ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Observations

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
Got to take in the spring practice today, and also was at the Coach's Clinic weekend a month ago and posted on that experience and shared my perspective. I've seen them on the bookends of their spring camp.

As a general observation, the offense has made decent strides since March 26. It was evident on the field. There is still a lot of learning going on, and it will continue through the summer. They've had 15 practices to install 85% of a new offense with new language, and a TON of mental reps throughout (field, classroom). They appeared to be on schedule in terms of what one would realistically expect at this stage. Still plenty of work to put in.

I learned that the staff is actively mining the transfer portal for a QB, not necessarily to compete with Cade but rather to strengthen the room and compete for #2. The QB will have to fit Tim's eyes and what he is looking. If there is not a fit to be found, then so be it. If there is, then summer work will be more dynamic. You know that Cade, once cleared, will be leading the charge daily to nail everything down prior to fall camp - and the other QBs and skill players will need to keep pace.

Keep in mind that the offense is going up against a legit top 5 defense that shows no mercy. Phil runs his show hardcore and is out to win every single play in practice. I'm pretty sure Iowa will face only one top 5 defense in the '24 regular season - @ Ohio State (5th game, 6th week).

Other notes and thoughts from today:
  • Far more open receivers than at any point last season. Refreshing to see open options. Now progression development needs to catch up.
  • Quick dump passes were effective , averaging around 4-5 yards a pop. As designed. This will keep opposing defenses more honest.
  • Kaleb Johnson was impressive. Beat the edge quite a few times. Looks like his burst has improved. Also better blocking and going up against new edges.
  • Rhys has a VERY big leg for a 19 year old. Has distance and touch, just needs more reps to gain greater consistency. Give him a break when he shanks one here and there, and he will, when the first bullets start flying. Tough kid with a strong mind, so expecting him to adapt fairly quickly.
  • Dayton Howard had a bit of a rough day, Can get open with scheme and speed/quick cuts. Fairly wide open on a couple plays but had the dropsies today. Needs to get the hands and route work in this summer. Definitely a keeper.
  • Hoffman looks the part at TE, and is working on playing the part. Had a drop for a would-be TD (great separation), which looked to be over-trying or overthinking. He has the tools and should improve nicely.
  • Kaleb Brown is a level above where he was last year, and he is certainly a very talented WR and a legit threat. He's the kinda guy that defenses need know where he is and account for. This offense is a great fit for his skill set. He is looking like he could have a big year.
  • Washington could the next best threat we have. His orientation to the WR position is improving, and if he gets an open crease he most likely is gone. Excellent speed and open field awareness. Had a long TD, should have been tackled, but outran good angles.
  • Nestor and Lutmer are flashing brightly. Good to see the added depth and the building of a succession plan.
  • Lainez has improved, but still has more work ahead of him to get to #2. He's young and working with a new offense. Lots of thinking out there. Not yet comfortable enough with everything being thrown at him.
  • Motions, concepts and schemes tripped up the defense quite a few times. Both sides of the ball are learning and improving with this offense installation. It's good news for the O when you fool the eyes of a top defense that is known for its structure and discipline.
  • The defense is what you would expect minus a couple of hiccups. Lester's offense is keeping them honest, so they have to work like they haven't had to the past few years. All good, all around for the Hawks.
Looking forward to seeing what will happen between now and August, but I like the direction they're heading.

DB

Got to take in the spring practice today, and also was at the Coach's Clinic weekend a month ago and posted on that experience and shared my perspective. I've seen them on the bookends of their spring camp.

As a general observation, the offense has made decent strides since March 26. It was evident on the field. There is still a lot of learning going on, and it will continue through the summer. They've had 15 practices to install 85% of a new offense with new language, and a TON of mental reps throughout (field, classroom). They appeared to be on schedule in terms of what one would realistically expect at this stage. Still plenty of work to put in.

I learned that the staff is actively mining the transfer portal for a QB, not necessarily to compete with Cade but rather to strengthen the room and compete for #2. The QB will have to fit Tim's eyes and what he is looking. If there is not a fit to be found, then so be it. If there is, then summer work will be more dynamic. You know that Cade, once cleared, will be leading the charge daily to nail everything down prior to fall camp - and the other QBs and skill players will need to keep pace.

Keep in mind that the offense is going up against a legit top 5 defense that shows no mercy. Phil runs his show hardcore and is out to win every single play in practice. I'm pretty sure Iowa will face only one top 5 defense in the '24 regular season - @ Ohio State (5th game, 6th week).

Other notes and thoughts from today:
  • Far more open receivers than at any point last season. Refreshing to see open options. Now progression development needs to catch up.
  • Quick dump passes were effective , averaging around 4-5 yards a pop. As designed. This will keep opposing defenses more honest.
  • Kaleb Johnson was impressive. Beat the edge quite a few times. Looks like his burst has improved. Also better blocking and going up against new edges.
  • Rhys has a VERY big leg for a 19 year old. Has distance and touch, just needs more reps to gain greater consistency. Give him a break when he shanks one here and there, and he will, when the first bullets start flying. Tough kid with a strong mind, so expecting him to adapt fairly quickly.
  • Dayton Howard had a bit of a rough day, Can get open with scheme and speed/quick cuts. Fairly wide open on a couple plays but had the dropsies today. Needs to get the hands and route work in this summer. Definitely a keeper.
  • Hoffman looks the part at TE, and is working on playing the part. Had a drop for a would-be TD (great separation), which looked to be over-trying or overthinking. He has the tools and should improve nicely.
  • Kaleb Brown is a level above where he was last year, and he is certainly a very talented WR and a legit threat. He's the kinda guy that defenses need know where he is and account for. This offense is a great fit for his skill set. He is looking like he could have a big year.
  • Washington could the next best threat we have. His orientation to the WR position is improving, and if he gets an open crease he most likely is gone. Excellent speed and open field awareness. Had a long TD, should have been tackled, but outran good angles.
  • Nestor and Lutmer are flashing brightly. Good to see the added depth and the building of a succession plan.
  • Lainez has improved, but still has more work ahead of him to get to #2. He's young and working with a new offense. Lots of thinking out there. Not yet comfortable enough with everything being thrown at him.
  • Motions, concepts and schemes tripped up the defense quite a few times. Both sides of the ball are learning and improving with this offense installation. It's good news for the O when you fool the eyes of a top defense that is known for its structure and discipline.
  • The defense is what you would expect minus a couple of hiccups. Lester's offense is keeping them honest, so they have to work like they haven't had to the past few years. All good, all around for the Hawks.
Looking forward to seeing what will happen between now and August, but I like the direction they're heading.

DB
Thoughts on Hill?

Appreciate the thoughtful write up. Way too many hot takes and doomposting in the other thread. I read in a few places that the offense has clearly improved. Honestly, for the situation we were in just 5 months ago, this is a very encouraging thing to hear. The more time they work, the better they'll get.

The first 4 games of the season are all winnable, two of which I think we'll be favored by 2-3 TDs. ISU and Minni aren't great teams, with Minni being the better of the two, and is the last team before our first bye week. That could help the team get the reps they need before we start playing Wisky, Washington, and UCLA.

It looks like Lester is steering the ship in the right direction, they just need some more time (and possibly a portal QB).

Thanks. Appreciate the level-headedness.
I knows players are supposed to say the right things, but it genuinely seems like the offensive players are excited about the changes. And the defensive players have said there is much more to think about for them.
If Cade had played and looked great this board would be buzzing with optimism.

I thought Marco looked REALLY good when he was rolling out and the run up the middle. I don't know if the latter was called or a scramble, but it looked good! If he was 4/8 that is still better than hill was last year with the added benefit of someone that can run.
This is a good way to think about it. If this offense can get more receptions and 6-8 of them being bigger chunk plays plus a few good QB runs and and an above avg running game then the hawks prospects are great.

Thoughts on Hill?
I try to never give up on a player.

Deacon is highly respected in the locker room and coaches office because he handled being thrown in the fire (before being anywhere near prepared) with grit and toughness. He never ducked an interview and was as forthcoming as he could be regarding his performance. He's a great teammate, but (all things being equal) is a good option as an emergency QB, which is essentially the role he played last year.

He has a cannon for an arm, but cannon balls blow hands up and don't require pinpoint accuracy to do damage. Lester's offense requires quick processing, decision making and accuracy - with the demand that you don't turn the ball over. Deacon's not there right now.

The coach in me can see potential upside, and the teacher in me realizes that this is his third offense and OC in three years. He's perpetually trying to learn, which leads to overthinking, missing on progressions, and panicking when the clock in his head finally reaches zero in terms of releasing the ball. When he panics, he tries to overcompensate the time expiration and missed reads by firing cannon balls at perhaps not the best (open) target.

He has a lot of mental and mechanical improvement to make this summer, when the lights aren't on and the bullets aren't flying. He needs to slow things down. Perhaps finally having an OC that is an ex-QB will help.

You don't dump guys like Deacon. IMO he's #2 because of his game experience, and it's up to Marco to improve in order to take that spot. Marco is a RS Frosh who had little position coaching, tried to learn an overly complex offense straight out of HS, and is now getting his first exposure to a former QB with a great offensive mind and a high attention to the smallest of details.

We'll see what the summer and fall camp brings.

JMO

After reading this, I booked a flight back to Iowa City on December 19 as I’m expecting Kinnick to be hosting the first round of the college football playoffs! Let’s go!
I know this is sarcasm-laden comment but in your scenario the Hawks would need to finish 5-8 in playoff standings to get a game at kinnick, correct?
If the season went great and we lost at OSU only, then again in the BIG title game to OSU, would 11-2 get us in that mix?

If OSU runs the table they will be #1 all season, so losing to them only should not destroy Iowa in the rankings.
Yea..i am a glass half full guy.

Go Hawkeyes!

I understand there’s a loyalty factor with but I hope that’s just a PR move that they’re not looking for a QB to compete with him. Just get the best damn qb you can.
The pickings are slim right now at QB in the transfer portal. The ASU kid, highly ranked out of HS, is probably headed to Georgia. The Utah State kid has one half of a (mediocrre) year under his belt, is 5'10 185 and is visiting Utah Utes.

This is Lester's first crack at a P4 school to recruit a QB. If all the debbie downers are right and you need to have played the position in order to effectively recruit and coach it (think J Bud), then Iowa should be fine if a QB that fits is available in the portal.

Deacon is highly respected in the locker room and coaches office because he handled being thrown in the fire (before being anywhere near prepared) with grit and toughness. He never ducked an interview and was as forthcoming as he could be regarding his performance. He's a great teammate, but (all things being equal) is a good option as an emergency QB, which is essentially the role he played last year.

He has a cannon for an arm, but cannon balls blow hands up and don't require pinpoint accuracy to do damage. Lester's offense requires quick processing, decision making and accuracy - with the demand that you don't turn the ball over. Deacon's not there right now.

The coach in me can see potential upside, and the teacher in me realizes that this is his third offense and OC in three years. He's perpetually trying to learn, which leads to overthinking, missing on progressions, and panicking when the clock in his head finally reaches zero in terms of releasing the ball. When he panics, he tries to overcompensate the time expiration and missed reads by firing cannon balls at perhaps not the best (open) target.

He has a lot of mental and mechanical improvement to make this summer, when the lights aren't on and the bullets aren't flying. He needs to slow things down. Perhaps finally having an OC that is an ex-QB will help.

You don't dump guys like Deacon. IMO he's #2 because of his game experience, and it's up to Marco to improve in order to take that spot. Marco is a RS Frosh who had little position coaching, tried to learn an overly complex offense straight out of HS, and is now getting his first exposure to a former QB with a great offensive mind and a high attention to the smallest of details.

JMO
This is an interesting perspective and probably the most accurate one.

I have been very harsh about Deacon’s performance on the field (it’s never personal). With that said, there’s just no way his potential has been reached. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think his limitations (namely his lack of mobility) will ever be overcome, but there’s no way what we have seen from Deacon Hill in games is an accurate reflection of his ability.

I believe the same to be true for Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla, Marco Lainez, and even Cade McNamara.

There’s a common denominator here: Brian Ferentz. The disaster that has been the quarterback room just further adds to Brian’s legacy of gross incompetence and idiocy.

Lester has got to be privately thinking, WTF have these guys been learning/practicing here?

The pickings are slim right now at QB in the transfer portal. The ASU kid, highly ranked out of HS, is probably headed to Georgia. The Utah State kid has one half of a (mediocrre) year under his belt, is 5'10 185 and is visiting Utah Utes.

This is Lester's first crack at a P4 school to recruit a QB. If all the debbie downers are right and you need to have played the position in order to effectively recruit and coach it (think J Bud), then Iowa should be fine if a QB that fits is available in the portal.
My hope is the light bulb comes on for Lainez over the summer and the game slows down enough for him to play instinctively. I would feel much better about the quarterback situation if that occurred, especially with Cade’s health always a big question mark.

I think a realistic hope is that everything offensively improves gradually over time. I don’t see how it can’t. 1) Tim Lester is at the very least competent. 2) QB play has nowhere to go but up, and likely will with Lester’s influence. 3) By virtue of the Iowa offense no longer being absolutely vanilla and predictable, we are likely going to see many more big plays than we have the last 3 seasons combined, if for no other reason than defenses might be a little confused compared to what they have been used to from Iowa. 4) Iowa can only improve from where they ranked in about every statistical category last season.

Recruits/transfers see the Iowa offense no longer being a national punchline and having a style of play that no longer makes Y.A. Tittle blush, more will jump onboard. Lester is just going to have to develop the talent he has for now. And, frankly, there are some talented pieces to work with. Maybe not a lot, but there are some pieces to develop and work with all the same.

I know this is sarcasm-laden comment but in your scenario the Hawks would need to finish 5-8 in playoff standings to get a game at kinnick, correct?
If the season went great and we lost at OSU only, then again in the BIG title game to OSU, would 11-2 get us in that mix?

If OSU runs the table they will be #1 all season, so losing to them only should not destroy Iowa in the rankings.
Yea..i am a glass half full guy.

Go Hawkeyes!
Hell, if the refs didn’t steal the Minnesota game last year, we probably make a 12 team playoff at 11 and 2. Although losing by the margins we did to Penn State and Michigan put us more likely at 9 to 12 or just outside.

This is an interesting perspective and probably the most accurate one.

I have been very harsh about Deacon’s performance on the field (it’s never personal). With that said, there’s just no way his potential has been reached. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think his limitations (namely his lack of mobility) will ever be overcome, but there’s no way what we have seen from Deacon Hill in games is an accurate reflection of his ability.

I believe the same to be true for Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla, Marco Lainez, and even Cade McNamara.

There’s a common denominator here: Brian Ferentz. The disaster that has been the quarterback room just further adds to Brian’s legacy of gross incompetence and idiocy.

Lester has got to be privately thinking, WTF have these guys been learning/practicing here?
The other issue besides BF is Barnett. Why is KF having to spend his time there helping a guy who's supposed to be a great teacher? Of course the scheme they ran helped no one on offense when the defense knew what was coming . The positives are they are running Lesters offense. KF could have demoted BF to oline and brought in a real OC. All problems solved.

The other issue besides BF is Barnett. Why is KF having to spend his time there helping a guy who's supposed to be a great teacher? Of course the scheme they ran helped no one on offense when the defense knew what was coming . The positives are they are running Lesters offense. KF could have demoted BF to oline and brought in a real OC. All problems solved.
The short answer is I don’t know enough about OL play to render an opinion. A couple guys I won’t mention just looked like they had no business playing P5. I don’t know how much you put on Barnett for that.

I will say if noticeable improvement hasn’t been made this year now that Brian is gone Barnett has to go.

Coach Ferentz prides his teams on playing smart, tough, and physical. Part of playing smart is not turning the ball over. Our QBs showed to be far too generous with the football in this practice. In addition to the 4 INTs, there were at least two opportunities for sack-fumbles. Last year Hill threw 8 INT and fumbled 10 times, which is antithetical to way of Iowa Football.

With the OL still conceding pressure on the edges, and the deeper drops / routes we're seeing in this offense I would be concerned depending upon immobile QBs like McNamara and Hill. Marco's mobility gives us the ability to minimize losses, or turn losses into gains when things break down. Nothing new, it just points to the fact that in this offense the RPO has to at least have the threat of the QB running.

There were several opportunities against our #1 defense, to put the a defender in conflict off of motion, a mesh and then the QB running to the edge with the option to throw to the motion in the flat, or keep and try to beat the edge defender (CB mostly). But, you can't do that with Hill, and I'd be concerned to run McNamara much either.

At minimum I hope the coaches are communicating a plan to Marco for how they are planning to get him snaps and experience this year -- as he is much closer to what the Iowa Offense needs going forward.

Likely to change now that spring ball is wrapping up.

The short answer is I don’t know enough about OL play to render an opinion. A couple guys I won’t mention just looked like they had no business playing P5. I don’t know how much you put on Barnett for that.

I will say if noticeable improvement hasn’t been made this year now that Brian is gone Barnett has to go.
I am hopeful our new portal catch at C/G will be starting and we kick one of the interior linemen out to a tackle spot. I will say that the scheme we are running was easier on the eyes when it came to the running game. Some very positive movement in this are of the offense especially given who we were running against.

I do believe, though, that Ferentz put McNamara out there and let him move around so that he could be on video not moving well. That gets out on Twitter and will certainly get some QBs' attention.

I do believe, though, that Ferentz put McNamara out there and let him move around so that he could be on video not moving well. That gets out on Twitter and will certainly get some QBs' attention.
Seems like a strangely indirect way to recruit. Let's drop a hint, hope somebody sees it and interprets it the way we want them to...then maybe they'll call us?!

How bout just contacting QBs in the portal and telling them. HEY, our guy isn't healing well. We want you to come in and compete for the starting job.

Reactions: Bierhalter

I agree, the current second wave of portal qbs has been underwhelming thus far. I’m suspecting that’ll change here shortly.

Seems like a strangely indirect way to recruit. Let's drop a hint, hope somebody sees it and interprets it the way we want them to...then maybe they'll call us?!

How bout just contacting QBs in the portal and telling them. HEY, our guy isn't healing well. We want you to come in and compete for the starting job.
He's only four months out from surgery, I believe. It's way too early to say his knee isn't healing well. The optics of his movement, however, are powerful to prospective portal targets.

Or I could just be full of crap.

It is completely pointless at this time for Cade to be running around. Is it all speculation that he is not healing well based on video of him being careful or what?

He's only four months out from surgery, I believe. It's way too early to say his knee isn't healing well. The optics of his movement, however, are powerful to prospective portal targets.

I thought he got surgery in October? That would be 6 months based on weeks.

It is completely pointless at this time for Cade to be running around. Is it all speculation that he is not healing well based on video of him being careful or what?
He's moving around like most would be at this point in their rehab, which is why I believe they put him out there for a different point.

Ferentz has always spent most of his time with OL. That has nothing to do with Barnett.

I have no idea if Barnett is a good OL coach or not? I’m pretty confident in saying hardly anyone posting on this board knows either.

Coaching under what I believe to be at the very least, a competent OC this year should help answer that question.

I get what you're saying, but it seems like a strangely passive-aggressive (and inefficient) way of telling prospective QBs.

Unfortunately here's the most likely scenario.

Cade is not healthy enough to go on 8/31. KFz says "start Deacon". Fans boo when he takes the field. Team suffers, a good kid takes unnecessary abuse...all because the HC remains too stubborn.

Reactions: dadster and DewHawk
My hope is the light bulb comes on for Lainez over the summer and the game slows down enough for him to play instinctively. I would feel much better about the quarterback situation if that occurred, especially with Cade’s health always a big question mark.

I think a realistic hope is that everything offensively improves gradually over time. I don’t see how it can’t. 1) Tim Lester is at the very least competent. 2) QB play has nowhere to go but up, and likely will with Lester’s influence. 3) By virtue of the Iowa offense no longer being absolutely vanilla and predictable, we are likely going to see many more big plays than we have the last 3 seasons combined, if for no other reason than defenses might be a little confused compared to what they have been used to from Iowa. 4) Iowa can only improve from where they ranked in about every statistical category last season.

Recruits/transfers see the Iowa offense no longer being a national punchline and having a style of play that no longer makes Y.A. Tittle blush, more will jump onboard. Lester is just going to have to develop the talent he has for now. And, frankly, there are some talented pieces to work with. Maybe not a lot, but there are some pieces to develop and work with all the
Lainez is basically starting from 0 or worse after being in the program under BF for a year. He has further to go to catch up but with his athletic ability I can see him passing Hill. I would think after Lester looks at the tape from the scrimmage the opportunity for Lainez will increase. KF mentioned in his post scrimmage presser that a receiver was wide open in the end zone and wasn't thrown the ball. I don't know who the qb was for that play but I'm sure it will be a teaching opportunity.

JMO

I wish there were more posts like this….nice work. With a good spirit and realistic thoughts!

Reactions: RLMHAWK
Good advice.
Some fans prefer relentless negativity.
Life is way too short..thanks for your observations.

Excellent and sadly true ! Many prefer to be negative and mean spirited. Especially when no one knows who they are.

JMO
He’s a good emergency option? To me that’s like he saying if he’s your 3rd string qb option. But if you are implying back up no way can you make this claim. If any of our other backups were statistically the worst in the nation at that position (which deacon was last year) I wouldn’t feel or have much confidence with them no matter how much the locker room likes him. On top of qb being the most important position on the team.

College football is a business not a popularity contest. Way too many flaws with deacons game. Honestly what does he do well? It’s readily apparent Iowa needs to find an upgrade over him which shouldn’t be too hard to find one. If he’s over Marco that’s just an indictment to how poorly Iowa has recruited and developed the position. If he wants to stay and finish his career at Iowa as 3rd string so be it. But if KF & Lester and rest of the staff are serious about winning and have concerns with cades health they go out and upgrade the weakest spot on the roster which is backup qb.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT