ADVERTISEMENT

So now we know for sure.

“Moving the goalposts?”

hahahahahaha

what?

Fran McCaffery will never see the second weekend of the tourney without a ticket.

Not my fault. Enjoy the seasons.
I will.
Born and raised in Iowa City and have been fortunate enough to attend Iowa Football, Basketball games and Wrestling meets as far back as I can remember. I don't need a statistical lesson in futility from you.

This past season was disappointing in how it ended but was thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Personally, it falls right behind Lute Olson's 1979-80 team and Dr. Tom Davis 1986-87 team on pure entertainment value. Was alive but didn't witness Ralph Miller's 1969-70 squad. Father and older brothers would tell me that was the team.

I will look forward to watching the 2021-22 team evolve, enjoy it and cheer on the Hawks!

What do you think about the Hoiberg experiment so far?
I know you may not be asking me directly. I think it has not been good so far in terms of wins, but it does look as if he is getting the players now to make some noise. Not saying you have to like the approach, but it seems to me there is a likelihood that Nebraska Basketball will take some major steps forward in the next couple of years. And no I am not a Hoiberg fan-boy and I get a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of their football team sucking so badly.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
I can't believe he carried on like that for so long all because he is a complete idiot with zero reading comprehension skills

and he is a subscriber. I feel sorry for the people in the Lounge who have to put up with his nonsense and stupidity

Both of you are being absolutely ridiculous. From everything I've read he's right and the scholarship limit goes back to 13 after the 21-22 season. If you have a link proving otherwise I'd be curious to see it because right now I think it's extremely problematic.

• Love
Reactions: TrianglePlace
Michigan wasn't shit when Fran took over, they had 1 ncaa tourney between 1998 and 2011. Iowa isn't them because they had a coach who could recognize his weakness so they hired a defensive guru and moved the program forward with final 4's while Fran was doing what he's comfortable with and being a .500 bten coach who has accomplished very little that matters. Again, I do like the young guys but we lost so much production with Garza, Nunge, CJ, Weezy there was room to add more scoring and athletic potential at guard and still have playing time. The problem is Fran needs to save minutes for his son who doesn't really have a position and shouldn't be starting.

We watched ISU take the next step with transfers not too long ago and it's proving to be a skill today's coaches need to be elite. If being a bubble team is fine with everyone then Fran's approach is perfect. If he wants to improve to a program that is regularly in contention for the bten he needs to get the best players he can and the portal is the perfect opportunity. If this roster struggles then the criticism is warranted. If they make the sweet 16 i'll happily eat crow
ISU took a next step using the transfer portal? Seems like they are the worst program in the Big12 right now... Nebraska definitely is taking that next step. Heck they just signed a 5* because of the transfer portal. Cant wait to see how improved they are this year.

No one has ever read a comment from you that wasn't just flat out NASTY. I would never ever insult any reader or writer on any of these forums. This is called manners, something most of us learned from our teachers and parents around the second grade. GROW UP or go back to the second grade and learn something. Wait, you can't.
Some people carry that chip on their shoulder for life when they get relegated to the end of the bench.

I know you may not be asking me directly. I think it has not been good so far in terms of wins, but it does look as if he is getting the players now to make some noise. Not saying you have to like the approach, but it seems to me there is a likelihood that Nebraska Basketball will take some major steps forward in the next couple of years. And no I am not a Hoiberg fan-boy and I get a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of their football team sucking so badly.
Okay. So you think Hoiberg will catch lightning in a bottle again? LOL

Okay. So you think Hoiberg will catch lightning in a bottle again? LOL
Have you seen the players he has coming in? I mean generally the ratings for players work out, some rated high don't do that well, some rated low do very well (Murray at Iowa for example) but in general they are good predictors. I am not saying he is the greatest coach ever, seems good as an offensive coach not so good on the defense side, but I think he is a good coach and now has good players coming in. I am not sure what lightning in a bottle refers to but having a good coach with good players typically leads to wins. I think in two years they win a game in the NCAA tournament, which would be a improvement at Nebraska.

He probably should have been fired in ‘17.
So you want to be one of those schools that fires the coach after his ONE losing season (and yes, I know he didn't win a lot with Lickliter's boys)? You know how attractive that is to other coaches that are thinking about making a change? Such entitlement and so out of place at a school like Iowa. There are a lot of schools in the B1G that would have loved to have McCaffery's records and changed coaches numerous times during his tenure. This doesn't mean I am totally satisfied with where the program is, but I am a realist. As we've seen, things could be worse.

Have you seen the players he has coming in? I mean generally the ratings for players work out, some rated high don't do that well, some rated low do very well (Murray at Iowa for example) but in general they are good predictors. I am not saying he is the greatest coach ever, seems good as an offensive coach not so good on the defense side, but I think he is a good coach and now has good players coming in. I am not sure what lightning in a bottle refers to but having a good coach with good players typically leads to wins. I think in two years they win a game in the NCAA tournament, which would be a improvement at Nebraska.
He had some luck at IA State. No where else.

He had some luck at IA State. No where else.
Yes he had a good run at ISU, maybe he wasn’t cut out for the NBA and also the Bulls seem to have some management issues. Nebraska was not good when he got there and he hasn’t done much since being there but now that he is getting better players and I think they will be decent. So good at ISU, bad at the Bulls, Nebraska yet to be determined; but if I was a Husker fan (I’m not) I would be optimistic.

Yes he had a good run at ISU, maybe he wasn’t cut out for the NBA and also the Bulls seem to have some management issues. Nebraska was not good when he got there and he hasn’t done much since being there but now that he is getting better players and I think they will be decent. So good at ISU, bad at the Bulls, Nebraska yet to be determined; but if I was a Husker fan (I’m not) I would be optimistic.
He supposedly had the makings of a good team last year, too. They were horrible and from the looks of it, very poorly coached. Hell, their best player quit the team in March but stayed in school. Facepalm to Freddy.

He supposedly had the makings of a good team last year, too. They were horrible and from the looks of it, very poorly coached. Hell, their best player quit the team in March but stayed in school. Facepalm to Freddy.
If you're talking about Teddy Allen he just transferred to his 5th school. I believe the kid has some issues, Fred was always willing to take a risk on those types of transfers, sometimes they don't work out. I wouldn't say anybody expected them to have a good team last year, maybe better than they ended up being but now if I read correctly they have 2 five star recruits coming in and some other good players. Like I said I'm not a Fred fan-boy and I really have no love for Nebraska, I just think they will be decent next year and good the following, if not I will say you were correct.

Reactions: BBHawk
All the personal attacks don't really matter to the substance of the issue.

Iowa can do one of three things: (1) Fire McC. We could reasonably expect the immediate loss of several players if this happens. Probably both McCs, probably both Murrays, probably Riley Mulvey, Filip and probably Ahron. That almost guarantees at least a couple of rebuild seasons. Remember, we're Iowa, not Iowa St., Nebraska or somewhere Huggy Bear coaches. The Iowa Administration does not allow the kind of work arounds to admit citizenship or academically marginal kids. Don't waste time with Anthony Hubbard-he was kicked out of Iowa long before basketball season started, and McC's goodwill to gamble on a marginal kid went with him. Also, this new coach will be still selling the same facilities, the lack of penthouse living for varsity athletes, and all the opulence and splendor of a Blue Blood. Firing McC right now is non starter. Think now and then the preceding 11 seasons and decide which your prefer, because statistically that is the far more likely outcome.

(2) Pressure McC to fire an existing assistant and higher a younger guy for recruiting purposes. Not an insane idea. I don't know if that is doable without losing McC. As it is we've got two assistants at retirement age. Maybe find a guy known for defense that can teach defense. If it means losing McC then this is non starter but if Kirk or Sherm want to kick back and focus on reducing their handicaps...

(3) Support the BBall program with more money directed to Men's BBall. Let the U know that you want better athletic facilities, maybe a new penthouse style dorm and hire more "consultants" to help with recruiting. Everyone else has AAU coaches on their payroll, why not Iowa? Of course, see para one above about legal but sleezy shit the U won't do. Basically bribing AAU coaches is probably not going to sell well with the Wokie Wokes that already decry men's sports as the physical embodiment of toxic male patriarchy, and those are the real decision makers at Iowa. I'm sure the curriculum could be enhanced by 6 or 8 more four hour phy ed classes that have physical performance related finals so the students don't really have to do anything but train for their respective sports-and get maybe another 32 hours of A to balance against the classes where college level reading, math and speaking skills are required. Completely legal and might keep some marginal students eligible and at least in an academic environment from which they will derive some educational benefit. If you want to see "institutional will" this is what the school needs to hear from you. Cuz that is the deplorably shitty state of big dollar major college sports.

Now me, I favor all of the above and anything else that the NCAA and prevailing laws permits. The winging and constant complaining can only hurt, belittling the coaches, ridiculing the players, escalating every mistake into a career defining moment of incompetence are exactly kinds of things recruits are not seeking in a college environment. They may not read all this negativity shit so it may not matter but why risk it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT