ADVERTISEMENT

So who showed up?

Dayhawk18--

I have ZERO issues with your stance/opinions-- Everyone is not the same-- hopefully when its all said and done- Downey can earn your respect and you can root for Iowa-- Hopefully Iowa wins that title and you help the HWC.

There is no one way that fits all- and that's perfectly fine. I appreciate the fans that will help us now and be part of helping get us to the top--I appreciate the fans that say- WIN first and I will help--- we need them both.

Its also great to debate/ discuss/ disagree and even argue a bit on a subject we are passionate about-- and still respect each other after!

#wrestlingisntpolitics

Don't know much about him? Guessing he is taking the Teske spot, not $$ wise, just the 125 need...

I don't think anyone thinks that an Iowa state qualifier is the Hawkeyes future 125 starter. Good for lightweight depth though and sounds like a good kid.

Dayhawk18--

I have ZERO issues with your stance/opinions-- Everyone is not the same-- hopefully when its all said and done- Downey can earn your respect and you can root for Iowa-- Hopefully Iowa wins that title and you help the HWC.

There is no one way that fits all- and that's perfectly fine. I appreciate the fans that will help us now and be part of helping get us to the top--I appreciate the fans that say- WIN first and I will help--- we need them both.

Its also great to debate/ discuss/ disagree and even argue a bit on a subject we are passionate about-- and still respect each other after!

#wrestlingisntpolitics

Thank you Novak. I am actually supporting the team and Downey this year, more of was a drunk me having some fun when I said I wouldn't be. I think he's a top 3 guy this year and we will hopefully be top 6.

All of that said, I just am disappointed. We have great momentum and some great things are coming together but I feel us losing it. If we have a class with no top 10 p4p guys, then I'm sure as heck going to continue to be upset. Even if we get Hidlay, I'm going to be upset. Because this is not how championships are won.

I feel TnT are being out recruited, out gamed, and out smarted. Yes they have better in state talent and more money but the best coaches can always figure out a way to even those things out. That's what has made me go on my little tirade. For 5 years, we allowed them to go out and beat us in the recruiting and it's burning us. I apologize that figuring it out now isn't acceptable to me.

Thank you Novak. I am actually supporting the team and Downey this year, more of was a drunk me having some fun when I said I wouldn't be. I think he's a top 3 guy this year and we will hopefully be top 6.

All of that said, I just am disappointed. We have great momentum and some great things are coming together but I feel us losing it. If we have a class with no top 10 p4p guys, then I'm sure as heck going to continue to be upset. Even if we get Hidlay, I'm going to be upset. Because this is not how championships are won.

I feel TnT are being out recruited, out gamed, and out smarted. Yes they have better in state talent and more money but the best coaches can always figure out a way to even those things out. That's what has made me go on my little tirade. For 5 years, we allowed them to go out and beat us in the recruiting and it's burning us. I apologize that figuring it out now isn't acceptable to me.

Although I agree with your premise about needing the top 10 lb4lb guys to win, I disagree with how flippant you are about evening the recruiting out. Hell, even Cael couldn't do what he does now, while he was at ISU. Being at the flagship DI programs in Pennsylvania or Ohio is an advantage that cannot be neutralized. Iowa has an amazing history and definitely has a fanbase like no other, but what are you going to tell a talent to make him think leaving to go to Iowa is that much better than staying at Ohio State or PSU? Because, it has to be THAT much better. That, or the kid has to already be wanting to go out of state.

So, what it truly comes down to is the ability to connect with each recruit, individually. It isn't so much about selling Iowa as it is selling yourself. I hate to say it, but Iowa needs a bona fide salesmen. But, he has to be genuine. He needs to be able to make these kids believe that Iowa is everything they need. Connecting with Lee was a start, but they need to get past getting Teasedaled and get back connecting very soon.

So they were drunk for 5 years messing around? Makes a whole lot more sense now

Did you wake up the other day in a cold sweat and suddenly figure out we are getting out recruited and were like, “HOLY SHIT, I GOTTA TELL THE GUYS!” Or more likely, you like some of the attention you have been getting as the board’s very own Ted Dibiasi and decided to continue the troll.

Reactions: whejoe
So anyway, some good action on Saturday. Got there about 11:45 and stayed for the duration. Some quick observations:

- Most impressive to me was Pat Lugo. Just piss pounded Turk and basically broke him. Not sure Turk scored and while I understand Lugo is bigger, I was more impressed with his activity level. Turk wrestled hard and competed but Lugo was so sharp and never took a step back. He is going to flourish in that room.

- Downey/Meyer was fun to watch - appeared to be working upper body/Greco. Lots of individual attention for Downey from Perry and Brooks. I was able to chat with him for a couple minutes when he was done - super nice kid and very engaging. He seems to get it but we'll see if his actions match up with what he's saying. He wants to train there through 2020, so for his sake first and foremost, and Iowa's sake second, I really hope he sees it through.

- Max Murin is gonna be a good one. Was going with McD and appeared to be loving every minute of his ass beating. I'm being facetious, but that kid just kept coming and never once conceded anything to McD and actually scored one legit takedown and had another one aided by the bleachers. He was also the last one on the mat of any roster guy. Seemed to be soaking in as much as he could from McD (thus my comment about enjoying his beating); lots of interaction and discussion during breaks.

- Love the look/feel of the room right now. Lots of coaching and interacting going on with T&T, M* and Perry. Terry spent most of the time working with Clark on par terre but M*, Perry and Tom were all over the place, coaching and working with guys at every turn.

Nothing super exciting and I missed some of the action, but wanted to pass along to balance the multiple pissing matches being conducted in this thread.

Has Lugo got the release to wrestle this year? He'll probably redshirt either way until Sorenson graduates right? I don't think he can make 141.

So anyway, some good action on Saturday. Got there about 11:45 and stayed for the duration. Some quick observations:

- Most impressive to me was Pat Lugo. Just piss pounded Turk and basically broke him.

No Turk didn't get a takedown which is why they are working together. Iron sharpens iron BUT I would not say he piss pounded Turk. Big futures for both 41'-49'

Thanks for update BigFall

Last edited:

- Most impressive to me was Pat Lugo. Just piss pounded Turk and basically broke him. Not sure Turk scored and while I understand Lugo is bigger, I was more impressed with his activity level. Turk wrestled hard and competed but Lugo was so sharp and never took a step back. He is going to flourish in that room.

- Downey/Meyer was fun to watch - appeared to be working upper body/Greco. Lots of individual attention for Downey from Perry and Brooks. I was able to chat with him for a couple minutes when he was done - super nice kid and very engaging. He seems to get it but we'll see if his actions match up with what he's saying. He wants to train there through 2020, so for his sake first and foremost, and Iowa's sake second, I really hope he sees it through.

- Max Murin is gonna be a good one. Was going with McD and appeared to be loving every minute of his ass beating. I'm being facetious, but that kid just kept coming and never once conceded anything to McD and actually scored one legit takedown and had another one aided by the bleachers. He was also the last one on the mat of any roster guy. Seemed to be soaking in as much as he could from McD (thus my comment about enjoying his beating); lots of interaction and discussion during breaks.

- Love the look/feel of the room right now. Lots of coaching and interacting going on with T&T, M* and Perry. Terry spent most of the time working with Clark on par terre but M*, Perry and Tom were all over the place, coaching and working with guys at every turn.

Nothing super exciting and I missed some of the action, but wanted to pass along to balance the multiple pissing matches being conducted in this thread.

Thanks for the update. If Murin can go 133 like he has mentioned then we can all quite worrying about recruiting a 133. I think he will end up being a beast.

Thanks for the update. If Murin can go 133 like he has mentioned then we can all quite worrying about recruiting a 133. I think he will end up being a beast.

People have been saying he won't be able to make 133. I have no info on this though.

Were there any top 10 p4p recruits in the room on Saturday? I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I really think we need to get multiple top 10 p4p if we want to be competitive.

About time you posted something important..............

Were there any top 10 p4p recruits in the room on Saturday? I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I really think we need to get multiple top 10 p4p if we want to be competitive.
Nope. The only one available is Mason Parris and he doesn't really feel a need.

Is it ok if a top p4p visits this weekend? What about next? Or is it all bets off if they didn't show last weekend?

Is it ok if a top p4p visits this weekend? What about next? Or is it all bets off if they didn't show last weekend?

Has to be done pretty hush-hush now, considering almost all of them are spoken for. Although, another guy pulling a Teas(e)dale in their favor would sure be nice. Cassioppi did sort of do that though switching from Northwestern.

All bets are off, but I'll keep complaining about recruiting on this board and offer no solutions whatsoever. In addition, I'll only contribute 20k if the Hawks win in the next 3 years. If the Hawks do win in the next 3 years, I'm not going to pay up, and I'll just say I posted this whilst drunk.

Nope. The only one available is Mason Parris and he doesn't really feel a need.
Sasso is still available as well. We were listed in his top 5, but I'm not sure how likely Iowa is for him. I know he has taken visits to tOSU and Nebraska, think ISU and VTech are going after him pretty hard as well. Would hope he at least visits Iowa at some point, and maybe he already has for all we know.

Reactions: Knight563
Sasso is still available as well. We were listed in his top 5, but I'm not sure how likely Iowa is for him. I know he has taken visits to tOSU and Nebraska, think ISU and VTech are going after him pretty hard as well. Would hope he at least visits Iowa at some point, and maybe he already has for all we know.
Sasso is not ranked in the top 10 p4p. I'd still take him.

FWIW seems like the Recruiting season has become more important than the season itself, as it should be in terms of longevity. This happy camper aka douche thinks and believes that we will land another #1 wrecking class. We heard a lot of positive things about Saturdays workout and nobody's gonna bring it down thanks!!!!
Hawkeye 5000 anyone?
JMO IMO
Go Hawks

So Sasso has been to tOSU & Nebraska so far. Any others? Is he still planning a trip to Iowa? Will Rider be doing an official to Iowa?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT