ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles

Did an alternate come in to finish the balance beam and floor exercise?

It's odd solely for the reason that it is not a regular occurrence. I tend to avoid doing a deep dive into someone's mental focus or lack thereof. She was extremely successful before and this Olympics the pressure caused her to lose her focus and make some very bad mistakes in her routines. Maybe it's age--no she is more self-aware of the pressures (pressure to win, to earn money for her and her family) when, before, she was just a kid and was just happy to be there. Maybe add in the strangeness of Covid protocols, isolation, etc. It all just crested as she was trying to perform an extremely difficult sport and she decided to withdraw.
Fair points. As I said, it just rubs me the wrong way. And I don't mean to sound like "just suck it up" but part of it is just that. I mean jackie robinson didn't just say OK I played 15 games I'm done now this is too tough. But part of me is like OMG you had trouble at your job or were frustrated, guess what so do the rest of us. We have a support group for it, it's called "the bar."

Reactions: WisestIowan
I would assume that the level of competition at the Olympics would weed out the folks that are not mentally strong enough to handle the pressure. If an athlete is experiencing those issues they should not be taking the spot on the Olympic team that another athlete will fill.
This is pure bullshit. The amount of pressure varies among athletes and running and many other factors. No one on these Olympics had more pressure than Simone Biles. The expectations for her are greater than any other athlete there. It appears those pressures caused a crack in her mental edge which destroyed her confidence and ability to perform. That likely exacerbates the pressure she feels and further damages her ability to perform. Continuing on and failing might be more than she can handle mentally. Good on her for recognizing that and trending to her psyche rather than the desires of others to watch her perform.

She didn't have to do the commercials and the promos and wear the GOAT leotard. She participated in the hype and then she quit. I don't feel sorry for her. I don't think she should be praised for being "brave". She quit. She doesn't want the pressure. Everybody just leave her alone. Somebody else will take her place and will do her best to win a medal.

I'm fine with Biles decision as it's her life and her decision. But don't tell me she's brave or this should be celebrated.
You're a ****ing disgrace.

Fair points. As I said, it just rubs me the wrong way. And I don't mean to sound like "just suck it up" but part of it is just that. I mean jackie robinson didn't just say OK I played 15 games I'm done now this is too tough. But part of me is like OMG you had trouble at your job or were frustrated, guess what so do the rest of us. We have a support group for it, it's called "the bar."
I would suggest that this is an example of mental fragility and not mental acuity.

Some of this just doesn't sit right. I'm sorry.

Healthy poeple don't have mental breakdowns randomly (assuming she's healthy and not a mental patient as she has yet to remove herself from any other competition ever). I know you don't agree, but it just doesn't sit right to do it in the middle of the competition. This wasn't a problem that just sprung up overnight. It was building. But, instead she took someone else's spot and then, possibly, cost her team. Sorry it just doesn't sit right for me.

I mean the Nassar stuff jsut seems odd. Yes she was abused. But he was charged years ago, sentenced years ago. Now, the issues related to it just completetly overwhelm her in the middle of this olympics? Why not a previous one. Its not a new issue. If COVID was problem and making it worse, she still could compete in the all the qualifying and other events, but not this one. It was just too much?

I'm all for metnal health discussions, I'm all for protecting mental health. But, the ole just be done in the middle of a two week event that is held every four years when you've shown no past issues, I'm sorry just doesn't sit right with me.
You simply don't get how pressure builds and can become overwhelming. I'm guessing most of you who are calling Biles out have never been in a pressure packed situation where your nerves are so on edge you don't know if you can perform.

Reactions: UI2390
You simply don't get how pressure builds and can become overwhelming. I'm guessing most of you who are calling Biles out have never been in a pressure packed situation where your nerves are so on edge you don't know if you can perform.
Have you been in one of those moments before?

Jackie Robinson seriously considered quitting.

Yeah I have no idea how pressure builds working in a high pressure environment at Broadway and Wall in NYC. Where one mistake can cost millions. No clue.

You're normally good, but if you're going to call me out at least be right.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
She's more celebrated because she's far, far more accomplished in her career. I'm not sure why you don't seem to understand that simple point.
I’m talking about their performance from yesterday. She is getting more praise for what she did than they are for what they did.

I would suggest that this is an example of mental fragility and not mental acuity.
(it was just a joke to say everybody has moments they hate their job and we get through it. Wethere its a signfciant others, meeting friends at the bar or kickboxing)

Wrong. Been there. In sports, but more importantly outside of sports when my future, my families future was on the line. And not just, get through this night and it will all be over, tomorrow is a new day. That's sports. No, dealing with the pressure over months and months and no way to escape it.

but he didn't....kinda the point
Not really, the point is great athletes often get to the breaking point. Jim Brown quit football at the height of his career. So did Barry Sanders. I think a going catcher who was doing very well quit recently as well.

This is pure bullshit. The amount of pressure varies among athletes and running and many other factors. No one on these Olympics had more pressure than Simone Biles. The expectations for her are greater than any other athlete there. It appears those pressures caused a crack in her mental edge which destroyed her confidence and ability to perform. That likely exacerbates the pressure she feels and further damages her ability to perform. Continuing on and failing might be more than she can handle mentally. Good on her for recognizing that and trending to her psyche rather than the desires of others to watch her perform.

I suppose some thought Michael Phelps should have been left at home.

What high pressure
Situations have you been in that you can lend us losers your expert opinion on?
Tennis championship matches, pitching baseball championship games, golf championship matches. All of them there was tremendous anxiety that grew depending on the situation. Some were overcome successfully, others weren't.

It's a lot easier watching from the couch.

Yeah I have no idea how pressure builds working in a high pressure environment at Broadway and Wall in NYC. Where one mistake can cost millions. No clue.

You're normally good, but if you're going to call me out at least be right.
Apparently I am if that's your comparison. Weak sauce there.

I’m talking about their performance from yesterday. She is getting more praise for what she did than they are for what they did.
She's more celebrated because she's far, far more accomplished in her career. I'm not sure why you don't seem to understand that simple point.

I totally agree. I am not going to debate the mental health thing because I am sure we can all agree it's an issue for many people at least once in their lives and it's very serious. However... if, as an example, Lebron (who I don't like), started game 7 of the finals 0-7 from the field with a 0/0/0/0 stat line and just said "I quit. the pressure it too much and I am mentally fatigued" everyone would CRUSIFY him (myself included).

How is this different?

• Haha
Wrong. Been there. In sports, but more importantly outside of sports when my future, my families future was on the line. And not just, get through this night and it will all be over, tomorrow is a new day. That's sports. No, dealing with the pressure over months and months and no way to escape it.
If you want to try to equate that, fine, but that's very, very common to most in business and is far different, imo. There's no spotlight on you forcing you to perform at your best at that moment. Sure there's anxiety in that, but you often have others to share the pressure with. This type of pressure is far different.

No offense but it's not just about others desire to see her perform. There are hundreds of elite gymnasts who would kill to get the opportunity to compete in the Olympics. I'm not blaming Biles for her decision and certainly not for her mental state but I do find it selfish that she pulls out at the 11th hour. The U.S. team wouldn't be as good with a substitute for Biles but it would be better that having one less gymnast at the final hour plus there is a gymnast who didn't make the team who didn't get a chance to compete because Biles said she was ready. Biles must have had symptoms prior to this week.

No offense but it's not just about others desire to see her perform. There are hundreds of elite gymnasts who would kill to get the opportunity to compete in the Olympics. I'm not blaming Biles for her decision and certainly not for her mental state but I do find it selfish that she pulls out at the 11th hour. The U.S. team wouldn't be as good with a substitute for Biles but it would be better that having one less gymnast at the final hour plus there is a gymnast who didn't make the team who didn't get a chance to compete because Biles said she was ready. Biles must have had symptoms prior to this week.
That's why they have alternates.

As I understand that may be the case, but it just seems odd. Like she was able to suck it all up for months and years and then Kablam-o in the middle of the olympics is like "nope." It just rubs me the wrong way, maybe its the tennis person and the fear that this will become more common the whole, I need a break cause its stressful thing.
You do understand that the pressure in Tokyo is like no other, right. There was zero pressure at the trials...Biles was on the team. But in Tokyo she not only has to compete, she has to be transcendant. There's a straw that breaks every camel's back and the Olympics is a big f'n straw.

Apparently I am if that's your comparison. Weak sauce there.
Like you have any more Fing clue than the rest of us.

Get off your high horse, the fall is gonna hurt.

I have plenty of idea how pressure builds. So do a lot of medical experts. Every study says it just doesn't manifest itself, its not TV.

You do understand that the pressure in Tokyo is like no other, right. There was zero pressure at the trials...Biles was on the team. But in Tokyo she not only has to compete, she has to be transcendant. There's a straw that breaks every camel's back and the Olympics is a big f'n straw.
I could get that if it was her first olympics, maybe. But it isn't. And yes a straw breaks a camels back. But, there are warning signs or problems long before that. She competes a month ago, but now an olympics with nobody in the stands, in the middle, is too much? Not when she landed? Not when she was on the team plane? But in the middle of the competition?

I totally agree. I am not going to debate the mental health thing because I am sure we can all agree it's an issue for many people at least once in their lives and it's very serious. However... if, as an example, Lebron (who I don't like), started game 7 of the finals 0-7 from the field with a 0/0/0/0 stat line and just said "I quit. the pressure it too much and I am mentally fatigued" everyone would CRUSIFY him (myself included).

How is this different?
they would crucify you for not being able to spell words you put in bold.

That's why they have alternates.
and one less person had their dream come true.

(if she said two months ago, I can't do it an alternate would have gotten her spot and someone else the alernate spot).

And its like when guys sit out the bowl game. We crucify them around here. Whoever takes over for TJ cause he doesn't play so he can be drafted, sadly, by the Lions is less good. Same concept here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT