ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Depth Chart & Roster Notes

Logan is 6'3" and 285 as of 15 days ago when I saw him and expects to be at 290 by fall camp which is exactly the same size as Linderbaum last year. I can't remember Iowa hardly ever having a center bigger than 290lbs.
Myslinski not even listed at C, thought he was heir apparent for some time now. I like the Jones addition but wondering on Myslinski status now.

I really like our receivers, though Ragaini is a head scratcher, he seems to have plateaued, I like Jones and Bruce pushing him for PT.

LB's really good and RB's will surprise a lot of folks....(if)

I hope this O Line performs better than last year.

I have to think QB is wide open?
We should all know by now that the depth chart for skilled players means very little. Bruce lV wasn't even on the depth chart most of last year, and he still played a LOT down the stretch. He and Jones will play a great deal....

Logan is 6'3" and 285 as of 15 days ago when I saw him and expects to be at 290 by fall camp which is exactly the same size as Linderbaum last year. I can't remember Iowa hardly ever having a center bigger than 290lbs.
Good point. I think I was just channeling my preference for huge interior linemen.

I've watched this movie for 22 years. I have a pretty damn good idea of what we are going to get.

22 years in, ZERO outright conference championships.
Besides tOSU, very few Big ten teams have outright Big ten championships over the last 20 years, at least Iowa has a couple shared before the days of the championship game. ;)

DE looks most concerning on paper. No Ethan Hurkett listed - maybe he is still injured? He played well last year before his injury.

Arkansas has TE’s at 290

I really like our receivers, though Ragaini is a head scratcher, he seems to have plateaued, I like Jones and Bruce pushing him for PT.

LB's really good and RB's will surprise a lot of folks....(if)

I hope this O Line performs better than last year.

I have to think QB is wide open?
QB is not open. Hasn't been since he was chosen as a sophomore.

QB is pretty much set in stone I personally believe. We will see, but I’m not expecting much from the offense. In the bowl game we had moments but we’re consistently derailed by the same poor QB play from Petras. I’m sure he’s a wonderful human, but that unfortunately doesn’t always correlate directly to success on the football field.

Serious question; Does anyone actually believe Joe Labas will de-thrown a 2-year starter in Petras AND his backup AP, who started 4 games last season?

Edit: As a true sophomore with 0 starts, let alone game experience whatsoever.

Serious question; Does anyone actually believe Joe Labas will de-thrown a 2-year starter in Petras AND his backup AP, who started 4 games last season?

If it does happen or he gets time, it's definitely Kirk 4.0. I would love to hear the complex talk of which coaches are lobbying for who or if Kirk just pulls out the gavel and says "SP is the starter, end of discussion," his loyalty has been discussed since the inception of Rivals is admirable but can also be detrimental to the success of the team when even a casual fan can see the writing on the wall.
And no, don't give us 'fans' the line of 'you don't see practice, film sessions, etc,'..I don't NEED to, the film don't lie and with our defense and special teams last year and most likely this year, a moderate P5 QB gets us a few more wins, all we need is for SP/AP/JL to be Craig Krenzel 2002.

When's the last time a KF depth chart listed the 3rd QB at all, let alone in the spring.

That's extremely notable to me, and I was still expecting SP to be the starter game 1.

QB is not open. Hasn't been since he was chosen as a sophomore.
Have to agree with this.... He's a game manager and that's what Kirk likes.... Win with the D and ST and ask your O not to F up too much. Problem is when you need your O to score on a game winning drive to win it then they throw a game ending pic.

That's the problem Purdue rotates through 3 QB's in 1 game and we let starter play entire game even if winning late and never blow anyone out so we never get to see how backups can perform. The offense has been tough to watch for a long time now. Bet the unders!

I thought the O-line did a nice job against KY after being humbled by MI in the B1G game. I'm not sure if KF added some "personal attention" during the Bowl prep period, but hopefully they'll arrive for Spring Practice with the game they showed Jan 1st. Michigan's defense was really good last year, and I'm sure every member of the O-line is looking forward to the rematch at Kinnick this year.

our Oline is still young.... especially by our standards..... being a “developmental” program

Players leaving for the NFL early has seemingly impacted us more than a lot of other programs.... that being said the experience these guys got so early should pay dividends hopefully..... every year in the weight room they should get much better physically

We need to find some young FB’s those guys are all seniors..... maybe a couple LB’s that aren’t seeing the field there

After seeing TL get hurt and miss the combine and pro day.... hard to blame guys for sitting out the bowl games

Reactions: David1979
In the bowl game we had moments but we’re consistently derailed by the same poor QB play from Petras. I’m sure he’s a wonderful human, but that unfortunately doesn’t always correlate directly to success on the football field.
I think it is definitely possible that most high tolerance Hawkeye fans finally maxxed out on Petras during the bowl game vs. Kentucky.

For me, repeatedly locking-in and forcing throws to a tightly covered LaPorta was exasperating and pushed me more towards my limit.

Then, the 4thQ incomplete pass to Ragaini who was running wide-open and uncovered on a deep cross-field route sent me to the liquor cabinet. Petras overthrew him by a good ten yards and the ball sailed well into the sidelines.

Right after that play, The TV cameras panned up to the stands where two Hawk fans were seen making the gesture depicted below to each other ...and you could clearly see the one fan shaking his head and mouthing these words:: "he was wide-open".......

OGC.ca22ee79315ba50866e0e927957b9061

When's the last time a KF depth chart listed the 3rd QB at all, let alone in the spring.

That's extremely notable to me, and I was still expecting SP to be the starter game 1.

I would agree that Labas being listed on this depth chart is noteworthy.

If he is just a flat out better QB, he will start. The coaches ain't as dumb as you rubes think they are.

I would add Pittman and Bowie.
Both interesting reserves. Pittman is intriguing to me because of the way Kelvin Bell described him when he arrived. Bell repeatedly mentioned Pittman's tremendous quickness and speed. Add that to the fact that he was listed at 303lbs as a freshman and you can imagine that, with Bell's guidance, Iowa might have a force on the DL when he gets more experience.

Both interesting reserves. Pittman is intriguing to me because of the way Kelvin Bell described him when he arrived. Bell repeatedly mentioned Pittman's tremendous quickness and speed. Add that to the fact that he was listed at 303lbs as a freshman and you can imagine that, with Bell's guidance, Iowa might have a force on the DL when he gets more experience.
Yep, 8-9 deep on DL is a big advantage later in games and for the season, fresh legs to get to the passer!

Reactions: easy2 and nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT