ADVERTISEMENT

So....school reopening is going well...

No. Just keep doing what we’ve been doing. Slowly continue to reopen (like we did with businesses, restaurants and now schools). Then evaluate and reassess.
But, things are currently under control enough to take the next step forward. At least around here.
But transmission rates are increasing in several states. Honestly it's a case by case basis. Urban areas especially are an extremely tough call. Like others have pointed out once u let the horse out the damage is done.
Milwaukee Public Schools is 80000 students that's why it's a staged open. And the locals actually get local control.

Reactions: noleclone2
Completely agree. It should be done on a case by case basis. And locals should typically have control of those decisions.
I don’t think Reynolds has handled this well. But, I do think the numbers support allowing kids back in school if their parents choose to send them. At least throughout most of Iowa.
The risk is low.

Completely agree. It should be done on a case by case basis. And locals should typically have control of those decisions.
I don’t think Reynolds has handled this well. But, I do think the numbers support allowing kids back in school if their parents choose to send them. At least throughout most of Iowa.
The risk is low.
But nobody lives in Iowa :). Des Moines and Iowa City aren't Brooklyn, Eddyville, or Lyon

Uhhh, you realize the bigger issue is the risk to teachers and faculty? Not to mention what the kids will be bringing back to parents and grandparents.

You get that, right?

I do. Similar risk to everybody going to work each day and coming home to their family.
Except kids have a lower rate of positivity than most of the workforce. So, probably technically safer.

I do. Similar risk to everybody going to work each day and coming home to their family.
Except kids have a lower rate of positivity than most of the workforce. So, probably technically safer.

You're actually comparing hundreds of kids invading one building, all of whom are no doubt the most conscientious observers of sanitation and social distancing, to adults returning to work? And your asserting the adults are at greater risk to spread COVID to their families. That's your argument?

Those are the case numbers. 5% age 0-17. It was around 45% for age 40-65, I’d have to recheck that number, but it’s close.
I’d imagine that 5% will rise. But, not to reach the working age numbers. So, it’s more dangerous working at most other jobs.

He was unfortunately one of the very few in Johnson Country to pass away from this.
And, he didn’t catch it at school.

Not a hoax. It’s a virus that can be dangerous for the sick and old. They should take careful precautions. We all should. But, most people are not at significant risk to an illness they are unlikely to contract, and very likely to overcome if they do.

What is the basis for your opinion that the people are "unlikely to contract [the virus]." The studies I have seen is that the mutated European virus is extremely transmittable.

No. Just keep doing what we’ve been doing. Slowly continue to reopen (like we did with businesses, restaurants and now schools). Then evaluate and reassess.
But, things are currently under control enough to take the next step forward. At least around here.
Things are NOT under control. Trump and alot of entitled Americans screwed this up big time. Our local health expert says we need to shut down and do a reset because this is a mess. That and to "vote the bastards out".

Reactions: unIowa and h-hawk
Those are the case numbers. 5% age 0-17. It was around 45% for age 40-65, I’d have to recheck that number, but it’s close.
I’d imagine that 5% will rise. But, not to reach the working age numbers. So, it’s more dangerous working at most other jobs.
Bullshit. You are going to be wrong about this. I hope I can come on here in 3 months and apologize because of your Covid wisdom...but anybody with common sense knows this is going to explode when we open up schools, even at 50 percent. This is going to be Russian Roulette with peoples' lives.

Reactions: unIowa
You could get a little creative, but yeah, I’d be worried if I was a “specials” teacher.
I'm not. I think we can make a lot of it work. We made a lot of cool stuff in the spring. It doesn't matter anyway, I will be on site teaching. R and B just wants teachers to lose their jobs to save his tax dollars.

Of the people who have symptoms, and who think “I might have it! I should get tested!”
Guess how many actually test positive?
About 8%.

Of people with covid symptoms. Who think they have it. 8% positive.
Of that 8%, 5% were 0-17 years old. zero deaths.

Time to accept the low risk and start to begin productive life again.
This is incorrect.

I think, so long as schools in Iowa are in "onsite session", every school should send a class on a field trip to tour the Capitol in Iowa and Reynolds should shake every kid's hand in a small room....

Maybe they should hold class at a protest or a funeral for Dems. Then you’d be defending the openings.

Let's assume herd immunity is 50 % just for easy math. 350 million humans in this country. So 175 million must be infected. 1 % fatality rate 1.75 million corpses correct. Then we have the number of recovered that have long term illnesses due to Cornavirus. Can the healthcare system handle that without collapsing?

Your math is off. This has a 99% survivability rate.

The risk is low.
Reynolds isn’t because Trump has put the pressure on her to open things up. She did well the first month or so...that month or two, she has failed.

Tell that to the families of the people who are going to die because we opened up schools instead of doing it slowly.
No evidence that if that happens it was due to school openings. Couldn’t these people have gotten COVID anyway or from someone else? I mean in my area schooos are still closed yet people still dying. How can this be?

Reactions: Pinehawk
No evidence that if that happens it was due to school openings.
Actually, there is. After Israel reopened schools, their case count skyrocketed. They traced 1400 cases in June and 47% led back to schools according to their health ministry.

OG-EQ355_ISRSCH_4U_20200713135123.png

You're actually comparing hundreds of kids invading one building, all of whom are no doubt the most conscientious observers of sanitation and social distancing, to adults returning to work? And your asserting the adults are at greater risk to spread COVID to their families. That's your argument?

All I have to go on is experience. My 3 have been back at daycare since June 1st. Daycare is around 60 kids.

Every day they're dropped off they get their temperature taken, hand sanitizer, remove shoes and socks and put on flip flops, sanitize bag, etc. So far so good. I assume schools can take similar measures.

Our school district is slated to start in a hybrid model. Half onsite/half virtual during the week. They'll re-evaluate in the middle of September to determine if full onsite attendance will begin. At least that is how I read it.

This is just from the Charlotte area in NC:

After six children were confirmed to have COVID-19 cases, KinderCare in South Charlotte posted a message on its website asking parents to find other care for their children because the South Charlotte facility was closing temporarily “in the best interest of global health.”

KinderCare is just one of several such clusters in the Charlotte area.

Three staff members and two children tested positive for COVID-19 at Primrose School of Lake Norman in Iredell County; at Smart Kids #3 Child Care Center, one of eight Smart Kid child development centers in the Charlotte area, one staff member and five children tested positive for the virus; Heaven’s Angels Childcare Facility in East Charlotte had 14 confirmed cases consisting of three staff members and 11 children; six staff members tested positive at East Union Middle School in Union County; and North Iredell High School in Olin reported a cluster of five cases among staff members.

This was posted on Facebook by Robb Hogg:

It's been three months since Gov. Reynolds started lifting the coronavirus restrictions (limited as they were) without an alternative safety plan. Here are the results by county:

1. Emmet: Was 0 cases. Now 178.
2. Floyd: Was 0 cases. Now 106.
3. Calhoun: Was 0 cases. Now 81.
4. Sac: Was 0 cases. Now 79.
5. Palo Alto: Was 0 cases. Now 74.
6. Monroe: Was 0 cases. Now 66.
7. Lucas: Was 0 cases. Now 41.
8. Fremont: Was 0 cases. Now 33.
9. Ida: Was 0 cases. Now 29.
10. Ringgold: Was 0 cases. Now 21.
11. Decatur: Was 0 cases. Now 20.
12. Adams: Was 0 cases. Now 15.
13. Wayne: Was 0 cases. Now 15.
14. Pocahontas: Was 1 case. Now 113.
15. Taylor: Was 1 case. Now 93.
16. Union: Was 1 case. Now 67.
17. Worth: Was 1 case. Now 56.
18. Davis: Was 1 case. Now 49.
19. Montgomery: Was 1 case. Now 42.
20. Cass: Was 1 case. Now 40.
21. Audubon: Was 1 case. Now 28.
22. Adair: Was 1 case. Now 20.
23. Franklin: Was 2 cases. Now 208.
24. Carroll: Was 2 cases. Now 174.
25. Clarke: Was 2 cases. Now 172.
26. Cherokee: Was 2 cases. Now 97.
27. Kossuth: Was 2 cases. Now 76.
28. Mitchell: Was 2 cases. Now 76.
29. Mills: Was 2 cases. Now 75.
30. Winnebago: Was 2 cases. Now 71.
31. Appanoose: Was 2 cases. Now 40.
32. Keokuk: Was 2 cases. Now 28.
33. Wright: Was 3 cases. Now 439.
34. Hancock: Was 3 cases. Now 109.
35. Buena Vista: Was 4 cases. Now 1,782.
36. Clay: Was 4 cases. Now 168.
37. Humboldt: Was 4 cases. Now 86.
38. Webster: Was 5 cases. Now 684.
39. Jackson: Was 5 cases. Now 131.
40. Madison: Was 5 cases. Now 93.
41. Chickasaw: Was 5 cases. Now 48.
42. Greene: Was 5 cases. Now 37.
43. Dickinson: Was 6 cases. Now 369.
44. Jefferson: Was 6 cases. Now 75.
45. Page: Was 6 cases. Now 69.
46. Hamilton: Was 7 cases. Now 237.
47. Monona: Was 7 cases. Now 89.
48. Hardin: Was 8 cases. Now 155.
49. Marion: Was 8 cases. Now 144.
50. O'Brien: Was 8 cases. Now 115.
51. Lee: Was 8 cases. Now 87.
52. Delaware: Was 8 cases. Now 83.
53. Sioux: Was 9 cases. Now 583.
54. Shelby: Was 9 cases. Now 154.
55. Butler: Was 9 cases. Now 106.
56. Osceola: Was 9 cases. Now 77.
57. Van Buren: Was 9 cases. Now 29.
58. Wapello: Was 10 cases. Now 823.
59. Mahaska: Was 10 cases. Now 133.
60. Howard: Was 10 cases. Now 47.
61. Grundy: Was 11 cases. Now 71.
62. Plymouth: Was 12 cases. Now 432.
63. Boone: Was 12 cases. Now 226.
64. Guthrie: Was 12 cases. Now 124.
65. Lyon: Was 13 cases. Now 98.
66. Cerro Gordo: Was 14 cases. Now 567.
67. Clayton: Was 14 cases. Now 91.
68. Winneshiek: Was 15 cases. Now 74.
69. Harrison: Was 16 cases. Now 89.
70. Buchanan: Was 17 cases. Now 103.
71. Jones: Was 21 cases. Now 119.
72. Warren: Was 22 cases. Now 501.
73. Crawford: Was 24 cases. Now 707.
74. Story: Was 27 cases. Now 1,086.
75. Cedar: Was 29 cases. Now 116.
76. Pottawattamie: Was 33 cases. Now 1,146.
77. Clinton: Was 48 cases. Now 280.

+ + + + +

Now for the 22 counties where Gov. Reynolds began loosening restrictions without an alternative safety plan in mid-May:

1. Des Moines: Was 16 cases. Now 137.
2. Iowa: Was 19 cases. Now 84.
3. Fayette: Was 20 cases. Now 75.
4. Benton: Was 31 cases. Now 127.
5. Henry: Was 32 cases. Now 109.
6. Bremer: Was 51 cases. Now 179.
7. Poweshiek: Was 56 cases. Now 136.
8. Allamakee: Was 81 cases. Now 147.
9. Dubuque: Was 102 cases. Now 1,460.
10. Jasper: Was 130 cases. Now 448.
11. Washington: Was 141 cases. Now 284.
12. Scott: Was 226 cases. Now 1,544.
13. Tama: Was 266 cases. Now 533.
14. Louisa: Was 269 cases. Now 377.
15. Dallas: Was 318 cases. Now 1,736.
16. Muscatine: Was 336 cases. Now 798.
17. Johnson: Was 461 cases. Now 1,868.
18. Marshall: Was 467 cases. Now 1,370.
19. Linn: Was 669 cases. Now 1,979.
20. Woodbury: Was 742 cases. Now 3,617.
21. Polk: Was 985 cases. Now 9,445.
22. Black Hawk: Was 1,140 cases. Now 2,953.

Where will our counties be three months from now, on October 31, especially without additional safety measures?

Cases have been going up drastically since restrictions were removed. Imagine the increase that will happen when schools open later this month.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT