ADVERTISEMENT

Some positive changes from years past

Biggus Blockus

Team MVP
Aug 15, 2008
I've noticed this team tends to have very good starts during the first 5 minutes of each half.
Not every game of course, but much more often than in previous seasons.

Of course the 7 minute scoring droughts each half seems to still be a problem :) but I like that the team is winning the first 5 minutes as I have always felt the first 5 and the last 5 minutes of each half determine the outcome of the game.

Fran has to stop riding players in the game too long. This team is not that good defensively to have tired players giving crap efforts. His run times for guys in a roll is too long and bench time then becomes too long. Thats why they have such long bad stretches. The 2's cant stop a run and the 1s sit too long. The 2s can hold serve for a couple mins and thats about it. Even Uhl did decent at the 2 for a.couple mins but they loose offensive and defensive rhythm quickly.

Fran used to start subbing 4 or 5 mins into the game. He now leaves the starters out there longer, and it has helped. Wiscy and Min games were essentially 8 man rotations( outside of a few 1st half spot minutes). Maybe the injury issues have kept him from getting in the way of himself.

Last edited:
Fran has to stop riding players in the game too long. This team is not that good defensively to have tired players giving crap efforts. His run times for guys in a roll is too long and bench time then becomes too long. Thats why they have such long bad stretches. The 2's cant stop a run and the 1s sit too long. The 2s can hold serve for a couple mins and thats about it. Even Uhl did decent at the 2 for a.couple mins but they loose offensive and defensive rhythm quickly.

I disagree.... overall, most of the big runs have started when Fran mass substitutes. Instead of just bringing in 2 guys max, it’s 4 often. It happened again with Minny in the first half. We were up 18-12 or so and within 2 minutes after mass subbing down after a 7 or 8-0. Brought the starters back which was good but they were no longer in rhythm so it took them a possession or two to regain control.

The second half we only went 3 deep and look what happened.... widened the lead and never were down again.

Go back and watch the Michigan and OSU games at about the 15-16 minute mark when Fran mass subbed and both opponents went on big runs.

He’s going too deep when the production / quality is not there.

Reactions: unclesammy

As I said in the game thread, that lineup in the first half with Dailey, Pemsl, Uhl, Nunge, and Wagner was probably the worst lineup put on the floor in a Div 1 game this season. The offensive spacing,flow, and ball handling were horrible. Guess what happens when you play 4 PFs at the same time? And to say that Uhl did decent playing the 2 is a massive overstatement. He was ok on defense, but a black hole on offense. The crowd thought he was going to take a 3 for a moment and you could hear their reaction on TV. His one shot from the top of the key was absolutely horrible. I'm ok with Uhl coming in to provide defense and an additional ball handler as long as he is out there with some guys that can play offense too. He shouldn't be out there as the 2nd or 3rd scoring option at any time.

Pemsl and Dailey could both be usable for extended stretches during a game, 3-5 minutes at a time. Wagner should only come in for a minute or two at a time to give someone a quick rest. Uhl should be used as I described above. Nunge is one that should be looked at on a game by game basis. Last night his head seemed to be in the game on both ends of the floor and he got a lot of playing time. Other nights he is lost on defense, which is to be expected for a freshman playing out of position. Play him for a few minutes with most of the starters to see if you can figure out what you're going to get and then go from there.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I love Nunge and he oozes potential but he has to learn to play defense with his arms above his waist. Drives me crazy.

I love Nunge and he oozes potential but he has to learn to play defense with his arms above his waist. Drives me crazy.

Fran has played Nunge at 3 whereas he belongs closer to the basket where is length can have an impact. I liked the lineup Pemsl/Nunge/Baer combination of bigs.

The lineup Dailey/Uhl/Wagner/Nunge/Pemsl is the worst offensive lineup Fran has ever put out on the court in a game that mattered.

Reactions: unclesammy
As soon as Fran substituted 4 guys in at once, Minnesota went on a 7 or 8-0 spurt. I think we need to always have Cook or JBo in the game. It was nice to see Nunge and Moss contribute last night. It makes a huge difference in our team.
I have to admit, in the first half when he put Pemsl, Wagner, Uhl, all in at once, I was screaming at the TV. Beyond stupid in my book.

As soon as Fran substituted 4 guys in at once, Minnesota went on a 7 or 8-0 spurt. I think we need to always have Cook or JBo in the game. It was nice to see Nunge and Moss contribute last night. It makes a huge difference in our team.
Amen. Happens every time ... They have momentum ... Fran does a wholesale change and we get outscored by the opponent and quickly find ourselves trailing ... I understand backups need to play but sometimes he has a lineup of 5 guys and only one is a threat to score. :confused:

Dolph and Bobby commented then that with Minn. being shorthanded Iowa was subbing so as to keep Iowa fresh and tire Minn., but they also said who's going to score with that lineup. I sure wish Moss was more consistent.

Reactions: hawkhorn
Last season, when the second wave came it, there wasn't a drop off, in fact with Baer coming off the bench that group often did better in the first half I believe

I disagree.... overall, most of the big runs have started when Fran mass substitutes. Instead of just bringing in 2 guys max, it’s 4 often. It happened again with Minny in the first half. We were up 18-12 or so and within 2 minutes after mass subbing down after a 7 or 8-0. Brought the starters back which was good but they were no longer in rhythm so it took them a possession or two to regain control.

The second half we only went 3 deep and look what happened.... widened the lead and never were down again.

Go back and watch the Michigan and OSU games at about the 15-16 minute mark when Fran mass subbed and both opponents went on big runs.

He’s going too deep when the production / quality is not there.
Compare what you said with what I said.
He is waiting too long and wnds up having to sub several guys at once. Should be no more than 2 2nd team guys on the floor at a time. He rides guys when they get hot, they peter out, don't play D, foul as the opposition starts a run, pulls a bunch of guys out and the ball keeps rolling down hill from there.

Reactions: hawkhorn
Fran used to start subbing 4 or 5 mins into the game. He now leaves the starters out there longer, and it has helped. Wiscy and Min games were essentially 8 man rotations( outside of a few 1st half spot minutes). Maybe the injury issues have kept him from getting in the way of himself.
With Connor, Brady and Ryan out, he at best can go 10 deep =)

As I said in the game thread, that lineup in the first half with Dailey, Pemsl, Uhl, Nunge, and Wagner was probably the worst lineup put on the floor in a Div 1 game this season. The offensive spacing,flow, and ball handling were horrible. Guess what happens when you play 4 PFs at the same time?.

Bad line-up to be sure. Watched the replay today. That group was on the floor for 2 minutes. Minny outscored Iowa 3-0 during that time. Not a disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT