ADVERTISEMENT

Star injured???

Saw the replay. Man feel bad for the kid. He may be PSU but love watching good kids wrestle. He ain’t ultra flashy but would love to see him go for four healthy.
I agree! He’s one of my least favorite PSU wrestlers but I still want him to be healthy and have a chance to win 4! He’s clearly put in the work!

I agree! He’s one of my least favorite PSU wrestlers but I still want him to be healthy and have a chance to win 4! He’s clearly put in the work!
I was lucky enough to meet a guy from his high school. He spoke highly of Starocci and thought he was a very nice kid. Obviously some guys are more brash but he spoke well of him as a regular fellow off the mat.

Can we just agree that it's two passionate fan bases with some idiots on both sides? Spencer took some crap for sure, but Kem didn't get any hate if I remember correctly. Same goes for Nolf. I don't remember any negative comments. Just support. A Starocci injury is going to be treated differently than, say, a Brooks. Sucks, but that's kinda human nature.

Personally, I think getting pumped over some kid getting injured is straight garbage. No matter how they handle themselves. That being said, I can't help but celebrate certain losses more than others. Guess I'm a long way from sainthood, and a bit of a hypocrite lol.
Well said.

Just trying to give basic medical information. I have no direct connection to anyone on the PSU team, but I do see a lot of general misinformation on a variety of boards.
A dislocated knee is a catastrophic injury requiring immediate arteriogram and other emergent treatment. I have treated a few, and saw the follow up of an all army track athlete who lost his leg following a poorly diagnosed knee dislocation. A knee cap dislocation (patella) is a much less severe injury, that can rehab in as little as a few weeks depending on the patient. I think that injury is not likely in the scenario I saw.
Most likely for this, based on the two different angles I saw , is LCL injury and/or meniscus injury.
Sometimes the ligamentous injury is not too serious even though it is immediately very painful, and can have a short recovery. Even with a complete tear of the LCL, with the proper bracing and rehab, I would expect Carter to get through the tournament in similar fashion to Jason Nolf, if there are no untoward complications.
With a small meniscal tear there could be the same result, although in that case there can be more episodes of knee giving way due to the meniscus catching in the joint intermittently, which is a little less predictable than the course following a LCL injury.

I was lucky enough to meet a guy from his high school. He spoke highly of Starocci and thought he was a very nice kid. Obviously some guys are more brash but he spoke well of him as a regular fellow off the mat.
The funny thing was that when I said that I meant for it to sound like I really like most of the PSU guys, even though most beat our asses, but he's just not one of those guys like say Brooks who I really think the world of, and am even more impressed than ever with the way he jumped to 97 and never missed a beat. In the end I got nothing but love for most of the kids in college wrestling. In the end they're all just chasing their dreams and in the case of the PSU guys they simply chose "the other" school. :)

Last edited:
Just trying to give basic medical information. I have no direct connection to anyone on the PSU team, but I do see a lot of general misinformation on a variety of boards.
A dislocated knee is a catastrophic injury requiring immediate arteriogram and other emergent treatment. I have treated a few, and saw the follow up of an all army track athlete who lost his leg following a poorly diagnosed knee dislocation. A knee cap dislocation (patella) is a much less severe injury, that can rehab in as little as a few weeks depending on the patient. I think that injury is not likely in the scenario I saw.
Most likely for this, based on the two different angles I saw , is LCL injury and/or meniscus injury.
Sometimes the ligamentous injury is not too serious even though it is immediately very painful, and can have a short recovery. Even with a complete tear of the LCL, with the proper bracing and rehab, I would expect Carter to get through the tournament in similar fashion to Jason Nolf, if there are no untoward complications.
With a small meniscal tear there could be the same result, although in that case there can be more episodes of knee giving way due to the meniscus catching in the joint intermittently, which is a little less predictable than the course following a LCL injury.
How often is there an LCL tear with no other ligament damage? Are there degrees of LCL damage? Strain, sprain, stretch, etc.

Last edited:
It was posted on the 1st page of this post that Starocci would not do Big Tens and then probably take the 4th seed at NCAAS and go from there... but I think it a terrible disservice to the original #2 seed who now moves into that top bracket and has to face #4 in the semis rather than meeting him in the Finals.... the number 3 seed has to be elated if he gets away without facing the 2 seed and has an easier path to the Finals... maybe i am wrong but this is how I see this playing out

It was posted on the 1st page of this post that Starocci would not do Big Tens and then probably take the 4th seed at NCAAS and go from there... but I think it a terrible disservice to the original #2 seed who now moves into that top bracket and has to face #4 in the semis rather than meeting him in the Finals.... the number 3 seed has to be elated if he gets away without facing the 2 seed and has an easier path to the Finals... maybe i am wrong but this is how I see this playing out

It always works that way though, which is unfortunate. It will suck at B10s that Kennedy will probably lose to Griffith in the semis and have to fight like hell for third, while the 4 or 13 get to make it to the finals. You'd think they could just use common sense and know that if Starocci is out, you do a 13 man bracket and if he can go at Nationals he gets a wild card anyway. Don't need to go through all the trouble of him actually getting on the mat to lose in one second via injury default a couple times. Screws up his win-loss record for historical purposes but doesn't actually accomplish anything. Now if Kennedy was the four seed and going to get that two point forfeit win and make the finals that way I might be thinking differently in this case ;).

Yeah maybe. Or you look at it like now you're facing him at less than 100% and you don't face the now #2 until the finals instead of the semis.
Beyond that, I actually like Kennedy to beat a less than 100% starocci more than about anyone else bc of his style and pace. Lewis and Griffith being slower paced more counter wrestlers will be easier for an injured starocci to deal with imo.

I know its a stretch and It has never happened since Cael came to PSU but wouldn't you think it's time for them to have a down NCAA's. Just by odds alone. Nagoa has not looked the same since his early season injury, Van Ness goes down, now Carter is injured. Maybe just maybe it's their turn to have a run of bad luck. I will never call any team or any wrestler a lock to win it again. I've seen superior teams and athletes lose too many times. You never know who is going to be sick, get injured, have an off tourney, or rise to the occasion.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Are there levels of a strain? I, II, III?
Yes, different grades, but I’m sure they will keep this information close to the vest. Don’t want opponent to know too much. Our coaches are experts at this. Even after Matt M lost and his career was over, Brands still wouldn’t say what was wrong, just said he needs healing time.

I know its a stretch and It has never happened since Cael came to PSU but wouldn't you think it's time for them to have a down NCAA's. Just by odds alone. Nagoa has not looked the same since his early season injury, Van Ness goes down, now Carter is injured. Maybe just maybe it's their turn to have a run of bad luck. I will never call any team or any wrestler a lock to win it again. I've seen superior teams and athletes lose too many times. You never know who is going to be sick, get injured, have an off tourney, or rise to the occasion.
I appreciate your optimism, but it would take a catastrophic meltdown on their part and a lot of things to break iowas way in order for them to not win.

Reactions: Muscles1989
I appreciate your optimism, but it would take a catastrophic meltdown on their part and a lot of things to break iowas way in order for them to not win.
I agree. They would need Nagoa, Davis, Starocci, and Kasak not to place, Mesenbrink, Bartlett, Truax and Haines not reach the finals and Iowa would have to wrestle lights out. A peaking healthy Iowa team vs a sick injury depleted PSU team would be our only chance and it still may not be enough.

I know its a stretch and It has never happened since Cael came to PSU but wouldn't you think it's time for them to have a down NCAA's. Just by odds alone.
Odds that "something different is due to happen" are for random events. Having your team up nearly every year falls under skill and not a random event.

If that's the case, he might have to beat another guy going for his 4th to get it, as Askren has said many times that Keegan is moving up to 174 next year.
Good news for Caliendo/kennedy. Bad news for Gabe, but he definitely has the strength and athleticism to hang with him, just has to continue working technically, because this is what separates O toole from the rest.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Odds that "something different is due to happen" are for random events. Having your team up nearly every year falls under skill and not a random event.
Not necessarily. You don't think Iowa lost when coached by Gable when they were supposed to win? It will happen to Cael too. Most likely not this year but it will happen. With your logic the Giants should not have beat the Patriots once let alone twice. Goofy things happen in sports. The ole saying, "thats why you play them"

I know it’s a stretch and It has never happened since Cael came to PSU but wouldn't you think it's time for them to have a down NCAA's. Just by odds alone. Nagoa has not looked the same since his early season injury, Van Ness goes down, now Carter is injured. Maybe just maybe it's their turn to have a run of bad luck. I will never call any team or any wrestler a lock to win it again. I've seen superior teams and athletes lose too many times. You never know who is going to be sick, get injured, have an off tourney, or rise to the occasion.
Bad luck like:

• Losing Suriano to injury in the last dual meet of the season?
  • Nolf suffering a catastrophic knee injury the last weekend of January his junior year?
  • Cassar re-dislocating his shoulder while preparing to make an Olympic run during his last NCAA season?
  • Berge tearing his knee in the QFs at nationals?
  • Berge being knocked unconscious during a match and not wrestling for a season and a half?
  • Starocci suffering a fracture in his hand two years ago?
  • Robbie Howard tearing his shoulder at nationals in 2021 as a true freshman? And reinjuring it since?
  • Van Ness reinjuring his knee and missing 2 of the last 3 seasons?
Etc. Plenty of bad luck over the years at PSU too.

Last edited:
Bad luck like:

• Losing Suriano to injury in the last dual meet of the season?
  • Nolf suffering a catastrophic knee injury the last weekend of January his junior year?
  • Cassar re-dislocating his shoulder while preparing to make an Olympic run during his last NCAA season?
  • Berge tearing his knee in the QFs at nationals?
  • Berge being knocked unconscious during a match and not wrestling for a season and a half?
  • Starocci suffering a fracture in his hand two years ago?
  • Robbie Howard tearing his shoulder at nationals in 2021 as a true freshman? And reinjuring it since?
  • Van Ness reinjuring his knee and missing 2 of the last 3 seasons?
Etc. Plenty of bad luck over the years at PSU too.
Iowa had almost that many injuries that was as serious or more serious on the 2022 team alone.
Edit- Spencer third ACL tear
Jaydin ACL tear
Desanto Knee tweak
Kem Torn shoulder
Cass bad knee injury

Most of these injuries were in match by the way

Last edited:
Not necessarily. You don't think Iowa lost when coached by Gable when they were supposed to win? It will happen to Cael too. Most likely not this year but it will happen. With your logic the Giants should not have beat the Patriots once let alone twice. Goofy things happen in sports. The ole saying, "thats why you play them"
I think you may have misinterpreted by post. I am not saying that a down year cannot happen, even for successful coaches. I am saying that successful tournaments are not random events. Your original post made it seem like success was based on the flip of a coin, and that some day the odds favored tails to come up. Maybe I read your post incorrectly.

I think you may have misinterpreted by post. I am not saying that a down year cannot happen, even for successful coaches. I am saying that successful tournaments are not random events. Your original post made it seem like success was based on the flip of a coin, and that some day the odds favored tails to come up. Maybe I read your post incorrectly.
2021 Iowa NCAA champs
2022 exact same team decimated by injury and sickness. Good teams can have a bad tourney for a number of reasons, most commonly health. If a team gets hit with the flu right before NCAA's could be the difference in 1st and 3rd place. The Iowa team that wrestled Nebraska and Okie st beats Michigan.

Reactions: TNTwrestle and Hwt1
If that's the case, he might have to beat another guy going for his 4th to get it, as Askren has said many times that Keegan is moving up to 174 next year.
Hamiti will go up as well. Kharcala will be back but could go 165 with Rocco 174. Devos is back and Carter could still be back. So 174 will be tough . But Gabe is a 174 and he wants to RS so that's what he will do

2 or 3 guys would not be able to wrestle for this to happen

Iowa had almost that many injuries that was as serious or more serious on the 2022 team alone.
Edit- Spencer third ACL tear
Jaydin ACL tear
Desanto Knee tweak
Kem Torn shoulder
Cass bad knee injury

Most of these injuries were in match by the way
And ADS had a hand injury and that really affected his style as he used his crushing grips to wear down his opponents bicep/ triceps

The funny thing was that when I said that I meant for it to sound like I really like most of the PSU guys, even though most beat our asses, but he's just not one of those guys like say Brooks who I really think the world of, and am even more impressed than ever with the way he jumped to 97 and never missed a beat. In the end I got nothing but love for most of the kids in college wrestling. In the end they're all just chasing their dreams and in the case of the PSU guys they simply chose "the other" school. :)

I get it if you're near ,y age of 60 we grew up with more "sportsmanship" than we see these days. But as media has expanded and now that we have social media things are different. It's very easy to go this way or that way with something out of context.

Go watch a clip of Shane Gillis, the comedian, taken out of context he sounds pretty bad. But when you watch him you might find yourself laughi8ng pretty hard. At least me, but my sense of humor is 14 year old boy in 1977.

I get it if you're near ,y age of 60 we grew up with more "sportsmanship" than we see these days. But as media has expanded and now that we have social media things are different. It's very easy to go this way or that way with something out of context.

Go watch a clip of Shane Gillis, the comedian, taken out of context he sounds pretty bad. But when you watch him you might find yourself laughi8ng pretty hard. At least me, but my sense of humor is 14 year old boy in 1977.
Concur 100% WRT the sportsmanship comment. Just checked out Shane's SNL piece as well as his Why White People Like Country Music piece; that's some funny sh*t! Funny as hell the way he threw his dad under the bus for SNL. LOL! Thanks for sharing; I needed a good laugh today! :)

Concur 100% WRT the sportsmanship comment. Just checked out Shane's SNL piece as well as his Why White People Like Country Music piece; that's some funny sh*t! Funny as hell the way he threw his dad under the bus for SNL. LOL! Thanks for sharing; I needed a good laugh today! :)
Wait until you hear his Trump impersonation, top level stuff.

I have not laughed thtaat hard since the Diceman, Pryor, Murphy, |Redd Foxx, Cheech and Chong etc etc. Now remember he is a comedian so they take poetic license. Trump didn't literally say in his press conference what Gillis said, but it was a funny paraphrasing of the speech.

He makes great observations. Pa. is a very diverse state in mabny ways. I'm a country , small town boy. I hate Philly and Pittsburgh and would take the Quad Cities over them any day. Want to trade?

Maybe I should start a why Iowa sucks thread? 1. Why don't you people love Snyders of Hanover pretzels? Hint, O think Pa. is the number 1 pretzel state in the USA. The things I missed the most in Iowa was our pizza, try to find an Italian name in the Davenport phone book. I'm guessing things got better from the 1980s though.

But it's really nice when you can be in one of the most populated areas and in a few minute ride you're in more wide open spaces. And in 1 hour you can see a major show. I saw U2 at Carver in 1987 for example.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT