ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee Sitting Next to McDonough at Trials

As an OSU fan, I sometimes worry that Penn State has the potential to separate themselves from the pack in future. They just continue to pick up all the big names time after time. I hope spencer lee signs with Iowa seeing how I don't see him coming to Stillwater. We don't need a Uconn in wrestling like women's basketball does. We need to grow our sport and we're doing to do that by having parody within our top teams. As much I want to see the Cowboys beat everyone, I also want you guys to remain a powerhouse and contend for national titles as well as the gophers.

I come here from day one with nothing but respect for the Hawkeyes program and their fans. Not once have I trolled, just shared my thoughts and opinions in a respectful way. My reward for that? Constantly being labeled a troll and asked to leave. Since you lable me a troll then it's time to act like one I guess.
Boo Hoo. You got the excuse you been waiting for in regards to being a troll not what's your excuse for being an asshole?:p

JTS is generally a straight shooter and contributes to good discussions on this board. His trolly behavior is a direct response to the thin-skinned posers we have here who can't stand any dissenting opinions. There are plenty of legitimate trolls to chase off, no need to get into silly message board slap-fights with posters who actually bring something to the conversation.

JTS is generally a straight shooter and contributes to good discussions on this board. His trolly behavior is a direct response to the thin-skinned posers we have here who can't stand any dissenting opinions. There are plenty of legitimate trolls to chase off, no need to get into silly message board slap-fights with posters who actually bring something to the conversation.

Thank you Counsel. I'll take these mitigating factors under advisement

As an OSU fan, I sometimes worry that Penn State has the potential to separate themselves from the pack in future. They just continue to pick up all the big names time after time. I hope spencer lee signs with Iowa seeing how I don't see him coming to Stillwater. We don't need a Uconn in wrestling like women's basketball does. We need to grow our sport and we're doing to do that by having parody within our top teams. As much I want to see the Cowboys beat everyone, I also want you guys to remain a powerhouse and contend for national titles as well as the gophers.

Don't forget the clowns!

No they're not. We have still teams that are capable of taking them down if a slip up were to occur or injuries. Uconn could of played their second team and prob won that national title game. It's not nearly that bad

Wrestling, and for that matter, just about EVERY OTHER SPORT at the D1 level, is competitive. Women's basketball has ALWAYS been a boat race. Before Auriemma and UConn, it was Pat Summit and UT...that sport is simply unwatchable, and basically has been for it's entire existence.

Wrestling now, has more parity than it has ever had. More teams are at the top level, more schools are putting finalists on the mat at Nationals, and although we lost one, we gained one last year, and hopefully both Georgia and Florida are going to add wrestling on. I know the University of Arizona is considering a return also.

What Sanderson is doing, comes as no surprise: Dan Gable himself correctly predicted it, even before Cael took the job at Iowa State, and everyone who knew the sport, knew what would happen if Penn State hired Sanderson. It wasn't a surprise.

At the same time, Oklahoma State with Smith, and Iowa with Gable, both have their places at the top, which will never be touched again, similar to DiMaggio's 57 game hit streak.

o_O

Reactions: DirkTang1
Care the clarify what smith has that will never be touched? If it is team titles, Cael just tied it with 5......

From the Ohio Wrestling Network board:

Discussion Topic: Calling Dano, Josh, Hank, Brady or anyone else with knowledge!
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 14, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Who's on Spencer Lee's short list?"

peeeeeeeennnn st, darkhorse Iowa, very dark ohio st

Penn State should have the lead because its so close to home and they are a great team. Just depends on if he wants to work out with :McD, Clark, Gilman, Ramos, Dennis, plus Mejia, Wags, and Fatboy. I think to be successful at the Senior Level, he has to put on weight and work on his defense. Not many guys can stay with Spencer at this level but they can in college and at the Senior Level....especially those who have great counter offense.

Reactions: NLhawk62
Penn State should have the lead because its so close to home and they are a great team. Just depends on if he wants to work out with :McD, Clark, Gilman, Ramos, Dennis, plus Mejia, Wags, and Fatboy. I think to be successful at the Senior Level, he has to put on weight and work on his defense. Not many guys can stay with Spencer at this level but they can in college and at the Senior Level....especially those who have great counter offense.

Yes, PSU should be the frontrunner. Iowa's only in the picture for one reason - and it's not the pretty coeds and ocean breezes - we are by far the best folk and freestyle developmental program for Lee's weight.

From the Ohio Wrestling Network board:

Discussion Topic: Calling Dano, Josh, Hank, Brady or anyone else with knowledge!
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 14, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Who's on Spencer Lee's short list?"

peeeeeeeennnn st, darkhorse Iowa, very dark ohio st
Reverse Iowa and PennState.

I know this is completely ridiculous (however true), but with Spencers decision coming up I figured why not be optimistic, while I stumbled across his twitter today, I noticed that he just recently started following, along with a couple randoms; Dan Dennis (of course), Sam Stoll, and the one that threw me off a little and to get optimistic was Brock Rathbun. Maybe he is starting to follow his future teammates?!

I know this is completely ridiculous (however true), but with Spencers decision coming up I figured why not be optimistic, while I stumbled across his twitter today, I noticed that he just recently started following, along with a couple randoms; Dan Dennis (of course), Sam Stoll, and the one that threw me off a little and to get optimistic was Brock Rathbun. Maybe he is starting to follow his future teammates?!
He's following them because he has been to Iowa several times and knows them. He is playing it close to the vest, and I wouldn't take this for anything more than it is.

He's following them because he has been to Iowa several times and knows them. He is playing it close to the vest, and I wouldn't take this for anything more than it is.
I know, just with his decision coming soon, I figure why not, I will say though on a more serious note that he is a very determined young man and knows what he wants to achieve and how to achieve it, unless Terry moves to happy valley, I believe Iowa is the strong favorite, thats just my gut, but he does not strike me as someone who would go to a team just to make the team better, his goal is olympic gold, so in my mind he knows that Iowa offers the best opportunity at his weight for that

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
I've found over the years that it seldom pays to be preoccupied with the decisions of 18-year-old kids. That said, I'd sure love to see Spencer as a Hawk. I wish him the best with his decision.

There's no doubt that Iowa is a fantastic -- arguably the best -- place to be for an ambitious, talented lower-weight wrestler. Spencer knows that. We all know that. Throw in the history of the program, the incredible fan support, and the opportunity to put Iowa back on top of the heap, and that's a very attractive package. No doubt he'd be in a great place as a Hawkeye.

Still, it's his call. Best of luck to him.

Wrestling, and for that matter, just about EVERY OTHER SPORT at the D1 level, is competitive. Women's basketball has ALWAYS been a boat race. Before Auriemma and UConn, it was Pat Summit and UT...that sport is simply unwatchable, and basically has been for it's entire existence.

Wrestling now, has more parity than it has ever had. More teams are at the top level, more schools are putting finalists on the mat at Nationals, and although we lost one, we gained one last year, and hopefully both Georgia and Florida are going to add wrestling on. I know the University of Arizona is considering a return also.

What Sanderson is doing, comes as no surprise: Dan Gable himself correctly predicted it, even before Cael took the job at Iowa State, and everyone who knew the sport, knew what would happen if Penn State hired Sanderson. It wasn't a surprise.

At the same time, Oklahoma State with Smith, and Iowa with Gable, both have their places at the top, which will never be touched again, similar to DiMaggio's 57 game hit streak.
*56 game hit streak

I've found over the years that it seldom pays to be preoccupied with the decisions of 18-year-old kids. That said, I'd sure love to see Spencer as a Hawk. I wish him the best with his decision.

There's no doubt that Iowa is a fantastic -- arguably the best -- place to be for an ambitious, talented lower-weight wrestler. Spencer knows that. We all know that. Throw in the history of the program, the incredible fan support, and the opportunity to put Iowa back on top of the heap, and that's a very attractive package. No doubt he'd be in a great place as a Hawkeye.

Still, it's his call. Best of luck to him.

I haven't invested much energy or emotion into recruits since Destin McCauley broke my heart. :(

peeeeeeeennnn st, darkhorse Iowa, TANNING BED ohio st[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for you.

Spencer is down to two schools: tOSU and PSU, and Tom has been so apprised. tOSU's status might be a bit surprising, but Mr. Ryan has put a lot of time and effort into this quest. The big problems for him, however, are Spencer's extremely tight relationship with Jason Nolf and the presence of 2012 Olympic freestyle gold-medalist Tatsuhiro Yanemitsu at the NLWC--not to mention the Sanderson/Cunningham mystique.

Spencer is down to two schools: tOSU and PSU, and Tom has been so apprised. tOSU's status might be a bit surprising, but Mr. Ryan has put a lot of time and effort into this quest. The big problems for him, however, are Spencer's extremely tight relationship with Jason Nolf and the presence of 2012 Olympic freestyle gold-medalist Tatsuhiro Yanemitsu at the NLWC--not to mention the Sanderson/Cunningham mystique.
According to Strittmatter and Juergens it is down to two schools, Iowa and Penn State. I'll take their word for it.

Coach Ryan was absolutely certain at one point that Mark Hall was heading there. We see how that worked out. Like McCulloughd, I'll go with Strittmatter and Juergens.

Reactions: pinters
Cant imagine any other coaches than stritt his assistants, Tom n Terry bugging him much. Like some other possible recruiters/homes. Better for the family.
Go Hawkeyes!!!!!!!!:)

I spend about six months out of the year right here in Bar Harbor, Maine. It's about 58 degrees and I'm ready to head over to the lobster/clam cookout. I'm going to shoot the shit with some people and then I'll grab a basket of lobster and clams and coleslaw and head over to the grocer on the corner, pick up a 12 pack of Miller and head back to my cottage. I'll put my feet up on the railing of my deck and stare at the boats and the beautiful scenery and will say to myself, "Life is good" and will be even better if Spencer Lee becomes a Hawk. If not, Life is still going to be good.

I spend about six months out of the year right here in Bar Harbor, Maine. It's about 58 degrees and I'm ready to head over to the lobster/clam cookout. I'm going to shoot the shit with some people and then I'll grab a basket of lobster and clams and coleslaw and head over to the grocer on the corner, pick up a 12 pack of Miller and head back to my cottage. I'll put my feet up on the railing of my deck and stare at the boats and the beautiful scenery and will say to myself, "Life is good" and will be even better if Spencer Lee becomes a Hawk. If not, Life is still going to be good.
Having Mejia coming to the room should make some of those that stress about 17 years olds sleep better at night. We are in good shape regardless of what Spencer chooses.

Having Mejia coming to the room should make some of those that stress about 17 years olds sleep better at night. We are in good shape regardless of what Spencer chooses.

This is one of the reasons I don't think Lee is a good fit for the Hawkeyes (I understand he would be a good fit anywhere given his talent level). You have Mejia and Renteria coming in 125 in the same recruiting class. Unless you are recruiting a class of only 125 pounders, I'm left scratching my head at how all three fit in. I know some people think you can spread them out over three weight classes, but that seems like an awful lot of projection at this point. Assuming there is not a ton of growing going on, only one of the three, maybe two, can wind up in the lineup.

This is one of the reasons I don't think Lee is a good fit for the Hawkeyes (I understand he would be a good fit anywhere given his talent level). You have Mejia and Renteria coming in 125 in the same recruiting class. Unless you are recruiting a class of only 125 pounders, I'm left scratching my head at how all three fit in. I know some people think you can spread them out over three weight classes, but that seems like an awful lot of projection at this point. Assuming there is not a ton of growing going on, only one of the three, maybe two, can wind up in the lineup.

Word on this board and elsewhere is that a couple kids you mentioned sucked down pretty hard to get to 120 as high school juniors.

Dear high school coaches and parents: these kids are horses. Let them eat.

Also, not all of them are likely to pan out.

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT