ADVERTISEMENT

So, does this game help or hinder Brian's job?

I have a really bad feeling that now that the Hawks will be going to a bowl game with yesterday's game, may have saved Brian's job. The Hawk offense reverted back to what it has most of this season (and last year, and the year before). They are winning by smoke and mirrors. I suppose some credit is due to the Hawk offense because they did score two touchdowns. But 176 yards or something like that! Really.
Yes the offense is bad, and needs attention, BUT its an incredible disservice to this team to say" they are winning by smoke and mirrors". Regardless what people think, there are three phases to college football, and Iowa is as good at TWO of those as anyone in college football. Period. There are a lot of teams that most certainly can not say that. Its frustrating, no doubt. But its no illusion, and its not smoke and mirrors......

If Proctor leaves that should send a message to the coaches that the long term damage of not having a competent offense will have a negative impact for years to come. We need more offensive bling to capture difference makers.

If Proctor leaves that should send a message to the coaches that the long term damage of not having a competent offense will have a negative impact for years to come. We need more offensive bling to capture difference makers.
Meh, for now I'm chalking this up to being much ado about nothing. Haven't heard a peep on the various podcasts i listen to about Proctor having second thoughts.

For, imo I think this is a kid choosing to take advantage of his paid-for official visits.

Meh, for now I'm chalking this up to being much ado about nothing. Haven't heard a peep on the various podcasts i listen to about Proctor having second thoughts.

For, imo I think this is a kid choosing to take advantage of his paid-for official visits.
Well you can't say it's nothing. By heading out there he's telling people that his recruitment is still open. Otherwise you don't make the trip.

I have a really bad feeling that now that the Hawks will be going to a bowl game with yesterday's game, may have saved Brian's job. The Hawk offense reverted back to what it has most of this season (and last year, and the year before). They are winning by smoke and mirrors. I suppose some credit is due to the Hawk offense because they did score two touchdowns. But 176 yards or something like that! Really.
Best statements of the day. “ cooper took a CPR course and brought the dummy to life “

So, does this game help or hinder Brian's job?​

Rhetorical question, "did anyone see anything resembling a cohesive offense?" versus Wisconsin. There were two positives, the offense didn't have any turnovers and the offense was able to take advantage of the short fields. Other than that the offense looked like it did at Ohio State. The offense continues to be an indictment of Brian's ability as a coordinator and didn't help him, actually it made things look worse.
Petras fumbled right before we got in field goal range for Wisconsin's first score.

I doubt it'll make a difference personally. They've made 2 stars work before and see no change to that.

Regardless of BF/GB future, there has to he a bigger dip in the Transfer Portal. Can't stick with what you got and hope it works by week 9.

Rose bowl, defense and iowa brings back a nightmare.
I don’t really see any major difference next year other than maybe the OL will improve with experience. I expect BF and the OL coach to be gone; but KF will replace them with 2 guys of similar ilk.

Being ranked #130 in Total Offense after the Badgers game should not save anyone’s job after finishing #123 last year.

I’m curious where these idiot savants you claim support Kirk unconditionally are? The number who think all is fine and dandy offensively has shrunk to almost zero at this point.
I’m curious where these idiot savants you claim support Kirk unconditionally are? The number who think all is fine and dandy offensively has shrunk to almost zero at this point.
Go to the The Lounge. It's full of them.

Who is going to take him? He has some racial issues hanging over him also doesn’t he?
Does he? Everything I've seen was that he can be a smug ASS at times, and I think many already knew that. What specifically did he do that makes him a racist?

Does he? Everything I've seen was that he can be a smug ASS at times, and I think many already knew that. What specifically did he do that makes him a racist?

He had very close ties with Doyle and still has that lawsuit hanging over him. Might make some teams leery of hiring him.

• Wow
Reactions: SBWarriorHawk
He had very close ties with Doyle and still has that lawsuit hanging over him. Might make some teams leery of hiring him.
I'm fully aware of the lawsuit. I'm asking what in there points to BF being anymore then a jerk to players, (as lots of NFL coaches are), and is actually racist?

Last edited:
Branda Walker " If Alabama fired their Offensive Coordinator and just let Bryce Young call plays, they'd win by 2TDs. O 'Brien is killing this team."

Yes the offense is bad, and needs attention, BUT its an incredible disservice to this team to say" they are winning by smoke and mirrors". Regardless what people think, there are three phases to college football, and Iowa is as good at TWO of those as anyone in college football. Period. There are a lot of teams that most certainly can not say that. Its frustrating, no doubt. But its no illusion, and its not smoke and mirrors......
This is 100% spot on, and its why I want BF fired but KF and Parker to stay.
Kirk is so close to having great teams. Will his pride prevent him from doing what's right for the team and program? We will see this winter.

Who is going to take him? He has some racial issues hanging over him also doesn’t he?
Totally aside from that issue, there seems to be an assumption that he's a good enough OL coach for some team to want him. I have seen no evidence that he is, or that they would.

• Wow
Reactions: HawkOn15
Are you kidding? Hawks won despite Brian, not because of him. The worst offensive teams in the country average 300 yards per game, and we had half of that.

If by " smoke and mirrors " you mean defense and special teams ( 2/3 of any team ) then you may have a point. Just keep working on improving, that's all that we can do at this point...

Yes, that is what I meant by smoke and mirrors. If you look at the offensive numbers alone one would draw a conclusion the Hawks would have a horrible record. But you throw in the defense and special teams that's where the games are being won. With this offense (and last years and the year before that) a casual observer would be stunned at the record.

Does anybody on this thread know what Iowa could have done differently against Wisconsin. Other teams with
similar talent have moved the ball against Wisconsin Since they kept coming around the end, Brian should have
developed a scheme maybe the T formation and run up the middle. The offensive line is unjustly critisized, as
their performance is largely dependent on the offensive coordinator developing better schemes. Petrus played
ok. No excuse for the scheme against Wisconsin.
There were at least 3 or 4 really stupid play calls. 3rd and one single back turn around and hand the ball off for -3 yards repeatedly. How many 3rd and 11 were there? Iowa doesn’t need top ten offense, but 128/131 is inept

Well back to 130th in total offense 251.1 yards a game, bf in no way should be involved with the offense next year unless demotion/re assign to o-line coach.

As long as Kirk is head coach Brian's job is guaranteed. Kirk will remain head coach until he is guaranteed that Brian gets the head coach job when Kirk retires. I don't know how to put it any more simply than that.

As long as Kirk is head coach Brian's job is guaranteed. Kirk will remain head coach until he is guaranteed that Brian gets the head coach job when Kirk retires. I don't know how to put it any more simply than that.
It won't happen now. It won't be Brian.

Smoke and Mirrors is accurate and has been for years. Average Total Offense rank over the last 6 years + ten games this year is #110.

Smoke and Mirrors is accurate and has been for years. Average Total Offense rank over the last 6 years + ten games this year is #110.
NO its not. I'm talking about WINNING games. That takes all three phases to win. Our offense may be crap BUT we are as good as literally any team in NCAA football on the other two, and have WON as many games as all but the top ten to 12 teams in the last decade. How is that smoke and mirrors? Everybody knows EXACTLY what Iowa is. It's not magic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT