ADVERTISEMENT

Spending NIL Money

percyland

HR MVP
Apr 16, 2011

Get a little bit of money and buys watches and jewelry? Who is educated these young guys on how to handle money?

This also makes you want to donate to the NIL. So they can blow it on stupid sh*t. 98% of these kids unless they get a long term contract in the NFL will be flat broke within a year. And even if they get those big contracts most still go broke.

These guys don't need that kind of "walking around" money. Notwithstanding the fact that the whole thing is borderline corrupt, but given where we are in this, I'd be in favor of putting money in some sort of trust that they earn upon completion of their commitment to the school. The schools would actually be doing these guys a favor that they ultimately will appreciate. Giving them some actual "walking around" money is fine, but that doesn't take much for someone in college.

I’ve said it 💯 times if I’ve said it once…..WE are the problem.

WE created this shit storm….

When Russel Wilson and Kyler Murray are making 49 million and 46 million respectively….

18 players in the NBA MAKE 40 mill plus per year and the avg is 9.7 and…

… Shohe Ohtani makes 70 million…

I mean why do you think that is?

We drive the market. We are obsessed!! Think about how many people in the world right this very second are on Sport message boards, talking and obsessing about coaches and players and drafts and recruits and NIL…

We are responsible for the situation we’re in.

Forcing out coaches, million dollar buyouts on top of each other, etc, etc, etc…

It’s why I honestly won’t shed a tear if we fall off the face of the earth and start sucking for a while. I’m sometimes embarrassed, I’m such a big sports fan.

I know of at least one SEC school that helps players set up Roth IRAs, using their NIL money to ensure they have some financial security when their playing days are over.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'm going on record, this new era of NIL + unlimited transfers is going to sink the ship.

If things aren't soon reeled in and rules put in place, it will kill the golden goose.

The majority of college sports fans won't invest (monetarily or emotionally) in teams where rosters are almost entirely made up of players who behave like mercenaries just looking for the biggest payday every year. Not too mention that it's not the schools who are directly paying their salaries, but the fans. Schools are still raking in tens of millions every year off of all this, but outside of overpaying for coaches have no real skin in the game.

That complete lack of free agent control doesn't even exist in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT