ADVERTISEMENT

Sports movie mistakes/inaccuracies that drive you nuts

I mean....this is clearly a balk. You can't use the rosin bag to deceive the runner. Also, you can't do it after time being called, which I assume it was since they were all huddled up.

Reactions: nelly02
You must not have watched the movie.
The movie came out in 1990 and was in production for years prior to that. This had just happened 10 years earlier at Daytona. You dang right they bashed and banged back then. How you think Dale Earnhardt got his nickname?

It gets worse. LaRusso was competing in the All Valley Under 18 Karate Tournament. Mr. Miyagi had given him a car just a few days earlier...when Daniel turned 18!!!
Lots of rules were broken in that tournament.

I’ll give the age one a break tho - lots of youth sports allow partipating if your birthday was before a specific date.

Daniel wins the karate tournament with a kick to the face when that is against the rules as explained at the start.
Not to mention that Bobby gets disqualified for a dangerous and intentional kick to the knee against Daniel, but Johnny catches and holds Daniel's leg and has him in a vulnerable positions and chooses to perform an elbow drop to the knee and isn't disqualified. Johnny's was much more obviously intentional and clearly more dangerous.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Not to mention that Bobby gets disqualified for a dangerous and intentional kick to the knee against Daniel, but Johnny catches and holds Daniel's leg and has him in a vulnerable positions and chooses to perform an elbow drop to the knee and isn't disqualified. Johnny's was much more obviously intentional and clearly more dangerous.
This was addressed in Cobra Kai (season 1)

Actors who don't know how to throw a ball.

Not a sports movie.....but despicable form..

frank_underwood-baseball.gif

It gets worse. LaRusso was competing in the All Valley Under 18 Karate Tournament. Mr. Miyagi had given him a car just a few days earlier...when Daniel turned 18!!!
I could very well be wrong it's been quite awhile since I've seen it but I thought it was his 16th birthday...I thought he turned 16 because earlier when he went on the date with Allie his mom had to drive him and I thought this was because he wasn't 16 yet.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I saw a football movie once where a kickoff returner, as he was falling out of bounds, threw the ball forward.

Most unrealistic thing I’ve seen.

There was something in Hoosiers that never added up. I'll have to re-watch. I think it might have been the number of the players on the bench/team
Hoosiers also had some screw ups when the scoreboard was shown. For example, early in the game the scoreboard might show a score of something like 25-20 and then later in the game the score might be like 17-13. Pretty good defense I guess.

Although it wasn't a sports movie, there was also a scene in Oppenheimer where they had a rally at Alamosa where some people were waving little American flags that had 50 stars on them instead of the 48 stars of that time.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
The Breakfast Club - Emilio Estevez as a wrestler who is eating a several thousand calorie lunch.

Um, nope.

Especially in the late 80's. HS wrestlers back then were always cutting weight. Poor bastards would sit at the lunch table and watch us eat all the while spitting into a plastic cup. I don't think they had rules back then about weight cutting.

I knew a guy that was wrestling ten or more under in the same time frame (also a three time Minnesota state champ, one time All American - so not a scrub)

Hoosiers also had some screw ups when the scoreboard was shown. For example, early in the game the scoreboard might show a score of something like 25-20 and then later in the game the score might be like 17-13. Pretty good defense I guess.

Although it wasn't a sports movie, there was also a scene in Oppenheimer where they had a rally at Alamosa where some people were waving little American flags that had 50 stars on them instead of the 48 stars of that time.

Can't believe i missed that in Oppenheimer. That is something I would generally notice and then annoy my wife by pointing it out.

That’s really a bad error. I wonder if one could find a 48.

Yes, although I’m not sure there was anything unrealistic from a sports standpoint. Was there?
Are you serious? The blocking the kid off the field is the obvious one but then add in the practice scenes and portraying Hugh Freeze as an incompetent coach and it's awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT