ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Petras at Manning Passing Academy

tony-romo-terrell-owens.gif

Reactions: F5n5
Can he suddenly become agile? Not likely.

Can he suddenly become an accurate passer? Not likely.

Can he suddenly scramble and make unscripted plays happen or pick up first downs with his feet? Not likely.

Glad you are rooting for him though. I’m sure it makes all the difference. Homers are the only ones who should be allowed to voice an opinion about the most critical position on the entire team.

Only fools resort to tactics that 10 year olds use on a playground…

Reactions: HawkOn15
What I don't get about these QB complainers is the willingness to just make shit up (e.g. BB junior year) or at least conflate the later product with the earlier part of their careers. CJ passed Jake, but Jake was obviously way ahead of CJ at even the midpoint of the season. Ricky became great but he threw 24 interceptions his first two seasons and he was playing with the two best receivers we ever put on the field together in the Ferentz era so maybe not starting Ricky out of the gate was simply prudence-and perhaps a good way to prepare Ricky for the crowds and the pressure.

If someone wants a fantasy world, why make it dark and dystopian? Why not make up a place that sounds much more fun? Like this:

incredible to say but my boys are literally listening to this song right now!!

Yeah, like I said, you think KF sat the eventual QB starters at just the right time, and then made the switch at just the right time. Let me guess, naming Paki O'Meara the starting RB in 2009 was exactly the right call too, but just for that first game because Robinson and Wegher weren't really ready until week 2, right?

Too funny.

No we both readily think you, a message board poster going by Gonzo, is more likely to be right…😳

He was our starter in 2020, and was bad. Then in spring/summer of 2021 we heard how amazing he was looking, and in the 2021 season he was bad. It's now spring/summer of 2022 and we're hearing how amazing he's looking. Do you seriously blame people for being skeptical? This will be his third year as the starter, and he's been bad the previous two. I hope I'm wrong and he comes out much better, rooting for him if he's the starter. Just not buying the pre-season hype until it happens when it matters.
I never heard, during the summer of 2021, that he was looking amazing. I remember that he was working with an external coach on mechanics and a bunch of posts HOPING he would improve. I don't recall any saying he was looking amazing. I don't recall any this year saying he was looking amazing. There's this post, showing some oohing over a video of him launching a long pass, but that's about it. A bunch more hopes for improvement and even more "no way he will improve" posts are what I'm seeing.

I never heard, during the summer of 2021, that he was looking amazing. I remember that he was working with an external coach on mechanics and a bunch of posts HOPING he would improve. I don't recall any saying he was looking amazing. I don't recall any this year saying he was looking amazing. There's this post, showing some oohing over a video of him launching a long pass, but that's about it. A bunch more hopes for improvement and even more "no way he will improve" posts are what I'm seeing.
If the Iowa OL and running game improve, I suspect Spencer will.

Reactions: ejrose21
Or any other Iowa QB….
I agree. I’m not a Spencer Petras fan, but the fact remains he’ll almost assuredly be the starter, so I’ll hope for the best.

I would love to see someone different under center this season, but I also remember when I thought that after Nate Stanley’s debacle at Penn State. And yes, Stanley is much better than Petras.

Not trying to attack the person, only the QB play. And mostly trying to be a voice for the next man in to give a better fighting chance in 2022, either Labas or Padilla.
So....lets say QB play for 2022 is very good. Not heisman caliber, but not only not a liability, but clearly an asset. Do you care who that is? Would you be just as happy if it was Petras vs...say Padilla?

I'm asking because your comment about "next man in" which implies you're primarily interested in a change at the personnel as much as a change in performance. There were a lot of people who got Ferentz Fatigue and just wanted him gone, even if keeping him meant a 10 or 11 win season. I feel like some people here who are in the "anybody but Petras" camp, even if starting Petras meant 10 or 11 regular season wins.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Yeah, like I said, you think KF sat the eventual QB starters at just the right time, and then made the switch at just the right time. Let me guess, naming Paki O'Meara the starting RB in 2009 was exactly the right call too, but just for that first game because Robinson and Wegher weren't really ready until week 2, right?

Too funny.
Uh, yes that is exactly what I am saying. That's how you become the winningest coach at an old program.

Are you so utterly devoid of humanity that you cannot understand a kind gesture to a guy that worked his ass off starting one game?

Uh, yes that is exactly what I am saying. That's how you become the winningest coach at an old program.

Are you so utterly devoid of humanity that you cannot understand a kind gesture to a guy that worked his ass off starting one game?
Lol, wait, so you're saying KF started Paki that one game out of the goodness of his heart with the sole intention of only starting him that one game and that KF knew then that Paki wasn't going to be the season long starter?

Please say yes.

Lol, wait, so you're saying KF started Paki that one game out of the goodness of his heart with the sole intention of only starting him that one game and that KF knew then that Paki wasn't going to be the season long starter?

Please say yes.

Paki was never going to be the all year starter.

Please say yes.
Of course. Maybe a little of it was to let the freshmen get their first game out of the way without the star lights of starting.

It's one thing to have a dissenting opinion or a disagreement but the hubris and arrogance of implying the coaches are simply stupid.

Of course. Maybe a little of it was to let the freshmen get their first game out of the way without the star lights of starting.

It's one thing to have a dissenting opinion or a disagreement but the hubris and arrogance of implying the coaches are simply stupid.
So what you're saying is that KF has never been wrong.

Too funny. Please never stop posting.

I will say this all year. If Iowa does not have a top 60 offense (and/ or top half of B1G) Barta should let BF go. If that causes KF to leave, so be it. But if KF has yet another crappy offense and still think Brian should continue than KF does not have the best interest of Iowa Football.
[For the record, I am a huge KF fan, but he should have never hired his son as OC.]

He didn’t say that nor do you think he did. Just like I expect a smart guy like you is probably allowed to make his own decisions albeit some failingly, KF also deserves the same…pretty simple concept really.

PS…. no way in hell under any circumstances did I take umbrage with Paki Omeara starting that game. In fact until you brought it up, it was never even on my radar.

I find the implication asinine although I doubt that surprises you?!

No, I am obviously not saying Kirk Ferentz has never been wrong. I asked you for three examples of QBs. You give the three. As I said, the BB thing is just made up and you either made it up or believed someone who made it up. No one, and that means literally no one, including the player himself, has ever validated a single aspect of this 21 year old lie.

Your second example was almost as false, certainly misleading. If I gave you every fact you have just assumed you're still spreading a misleading idea. That competition lasted two games and you're still bitching, 14 years later. When the complete picture is included, your complaints sound even crazier. An in place starter being given the first chance to keep the job probably happens almost everywhere with almost every coach. Jake and Ricky split halves in the first game and played about the same, well. They were supposed to split halves at ISU but Ricky was awful, got benched with Iowa behind and Iowa came back with Jake at the helm. Ricky started every other game. Look at the two box scores for those games. The coaches judgment, you know after seeing the guys in practice every day, changed starters and went forward with Ricky based on potential, not proven, performance. AFTER JUST TWO GAMES.

Do you seriously think the coaches couldn't distinguish Paki from Adam and Brandon? Seriously, you think that? That's so utterly disrespectful to the coaches that have churned out high quality running backs almost every season. You think that those coaches were so blind to Adam that they started Paki thinking he was the best back is more likely than letting a popular player start and get a few carries against whatever cream puff we opened against that year. Paki only had 9 carries in that game and only 13 all year, he was replaced by Adam in the game, Adam had six more carries in that game alone. Adam had 181 carries, Brandon 162 and Paki had 13 carries that season. I think we know who the coaches thought were the better backs.

All the snark in the world cannot take the preposterous out of that kind of dystopian historical revisionism and mirepresentations.​

No, I am obviously not saying Kirk Ferentz has never been wrong. I asked you for three examples of QBs. You give the three. As I said, the BB thing is just made up and you either made it up or believed someone who made it up. No one, and that means literally no one, including the player himself, has ever validated a single aspect of this 21 year old lie.

Your second example was almost as false, certainly misleading. If I gave you every fact you have just assumed you're still spreading a misleading idea. That competition lasted two games and you're still bitching, 14 years later. When the complete picture is included, your complaints sound even crazier. An in place starter being given the first chance to keep the job probably happens almost everywhere with almost every coach. Jake and Ricky split halves in the first game and played about the same, well. They were supposed to split halves at ISU but Ricky was awful, got benched with Iowa behind and Iowa came back with Jake at the helm. Ricky started every other game. Look at the two box scores for those games. The coaches judgment, you know after seeing the guys in practice every day, changed starters and went forward with Ricky based on potential, not proven, performance. AFTER JUST TWO GAMES.

Do you seriously think the coaches couldn't distinguish Paki from Adam and Brandon? Seriously, you think that? That's so utterly disrespectful to the coaches that have churned out high quality running backs almost every season. You think that those coaches were so blind to Adam that they started Paki thinking he was the best back is more likely than letting a popular player start and get a few carries against whatever cream puff we opened against that year. Paki only had 9 carries in that game and only 13 all year, he was replaced by Adam in the game, Adam had six more carries in that game alone. Adam had 181 carries, Brandon 162 and Paki had 13 carries that season. I think we know who the coaches thought were the better backs.

All the snark in the world cannot take the preposterous out of that kind of dystopian historical revisionism and mirepresentations.​
You were so, so close.

Not this shit again. At this point, who the hell cares how far SP can throw a football? Petras is a career 57% pass completion QB. More than 530 pass attempts. 57.1% in 2020. 57.3% in 2021. The worst starting QB in the Big Ten.

Bragging about his is arm strength is akin to raving about the pitching prospect who can throw a 100mph fastball.... incredible......but walks every other batter because he is wild AF.
Nate Stanley had a 58% completion rate. The spotlight of Iowa football and basketball puts a lot of pressure on these kids. I recall hearing about sports psychologists here but it seems it's not producing noticeable results.

I will say this all year. If Iowa does not have a top 60 offense (and/ or top half of B1G) Barta should let BF go. If that causes KF to leave, so be it. But if KF has yet another crappy offense and still think Brian should continue than KF does not have the best interest of Iowa Football.
[For the record, I am a huge KF fan, but he should have never hired his son as OC.]
Lol lol. You really think Barta is BF’s boss. Yeah man good laugh.

Tells you our offensive line is young. A lot of very talented and highly recruited young guys moving into those positions. The center position will probably regress but every other position should improve.
Yep and highlights aside from Tyler our OL last year was not good. Not in run blocking and not in pass blocking.

Can he suddenly become agile? Not likely.

Can he suddenly become an accurate passer? Not likely.

Can he suddenly scramble and make unscripted plays happen or pick up first downs with his feet? Not likely.

Glad you are rooting for him though. I’m sure it makes all the difference. Homers are the only ones who should be allowed to voice an opinion about the most critical position on the entire team.

Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT