ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Petras at Manning Passing Academy

I don't know why I feel this way...but I've been thinking it alot after re-watching some of the early games last year. I think Petras has a shot to surprise people. He's very much a rhythm kind of QB. He needs some time to get comfortable and get his confidence....but once he does...he makes great throws. I think the issues with the offensive line last year exasperated his mobility and confidence issues. Also, every defensive coordinator in the country knows that the way to get him off his game is hitting him. We see a ton of aggressive defenses in certain down and distance situations...they are bringing pressure with extra people.

Think about some of the games over the past two years, he would get into a rhythm and complete a bunch in a row...and putting points on the board. The way he finished the pandemic year...Penn State, Illinois, Minnesota, etc...he had stretches where he was great. Last year...in the first 6 he managed the games well...he stood in against Penn State and played ok.

I think we all agree, he can be calmer in the pocket...but I think improved offensive line play...and him gaining confidence that he will have time...may be the impetus for him to have a great year. The biggest thing...just make the throws that are there...he needs to get the completion percentage pushing 68%...and it's certainly doable with the short throws in our offense. He's a great kid...it would be cool to see him go out leading the team and having a great year.

Check out the reactions to this 80 yd bomb. Payton Manning is in the backfield.

Wishing for an improved Iowa OL and improved QB play this season.

Not this shit again. At this point, who the hell cares how far SP can throw a football? Petras is a career 57% pass completion QB. More than 530 pass attempts. 57.1% in 2020. 57.3% in 2021. The worst starting QB in the Big Ten.

Bragging about his is arm strength is akin to raving about the pitching prospect who can throw a 100mph fastball.... incredible......but walks every other batter because he is wild AF.

How can any true Hawkeye fan not pull for Spencer Petras? He's a really classy kid, well respected and admired by his teammates and a great representative for Iowa football. I'd love to see him finish his career with a very special season, he certainly deserves it.
I doubt anyone is rooting against him, but many are realistic....

Not being able to run block or pass block will kill an offense in general.
Even his hired QB trainer -- the one person paid large sums of money to thoroughly analyze your game tape, to improve your QB mechanics and skills, the person you trust to advance your image -- even he doesn't have the stomach to put the tired "its the OL's fault" excuse out there anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Even his hired QB trainer -- the one person paid large sums of money to thoroughly analyze your game tape, to improve your QB mechanics and skills, the person you trust to advance your image -- even he doesn't have the stomach to put the tired "its the OL's fault" excuse out there anymore.
You know Petras was injured by week 2 because of his OL right? When your injured your mechanics fall apart as you try to compensate for your injury.

Reactions: BDJHawk and F5n5
One of the absolute saddest things I ever hear anywhere in my life happens to be bandied about on this message board a lot.

Who the hell can even feel good about themselves being ignorant enough to say a 22 year old can’t get better my God there are thousands and thousands of 20, 22, 24, year-old men in minor-league baseball basketball etc. etc. all over the world still trying to get better and yet Spencer Petras cannot…. kind of shows what you’re dealing with, with a lot of the folks on here !

Last edited:
Not this shit again. At this point, who the hell cares how far SP can throw a football? Petras is a career 57% pass completion QB. More than 530 pass attempts. 57.1% in 2020. 57.3% in 2021. The worst starting QB in the Big Ten.

Bragging about his is arm strength is akin to raving about the pitching prospect who can throw a 100mph fastball.... incredible......but walks every other batter because he is wild AF.
Maybe take a look at Ricky Stanzi's stats going into his senior year...

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2007IowaBig TenQB2040.000.0-11.301-50.0
*2008IowaBig TenSOQB1315025459.119567.77.2149134.8
*2009IowaBig TenJRQB1117130456.324178.06.81715131.6

Last edited:
One of the absolute saddest things I ever hear anywhere in my life happens to be bandied about on this message board a lot.

Who the hell can even feel good about themselves being ignorant enough to say a 22 year old can’t get better my God there are thousands and thousands of 20, 22, 24, year-old men in minor-league baseball basketball etc. etc. all over the world still trying to get better and yet Spencer Petras cannot…. kind of shows what you’re dealing with, with a lot of the folks on here !
He was our starter in 2020, and was bad. Then in spring/summer of 2021 we heard how amazing he was looking, and in the 2021 season he was bad. It's now spring/summer of 2022 and we're hearing how amazing he's looking. Do you seriously blame people for being skeptical? This will be his third year as the starter, and he's been bad the previous two. I hope I'm wrong and he comes out much better, rooting for him if he's the starter. Just not buying the pre-season hype until it happens when it matters.

He was our starter in 2020, and was bad. Then in spring/summer of 2021 we heard how amazing he was looking, and in the 2021 season he was bad. It's now spring/summer of 2022 and we're hearing how amazing he's looking. Do you seriously blame people for being skeptical? This will be his third year as the starter, and he's been bad the previous two. I hope I'm wrong and he comes out much better, rooting for him if he's the starter. Just not buying the pre-season hype until it happens when it matters.
You got links and videos to people saying Petras was amazing in practice?

A lot of people saying Petras could be improved with a good running game and pass protection. How about we look at the last game Petras played against Kentucky?
  • Iowa running backs gained 173 rushing yards, averaging 5.97 yards per rush.
  • Offensive line gave up 0 sacks.
  • Petras threw 1 TD, 3 interceptions, had a 113.41 QB rating.
    • That QB rating ranked below his season average of 117.34.
    • For reference, Jake Christensen's career QB rating was 118.8. Yes, Petras is statistically worse than Jake Christensen.
  • Iowa only scored 17 points.

There is zero reason to expect Petras to suddenly be a productive or efficient passer. I hope it happens, but I also hope I can win the lottery.

A lot of people saying Petras could be improved with a good running game and pass protection. How about we look at the last game Petras played against Kentucky?
    • For reference, Jake Christensen's career QB rating was 118.8. Yes, Petras is statistically worse than Jake Christensen.

There is zero reason to expect Petras to suddenly be a productive or efficient passer. I hope it happens, but I also hope I can win the lottery.

does anybody ever get better when they’re 22 or 23… Just asking?

does anybody ever get better when they’re 22 or 23… Just asking?
haha, and as a continuation of my response above, let's add in Stanzi's senior season and see what happened to an immobile QB who struggled with accuracy his first two seasons...

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2007IowaBig TenQB2040.000.0-11.301-50.0
*2008IowaBig TenSOQB1315025459.119567.77.2149134.8
*2009IowaBig TenJRQB1117130456.324178.06.81715131.6
*2010IowaBig TenSRQB1322134564.130048.79.4256157.6

Dose of reality yes. I will be hoping for nothing but good things for him this year. Everyone can always improve, no doubt. But much of it at this point is wish-casting. He has taken a lot of snaps. What determines an okay vs a really good QB is their ability to make something happen when not everything clicks perfectly on a play. News flash - the opponent is trying to. Not every OL is going to win their block on every play, or the primary receiver wins their matchup against the DB. What happens then? If a QB can't run, then he has to have a knack/feel for knowing where everyone is on the field, feeling the rush without even seeing it, and getting the ball accurately to where it needs to go even when crap hits the fan around him. Beathard could do it, both scrambling and in throwing in 3rd and dicey situations. Tate could do it, with his ability to move in the pocket and anticipate plays. Banks could do it with his feet. Stanzi was very good in 2010 even though the record was not good, but he had 2 very good WR's to throw to (McNutt and DJK), good TE's and a good OL.

You pointing out the Kentucky game was good. Running game was best it was all year against a quality opponent. Offense in the second half up until the point Jermari Harris intercepted that pass was good. BF kept them off balance and hit a couple of big plays. But the offense after Harris' INT (run, run, run) was ridiculous. My God, get a first down and win the game. You are a good team, act like it. Then once Kentucky took the lead the final INT just can't happen. 7-10 yards from FG range. If the pass isn't open, throw it away, still time to get it next down. Those are exactly the types of situations that will likely determine if Iowa is 7-5 this year or 10-2 and in the Big Ten title game.

Not being able to run block or pass block will kill an offense in general.
Same with an Rb afraid of contact and a QB that's rattled way too easily. Ol needs improved,but the whole offense need to be better including their leader

You pointing out the Kentucky game was good. Running game was best it was all year against a quality opponent. Offense in the second half up until the point Jermari Harris intercepted that pass was good. BF kept them off balance and hit a couple of big plays. But the offense after Harris' INT (run, run, run) was ridiculous. My God, get a first down and win the game. You are a good team, act like it. Then once Kentucky took the lead the final INT just can't happen. 7-10 yards from FG range. If the pass isn't open, throw it away, still time to get it next down. Those are exactly the types of situations that will likely determine if Iowa is 7-5 this year or 10-2 and in the Big Ten title game.
To be fair, he was yanked while throwing by instant backside pressure on the last throw in the Kentucky game. It's not like he just overshot a receiver with set feet. But the prior possession certainly was disappointing (if not unexpected).

The one thing that is obvious is Spencer is doing all he can to improve. He has a great arm, seems like a good kid and leader, appears very smart, and presents as humble. I am hoping very much he has a breakout year.

If he struggles early I imagine we will see a QB revolving door. No one wants that.
There's nothing not to like about him as an on-field leader. He's just not been a very good QB when it comes to passing the ball. Rooting for him if he's the starter. I just think a big part of his problem is between the ears and that's not something easily fixed.

George Karlaftis, Nick Herbig, Jack Sanborn, Leo Chenal, David Ajabo, and Aiden Hutchinson say "hey".

To be fair, he was yanked while throwing by instant backside pressure on the last throw in the Kentucky game. It's not like he just overshot a receiver with set feet. But the prior possession certainly was disappointing (if not unexpected).

Total BS. He had a wide-open receiver directly in front of him five yards downfield. He could have flicked the ball backhanded or gotten it out when the edge rusher came clean.He lost presence and panicked.

With Spencer ... it appears to largely be what is between the ears. Processing speed and handling adversity.

On the flip side ... the guy can lead the team and he knows how to get us into good plays. The question is whether the O can execute them (and if he'll make the throws ... even in spite facing pressure).

As for the earlier poster commenting about how his personal QB trainer isn't even making excuses ... it's his job to help Spencer improve. You don't help someone improve by simply placating them. You have to put the yoke of responsibility on Spencer ... and try to build him up so that he'll respond.

So should every QB on the roster get a shot to show that they can improve. Results matter. It isn't middle school or Pop Warner.

My experience with pop warner and middle school is the best kids play there too. Just like they do all up-and-down the ranks except of course sometimes when you get to the NFL and they spend billions of dollars on you as a first round draft pick and they need you to improve to justify their selection, see Josh Allen’s 1st 2 years vs his last 2.

I'm sorry...but it's not an excuse when your offensive tackles get blown through faster than the turnstiles at Disneyland on the first day of summer.
Not only that ... we saw the same show with Alex at the helm too.

With receiving targets dropping the ball and having the QB face too much pressure ... the result is not enough scoring ... and being forced to play behind the chains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT