision for the rest of her life.

I really do hope she can get things right for the individual events. Her decisions and choices to this point (which as is stated earlier I fully support and believe it was the right call) will haunt her for the rest of her life. If she has to pull out completely, she’s going to have a whole different psychological challenge to deal with post-olympics. Getting things back together and competing in the individual events will give her something - a redemption story if you will - to anchor back to. She’ll likely still massively regret what happened to her team and the loss of the all around, but at least she’ll have something positive to look back to.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT