ADVERTISEMENT

So....school reopening is going well...

I’m sorry to hear that. There will always be sad outcomes for some. Expecting none is unreasonable.
But, cases among kids is low. And, we need to take to next step forward.
Then we should evaluate and decide what’s next.

The next reasonable step for education is online learning until there are better treatments and/or a vaccine is available.

We already know the outcomes of what is going to happen when schools reopen without the things listed above. I get being hopeful but what we have here is more along the lines of hopeful ignorance.

How many kids will end up killing themselves bc of the mental toll that these things will have on them:

1. School starting back up only to have the rug pulled out from under them a week or two into the school year.
2. One or more of their favorite teacher(s) dying from C19.
3. Their parents dying of C19 after the kid had already tested positive (likely getting it from school and spreading it in the home)?

Don’t you guy care about adolescent suicide?

Yes, I do. And, it is up right now. Because kids are isolated from their friends. Some trapped in bad home life situations where school provided some relief.
You need to weigh the difficult outcomes of each approach.
Moving forward slowly is in the best interest of the most people.

People aren't being tested because they are being told they can't unless they have symptoms. I would get the test but can't at this point. Not to mention if I was tested and had it, the contact tracing is non-existent.

You're really, really bad at all this.
Sure you could be tested. Are you in Iowa? If you are you can be tested even without symptoms with Test Iowa.

Contact tracing is ‘non existent’ in your case why? Please clarify.

It’s not particularly hard to ‘have’ symptoms either. But your probably an honorable guy. I’m very certain I’ve had more than a few people in the last 4 months tell me the have had a runny nose, cough, severe fatigue and headaches who maybe were embellishing symptoms a tad to get the test. But what do I care? More testing the better. And since symptoms are mild in most cases who am I to say. It’s not like I can tell if people have a headache fatigue or body aches. In fact many if those that ended up with Covid recently, told me they thought they had just allergy symptoms from the start. I can think of at least 3 in the last week that told me that and tested positive.

So if you saw me, all you’d have to have are a few symptoms and I’d test. Or a high risk occupation. Healthcare worker, group home or school employee, you get the point. There has not been a single person in the last 2 months I’ve denied a test. Not one. So your narrative is wrong. Or you live in some other state. If that’s the case then that’s on your governor and state HD.

Reactions: Pinehawk
You looking for more people to start dying?
Dude this illness has no vaccine. It’s out there. We are seeing, or detecting, or both more cases in the past two weeks. People are gonna die of this everyday until a vaccine is effective or we develop herd immunity naturally. That’s a fact and all we can do is wear masks, distance were possible, test, and shelter high risk people. This idea that because all of a sudden schools might open that people will die that otherwise might not have is likely false. This assumes that people will be exposed at school that might otherwise not have been. And I think that’s erroneous. If teachers are high risk, apply to do virtual classes like my wife’s district allows. Teachers have a choice. Teach in person, teach virtual, take a 1 year LOA. Parents also have a choice. Right?

The next reasonable step for education is online learning until there are better treatments and/or a vaccine is available.

We already know the outcomes of what is going to happen when schools reopen without the things listed above. I get being hopeful but what we have here is more along the lines of hopeful ignorance.
Education online is a joke for primary grades. That will not be equivalent.
What teachers unions and groups don’t get is this....if they want online classes so bad, lets do it. I mean hell, why have schools? Why have even a tenth of the teachers we have? I mean, theoretically one teacher could teach a class for 10k right? Video instruction? Tests online.

Except that’s not equivalent. Kids need classes, need school in person, need socialization, need peers, need a teacher over their shoulder giving real time encouragement. Fact is, teachers are essential. Time they started acting like it. Essential workers are essential. Just like healthcare workers, police, fire, grocery employees, you name it. And we’ve all been working this entire time. None of those groups are clamoring for virtual jobs.....

Teachers need to get in the fight as well or be relegated to the historical dust bin because if they succeed in convincing us they aren’t needed right now then they’re not needed ever. Know what I mean? And my wife, again, is a teacher. And one that’s embarrassed by her colleagues right now. Is she scared of COVID? Yeah a tad. But so are my colleagues, so are the police, so are fireman etc....

Don’t try to say this is just about the kids because it clearly isn’t. Have you noticed some of the ‘preemptive obituaries’ some teachers have created? The free living wills for teachers that attorneys are offering? This isn’t all about the students. Never has been. We have a union coddled whiny bunch of educators. Time to step up to the plate like the rest of us. You’re needed. The kids need you. Being essential is an honor. Serve your country and future generations, leave your mark. Tell stories one day of how you worked even when it wasn’t easy to show up every day.....

Last edited:
What teachers unions and groups don’t get is this....if they want online classes so bad, lets do it. I mean hell, why have schools? Why have even a tenth of the teachers we have? I mean, theoretically one teacher could teach a class for 10k right? Video instruction? Tests online.

Except that’s not equivalent. Kids need classes, need school in person, need socialization, need peers, need a teacher over their shoulder giving real time encouragement. Fact is, teachers are essential. Time they started acting like it. Essential workers are essential. Just like healthcare workers, police, fire, grocery employees, you name it. And we’ve all been working this entire time. None of those groups are clamoring for virtual jobs.....

teachers need to get in the fight as well or be relegated to the historical dust bin because if they succeed in convincing us they are needed right now then they’re not needed ever. Know what I mean? And my wife, again, is a teacher. And one that’s embarrassed by her colleagues right now. Is she scared of COVID? Yeah a tad. But so are my colleagues, so are the police, so are fireman etc.... don’t give me the idea this is just about the kids because it clearly isn’t. Have you noticed some of the ‘preemptive obituaries’ some teachers have created? The free living wills for teachers that attorneys are offering? This isn’t all about the kids. Never has been. We have a union coddled whiny bunch of educators. Time to step up to the plate like the rest of us. You’re needed. The kids need you. Being essential is an honor. Serve your country and future generations, leave your mark. Tell stories one day of how you worked even when it wasn’t easy to show up every day.....
You wife is a ****ing idiot just like you are. Please tell me you didn’t procreate.

teachers need to get in the fight as well or be relegated to the historical dust bin because if they succeed in convincing us they are needed right now then they’re not needed ever. Know what I mean? And my wife, again, is a teacher. And one that’s embarrassed by her colleagues right now. Is she scared of COVID? Yeah a tad. But so are my colleagues, so are the police, so are fireman etc.... don’t give me the idea this is just about the kids because it clearly isn’t. Have you noticed some of the ‘preemptive obituaries’ some teachers have created? The free living wills for teachers that attorneys are offering? This isn’t all about the kids. Never has been. We have a union coddled whiny bunch of educators. Time to step up to the plate like the rest of us. You’re needed. The kids need you. Being essential is an honor. Serve your country and future generations, leave your mark. Tell stories one day of how you worked even when it wasn’t easy to show up every day.....

Good grief.

You wife is a ****ing idiot just like you are. Please tell me you didn’t procreate.

That was a very well thought out rebuttal.

I didn’t procreate yet no. But your wife and I have been trying. She tells me she likes the practice.

Lol at the guy using a 1% death rate. I dont know that we ever get to full "herd immunity" but this thing is going to have a death rate around. .1-.2 when its all said and done. It doesn't kill healthy people, it ravaged the old and unhealthy and will continue to do so but the numbers will drop.

@Joes Place how many times have you been to a bar this year?

Really couldn't count.

3 in the past week:
  • Odd13
  • Weldwerks
  • WileyRoots
Of course, masks are required, and all of them have outdoor seating at tables >6 ft apart. WW has tablet/smartphone ordering to reduce contacts. You can visit their respective websites and see how they minimize risks to wait-staff and patrons, if you like.

That was a very well thought out rebuttal.

I didn’t procreate yet no. But your wife and I have been trying. She tells me she likes the practice.
My response was warranted for that wall of text bullshit you posted. Your wife sounds like a shitty teacher and probably should find another job. McDonald’s is hiring.

I can see why you have fantasies about having sex with other women. I’m sure your catch belongs at SeaWorld.

My response was warranted for that wall of text bullshit you posted. Your wife sounds like a shitty teacher and probably should find another job. McDonald’s is hiring.

I can see why you have fantasies about having sex with other women. I’m sure your catch belongs at SeaWorld.
Let’s have a serious discussion then how about that? What part of what I said do you dispute?

Teachees aren’t essential? In person class isn’t essential?

My wife has been teaching a long time and is one of the highest paid and most well respected in the entire district.

Let’s have a serious discussion then how about that? What part of what I said do you dispute?

Teachees aren’t essential? In person class isn’t essential?
With this pandemic going on it’s not safe for students and staff to be in the building. If people weren’t such selfish pricks and would have stayed home and wore masks months ago we might not be in this position.

You really think being in school is a smart thing right now? People will get sick and what are you going to do if a bunch of staff and kids are out sick with the this? The average of a sub in the Davenport school district is 60. That’s not a great alternative and there will come a point when too many are sick to even have school. Then things will really be screwed.

Online learning isn’t ideal but it’s the safest and smartest way to have school right now. You want people sick and possibly dying?

Also your assumption that teachers don’t care about kids is bullshit and your moron of a wife should be ashamed of being embarrassed If her co-workers. I’m sure she’s really well liked.

Fools like you shouldn’t be allowed treatment if they get this.

Sure you could be tested. Are you in Iowa? If you are you can be tested even without symptoms with Test Iowa.

Contact tracing is ‘non existent’ in your case why? Please clarify.

It’s not particularly hard to ‘have’ symptoms either. But your probably an honorable guy. I’m very certain I’ve had more than a few people in the last 4 months tell me the have had a runny nose, cough, severe fatigue and headaches who maybe were embellishing symptoms a tad to get the test. But what do I care? More testing the better. And since symptoms are mild in most cases who am I to say. It’s not like I can tell if people have a headache fatigue or body aches. In fact many if those that ended up with Covid recently, told me they thought they had just allergy symptoms from the start. I can think of at least 3 in the last week that told me that and tested positive.

So if you saw me, all you’d have to have are a few symptoms and I’d test. Or a high risk occupation. Healthcare worker, group home or school employee, you get the point. There has not been a single person in the last 2 months I’ve denied a test. Not one. So your narrative is wrong. Or you live in some other state. If that’s the case then that’s on your governor and state HD.
It's not wrong at all. I live in Iowa. If testing is now available to anyone who wants it that's new - last week that wasn't the case. The online assessment would say I don't need to be tested. I've seen no communication that is encouraging everyone to get tested. I don't see a plan to test all children/teachers going back to school. The whole thing has been a cluster-f and now we're going to open up all schools (not just those who are in a community with low spread) "for the children". It's been a fiasco and will continue because the leadership is abysmal.

You can try to spin it however you want but there's no question the testing/tracing program in Iowa and across the country has been very poor and remains so. Other countries figured this rather simple process to stem the spread out long ago and we're still fumbling it. There's no excuse for it. It's just bad decision making by Trump and some of the Governors. And that's about to get worse if the school openings go as planned right now.

Reactions: Herkyalert
Dude this illness has no vaccine. It’s out there. We are seeing, or detecting, or both more cases in the past two weeks. People are gonna die of this everyday until a vaccine is effective or we develop herd immunity naturally. That’s a fact and all we can do is wear masks, distance were possible, test, and shelter high risk people. This idea that because all of a sudden schools might open that people will die that otherwise might not have is likely false. This assumes that people will be exposed at school that might otherwise not have been. And I think that’s erroneous. If teachers are high risk, apply to do virtual classes like my wife’s district allows. Teachers have a choice. Teach in person, teach virtual, take a 1 year LOA. Parents also have a choice. Right?
More people will die as this virus spreads faster. Whatever can be done to slow the spread to get to a vaccine will save lives. Period.

All teachers don't have the option to take a LOA or do distance learning, that's a false narrative. As is the notion that isolating everyone who is at risk will prevent them from coming in contact with the virus - it won't. Everyone can't isolate completely.

You and others view this through such a myopic lens that can only see how things will affect you. Others have far different circumstances and choices available to them. Your position is just another example of the selfishness that has helped put our country in this peril.

People aren't being tested because they are being told they can't unless they have symptoms. I would get the test but can't at this point. Not to mention if I was tested and had it, the contact tracing is non-existent.

This is totally wrong,.. I've been tested twice in Iowa, no symptoms, negative result both times,... Also, both of my tests were prompted after receiving phone calls from individuals that I had been in contact with advising that they had recently tested positive,... Intelligent, responsible adults do their own rudimentary contact tracing...

Another day and the giant wheel of hypocrisy keeps turning.

I can go to a bar, where I have to be unprotected to eat and drink, and socially distance myself from the overwhelmingly healthy bodies that attend bars but a 14 year old that has the immune system of steel cant go to school...... stfu.

Hey guys, news flash, there is a reason the Narrative switched from Deaths to infections a few weeks ago. You dont keep an entire generation out of school for something that kills a fraction of people less than 65.

Those of you crying about what needs to be done, sure as fvck better be staying in your house unless absolutely necessary.

Teachers need to get in the fight as well or be relegated to the historical dust bin because if they succeed in convincing us they aren’t needed right now then they’re not needed ever. Know what I mean? And my wife, again, is a teacher. And one that’s embarrassed by her colleagues right now. Is she scared of COVID? Yeah a tad. But so are my colleagues, so are the police, so are fireman etc....

Don’t try to say this is just about the kids because it clearly isn’t. Have you noticed some of the ‘preemptive obituaries’ some teachers have created? The free living wills for teachers that attorneys are offering? This isn’t all about the students. Never has been. We have a union coddled whiny bunch of educators. Time to step up to the plate like the rest of us. You’re needed. The kids need you. Being essential is an honor. Serve your country and future generations, leave your mark. Tell stories one day of how you worked even when it wasn’t easy to show up every day.....
FFS you are a fool. Online education doesn't work that way, at all. The technology is available to allow teachers to give individual attention to each student. It's not the same as in person but it's certainly not lecturing to 10K. SMH

And your supposed profession IS clamoring for tele-health. It's grown dramatically in the past few months and has been highly successful. You should read up on it. JFC - I can't believe how uninformed you are.

FFS you are a fool. Online education doesn't work that way, at all. The technology is available to allow teachers to give individual attention to each student. It's not the same as in person but it's certainly not lecturing to 10K. SMH

And your supposed profession IS clamoring for tele-health. It's grown dramatically in the past few months and has been highly successful. You should read up on it. JFC - I can't believe how uninformed you are.
If you think a 9 year old is going to do well with online learning when they are at a key point in developing reading skills you are a fool Riley.

This is totally wrong,.. I've been tested twice in Iowa, no symptoms, negative result both times,... Also, both of my tests were prompted after receiving phone calls from individuals that I had been in contact with advising that they had recently tested positive,... Intelligent, responsible adults do their own rudimentary contact tracing...
Yes - of course. You were able to get a test only after being exposed. Many of us had not knowingly been exposed and were told not to be tested because we had no symptoms.

As for that type of tracing, not everyone is intelligent or responsible. And even the ones who are don't reach out to people they've come in contact with that they don't know. That's why formal contact tracing is so important.

Yes - of course. You were able to get a test only after being exposed. Many of us had not knowingly been exposed and were told not to be tested because we had no symptoms.

Both times that I went in testing was available on demand....

Another day and the giant wheel of hypocrisy keeps turning.

I can go to a bar, where I have to be unprotected to eat and drink, and socially distance myself from the overwhelmingly healthy bodies that attend bars but a 14 year old that has the immune system of steel cant go to school...... stfu.

Hey guys, news flash, there is a reason the Narrative switched from Deaths to infections a few weeks ago. You dont keep an entire generation out of school for something that kills a fraction of people less than 65.

Those of you crying about what needs to be done, sure as fvck better be staying in your house unless absolutely necessary.
What a fool. A big part of the issue today is that many people went to bars and restaurants without masks and without social distancing. Had those selfish people simply observed some basic guidelines to protect others we wouldn't be in such a mess.

Deaths are still climbing at an alarming rate and infections are what leads to death. And deaths aren't the only bad outcomes so it makes sense to focus on the infection rate.

3.5% of all deaths under the age of 45 have been due to Covid-19 since February 1. That's significant.

Both times that I went in testing was available on demand....
Likely because you had been exposed. I don't know what would happen if you just show up. I'm telling you what the Test Iowa online assessment tool was telling people.

This went out to Des Moines School District parents/students today. This should be interesting:

MESSAGE FROM DES MOINES PUBLIC SCHOOLS SUPERINTENDENT AHART
Dear Friends,
As soon as Des Moines Public Schools transitioned to distance learning to finish last school year, we shifted our focus to how to safely begin 2020-21. Like school districts across the state, we spent thousands of hours developing a plan - according to the guidelines issued by the State of Iowa - on how to resume school in the midst of the on-going COVID-19 pandemic. The development of this plan also reflected input from more than 80% of our families. While everyone wants a day when we can resume school as we have for the past one hundred years, that is simply an unsafe option. For DMPS, we prepared a plan - again, according to the guidelines issued by the State of Iowa - that provided our families with a choice between an all-virtual learning model and a hybrid model, which combines in-person and online learning. Our goal: educate our students while protecting the health and safety of our students, their families, and our staff.
Over the past two weeks, the State of Iowa has released increased limitations on local decision-making, after more than 75% of our families had already registered for the plan we introduced on July 1. The DMPS plan was designed to maximize both student and staff safety and academic learning. Compliance with the recent changes in requirements will place students and staff at unacceptable risk given the COVID-19 conditions expected at the time school begins. Of particular concern are the guidelines issued just yesterday, stating that the transmission rate in a community must be more than 15-20% before a school can even ask for permission to change to online learning for a mere two weeks, a level triple that recommended by most public health experts.
The State's approach over the past two weeks has created concern and confusion for parents and teachers alike. It ignores the complexities of everything that goes into how a school district operates, not only preparing for online learning but everything from transportation to meals to technology to staffing. We recognize the significant challenges that the dramatic changes to daily schedules creates for our families and we are working with multiple district partners to address childcare and other family needs. However, the very notion that a school can simply flip a switch to go back and forth between in-person and online learning ignores the reality of how schools operate, what is best for our students and families, and limits the ability of teachers to provide quality instruction.
Our reason for existence is to educate students, and that is exactly what DMPS will do in 2020-21. Whether in person or online, our teachers live to support the success of their students. But I am not going to put our staff - or their students and families - in the position of getting sick for that purpose. We can return to learn in a way that is smart, safe and realistic.
Therefore, Des Moines Public Schools is working on the following changes to our Return to Learn plan:
Delay the start of the school year to shortly after Labor Day. Professional Development days currently scheduled throughout the year would be held prior to the start of classes so that the 2020-21 school year ends as currently scheduled.
The 2020-21 school year would begin fully virtual across all grade levels.
As soon as it is safe to do so, DMPS would transition to the hybrid learning model for elementary and middle school students who registered for that plan.
High school classes would most likely be held entirely online for the Fall semester, with the exception of some in-person classes at Central Campus.
As Superintendent, I will continue to make every effort to work collaboratively with the Iowa Department of Education and the Governor about our need to take this approach to responsibly further our students' education. Finally, DMPS is prepared to take every step available to ensure a safe start to the school year for our 33,000 students, 5,000 employees, their families, and the entire Des Moines community.
Dr. Thomas Ahart, Superintendent
Des Moines Public Schools

This reads like...Our teachers union is making all of the decisions and we will continue to treat teachers with kid gloves.

What a fool. A big part of the issue today is that many people went to bars and restaurants without masks and without social distancing. Had those selfish people simply observed some basic guidelines to protect others we wouldn't be in such a mess.

Deaths are still climbing at an alarming rate and infections are what leads to death. And deaths aren't the only bad outcomes so it makes sense to focus on the infection rate.

3.5% of all deaths under the age of 45 have been due to Covid-19 since February 1. That's significant.

There is sooooo much that is incorrect in this statement when you use critical thinking

So one person has it and you want to shut everything down?

That is literally how Europe, Japan and S Korea succeeded.

Not taking aggressive measures is why the United States leads the world in active cases and deaths. Melbourne, AU: 13 deaths/day and they're aggressively shuttering things.

US: >1200 deaths/day and our President is golfing and wants to reopen schools.

Reactions: Hrvat72
Likely because you had been exposed. I don't know what would happen if you just show up. I'm telling you what the Test Iowa online assessment tool was telling people.

I just said it was "on demand",... In that most of the people were there without symptoms or recent contact with someone who had tested positive,.. For approximately the past month the TestIowa assessment tool has included the question,... Do you want a test?,.. Answer yes, and you get a test...

Supposed profession? GFY. I hope you don’t ever need anyone in it.

We have nade tele health successful as an option for patients that don’t want to come in to be seen. And while it’s not at all the same has been a reasonable bridge in some cases with some specialties.

Children and teachers have the same options in many areas. In my district, as I have said, teachers have the option to do online instruction. Students have the option to do online instruction. But just the same as in my profession, if teachers are comfortable and if the students are comfortable they can do in person instruction. Some aren’t. So they choose virtual instruction.

You’re right. Online isn’t the same as in person. Hence the desire of many parents and the state to return to in person. I believe it can be done safely. As apparently does the governor and her public health advisors.

That is literally how Europe, Japan and S Korea succeeded.

Not taking aggressive measures is why the United States leads the world in active cases and deaths. Melbourne, AU: 13 deaths/day and they're aggressively shuttering things.

US: >1200 deaths/day and our President is golfing and wants to reopen schools.
We don’t need to shutter things do we joe? Is that your opinion? Because you have denied it was in the past.

There is sooooo much that is incorrect in this statement when you use critical thinking
Point it out then. You won't because you can't.

A kid who has it in school presumably has been in contact with dozens of others who now may be infected. This is a serious disease, they have to take precautions to prevent further spread which means, at the very least, isolating anyone in contact until they can be tested and shown to be negative or symptom free for 14 days.

I just said it was "on demand",... In that most of the people were there without symptoms or recent contact with someone who had tested positive,.. For approximately the past month the TestIowa assessment tool has included the question,... Do you want a test?,.. Answer yes, and you get a test...
That's not accurate. I went on last week and it told me no test was needed.

Supposed profession? GFY. I hope you don’t ever need anyone in it.

We have nade tele health successful as an option for patients that don’t want to come in to be seen. And while it’s not at all the same has been a reasonable bridge in some cases with some specialties.

Children and teachers have the same options in many areas. In my district, as I have said, teachers have the option to do online instruction. Students have the option to do online instruction. But just the same as in my profession, if teachers are comfortable and if the students are comfortable they can do in person instruction. Some aren’t. So they choose virtual instruction.

You’re right. Online isn’t the same as in person. Hence the desire of many parents and the state to return to in person. I believe it can be done safely. As apparently does the governor and her public health advisors.
Your responses call into question your credentials. Tele-health has been overwhelmingly successful during the pandemic. Again, you should read up on it to get current. It has great applicability beyond this crisis as well and the increased comfort patients and doctors have will allow it to grow rapidly going forward. About the only people who aren't enthusiastic about it are some doctors who are worried about their bottom line. Tele-health is certainly more economical than office visits which is good overall, but will affect what some doctors earn.

In your teaching example, what if many teachers want to do online leaving too few to teach in person? Something has to give. Does the governor make some teachers go back in the classroom? Or do they tell some kids they can't go back in person? You've been trying to make it a simple choice each individual can make on their own but it's far more complex than that.

More people will die as this virus spreads faster. Whatever can be done to slow the spread to get to a vaccine will save lives. Period.

All teachers don't have the option to take a LOA or do distance learning, that's a false narrative. As is the notion that isolating everyone who is at risk will prevent them from coming in contact with the virus - it won't. Everyone can't isolate completely.

You and others view this through such a myopic lens that can only see how things will affect you. Others have far different circumstances and choices available to them. Your position is just another example of the selfishness that has helped put our country in this peril.

This has nothing to do with me on a personal level. My beliefs are based on what I thinking best for students and the country given the situation we find ourselves in. It’s based on a professional opinion that takes into account the psychiatric and economic effects as well as the public health ones. I’m not the only health professional to feel this way. So save me your ‘uninformed’ comments. Failure to agree with you doesn’t make one so. I guarantee I’m more well read and damned sure more experienced by virtue of seeing this thing in person the last 5 months than you. My experience with it informs my opinion. Does yours?

For those of you suggesting we stay at home and go from there: How is a parent supposed to watch thier kid, educate them, and still work to pay bills?

Riley you and i have had the "every decision is a risk analysis of good vs bad" conversafion before. No one thinks sending kids back to school is 100% good but the other option isn't an option. Whats the old saying

Life's a b1tch but the alternative isn't an option. Thats kinda what we are looking at. Again, any of you that are bitching about reopening better be staying in home unless absolutely an emergency.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT