ADVERTISEMENT

So who showed up?

<<That is good. Bringing in recruits to watch us lose to Penn State, however, might not send the right message.>>

Losing SUCKS-- but a great game, at night, awesome atmosphere,crowd was loud and proud all night long against a top 5 team that we were a 12 point underdog to.

I would say that the recruits had a great day to soak in the type of campus Iowa has--- to see our World Silver Medalist Thomas Gilman honored at the game, be able to witness the crowd with the wave and lights on their phones -to the Children's Hospital-- to see the fans in the striped sections at Kinnick.

It was a special day-- a win would have been icing on the cake--
hope they enjoyed their time here!

<<That is good. Bringing in recruits to watch us lose to Penn State, however, might not send the right message.>>

Losing SUCKS-- but a great game, at night, awesome atmosphere,crowd was loud and proud all night long against a top 5 team that we were a 12 point underdog to.

I would say that the recruits had a great day to soak in the type of campus Iowa has--- to see our World Silver Medalist Thomas Gilman honored at the game, be able to witness the crowd with the wave and lights on their phones -to the Children's Hospital-- to see the fans in the striped sections at Kinnick.

So what your saying is we all get to eat hoagies?!?!?!

I was at the game last night and all I can say is--it was amazing. The passion of the 69,000 plus was clearly evident. To play a team ranked in the top 5 and for the game to come down to the last play was exciting. I am certain our recruits had a great time. I know I did.

When have butt in seats ever been a problem for us?

Winning = more 7 figure donors

No. It is NEW butts in seats. If this is going to take off we have to find 7 figure donors that don't care about Iowa wrestling....yet. And to me, that takes blue collar'd ones like you & me getting excited, talking about it at work, & getting our bosses excited. Then hopefully our bosses get their bosses excited. Gras roots shit, you know?

That is good. Bringing in recruits to watch us lose to Penn State, however, might not send the right message.
:(

The result of that game will have zero bearing on a recruit decision. Last night was an electric environment and great entertainment. And we brought a wrestler out on the field for acknowledgement on top of it. It was a great display of Hawkeye pride.

No. It is NEW butts in seats. If this is going to take off we have to find 7 figure donors that don't care about Iowa wrestling....yet. And to me, that takes blue collar'd ones like you & me getting excited, talking about it at work, & getting our bosses excited. Then hopefully our bosses get their bosses excited. Gras roots shit, you know?

Did you just say Dayhawk is blue collar'd? Oh boy. =P

Reactions: purescurve

This was the coolest atmosphere I've seen and I have been to a bunch of pro and college games. The Chiefs have the best tailgate in pro football in my opinion but Iowa outdid it yesterday. If there was an open spot within a few miles of Kinnick, folks were drinking and grilling on it. Great day even with the close loss.

DayHawk isn't saying anything blasphemous, and making it into a financial pissing match avoids the real issue: it's Tom Brands' job to bring titles to Iowa, not DayHawk's or any other fan's.

Yes, we've had some recruiting momentum. No, we haven't signed a top-10 recruit this year. Yes, Cael has signed several. This topic is fair game.

I'm deeply appreciative of those who have donated to HWC, but that shouldn't be tied to one's right to express an opinion.

DayHawk isn't saying anything blasphemous, and making it into a financial pissing match avoids the real issue: it's Tom Brands' job to bring titles to Iowa, not DayHawk's or any other fan's.

Yes, we've had some recruiting momentum. No, we haven't signed a top-10 recruit this year. Yes, Cael has signed several. This topic is fair game.

I'm deeply appreciative of those who have donated to HWC, but that shouldn't be tied to one's right to express an opinion.
He just essentially bet against his own team. Saying that he'll make a big payment to the HWC if and only if Iowa wins a title in the next 3 years. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

He just essentially bet against his own team. Saying that he'll make a big payment to the HWC if and only if Iowa wins a title in the next 3 years. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Ha-ha. Well, you're right, I guess one could look at it that way.

On the other hand, one could argue he's giving Brands a performance incentive, and since he's under no obligation to donate a cent, I think the proper response in either case is "Thank you."

Thank you, DayHawk. We all hope you have to write that check.

Exactly. It's going to take top 10 p4p recruits every year to win it all and I don't see it happening this year.

I want what we all want and that's number 24. I don't want to see the positive momentum stop and I have a feeling we are losing it with such a weak recruiting class (compared to our real competition).

Reactions: dunkej01
That was an incredible game and a nail biting ending. It sure looked sold out to me. I don't think they brought the kids in to see them lose to PSU. I think they brought them in to see the excitement of Hawkeye fans. I was very impressed with the fight of the Hawkeyes in the game. They have the same mentality as the wrestlers. Never stop fighting. You can bet that game made an impression on the recruits. Besides, what should they have done? Brought them in to see the Hawks play Wartburg?

While DayHawk's post might not be blasphemous, do you think any of "us" are satisfied with not having the #1 recruiting class every year? Winning the title every year? Every Hawkeye Wrestling fan wants that every year. The landscape of college wrestling has changed, PSU and the Buckeyes have become relevant which hurts our recruiting since they are arguably the #1 and #2 states in regards to h.s. talent. Both programs have "elite" senior level stars as well. Appears Iowa HS talent has been down lately. Cael is "Cael" to these young guys growing up, Snyder is Snyder.
There has been momentum with the HWC and talk of a new wrestling complex. A great recruiting class LAST year..."we" are moving forward.
The buck does ultimately stop with Brands but it takes a whole hell of a lot more than Brands to bring a title home. I don't know Brands, I'm just a die hard fan that gives small donations but I don't know anyone else I'd want to try and right the ship than Brands. I have full faith that he's working his tail off and is continueing to reflect and turn things around.
PSU has a "loophole" they are working with, there's no other real reason they have had this run, which makes it sting a little more since it's them. And before you cry PSU, I tip my hat to you for "figureing" it out....hell it might be just the fact of a few big ass donors! Kudos to you, now we have to figure it out or find them too.
So while it might not be a financial "pissing match", I would say it sure has helped them?

Let's go get all the top ten guys we can because it would make our team lots better. Why is no one else thinking of this? Hat tip to Dayhawk and Tarp for bringing it up. I'll let M* know.
1j1eul.jpg

Let's go get all the top ten guys we can because it would make our team lots better. Why is no one else thinking of this? Hat tip to Dayhawk and Tarp for bringing it up. I'll let M* know.
1j1eul.jpg

Then why the hell aren't we getting them? How many have we gotten in the past 3 years compared to FSU or fOSU? Why hasn't that changed?

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
1j1eul.jpg
Who is M*? Try using the name of a National Champ or an Olympian and kids might listen more....... I kid, I kid. Or do I?

Reactions: gprsox
Then why the hell aren't we getting them? How many have we gotten in the past 3 years compared to FSU or fOSU? Why hasn't that changed?

I think we've been through this.

1) Maybe they don't want to come here.
2) We've gotten 4 in the last 3 years, fSU has 7 and fOSU has gotten 4.
3) It has changed, we've gotten 4 in the past 3 years compared to 1 in the previous 5 years.

1j1eul.jpg

It's like Day401k thinks there about 30 top 10 p4p guys each year. Never mind the fact that there are other top schools all vying for the same 10 guys.

It's like Day401k thinks there about 30 top 10 p4p guys each year. Never mind the fact that there are other top schools all vying for the same 10 guys.

That and we beat the subject to death but then somebody always gets on here and acts like it’s an original idea. Usually, they are non regulars. “Man, I’m just trying tell the truth up in here and you homers just can’t take it!”

Tarp mentioned that we need to worry about ourselves and not worry about PSU. He also says we need to be landing 2.5 * top 10 P4P talent a year. Well when PSU is locking in 30-40% of these options every year, and you hear credible rumors of them doing it by very creative means, and we are left fighting over the remaining top P4P talent with 70+ other teams we absolutely have to worry about what is going on at PSU.

I know some of you guys don't like to hear it, but Tarp and Day are correct and it SHOULD be brought up over and over again.

If the goal is to get back on top, recruiting has to be on par with what PSU is doing EVERY year. Because, guess what? PSU just had 5 NCAA Champs and the lowest recruit ranking of that group was 7. As if it wasn't enough they just went out and reloaded with 6 of the top 13. No matter how Iowa has improved they still have a long ways to go.

Stop perceiving this constant reminder as a negative. It is kind of like drilling a move 1000 times a day to perfect it. Think of recruiting the same way. The landscape has simply changed since Carl took over at PSU. You want to win NCAA's you not only have to be a great coach, you have to go get the best right out of the gate. You can't win developing AA's because the 120+ point total that is becoming the norm at NCAA's is unattainable that way.

This point should be brought up ad nauseam. Honestly, it should be a sticky topic at the top of the board. To win NCAA's Iowa needs 6 or 7 top 10 recruits in each season's starting lineup. Embrace it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT